PDA

View Full Version : One Year Topic (2010 edition)

Master Rudy
1st January 2010, 03:19 AM
Well I already called dibs on the new version in the old topic so here we go. Same general rules in Blade's original for 2009 apply: Keep this topic alive for one year, no matter what it takes. No matter how controversial or screwed-up it gets. In other words anything within reason and the normal rules of TPM goes. After all this isn't Mt. Moon......save the truely fucked up things for that :P

Here's a fairly tame question to start it off: what do you think the biggest event of the past decade was? I think without question it'd have to be 9/11. It was easily an event that defined quite a few things in the last decade.

Feel free to discuss either this event or your own memories of the decade to get things going......or simply go off in whatever direction you want. By now you all should know the deal with the one year topic ^_~

Heald
1st January 2010, 04:07 AM
9/11 was without a doubt a world-changing event; it put Islamic terrorism at the forefront of everyone's minds, gave governments a blank cheque to monger fear and shifted people's priorities in major ways; the Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts might not have happened as there was simply no taste for war before 9/11, or they would at least have been markedly different (for example, without 9/11, I doubt Britain would have been involved in either conflict).

There was no single one event that could possibly match 9/11 in terms of significance, but particular series of events definitely can match it for defining it, such as the economic meltdown, the rise of the Internet as the dominant format for relaying information and media, the growth of the climate change movement and the development of the EU superstate, as well as the nuclear ambitions of both North Korea and Iran and the posturing of Russia taking us closer to annihilation not seen since the height of the Cold War. We've also seen the vast growth of the economies of the Far East, and it will not be very long at all until China can seriously challenge the USA as the most powerful economy on the planet.

There has also been a stupidly high increase in the price of oil, thanks both in part to the decreasing stocks and OPEC's cartel control over oil. Either way, its long term sustainability as our major energy source is practically non-existant. I'm hoping that by 2020 oil will have a less than trivial role in our lives, but given the oil companies' iron grip on technology innovation and their ability to slow down the development of renewable energy sources, I doubt this will be a reality.

shazza
1st January 2010, 07:50 AM
It was a warm and pleasant Saturday in late 1999. My father was driving me to a friend’s house for a sleep over – as was the style at the time – and I began pondering about what the new decade, and indeed the new century will hold. Accurately, I intuitively deduced that the 2000’s will focus majorly around computers, the internet and enhanced communication – with the internet already rapidly becoming more popular, this was somewhat of an obvious conclusion; nonetheless, it was still quite thoughtful and wise to forebode such an idea at the youthful age of 10, especially in the words that I expressed, albeit not verbatim: “Dad, I bet in about five or six years, the computer and the internet will be as common and an essential part of the household as much as a television or fridge.”

I was, however, somewhat premature in my estimations. I don’t think the internet became a vital necessity until about 2006 or 2007: when social networking began to emerge and became a tool for the everyday man and the celebrity, websites – such as YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Google, Wikipedia, and more recently, Twitter – entered mainstream lingo, broadband was the norm and the medium to use the internet expanded from not just the computer, but have now just become as popular on our mobile phones, game consoles and car dashboards. Indeed, this is synonymous with Web 2.0 – the current era of the internet commonly associated with information sharing, user-centred design and collaboration on the World Wide Web.

I have both heard from peers and read from ‘experts’ that there is no clear distinction between the 1990’s and the 2000’s; that the 2000’s – or the Naughties – are simply an extension of the Nineties. Conversely, we have identifiable symbols and characteristics for when we think of the previous decades of the 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s. It has only been the past couple of years where we have gradually been able to see a clear distinction between the 1990’s and 2000’s; not just because of what the 2000’s has technologically expanded on from the 1990’s, but also distinguishing attributes that the 1990’s had that the 2000’s do not contain: popularity of grunge music, sports inspired clothing, ripped jeans, shock television, the Pokémon phenomenon etc. For many of us (Generation Y), the transition from the Nineties to the Naughties has been the first ever one we have witnessed first hand, thus the 1990’s fails to have that similar nostalgic feel that has been produced in the media that decades preceding it currently do – although, this will definitely change by the 2010’s.

The 2000’s has planted the seeds of the advanced technology we have only currently seen in sci-fi adventures; the internet will be at the forefront of further advancement as it transcends society. The internet – or to be more specific, Web 2.0 – has already begun transforming the world; the old, digital-free world has never been able to access information at the click of a button, or able to communicate with anyone from not only from afar at anytime, but now at any portable location. Previous generations who once completed schooling quickly lost touch and to not be heard of for decades at a time (and the internet has only been able to bring them together only recently), however our generation are the first where, for the most part, we will forever able to keep tabs if we continue to be active online, despite our current ‘offline’ location. We should consider ourselves extremely lucky for this fact.

