PDA

View Full Version : HG/SS is OUT!

Darth CookieMonster
14th March 2010, 10:05 AM
The US Version of Heartgold and Sousilver is out! Its finally here! Thoughts Anyone?

Jeff
14th March 2010, 10:12 AM
I probably won't get the chance to get it today, but I'll definitely try to get it tomorrow.

So, apparently there's been a big fuss over the fact that Tin Tower will be known as Bell Tower. I kid you not. Tin Tower may have been a translation error in the original, but it's still canon. Regardless, I'm still pretty exited about getting it. They also replaced the slot machines with a mini-game, but honestly, the mini-game sounds more entertaining than the slots ever were, so it's a win-win.

Darth CookieMonster
14th March 2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah I saw the bell Tower thing on Serebii.

Mr. Brightside
14th March 2010, 03:37 PM
They also replaced the slot machines with a mini-game, but honestly, the mini-game sounds more entertaining than the slots ever were, so it's a win-win.

Oh no.... At least you get to do something not just collecting coins as in Platinum @_@

pokemasterfrank
14th March 2010, 04:29 PM
Picked up my NA copy today. I get a relaxing play through now instead of trudging through with a Jap-Eng dictionary at hand.

Everoy
14th March 2010, 05:38 PM
Oh noes. The Tin Tower's name changed. MY LIFE IS OVER. >_>

Charles Legend
14th March 2010, 07:01 PM
Actually I can confirm the tin Tower's name was changed however as soon as I get to the to Ecruteak City I'll look around and see if I can dig up any in game hints why the name was changed. however I think it has something to do with the clear bell...

~Charles Legend

Jeff
14th March 2010, 10:08 PM
Voltorb flip is surprisingly addicting. I hope to put together a strategy guide for it soon and throw it up on the site, but the basic idea is that the top number is the sum of the numbers in that row or column (Voltorbs count as zero) and the number next to the Voltorb is the number of Voltorbs in that row or column (duh). If there are zero Voltorbs in the row, it's safe to flip over everything in that row, and another, less obvious, strategy is if the sum of the two numbers is 5, don't bother fliping over anything in that row or column since it's all either 1s or Voltorbs. Once you get a 2 or 3 you can eliminate other rows and columns like that by applying some simple logic. I was hoping to beat Whitney tonight, but at this rate that doesn't look like it's going to happen :P.

Everoy
15th March 2010, 12:54 AM
So it's like a weird version of Minesweeper?

I can't wait for HG to come in the mail, zomgzomgzomg.

Link
15th March 2010, 09:00 AM
I am going to be picking up both games right now from the gamestop that I pre-ordered them from. It should be a fun experience to start playing these games now that I played them way back when.

Jeff
15th March 2010, 09:51 AM
@Everoy. It's like a cross between Minesweeper and Sudoku.

PancaKe
15th March 2010, 06:54 PM
My little brother is getting me HeartGold for my 21st :D which was like 3 months ago but hey! whatever! :D

classy_cat18
16th March 2010, 07:18 PM
I got mine yesterday. Although I haven't made a lot of progress, the Pokewalker is fun to carry around. I caught my first Pokemon on it today, a male Nidoran.

Poryhedron
16th March 2010, 09:36 PM
I can't get it until the 21st ç_ç

I pre-ordered it, and then found out about an emergency that has taken me out-of-state for the week (I'm using hotel WiFi now.) The folks at my GameStop have assured me that, since I chose to pay full-price at the time of the pre-order, they will hold onto a copy for me for longer than the standard 48 hours.

I've already worked out HMers based on serebii's info on HM compatibility. To my surprise, I ended up going with Chikorita as my planned starter/HMer; by the end of the game I'll have three actual battlers, a Bayleef with Strength/Rock Smash/Flash/Sweet Scent, a Farfetch'd with Cut/Fly/Headbutt/Thief, and a Poliwrath with Surf/Whirlpool/Waterfall/Rock Climb (I'm going to carry a Sentret in the early game to use Cut and Surf until I can catch the Poliwhirl and Farfetch'd.) There will be much fun had. XD

abunaidesu
17th March 2010, 02:51 AM
My copy of SS is currently en route to my house and will be arriving this morning :) Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to actually play it until this weekend, oh well.

I actually want that Lugia figurine :(

Everoy
17th March 2010, 03:35 AM
Yeah, mine's coming today. SO. EXCITED. ZOMG.

