PDA

View Full Version : A Native's Guide for Surviving Australia

Asilynne
19th January 2010, 05:34 PM
Ok since I know we have a lot of australians here, and since Im taking a trip to Australia soon, Id like to get some input from some natives of australia on what your country has to offer. Im talking food, shopping, culture, stuff that makes your country unique and worth seeing. Also any info on your local wildlife will be helpful too since Im interested in seeing the aussie wildlife.

Im also asking for any kind of info on the customs there. Like I didnt know that in Aussie land your not required to tip, like they dont expect a tip, until I saw it on a travel tips site. So any kind of tips you can give me like that will be very helpful too ^-^ Show off your knowledge of your homeland! XD

Dark Scizor
19th January 2010, 05:38 PM
If it moves, it's poisonous.

Blademaster
19th January 2010, 05:43 PM
Show off your knowledge of your homeland!

It's not even my homeland and yet I can tell you this:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/6/66/Can_we_be_friends%3F.jpg

Seriously. It is there and it WILL kill you if it bites you. You had better watch your step, and turn your shoes upside down and slam them against the wall before AND after you put them on.

Asilynne
19th January 2010, 05:50 PM
Oh no the RAPE SPIDER!!! XDDD I do know they have huntsman spiders there that like to hide in houses and cars so that should be....interesting o.o

The_Missing_Link
19th January 2010, 06:19 PM
I think it would help the Aussies if you told them what part of Australia you're going to visit

Kuro Espeon
19th January 2010, 08:54 PM
Speaking of Australia and spiders...

http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data/500/medium/australia-spider.jpg

Drago
19th January 2010, 10:48 PM
Huntsmen (huntsmans?) are harmless. They look big and mean, but that's about it.
Best advice I have; if you're looking for a fun, safe trip, stick to the public scene. Cities, towns, that sort of thing. Don't be trying to much out in the outback. Otherwise it gets a bit hairy.

Also, there really aren't that many customs for you to be aware of, other than just general politeness. If anything, I think America's customs are more intricate, what with tipping and everything.
The way it works here in Aus, you really don't tip for anything. In my case, if it's a personalised service, one on one kind of thing where I can tell they took a real effort to help me out, I might do it, but it's more of a personal choice than a cultural thing.
One thing though, is that because you're American, some people might expect you to tip. I can't really say for sure.

Asilynne
20th January 2010, 03:45 PM
LOL Sarah!!!!

Anyway thanks Drago, thats the kind of stuff I was really looking for, general info on the country as a whole, since I already have enough events and places I want to see to fill up a whole month (I can only get a week off of work though :/)
Anyway as far as where, my plane stops off at Sydney for a bit before heading to Adelaide. The kinds of things I really want to do are a trip to Barossa Valley (wine tasting <3), swimming with the dolphins at Glenelg (and just swimming at the beach in general), visiting Adelaide's many art museums/galleries, the opal mine, and of course attend the two festivals that will be going on, the Fringe festival and the Adelaide festival of the arts <333 Id wanted to go to Kangaroo island but that may be too expensive :/ So as far as events Im covered, Im just wondering if theres any local food/culture that I should experience before I leave, sort of like the things you HAVE to do while your in australia ^-^
Also any tips thatll help keep me out of trouble lol I mean I know elf and chaos and ben will help with that but just in case ^-^() I dont want to accidently offend anyone either.

Ayeun
20th January 2010, 05:12 PM
Watch and learn...

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I)

Dont know how to embed this.