Yet, we already take the internet for granted. Without the internet, and specifically Facebook, I can only assume that I would have lost contact with many during my years at university. I would not have kept in contact with family that live hours away. Without a mobile phone, how did we organise catch ups down the street or to find someone when meeting up? (I actually embarked on a recent encounter where my friend’s mobile phone batteries died and was lost in the Melbourne CBD. It reminded me of how strenuous and vexing such scenarios can be without today’s technology). Look at the highly popular 1990’s sitcom, ‘Seinfeld’. Many of its episodes centred on miscommunication and trying to find another with hilarious consequences; it would have been much easier (and far less humorous) if it were produced today, as they could merely use their mobile phones to rectify the situation. The internet has become the forefront of communication, surpassing the home telephone just as that surpassed the telegraph.

Telume
1st January 2010, 11:35 AM
9/11 was the biggest event definitely. I think that was one of the few times everyone actually backed Bush's decision. Lets not forget the copycat events either, such as the bombings in London and the subway bombings in Spain in 2004.

shazza
1st January 2010, 08:56 PM
...and the October 2002 Bali Bombings! Which the Australian Government's perceive it as the terrorists attack on Australia, when in reality terrorists couldn't give two shits about us. :lol:

Master Rudy
2nd January 2010, 01:01 AM
This got bombed, that got bombed......all in all I think the last decade as a whole just flat out bombed......
/end lame pun :heh:

Houndoom_Lover
4th January 2010, 12:21 PM
On the public radio station they talked about how Airlines are fracking up security by just letting people walk by and whatever...then trasitioned into the new story which was the revealing of the new talest build.

:L

mr_pikachu
4th January 2010, 02:47 PM
I disagree with everyone. The defining moment of the last decade was the founding of TPM.

Take that!

Blademaster
4th January 2010, 03:53 PM
OOOOH, SNAP!

Jeff
4th January 2010, 05:13 PM
I disagree with everyone. The defining moment of the last decade was the founding of TPM.

Take that!

Actually, TPM was founded in the '90s. The fourms were started in 2000.

Although yeah, that is still pretty momentous.

Master Rudy
5th January 2010, 01:44 AM
http://www.sjoerring-skole.thisted.dk/8b2001/fysik/nuke4.jpg
Well.....Drago nuked the original topic. NOW YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO POST IN MINE!!!! :D

Blademaster
5th January 2010, 12:15 PM
>implying this pathetic duplicate of my brilliance and originality is yours

toucheiruka
5th January 2010, 05:16 PM
Actually, TPM was founded in the '90s. The fourms were started in 2000.

Although yeah, that is still pretty momentous.
I second that.

Master Rudy
5th January 2010, 09:31 PM
>implying this pathetic duplicate of my brilliance and originality is yours

I never claimed the original was my idea. Hell I said the original was your idea in the very first post in this edition! As a result from this point forward you must give up your god given right to bitch about it :P

Blademaster
6th January 2010, 11:28 AM
Mmmm... No. Fuck you. I'll bitch about whatever I please.

Right now I feel like bitching over the fact that I live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and have no car, thus my entire day is more or less forfeit.

Master Rudy
6th January 2010, 11:52 PM
You know Blade it's as I keep on saying. Getting a job close to home will remedy that problem real quick. At minimum wage in the US if you worked about 30-35 hours a week you'd easily bring home about $200 per week give or take. If you save that over a period of two months that's $1600. Granted it's not going to buy you a 2010 Ford Mustang but it would be enough to get you a beat up clunker or put some spending money in your pocket ^_~

Blademaster
7th January 2010, 04:53 AM
I'm not much of a spender, though. I only very rarely buy things, even when the opportunity presents itself. Unless it's some food to keep myself alive... I really have a fucked-up monetary viewpoint. You never know when you'll have to live for awhile of $25, so HOLD ON TO IT. ALWAYS.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
7th January 2010, 06:17 AM
I'm a big spender. I spend what I have, but plan ahead for two weeks or so.

I live above my financial-state.

Houndoom_Lover
8th January 2010, 10:32 PM
I hurts my deep down when I hjave to spend money. Like a stab through the chest :L So I try to keep me spending my (not really) hard earned money as much as possible. I'm going to do work study this semester! ^w^ Plus the money realitives send me and the tiny bit I get from various projects that make money...and my birthday, and I'll be golden.

