Best Soundtrack of the Year

Best Graphics of the Year

Best Technical Achievement of the Year

Best Voice Actor of the Year

End of the Decade

Best Game of the Decade

Best Character of the Decade

Best System of the Decade

So now that the year is over, I figured why not try out a Game of the Year type vote for the VG Forum. We have all played alot of games this year, probably more than we should, plus we can look back at the decade and also decide what is the best. So post your votes or PM them to either of the mods!

Weasel Overlord
4th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Dibsies on first! And hurrah for bias. :D But where's the Puzzle Game genre? I'll use Strategy to replace that, I suppose. And I was unsure of where to put Pokemon, so I shoved it in Adventure. Also, where's Action? Cos I'd like to put inFamous in there, but it's most definitely an Action game, rather than any of the other ones.

Game of the Year

Best Role Playing Game Game of the Year - Dragon Age: Origins
Best Adventure Game of the Year - Pokemon Platinum
Best Strategy Game of the Year - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
Best Downloadable Game of the Year - Fat Princess
Best PS3 Game of the Year - Dragon Age: Origins
Best Handheld Game of the Year - Dissidia: Final Fantasy

End of the Decade

Best Game of the Decade - If I look at my gametimes, it has to be Final Fantasy XII, for me. It beats FFX for its massive leap in combat (turn-based is so last decade XD), the ultra-explorable world and the totally awesome characters.
Best Character of the Decade - Dante, from Devil May Cry
Best System of the Decade - DS Lite

Clark
4th January 2010, 01:52 PM
Best Game of the Year: Batman Arkham Asylum
Best Sports Game of the Year: NHL10
Best Downloadable Game of the Year: Torchlight
Best Wii Game of the Year: Wii Sports Resort
Best PS3 Game of the Year: Demon's Souls
Best Character of the Year: Eddie Riggs
Best Supporting Character of the Year: Ghost, MW2

Best Game of the Decade: Call of Duty
Best Character of the Decade: Kratos
Best System of the Decade: Playstation 2

classy_cat18
4th January 2010, 02:14 PM
Best Handheld Game of the Year -- Pokemon Platinum
Best Music Game of the Year -- Band Hero

Best Game of the Decade -- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. To the game that took risks, was met with success, and brought a new style of Link to Nintendo.
Best System of the Decade -- Nintendo DS/DS Lite. Graphics aren't everything, and the Game Boy line taught us that. But the DS brought new elements of gameplay to the handheld market, along with some of the best games of all time.

Knight of Time
4th January 2010, 02:52 PM
Best Handheld Game of the Year: Pokemon Platinum
Best Game of the Decade: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Despite that this game took a different fork than Wind Waker 100 years after the events of OoT, the return of Epona, ability to play as a wolf, and the great amount of dungeons (9), this game is one of the best I've played, for the GameCube version anyway. A game like this deserves a sequel.
Best System of the Decade: Nintendo DS/DS Lite: I have to agree with classy_cat18 on this one as she pretty much summed it up, the new element of gameplay through the use of 2 screens as well as the stylus makes this handheld system hard to top by its fellow handheld systems. But, if you misplace your stylus, there are some games which can be harder to play, such as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but these are just suggestions for any other Zelda fan on here besides myself.
Best Character of the Decade: This one's rather obvious, Link has been a hard character for other video game characters to compete with (anyone see the character battles on GameFAQs? Link has won the majority of them methinks), and while having various incarnations differing from one Zelda game to another, the character himself, regardless of what he looks like, will always be my favourite video game character.

Blademaster
4th January 2010, 03:29 PM
Best Adventure Game of the Year - Pokemon Platinum

...Pokemon is an RPG. Adventure games are games where you go around and do stuff, like a Zelda game. Or inFamous, hint hint.

classy_cat18
4th January 2010, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't that make Platinum eligible to be an adventure game too? Big region to go around and explore and do stuff...

Blademaster
4th January 2010, 04:00 PM
Almost ALL RPG's have that. Adventure games aren't determined by size - they're determined by content. Turn-based battling, level-up systems, emphasis on characters and story over any real substantial gameplay, and lots and lots of dialogue... These are all definitive aspects of an RPG. Adventure games are far more active, taking place in real time and the majority of time spent running and jumping and beating the crap out of things. Hence why the genre is typically called "action-adventure." Roy screwed up the category name.

Weasel Overlord
4th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Well, I did say that I was unsure where to put Pokemon.

