PDA

View Full Version : We have tables - here's how you use them.

Lady Vulpix
31st December 2009, 09:09 AM
I'm posting here to let everyone know that TPM now has table tags.

Tables are grids with an arbitrary number of rows and columns (please try not to use too many columns, though, as it could mess up the layout of the forum).

The number of columns is determined by the number of cells within a row. Remember that every row must have the same number of cells for the table to display properly.

You can now build tables like this:

1. First, you open a tag to create a table.
2. Then, you open a tag to create a row.
3. You can now create the cells for this row. Place the contents of each cell between tags.
4. Close the row with a tag.
5. Repeat steps 2 thru 4 for all the other rows. Remember to put the same number of cells in each row. You may add empty cells like this: .
6. End the table with a tag.

For example:

would look like this:

You can also make tables with a visible border, by using tags.

Example:

[tableborder]

would look like this:

Remember to nest the tags correctly: either "table" or "tableborder" for the table, "tr" for the rows and "td" for the cells within each row.

I hope you enjoy this new feature.

Heald
31st December 2009, 09:25 AM
Nice. This will be perfect for the Ladder.

Thanks a lot Lady V!

Jeff
31st December 2009, 09:36 AM
Thankyou
LadyVulpix

Lady Vulpix
31st December 2009, 11:16 AM
Thankyou
LadyVulpix

You're welcome.
Thank DarkestLight for the idea. I thought about it a few years ago, but I didn't think it was possible. Now I saw his request and realized I had the power to do it now. :)

DarkestLight
31st December 2009, 04:17 PM
Oh god LV- i love you so much. Thank you so much. This helps ASB so much... you don't even know!

EDIT: Phone posts are all sorts of weird.

Anyway-warning folks. If you use table coding, and you feel your table is going to be large, keep all of the code in one line. If you don't, you are going to have a enormous amount of blank space at the top of the table. For some reason BBcode doesn't like line breaks in its code.

Lady Vulpix
1st January 2010, 12:53 PM
You're welcome. :)

The reason is that BB code translates line breaks into... line breaks. HTML line breaks, that is.

So yes, if you press 'Enter' you'll get a line break in your post, as usual.

mr_pikachu
4th January 2010, 03:27 PM
Thank you, Gabi. I've been wanting this feature restored ever since the big server move several years ago. It's been a serious pain running any kind of statistical table without these tags. Thanks for bringing them back!

Lady Vulpix
11th January 2010, 08:45 AM
We had them before? I never noticed. O_o

You're welcome, in any case.