I hafta trasfer banks, fucking citizens bank charges two dollars every time I use an ATM machine other than their own. TWO DOLLARS! Those jerks! So, I'm gunna trasfer to Chase...or PNC, I hear they don't charge extra for ATM useage.

:3 I second you getting a funky used car, Blade. Think of all the places we will go! We can name it and everything! ....The Blademobile ^_^

Master Rudy
9th January 2010, 03:40 AM
I hafta trasfer banks, fucking citizens bank charges two dollars every time I use an ATM machine other than their own. TWO DOLLARS! Those jerks! So, I'm gunna trasfer to Chase...or PNC, I hear they don't charge extra for ATM useage.

Well I've used both of those banks. Both Chase and PNC can be very good. Chase however tends to put severe restrictions on your account and will even limit the types of accounts you can open if your credit is shot (they refused to let me open a free account and required at least $200 in at all times to avoid fees). PNC is much more laid back and their restrictions aren't too bad. I've been with them for two months and my only issue is the fact that they can't issue me a debit card until sometime in April. For now I'm using a pre-paid Mastercard for $5 a month with a $5 loading fee. Pain in the ass but a minor fee is a small setback if I can have access to my money at any time. Finding an ATM for your bank is sometimes a pain in the ass if your trying to avoid fees and surcharges. Plus there's the matter that checks are becoming more and more useless as more businesses stop accepting them as payment.

On a different note I'm going to go ahead and say that my one year topic is going to be bigger than Blade's. It took prodding from Blade to reach 500 posts and it was past the one year mark. Mine will do it before the end of the year with hopefully little to no spam replies :P

Blademaster
9th January 2010, 07:57 PM
Again, this isn't your topic. It's a cheap knockoff of mine.

Fag.

>:C

Magmar
10th January 2010, 12:26 PM

I'm an inappropriate for children thread reply! Woo!

Citizens Bank FUCKING SUCKS. They charged me $297 in overdraft fees over less than $10 worth of total overdrafting. Even when I called them and told them what happened (and their corporate headquarters or what-not is a mile away! so it wasn't hard), they still wouldn't refund me ANY of it. I fucking HATE Shitizens Bank. They charge $39! Fucking $39 for every time I bought coffee in the last two weeks because all the charges went through at once! Coffee doesn't even cost two friggin dollars. Blow me, Shitizens Bank.

Again, this isn't your topic. It's a cheap knockoff of mine.

Fag.

>:C

Blademaster, in a spin of true hypocrisy I bitch you out as follows: you can kindly reduce your racist, hurtful language towards a community in this forum, or I'll tell on you to the mods.

Blademaster
10th January 2010, 06:48 PM
Homos aren't a race. They're a sex.

...Right?

That's actually a good question for discussion...

Telume
10th January 2010, 07:13 PM
Homosexuality by definition isn't a race or gender it's a sexual orientation. There's only 2 genders male and female, now there are theories that state that there is a "3rd gender" but, then again write something on a napkin and submit it to the International Science Commitee or something and you just got your own theory.

Kind of like how so many things can cause cancer... apparently.

shazza
11th January 2010, 04:10 AM
Your face can cause cancer.

Magmar
12th January 2010, 08:36 PM
Homos aren't a race. They're a sex.

...Right?

Uhhhhh, congratulations, I may have been one of the few people here who didn't have you on my 'Retard' list, but you are now King Retard on that list. First of all, we're not effin' "homos", we're people and I would prefer to be called a person before a friggin homo. Secondly that sort of language is outdated and many people would be offended if they were called a homo, myself included but only because it shows me what an idiot you are, which I find offensive. Third, gender theory goes far deeper than penis=boy vagina=girl. Look into some gender/queer theory and see what's really out there.

But "homos" is just your way of trying to step yourself one step ahead of my game, Blademaster, and that's a position that you will never be in. You or anyone else here who wants to try to one-up someone based on race, class, gender, bilingualness, sexual orientation, boob size or whatever else they put on the bottom of job applications that indicate "we don't discriminate against." Learn how to be a little classier with the language you choose.

Finally, "retard" is also politically incorrect, which is why if I'm a homo or a fag in your vernacular, then you can be King Retard in mine and we'll call it even :)

Jeff
12th January 2010, 08:44 PM
Well, after a whole year of Blade hoping for controversy to grace his original brainchild, he manages to stir some up in this year's edition.

Magmar
12th January 2010, 08:47 PM
Well, after a whole year of Blade hoping for controversy to grace his original brainchild, he manages to stir some up in this year's edition.

Nah, I've just been waiting for a good excuse to call him out on being a retard for a couple years. Everyone always beats me to it, 'cuz I don't log in nearly often enough.