Clark
4th January 2010, 09:52 PM
gamefaqs

DS » Role-Playing » Console-style RPG
Pokemon Platinum Version

Unbraced
4th January 2010, 10:05 PM
Best Role Playing Game Game of the Year-Pokemon Platinum

Best Character of the Year-Luigi in Mario and Luigi Bowsers's inside story.

Best Supporting Character of the Year-Axel in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Best System of the Decade-Wii, bringing hardcore and casual together

Best Technical Achievement of the Year: DS touch screen

May update

Master Rudy
5th January 2010, 12:05 AM
First and formost I think you guys need to add in "Best Multi-Platform Game" for the simple reason that I think we'd eventually see Dragon Age or Batman: AA appear on the "Best of....." lists for three different systems. For a game to be multi-platform it'll have to appear on any combination of the PS3, X-Box 360 or PC (or all three). Wii versions should simply be filed under "Best Wii Game" since games on the Wii and handhelds are usually vastly different. Roy also forgot "Best Fighter", "Best MMO" and "Best PC Game" :-/

Also I'm going to go out on a limb and throw down WoW: Wrath of the Lich King if that's cool with you guys. Granted the game came out near the end of November 2008. However you have to bear in mind the fact that all it's patches, major content updates/story progression were released in 2009 :P

Game of the Year-Batman: Arkham Asylum
Best Third Person Shooter-Red Faction: Guerrilla
Best Adventure Game-Assassin's Creed 2
Best MMO-World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Best Sports Game-Madden NFL 2010
Best Music Game-Guitar Hero: Metallica
Best Fighter-Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (since everyone else will say either SF4 or T6 :P)
Best Downloadable Game-Final Fantasy 4: The After Years
Best PS3 Game-Uncharted 2: Among Theives
Best PC Game-WoW: WotLK
Best Handheld Game of the Year-Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Best Character-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed 2
Best Villain-The Joker, Batman: AA
Best Soundtrack-Batman: AA
Best Graphics-Batman: AA
Best Voice Actor-Mark Hamill as The Joker, Batman: AA
Best Game of the Decade-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (it finally managed to wrap up a story that was 20 years in the making)
Best Character of the Decade-Solid Snake, Metal Gear Series
Best System of the Decade-Sony Playstation 2 (it's original Japanese release was March 4th, 2000 and it STILL has new games occasionally being released for it! :eek:)

pokemasterfrank
5th January 2010, 02:51 AM
I wish I had time to play games this past year :/ Also, monies to buy video games, lol.

Best Role Playing Game Game of the Year - Pokemon HeartGold. Nostalgiatastic

Best Music Game of the Year - The Beatles: Rock Band. The game was very well done, with the walk through Beatles history. Also, I liked the little details, like some clips of them in the stereo mumbling to each other during the loading screens and some well-known guitar riffs being the guitar sounds when your using the GUI.

Best Handheld Game of the Year - Pokemon HeartGold. Now with 20% more nostalgia.

Best Game of the Decade - Portal. I actually haven't played a lot of console/computer games, but this one held my attention to the end. Puzzle games are awesome. Also, the portal mechanic served for very interesting game play.

Best System of the Decade - Wii gets it, for innovating game play and design. PS2 gets a close second, because it's still popular and it was holding it's own for a while against all of this generation's consoles on the sales chart.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
5th January 2010, 10:27 AM
Best Game of the Year: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Best Fantasy Game of the Year: Risen
Best First Person Shooter Game of the Year: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Best Third Person Shooter Game of the Year: -
Best Role Playing Game Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Origins
Best Strategy Game of the Year: -
Best Action/Adventure Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Best Fighting Game for the Year: Legends of Wrestlemania
Best MMO: Lord of the Rings Online - Siege of Mirkwood
Best Sports Game of the Year: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Best Music Game of the Year: -
Best Downloadable Game of the Year: Tales of Monkey Island
Best Wii Game of the Year: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Best X Box 360 Game of the Year: Risen
Best PS3 Game of the Year: Legends of Wrestlemania
Best Handheld Game of the Year: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Best PC Game of the Year: Risen

Best Character of the Year: Guybrush Threepwood
Best Supporting Character of the Year: Starlow/Chippy
Best Villain of the Year: Bowser

Best Studio of the Year: Nintendo/Alpha Dream
Best Soundtrack of the Year: Tales of Monkey Island
Best Graphics of the Year: Dragon Age: Origins
Best Technical Achievement of the Year: -
Best Voice Actor of the Year: Dominic Armato

Best Video Game of the Decade: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Best PC Game of the Decade: EverQuest - Ruins of Kunark
Best Character of the Decade: Bowser
Best System of the Decade: Nintendo DS

Roy Karrde
5th January 2010, 12:58 PM
Roy also forgot "Best Fighter", "Best MMO" and "Best PC Game" :-/

Yes I'm sorry about the problems with the Adventure/Action Adventure confusion, that was my mistake. Any Adventure nom will go into the Action Adventure catagory, anyone that is doubled with a regular RPG will just go in RPG

As for the others I'll add them immediately except I do have one question

Do people still play games on PC?!

