PDA

View Full Version : What nicknames have you given to your Pokemon?

Mr. Brightside
23rd February 2010, 02:31 PM
If you have. I have named my Staravia Elvis and the Unown D Darius. I decided to name all of the Unowns according to their letter.

Is it bad that i want a Zoroark just so that i can name it Lola? XDD

Telume
23rd February 2010, 04:13 PM
I named my Espeon Azeri. Means 'fox' in Basque. Looks nothing like a fox I know but, I was going by the way Eevee looks and the name kinda stuck.

I also named my Toterra Risolu which is based off the Italian word 'risoluto' which means resolute.

I put a lot of thought into some of my names.

PancaKe
23rd February 2010, 11:53 PM
I go through phases. Sometimes i name them after fruits, sometimes after friends, sometimes after characters in books or radio dj's on channels, or tv personalities, and sometimes I just name them stupid things, like toilet or ding dong. But when I started playing Diamond I didn't want to nickname them because then I woudln't know what pokemon they were :D so yeah.

classy_cat18
24th February 2010, 12:42 AM
I try everything. Japanese and English names are the norm, but I've also done Spanish (El Rey, my Empoleon). Names from mythology (Circe, Merlin, Morgan are all psychic). Silly names (Snoozy). Names of disasters (Tsunami, Sirocco). Oh, and names from video games (Stryker's my favorite).

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
24th February 2010, 02:16 AM
I barely ever give my Pokémon names, that's due to the R/B/Y series having so few different character selection screen images that I never knew which Pokémon when only seeing its nickname. I just game them regular first names then.

I tried giving them nicknames again in R/S. The only two I remember where "Trottelbär" (which is German for "stupid bear") for my Spinda and "Bockerl" (which is Viennese slang for an open, round pine cone) for my Seedot.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
24th February 2010, 08:59 AM
Mostly Japanese names. Fictional, based on Zanpaktou, based on characters from animé, senses, etc.

Blademaster
24th February 2010, 10:52 AM
Anybody from ASB can guess how I nickname my Pokemon.

Darth CookieMonster
24th February 2010, 05:24 PM
I named a Geodude.. Geodudette.. yeah i went there. I usually use Japs and English names. Sometimes emotions.. Seven sins... body parts(e.g. Mightyena ..fang)... elements and stuff.. funny names... yeah i hav a big arsenal

Jeff
24th February 2010, 05:27 PM
That reminds me, I once nicknamed a female Mr. Mime "Ms. Mime".

Other than that, I don't really give my pokemon nicknames.

Drago
25th February 2010, 12:49 AM
Some of my best nicknames are the ones I've given to random 'mon that I never use - I named a Magikarp 'IT DROWNED' and a Seedot 'HE IS VIGO'. Clearly, nothing I would ever name my actual team 'mon would ever be as good as these. Regardless, from the top, here's my nicknames... (Be warned, this is serious tl;dr stuff, but I've had fun reminiscing over their history)

Blue (Original)
Amigo the Raichu - This sucker didn't have a nickname until roughly 2006, when I decided that an unnamed Raichu stuck out on this team like a sore thumb. Eyyyyy Amigo!
Merlin the Alakazam - I dunno, somehow psychic translates to magical.
Poseidon the Vaporeon - I guess it's about the only way to unsissify a male Vaporeon.
Red the Ninetales - Briefly dubbed Thor for no apparent reason. Also briefly dubbed Nanaki, which was better, but ultimately I reverted back to the name I gave him as a Vulpix. Then I gave him the surname Grange. Red Grange. Love it!
Draco the Dragonite - Which is clearly the least original name I could possibly bestow.
Leaves the Venusaur - Nothing really exciting about this name. Though originally, my Bulbasaur was named Bulb(PKMN) because I accidentally messed up the name and then started my game over again. Good times.