Telume
12th January 2010, 09:08 PM
Still, he posts to draw attention he does have his bright moments. And some of his posts do make me laugh.. sometimes.

kazr
12th January 2010, 09:19 PM
But "homos" is just your way of trying to step yourself one step ahead of my game, Blademaster, and that's a position that you will never be in.

There is heat radiating off of my monitor from this burn.

abunaidesu
12th January 2010, 10:58 PM
There is heat radiating off of my monitor from this burn.

to quote woz:

someone get some ointment for this burn, STAT!

Blademaster
13th January 2010, 02:18 AM
Uhhhhh, congratulations, I may have been one of the few people here who didn't have you on my 'Retard' list, but you are now King Retard on that list.

I aim to please. :D

But "homos" is just your way of trying to step yourself one step ahead of my game, Blademaster, and that's a position that you will never be in.

...Huh?

Learn how to be a little classier with the language you choose.

Oh. You thought I was saying homos in the derogatory word. I just said it 'cuz it's faster to type than 'gay people.' And yes, 'fag' is faster to type still, but that sounded a bit too mean.

Sorry if I pissed you off.

Finally, "retard" is also politically incorrect, which is why if I'm a homo or a fag in your vernacular, then you can be King Retard in mine and we'll call it even :)

Actually, you're "that stoned guy from 2000" in my vernacular.

Master Rudy
13th January 2010, 02:35 AM
Nah, I've just been waiting for a good excuse to call him out on being a retard for a couple years. Everyone always beats me to it, 'cuz I don't log in nearly often enough.

If Blade is a retard then what does that make some of the other people on these forums who are bigger idiots than him? :confused:
Sure he's got his moments. But overall he's not the idiot that some of you seem to think he is :P

Asilynne
13th January 2010, 08:21 PM
Im really cheap, I dont like spending money lol Which is how I saved up 1600 dollars for a plane ticket ^v^ And that was while paying bills/gas/food, I pat myself on the back ;D

Telume
13th January 2010, 09:08 PM
Im really cheap, I dont like spending money lol Which is how I saved up 1600 dollars for a plane ticket ^v^ And that was while paying bills/gas/food, I pat myself on the back ;D

I have a friend who's saving to go to Australia.

Asilynne
13th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Thats where Im going ;D its expensive as shit lol But its far away, they speak english and Ive got Elf, chaos and Ben being my guides so it should be fun times ^-^ Im taking soooo many pics XD

Next topic! Where do you/are you going on vacation in the near future and why?

Master Rudy
15th January 2010, 04:55 AM
Thats where Im going ;D its expensive as shit lol But its far away, they speak english and Ive got Elf, chaos and Ben being my guides so it should be fun times ^-^ Im taking soooo many pics XD

Next topic! Where do you/are you going on vacation in the near future and why?

Ah....vacation. Something that has become a strange concept to me in recent years :-/

In any case right now I'm saving for my computer and then I'm following that up with a car and new glasses so I doubt I'll be going anywhere for quite some time. However in the future I've love to save up and hit either Otacon 2010 or Katsucon 2011 with you, Sarah and James if you guys are free ^_~

Houndoom_Lover
20th January 2010, 03:15 AM
Back, I guess. I needa brush my teeth. I'm pretty sure my OCD need to brush my teeth every two hours woke me up. And now I'm here, all the talkies about the man on man action makes me want to watch Rent.

I got one of my gay friends a unicorn purse. It was wonderfully soft. CVS rocks for odd gifts. Like dinosaur action figures.

I'm going on a vakay of sorts around Feb. Goin' uptown to New York City wit' meh buddy.

Master Rudy
30th January 2010, 06:01 AM
Gah......my topic is sinking!
QUICK! Someone piss somebody else off! Isn't that how Blade's old topic worked?!

Houndoom_Lover
30th January 2010, 04:38 PM
Damn straight is was!!!

I heard the funniest joke the other day....it wasn't really a joke, but it was "How much did the Hala cost?"

:B I laughed loudly.

DarkestLight
30th January 2010, 06:48 PM
Get out my state. :o

Side note-where would people like to go for vacations during this dreadful weather? (Im talking NH 40' lat folk and above only, rest of the nation can rot :o)...

EDIT: Asi, swear to raptorjesus, I didn't read your post. I just read Houndy's and reacted in my usual love/hate like I always do XD!

Asilynne
30th January 2010, 07:45 PM
Get out my state. :o

Side note-where would people like to go for vacations during this dreadful weather? (Im talking NH 40' lat folk and above only, rest of the nation can rot :o)...

