PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics Thread

firepokemon
5th February 2010, 10:15 PM
NORWAY NORWAY NORWAY and go Finland in hopes of saving poor Mikachu who may well be in the loony bin at this stage in his life.

I always love the Winter Olympics because I am a major Figure Skating fan. I want Mao Asada to win Ladies, Brian Joubert or Nobunari Oda to win Men's. Virtue & Moir or Delobel & Schoenfelder to win Ice Dance and Shen & Zhao to win Pairs.

I support Norway at the winter olympics because New Zealand has only ever won a silver and that was in 1992 where a women won silver in slalom.

I will be watching closely Biathlon and Cross Country skiing because Norway does well in that. Also love Alpine Skiing and speedskating. Then there is Short Track which is always good cause they fall and useless Aussies can somehow win.

mr_pikachu
5th February 2010, 10:33 PM
I would be a lot more into figure skating, except that the judges always seem to screw over someone who clearly deserves a medal. The same goes for trick-based snowboarding as well as gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and diving in the summer games.

That's why I tend to prefer more objective competitions like skiing, speed skating, and hockey. I'll even watch the long-distance skiing competitions because at least that's still objective even if, like the summer games' marathon, there's never a favorite who you can "expect" to win -- it depends so much on the particular day.

The_Missing_Link
6th February 2010, 02:43 AM
I love aerials the most. They're the gymnastics of the winter Olympics

firepokemon
6th February 2010, 04:10 AM
Oh please if you bring up the Canadian Pair Skaters from 2002 I'm going to scream. They were horrible technically crappy skaters. The Russians were so much better. It was a tragedy they even had that scandal. Though figure skating does have its politics. The new system of juding Code of Points or COP is a much fairer system and allows for far less politics.

Aerials are fun but I don't want an Australian to win.

Pichu Luver
28th February 2010, 06:43 PM
*clears throat*

Hockey (http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/773027--sidney-crosby-lifts-canada-to-olympic-hockey-gold)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Damn great game. *does very bad (but gleeful) victory dance*

Great game to the Americans, nice shot in the final seconds of the third period. Had me sincerely worried and you have one hell of a goalie too. Congrats on the highest medal count, but I'm damn glad Canada got both Hockey gold's. :D

Congratulations to all the other countries on your medals as well. Slovenia's Petra Majdic is one hell of an athlete for getting bronze with four broken ribs.

Personally I enjoyed the speed skating and—dare I say it—curling the most after hockey. Never so amusing as yelling TURN at the tv because of giant rocks sliding down the ice. XD Though I have to say I never fully understood the scoring system ^^'''. Nice pants Norway too, lol. I also want to apologize for the curling crowd early in the game. Won't mean much coming from me but still, it wasn't right.

Overall I had great fun watching these games and yelling at the TV. :D

Telume
28th February 2010, 07:42 PM
Hockey, Soccer's winter cousin <3 you are so underrated.

Mr.E
1st March 2010, 07:23 AM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammit

Ultimate Charizard
1st March 2010, 04:28 PM
Hockey, Soccer's winter cousin <3 you are so underrated.

No Soccer's winter cousin is Soccer with an Orange Ball! Best way to toughen up is playing Soccer on a frozen pitch ;).

Drago
1st March 2010, 10:24 PM
Tragically I was working yesterday so I wasn't able to watch the hockey game firsthand, but my day was lifted when a group of Canadian guys entered the venue, celebrating heartily. I proceeded to stick a sign on the fridge congratulating team USA for their gorgeous silver medals, and then gave the guys a free game of Mario Kart for gloating to the CEO at my work, who's from Buffalo.

Brilliant, brilliant day to be a Canadian.