Heald
5th January 2010, 01:27 PM
Do people still play games on PC?!
IMHO the PC is the true home of gaming, and the only place where you can still play proper games. I hate the terms 'casual' and 'hardcore', but for real gamers, PC every time. I have simply lost patience with consoles: overpriced, completely restrictive, stupid controls and the whole thing about Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft being able to brick your console if you do something completely legal to it.

Anyway...

Best First Person Shooter Game of the Year
Left 4 Dead 2
Best Sports Game of the Year
Fifa 2010
Best PC Game of the Year
Left 4 Dead 2
Best Game of the Decade
Team Fortress 2 (this was an insanely hard choice...but I haven't stopped playing this game since it came out)
Best Character of the Decade
Scout (Team Fortress 2)
Best System of the Decade
PC (to be honest, this gen has absolutely blown, and the most technically inferior console of the last gen was the best of its gen. WTF.)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
5th January 2010, 02:09 PM
IMHO the PC is the true home of gaming, and the only place where you can still play proper games.

Truer words have seldom been spoken. Everything that's good and right (and not a Nintendo game) is released on PC - with better graphics and better controls. I'd rather run head first into a wall before I play a shooter or a good RPG on a console. "No PC" and "hardcore gamer" are terms that don't mix.

Also, why was "Best Adventure" turned into "Best Action/Adventure"? IMO both are needed. Where am nominating the best point-and-click Adventure now?

Blademaster
5th January 2010, 07:15 PM
Point-and-click games are a totally different genre from action-adventure... I've never even heard the term 'point-and-click adventure' used to describe a game genre.

Heald
5th January 2010, 07:25 PM
Adventure is the genre that point-and-click games (such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle etc.) go by. Action-Adventure is stuff like Zelda, God of War, Devil May Cry etc.

Also, why are genres such as Puzzle and Platformer missing? There have been some great puzzles games, and NSMB Wii came out this year too. I think there should also be a Best Indie Game award. They're the true heroes of gaming.

Blademaster
6th January 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm just saying, I've only ever seen the term 'point-and-click' used to describe that genre when it comes to video games. Or sometimes 'puzzle.' Granted I play virtually none of them, but...

PNT510
7th January 2010, 11:26 AM
Best Game of the Year - Assassins Creed 2

Best Fantasy Game of the Year - Dragon Age: Origins

Best First Person Shooter Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Best Role Playing Game Game of the Year - Dragon Age: Origins

Best Strategy/Puzzle Game of the Year - Scribblenauts

Best Action/Adventure Game of the Year - Assassins Creed 2

Best Music Game of the Year - I wanna vote for Rock Band as a platform with all the DLC and then exportable track packs and Lego Rock band.

Best Fighting Game of the Year - Street Fighter IV

Best Platformer Game of the Year - New Super Mario Bros.

Best Massive Multiplayer Online Game of the Year - World of Warcraft

Best Downloadable Game of the Year - Torchlight

Best Wii Game of the Year - New Super Mario Bros.

Best Handheld Game of the Year - Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Best PC Game of the Year - Torchlight

Best Character of the Year - Ezio - Assassins Creed

Best Supporting Character of the Year - Mii's - Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort

Best Villain of the Year - The Joker - Batman: AA

Best Studio of the Year - Infinity Ward

Best Graphics of the Year - Call of Duty 2

Best Soundtrack of the Year - Beatles Rock Band

Best Voice Actor of the Year - Mark Hamill - Batman: AA

Best Game of the Decade - World of Warcraft

Best Character of the Decade - Auron - Final Fantasy X

Best System of the Decade - PS2

Roy Karrde
15th January 2010, 11:18 PM
I will be posting the voting thread tomorrow morning, I wanted to give everyone, one last chance to update or post their nominations!

Blademaster
16th January 2010, 07:25 AM
Game of the Decade: Super Mario Galaxy.

That's all.