EDIT: Asi, swear to raptorjesus, I didn't read your post. I just read Houndy's and reacted in my usual love/hate like I always do XD!

Uh huh SUREE!!!!!! lol Anyway to answer your question Id go to Australia HRHR XD Because its summer and theres a sexy warm beach <3

Blademaster
30th January 2010, 07:57 PM
ASI PROMISED TOPLESS BEACH PICS ON MSN!

I HAVE THE CONVO LOG TO PROVE IT - HOLD HER TO IT, EVERYBODY!

mr_pikachu
30th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Gah......my topic is sinking!
QUICK! Someone piss somebody else off! Isn't that how Blade's old topic worked?!

Master Rudy, you suck.

Also, I think this topic should be moved to Mt. Moon. Not necessarily because a topic without a clear purpose is better suited for the spam forum, but because that would really piss off Rudy. :)

Asi: Which beach did you have in mind? Australia's got a lot of coastline.

Blade: Pics or it didn't happen. (Asi, if he's telling the truth, get your camera!)

Asilynne
30th January 2010, 08:17 PM
LOL!!!
Glenelg ^-^ They have a boat tour where you can go swimming with the dolphins too <3 They promise 100% dolphin sightings in every tour! lol

As for the topless beach PICS, no pics arent happening!!! However if there is a topless beach there Im going topless, because you only live once and I have done almost nothing bad or crazy my whole life!!!! So I may as well do it when Im young and have a figure instead of when Im old and having a midlife crises XDDDD

Which reminds me Ive still got to buy my bikini top ^-^() lol

DarkestLight
31st January 2010, 12:26 AM
LOL!!! As for the topless beach .....

Which reminds me Ive still got to buy my bikini top ^-^()

Oxymoron...brain asploded...u_u

Master Rudy
31st January 2010, 02:07 AM
Which reminds me Ive still got to buy my bikini top ^-^() lol

Silly Brandy......you don't need a bikini top for a topless beach :lol:
In any case if she is unwilling to post topless pictures then I am perfectly willing to be a stand in for her (did I mention that I'm about 230 pounds currently?)
For your sake the rest of you better pray she posts those pics....... :D

Drago
31st January 2010, 08:18 AM
We should have a thread for topless pics. I obviously mean female topless pics, because otherwise it'll be a sausage fest akin to the steel mill in the Simpsons.

Then again, I'm sure there are better forums out there to be forever releasing your dignity upon. Just maybe.

Asilynne
31st January 2010, 08:31 PM
I dont do even skimpy pics of myself EVER -.-() Now you guys are making me be the shy prude I am about my own body that I usually am :P

Blademaster
31st January 2010, 09:02 PM
Just give us the pics and we'll leave you alone. It's not like your body is some sacred, unviewable thing - it's just as much of an insipid blob of meat and fat as that of any other woman on the planet. :shrug:

EDIT: WHY DON'T WE HAVE A FUCKING SHRUG SMILEY?!

First person to reply with ":shrug:" gets punched in the balls, by the way. Just a heads-up.

Asilynne
31st January 2010, 09:52 PM
:shrug: haha I have no balls ;D

Also: NEVA!!!!!

Houndoom_Lover
31st January 2010, 09:53 PM
:shrug:

Do it :B I dare ya

My boobs would blind if I went topless, I are pale

Master Rudy
1st February 2010, 03:12 AM
Come on guys......if she doesn't want to then let her be! Some girls don't like random strangers seeing them like that you know......
.......of course then again it might be amusing to see Bran and Houndy dare each other back and forth to see who cracks first :idea:

My money is on Houndy doing it :P

Blademaster
1st February 2010, 05:10 PM
:shrug: haha I have no balls ;D

Oh yes you do.

Male balls = testicles.
Female balls = chesticles.

*TITPUNCH*

:shrug:

Do it :B I dare ya

Offscreen, dear. :sweat2:

Come on guys......if she doesn't want to then let her be! Some girls don't like random strangers seeing them like that you know......
.......of course then again it might be amusing to see Bran and Houndy dare each other back and forth to see who cracks first :idea:

My money is on Houndy doing it :P

Gimme your address, Rudy. You'll receive your nut punch in the mail in 6 to 8 weeks. :mad2:

shazza
18th August 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi guys what's going on! :wave:

Asilynne
18th August 2010, 10:16 AM
I ended up not going to a topless beach btw XD Ben and I did go to Glenelg which was very nice though. I didnt have time to do the dolphin swim but thats definately on the list for next time ^-^

Blademaster
18th August 2010, 03:40 PM
This counts as necroing.

DELETE TOPIC PLZ KTHNX MODZ