Blue (Dos)
Zeus the Raichu - Again, not original at all.
Marley the Alakazam - As a variation of Merlin.
Venus the Vaporeon - Still waiting for that originality to become apparent.
Smithy the Ninetales - Which I reckon is pretty cool, actually.
Draco the Dragonite - Again. The original was renamed Dee in coinciding with the RPG character I had been using on TPM. Character development in Pokemon? Why doesn't Nintendo think of that?
Leaves the Venusaur - Leaves II, Leaves Jr., whatever you want to call him. He's in Minty Thrill, you know. :o

Yellow
Fate the Mew - Of course, my Mew doesn't really have a nickname, since I got it from Poketour '99 and thus nicknaming is impossible. It's the unofficial name I gave it at some point. Fate and the other Mew-like Pokemon I would acquire over time had names that I felt were deep at the time. I pretty much just killed everything with my Mew - it was fate.
Ifrit the Flareon - A little more clever than my Blue creations, now I'm ripping off Final Fantasy.
Champy the Nidoqueen - So called because she was a random Nidorina I encountered who seemed proficient at kicking ass. She was a bitch to catch, she was THE CHAMP.
Khan the Gengar - Gengar Khan. Haha neato. (Wasn't a member until 2007ish. Who's really playing Yellow in 2007??)
Creasy the Poliwrath - Obviously recent renaming after Denzel Washington's character in Man on Fire. Originally called Whacko, an amalgamation of 'whack' and 'wacko'. Lame.
Peppy the Pikachu - Named after my dog, and by extension, Peppy Hare. Do a barrel roll!

Silver
GigaShock the Ampharos - I think I just thought 'giga' was a cool word. Shock is fairly self-explanatory.
Veil the Espeon - Legitimately the daughter of Poseidon from my Blue team. I hadn't had any intentions of her being an Espeon, I actually thought Veil would be a cool name for a Vaporeon. But when I reshuffled my Silver team to remove my overpowered Lugia (Xenon) and then my underpowered Xatu (Psyfly), I decided I might as well just have an Espeon.
Nautica the Quagsire - QUAG!! I dunno. Water. Nautica. Not that bad.
Melpomene the Umbreon - Briefly called Strife, I just took a brief squiz through Greek tragedy for a better name. Muse of Tragedy? Sounded appropriate for an Umbreon.
DeAngelo the Crobat - In the whole kafuddle of ditching my Psychic/Flying team member, I had to find a new Flying type as well, so Spruce the Stantler got the chop in favour of DeAngelo in 200...5? Something like that. Named after DeAngelo Hall, then of the Atlanta Falcons, because it's a neat-sounding name.
Volcano the Typhlosion - ...SO CREATIVE!

Crystal
Velasca the Jolteon - As I was trying to get more creative with my nicknames, I got this one from the TV series Xena. I don't know much about her, other than she was apparently an amazon-turned-goddess. Sounds pretty cool.
Cueball the Marowak - Could it be Minty Thrill's beloved Cubone, occasionally referred to as 'Cueball'? Probably. That's a fun theory.
Forklaw the Skarmory - Another one of those names I should really change as well for being crap. Amalgamation of 'fork' and 'claw'. Because he has claws and he's metal like a fork, or something.
Puppy the Arcanine - An ancient castoff from my original Blue team (got the shaft in favour of Merlin), I originally had a different Arcanine named Eninacra (Arcanine backwards) on this team. I later gave her a better name in Eponine (of Les Mis), but following that, I concluded that I really didn't like that Arcanine much to begin with. ...So Puppy finally found a home. Yay Puppy!
Gojira the Tyranitar - Gotta be honest with you, I didn't play a lot of Crystal, so I think Gojira is actually still a Pupitar. Oops. Anyhow, the name is self-explanatory, but was originally the far more corny alternative Godzilla.
Erik the Feraligatr - Originally named Muncha. Thank god I changed that name. Erik is of course, the name of the titular character from Phantom of the Opera.

Ruby
Warrior the Manectric - In the same vein as Champy, Warrior was simply a kickass Electrike who I concluded worthy of adding to the roster. He was Warrior, you see.
Terra the Crawdaunt - Named after the character of the same name from Final Fantasy VI, a game I never actually played. Her original name was probably more appropriate for such a whopass Pokemon like Crawdaunt; it was Kuja (FFIX), but I later concluded that I didn't like giving a male name to a female Pokemon.
Spork the Grumpig - Spoink reminded me of Spork. Hence, Spork she became. Spork, for those of you unaware, is a utensil that is part spoon, part fork. Though I don't know who wouldn't know that. I also hadn't realised until this time that this is the second Pokemon I've named after a utensil. Weird.
Petrie the Swellow - Named after the pterodactyl from Land Before Time. Because he reminded me of the character back when he was a wee little Taillow.
Dagger the Aggron - Apparently all steel-type Pokemon have to have names related to metallic items. At least this one sounds cool.
Freako the Sceptile - Sounded cooler back when he was a Treecko. Freako the Treecko! Woo!

