PDA

View Full Version : Applications

mr_pikachu
8th February 2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah, so this is basically the thread for people who are applying/have recently applied to a school of some sort. I know a few people mentioned this in Mt. Moon, so now we have an actual serious discussion thread to talk about pending and/or resolved applications.

Right now I'm waiting on my Ph.D. applications. There's really only one place where I actually want to go, but I applied to three others as well so that I might get leverage for a better offer. A few minutes ago, though, the first of my three alternates sent me an E-mail rejection. That's like breaking up with a guy over the phone. Classy.

Two alternates and my top choice remain... I'm crossing my fingers. How about your applications? Private school, college/university, graduate school, or the work force... it's all good here! Tell us how it's going for you.

The_Missing_Link
8th February 2010, 09:58 PM
I've applied to many jobs over the past nine months and nothing, not even an interview. It's insanely demoralizing and makes me feel worthless since I can't get anything, not even a retail job. The only thing I have right now is volunteering, and that's only once a week

Telume
9th February 2010, 01:07 AM
I've been scouring all over the place for programming apprenticeships or something, haven't found anything yet, but I haven't given up hope.

Blademaster
9th February 2010, 10:07 PM
I've applied to many jobs over the past nine months and nothing, not even an interview. It's insanely demoralizing and makes me feel worthless since I can't get anything, not even a retail job. The only thing I have right now is volunteering, and that's only once a week

Obligatory World of Warcraft joke goes here. :heh:

Seriously, where do you live? That might be a factor in job-hunting, especially if you live in the city. Even the mountains I'm in now are really barren in terms of employment opportunities...

Magmar
10th February 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm looking at MBA programs and considering Akron in Ohio, USA; also considering the MBA program at the University of Rhode Island cuz (a.) won't have to relocate/get new job and (b.) it's a ONE YEAR program, meaning I'll get done with it before the world ends in 2012

mr_pikachu
12th February 2010, 12:21 PM
One acceptable (with no funding), one rejection. I'm now left with my last "alternate" and my true choice, the latter of which will supposedly make its decision next week. I'm trying not to think about it. :sweat2:

classy_cat18
12th February 2010, 01:38 PM
I can't believe I managed to get in Birmingham-Southern College when I can't even get a job at WAL-MART! YOU SUCK, REALITY!

For crying out loud, I couldn't even get a job at a Mariott hotel when my cousin practically guaranteed it! And I live in the city! What's wrong with me?

The_Missing_Link
12th February 2010, 02:01 PM
Obligatory World of Warcraft joke goes here. :heh:

Seriously, where do you live? That might be a factor in job-hunting, especially if you live in the city. Even the mountains I'm in now are really barren in terms of employment opportunities...

Can people shut the hell up about me and WoW? It was never funny to begin with

I live near Boston. The problem is the lack of jobs in my field, which is Criminal Justice. No one is really hiring

Blademaster
12th February 2010, 06:52 PM
*mental note to make more WoW jokes in the future*

So does criminal justice mean you're trying to be a lawyer? That's disturbingly fitting, honestly... :o

EngiMatikul
12th February 2010, 08:19 PM
Man mr pikachu this is such a depressing topic. The last thing I want to do when coming over to lurk at TPM forums is to be reminded of applications. :V