PDA

View Full Version : Spongebob- is it really for kids?

Link
16th January 2010, 02:58 PM
I think the way it's made and what it talks about is definitely for the younger crowd sometimes and, yet, I feel compelled to say it has sometimes amazed me that a show like that can get away with what Squidward says and still called be "TV-Y."

kazr
16th January 2010, 03:20 PM
Each main character on Spongebob represents one of the seven deadly sins. A truly complex show

GreenShirT
16th January 2010, 05:05 PM
I have watched it a few times...one episode was funny. His spatula was angry at him. Its like a poor mans Ren & Stimpy though.

Telume
16th January 2010, 05:14 PM
I remember one of the reviews of the show saying it was for kids but with subtle adult references either in dialogue or with characters.

classy_cat18
16th January 2010, 05:51 PM
I remember one of the reviews of the show saying it was for kids but with subtle adult references either in dialogue or with characters.

I remember a friend of mine telling me about that. He mentioned one episode with Spongebob and Sandy spending an episode karate chopping things. I don't remember exactly what he said but it did have a slight Ren and Stimpy tone to it.

Anyway, I don't care about the show.

abunaidesu
16th January 2010, 06:50 PM
uh what type of question is this

you can ask the same question about all 90s cartoons ;)

classy_cat18
16th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, but there's a difference. There are blatant adult references, like in South Park and Family Guy. Then there are those that require a dirty mind to get. XD

shazza
16th January 2010, 08:40 PM
That's the same with Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life. Nickelodeon have always been known to incorporate both subtle, and indeed obvious adult references. Even Rugrats has had it's fair share.

P.S: I think I've asked this before, but I'll do so again. Are you the same Heracross that used to mod PCG?

Master Rudy
17th January 2010, 02:31 AM
This is actually nothing new in animation. Look at all the classic Bugs Bunny cartoons of the 40's and 50's. Out of boredom I watched some off of a friend's DVD set recently and I was downright surprised at all the subtle adult humor I never caught as a kid. They've been doing this type of stuff for years. I'm sure that kids cartoons will keep on doing it for many more to come.

If you really want to talk about getting crap past the radar then watch a bunch of episodes of Animanics. That show had a few that seriously left you wondering how in the blue hell it got past the censors :lol:

Andrew
17th January 2010, 04:04 AM
Rocko's Modern Life is better than this shit.

kazr
17th January 2010, 05:21 AM
This is actually nothing new in animation. Look at all the classic Bugs Bunny cartoons of the 40's and 50's. Out of boredom I watched some off of a friend's DVD set recently and I was downright surprised at all the subtle adult humor I never caught as a kid. They've been doing this type of stuff for years. I'm sure that kids cartoons will keep on doing it for many more to come.

If you really want to talk about getting crap past the radar then watch a bunch of episodes of Animanics. That show had a few that seriously left you wondering how in the blue hell it got past the censors :lol:

I watched an episode for the first time in about 8 years and Daffy Duck was snorting coke out of an old style cigar/cigarette tin can type deal. He played the character "Scarlet Pumpernickel" in the novel he was trying to write. I probably watched that at least twice as a kid and had no idea what was going on.

Mr.E
17th January 2010, 05:28 AM
The reason they put all those adult refererences in the kid's shows is so that the adults can watch the cartoons with their children without going stark-raving mad.

shazza
17th January 2010, 05:39 AM
I was just going to say that.

Link
17th January 2010, 02:17 PM
Shazza...no, I'm not the same Heracross that has anything to do with modding anything here. I used to be called Pokemaster2001.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th January 2010, 02:33 PM
It's a kid's show that adults can enjoy as well cause the jokes and funny parts aren't childish and embarrassing.

classy_cat18
17th January 2010, 10:41 PM

You mean like:

Dot: I found Prince! *holds up Artist Formerly Known as Prince*
Yakko: No, fingerprints!
Dot: *looks at Prince* I don't think so. *throws him out porthole*

Master Rudy
18th January 2010, 02:11 AM
You mean like:

Dot: I found Prince! *holds up Artist Formerly Known as Prince*
Yakko: No, fingerprints!
Dot: *looks at Prince* I don't think so. *throws him out porthole*

To this day that paticular exchange ranks pretty high on lists talking about the amazing things the censors let slip by. I knew the general idea but didn't want to fuck up the quote. Thanks for getting it right :lol:

Link
19th January 2010, 10:09 AM
I mean, I like the newer episodes of Spongebob... I don't understand all the hate for the newer episodes of it.

Jeff
19th January 2010, 10:26 AM
Nostalgia.

It happens with every show, even if they keep it the same, use the same style of humor, etc. fans will still hate it because it's not the same episodes they remember fondly. Also, there's the fact that, whether the writers of a show change it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks) or keep it the same (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlezx89c5u5txaj) some fans will always be mad and hate the newer episodes.