Sapphire
Deliverance the Jirachi - Another unofficial name on a Pokemon that can't really have one. Doom Desire seemed like a move of such godly smiting, I thought Deliverance was a cool name. My Jirachi is god - it has liberated you! Damn, that is cool.
Alstott the Torkoal - Because I wanted my legendary Pogeys to have those cool 'deep' names I alluded to earlier, I couldn't name it in the same vein as the rest of my Sapphire team, who all feature names based on NFL players. Alstott gets its name from Mike Alstott, then-fullback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Ol' Mikey Alstott used to just barrel through opponents, a characteristic I associated with a Torkoal.
Harper the Blissey - Named after Nick Harper, then-cornerback for the Indianapolis Colts. I'm not the biggest fan of Nick Harper, but it's kinda hard to find feminine NFL names to suit a Blissey. Except maybe Johnny Jolly, but that's just weird.
Portis the Breloom - Named after Clinton Portis, then-halfback for the Washington Redskins. Because Brelooms are fast and elusive like Clinton Portis, or somesuch.
Dawkins the Salamence - From Brian Dawkins, then-safety of the Philadelphia Eagles. Because Brian Dawkins is kickass, he would have a dragon named after him.
Bentley the Swampert - Based upon LeCharles Bentley, then-center of the New Orleans Saints. As a Swampert was a great big thing, it should be named after an o-lineman.

Fire Red
Harmony the Celebi - Celebi's being in touch with nature, and all.
Sumo the Snorlax - Another one of those that don't need much explaining. I'm sure there are thousands of Snorlaxes that people have named Sumo, but oh well.
Mrs. Boom the Weezing - Since Weezings explode and all.
Santana the Sandslash - A castoff from my Sapphire team (because I already had a Ground-type Pokemon in Bentley), Santana got her name from Santana Moss (Redskins WR). Amusingly, another rejected member of the Sapphire roster was a Mightyena named Moss. See how everything ties together?
Jagger the Charizard - Originally the name I gave to the Charmander companion I received in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, I just thought it was an awesome name, so I used it again. I got it from Jinx's apprentice in Mario RPG.
Torp the Blastoise - Seemed like a logical name for a Blastoise. Since I'm reading so much into EVERYTHING, I might as well just claim it to be paying homage to the Tennessee Torpedoes, my fantasy football team of 2006 to 2007.

Pearl
Hollywood the Electivire - Moreso because it just sounds cool, this was partially in reference to Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Whatcha gonna do, bruther.
La Madrina the Honchkrow - Got her name from the nickname given to Griselda Blanco, a sociopathic drug lord during the 70s and 80s. La Madrina translates to 'the Godmother'.
Medusa the Mismagius - Somehow a Mismagius reminds me of Medusa.
Puck the Leafeon - The mythological wood sprite you might remember from A Midsummer Night's Dream. Known by many names, but Puck sounds like a better name for a Leafeon than Robin Goodfellow.
Cap'n the Gastrodon - Doesn't need that much explanation. I kinda liked yelling 'fire, Cap'n!' whenever he attacked.
Javert the Infernape - Javert being the primary antagonist from Les Mis. Took me long enough to finally give one of my favourite characters of all time a little lovin'.

So yeah. tl;dr to the utmost degree. 'Quick reply' my ass.

kollkolen
15th March 2010, 01:54 AM
I named my Crobat DRACULA but he isn't part of my team. Just a slave. I was using him to KO for EVs when I had weak Pokemon with Experience Share. Best Nickname I've seen: A Mamoswine with the name Mr. Plow. I hope to come up with some good ones for my team.

Everoy
15th March 2010, 02:19 AM
I suck with nicknames, honestly, but I always give them. Right now they're generally a mix between characters from plays and random other shit. My Prinplup is named Brick, and my Drifloon is Big Daddy - both from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

C~Dub
6th April 2010, 02:11 AM
Generally, I name my pokemon after Greak mythology figures or after latin terms.

Mr. Brightside
6th April 2010, 03:52 PM
Current names:

Unown N: Nero
Unown P: Pottlaka (a Chinese goddess)
Unown I: Ixion
Unown E: Enishi (after Enishi in RuroKen)
Tropius (female): Amidalla