PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake topic

Lady Vulpix
1st March 2010, 11:45 AM
I was surprised to see no threads about the Chilean earthquake in any of the forums I visited. It was 8.8 magnitude in Richter's scale and it caused a Tsunami. It shook the whole country, and a large part of Argentina too. Not my area, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Here are some reports and videos (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/27/chile-earthquake-tsunami_n_479393.html).

You may also discuss other major earthquakes here.

Telume
1st March 2010, 01:00 PM
I think some areas reported a peak of 9.0

Mr. Brightside
1st March 2010, 02:42 PM
Things like that make you think how fucked up earth is by human activity. I still can't believe the size of the magnitude and how Japan was threatened by a tsunami hit. Living in Greece, which is an earthquake active country, i understand those people. Let's all hope for the best.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
1st March 2010, 04:05 PM
Pretty huge, makes me feel even more powerless.

I live in West-Europe, though, which has no tornado's, avalanches, earthquakes, giant blizzards, or any naturedisasters. Just shitty weather.

Blademaster
1st March 2010, 09:37 PM
Things like that make you think how fucked up earth is by human activity.

How is an EARTHQUAKE a result of human activity?

abunaidesu
1st March 2010, 10:07 PM
EARTHQUAKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Drago
2nd March 2010, 03:10 AM
A friend from work has family in Chile, and she still hasn't been able to hear word about how they are... Scary stuff, just makes you think how anything can really happen at any time.

After all, the bushfires last year weren't exactly too far off my neck of the woods...

Mr. Brightside
2nd March 2010, 01:53 PM
How is an EARTHQUAKE a result of human activity?

Environmental pollution? Scientists keep saying that all this crap is happening due to the pollution. Sure earthquakes are something natural but adding the fact of the global warming stuff like that can happen. I may be wrong but this is pretty much what's been discussed by scientists.

Heald
2nd March 2010, 02:44 PM
I saw this discussed the other day. Apparently a massive block of ice has broken away from Antarctica and when it melts, it's gonna throw a cataclysmic level of water into the ocean, and some scientist on the news the other day mentioned it could create conditions that can cause a tsunami.

However, they also mentioned that this ice was knocked away by another massive block ramming into it, rather than human-caused global warming, so that particular one wasn't. And yes, this earthquake wasn't caused by global warming.

Also, Blade, earthquakes can be caused directly by human activity too. Mine blasts and nuclear testing can as well, although I'm not too sure how big an earthquake caused by human actions can be. I'm pretty sure not very big, unless you nuked a fault or something under the crust. Which wouldn't be very feasible.

darktyranitar
2nd March 2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, apparently human induced earthquakes do happen, like the one in Rocky Arsenal, iirc, where they were injecting some chemical waste into the faults. And then there's the induced earthquake from the building of dams too (we have a few of those here too)

We don't have any earthquake (except the one from the dams), but only recently (2007) experienced some small scale earthquake, suspected to be an intraplate earthquake. Possibly cause? The build up stress from the 2004 Sumatra earthquake.

Master Rudy
3rd March 2010, 04:33 AM
Also, Blade, earthquakes can be caused directly by human activity too. Mine blasts and nuclear testing can as well, although I'm not too sure how big an earthquake caused by human actions can be. I'm pretty sure not very big, unless you nuked a fault or something under the crust. Which wouldn't be very feasible.

This was actually part of the plot of 24: The Game. Several high yeild, non-nuclear explosives were placed at various points in Los Angeles along major fault lines. If the explosions all went off at the same time it would have been enough to potentially make LA an island. Jack's team manages to disarm all but one of the bombs. This still manages to cause a pretty big quake and as a result the last third of the game is in a quake damaged LA adding damaged roads, collapsed bridges/buildings, power outages and riots into the list of hazards and problems that CTU has to deal with.

Between attempted presidental assassinations in 2002, 2003, 2009 (this one successful) and 2012, the man made LA quake in 2004, a weaponized virus in 2006, Air Force One getting shot down in 2007, Valencia getting nuked in 2012, terrorists taking over the White House and holding the President hostage in 2015 and various other bad things the world and timeline of 24 is a very fucked up place.

In news related to the actual earthquake this thing managed to actually cause a slight shift in the Earth's axis. Here's the full story on it right here. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth)

Number1ChanseyFan
3rd March 2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I am pretty lucky where I live when it comes to earthquakes. I can only remember one, it has to have been a long time ago by now, I think I posted a topic about it in this forum when it happened like right after I joined. But anyways, it just felt kinda like a really big truck went down my street, it didn't even knock anything over in my house. So yeah, when we get them, they are really small, but they are so rare, it still causes a little excitement.

Blademaster
3rd March 2010, 05:19 PM
Global warming/pollution casues earthquakes.

Right. I'm leaving. Maybe Mew Master can take over for me.

Telume
3rd March 2010, 05:45 PM
There are no earthquakes in my neck of the woods, no faults near florida.

Drago
3rd March 2010, 06:10 PM
There are no earthquakes in my neck of the woods, no faults near florida.
'cept for the Dolphins. LOLOLOLOLOL Wait, that was lame actually. Never mind.

Wouldn't the 2006 Gulf of Mexico earthquake have come fairly close? (I did research to make my post have a point, lol)

Magmar
3rd March 2010, 10:51 PM
Uhhh....
another earthquake (6.4 this time) just hit Taiwan a couple hours ago...
what the fuck.

Telume
4th March 2010, 02:52 PM
'cept for the Dolphins. LOLOLOLOLOL Wait, that was lame actually. Never mind.

Wouldn't the 2006 Gulf of Mexico earthquake have come fairly close? (I did research to make my post have a point, lol)

I guess? but I live on the East Coast of Florida lol, even if it would've caused a mini-tsunami like this one did, we probably would've FELT it but no ill-effects.

The West Coast would've been hit by the waves though, but other than that, no real effects.

I heard this earthquake caused seiches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiches) in Lake Pontchartrain.

Master Rudy
5th March 2010, 05:32 AM
Uhhh....
another earthquake (6.4 this time) just hit Taiwan a couple hours ago...
what the fuck.

Isn't it normal to have a bunch of earthquakes in a short time span following a big one? I seem to remember something like this happening with another big quake. I can't remember when it was but I do seem to recall a few smaller ones afterwards in a very short time span.

And FYI I don't mean aftershocks. I'm taking about a few others around the world in a short time.

Telume
5th March 2010, 12:57 PM
Like in the case of the 2004 one??

Jeff
5th March 2010, 02:06 PM
There's no faults around here, but a few years back there was a 2.6. I think the epicenter was about some 30-40 miles north of where I live.

Oh yeah, and I just heard about another one off the coast of Sumatra. 6.5 I think it was.