Starry Might
17th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Me and my parents went to Sam's Club (among other places) out of town on Sunday, and my Dad bought both "HeartGold" and "SoulSilver" (I helped pay for the later 'cause that was the version I wanted) for a good price. :D

So, apparently there's been a big fuss over the fact that Tin Tower will be known as Bell Tower. I kid you not. Tin Tower may have been a translation error in the original, but it's still canon. Regardless, I'm still pretty exited about getting it. They also replaced the slot machines with a mini-game, but honestly, the mini-game sounds more entertaining than the slots ever were, so it's a win-win.
Yeah, I saw the Tin/Bell Tower thingy on there, too, and I don't care too much, but "Tin Tower" was the original name, so I was like "What?" :confused:

The new mini-game is (I think) new to me, though! I'm not that far along, though...I'm leveing up my 'mons below Violet City right now (I'M SO SLOW)! :lol:

So far, my team is Totodile, Pidgey, Beedrill, Geodude, and Mareep. What do you guys have? :)

EDIT: Just thought I'd better mention a couple things that slipped my mind when I first posted this...I actually have NOT beat the Sprout Tower nor the Gym yet, and I was honestly surprised I was able to catch a Mareep at THIS stage of the game! That's not how it worked before, right?!

All I have to say is...poor Falkner is really gonna be in trouble when I get to him. :( :lol: (Oh well, despite his faults, he's still my favorite Gym Leader in the entire "Pokemon" franchise. :falkner: :love2:)

Oh noes. The Tin Tower's name changed. MY LIFE IS OVER. >_>
:lol:

Blademaster
17th March 2010, 01:16 PM

brb buying 10 copies

Everoy
17th March 2010, 05:48 PM
ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG THE UPS GUY JUST CAME.

*grabs game*

Jeff
18th March 2010, 07:56 PM
Since people have been posting their progress, just thought I'd say...

It's official. Lance has gone down (game time 43:34). Now onward to Vermilion!:D

Link
18th March 2010, 08:25 PM
Whitney's Miltank went down like a rock down a hill. I don't remember her being that easy.

Everoy
18th March 2010, 08:31 PM
Wow, being able to get Mareep before Falkner makes him SO much easier. They probably did it because every version's had at least one pokemon you could get before the first gym to make it easy as cake except for GSC.

Starry Might
19th March 2010, 01:14 PM
brb buying 10 copies
:lol:

Since people have been posting their progress, just thought I'd say...

It's official. Lance has gone down (game time 43:34). Now onward to Vermilion!:D

Whitney's Miltank went down like a rock down a hill. I don't remember her being that easy.
My Dad has gotten to Azalea Town this morning before he went to work, and he's saved at the beginning of the Slowpoke Well.

All I got so far is a Zephyr Badge and some Unown/items from the Ruins of Alph.

I'M A SLOW PLAYER!! :mad: (LOL)

Wow, being able to get Mareep before Falkner makes him SO much easier. They probably did it because every version's had at least one pokemon you could get before the first gym to make it easy as cake except for GSC.
I used Mareep (Level 11, I think) against Falkner's Pidgeotto, and although I had to support her with a Potion, I won the fight okay. :) (Pidgeotto's Roost made me had to blast him a few times to knock him down, though.)

I have to agree with you there some, though...in "GSC", Rock-types were available to use against Falkner (though I think you might have been able to get Mareep for the Gym by trading with another game that's gone further than that...I've personally never done it, though).

BUT, he outfitted his birds with Mud-Slap back then, which, IMHO, makes the actual fight with him HARD if you used the "correct" type, 'cause Geodudes are slow, Onix lacks a super-effective move at the level you would fight the Gym at (I think), and Mud-Slap lowers Accuracy with each hit! And I'm wondering now if using a different type of Pokemon, as long as they were fast and strong enough, makes a difference or not! Yow.

Everoy
19th March 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant - a decent super-effective Pokemon. It's also the only generation without a starter that will give you a gym advantage. Although both of these things are probably because Brock, Roxanne, and Roark are all Rock-type Gym leaders and Grass- or Water-type Pokemon are common enough.

Just beat Bugsy last night, btw, and the game came in the mail two days ago so I'm def behind :(

classy_cat18
19th March 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm going slow too (reached Azalea Town just last night). I guess being able to hatch eggs using the Pokewalker was just pre-game speculation, but I haven't tried yet to confirm that.

I'm using Doduo instead of Pidgey for my Flying type to use against Bugsy. I might pay for it later, thanks to Doduo/Dodrio's shallow movepool, but right now Doduo has a better Attack stat.

Everoy
19th March 2010, 02:29 PM
I just torched the fuckers to death with my Quilava, lulz. My party atm is pretty silly - Quilava, Mareep, Wooper, Gastly, Spinarak, Togepi. I was gonna trade Spinarak for Hoppip, but I'm not sure, I think I might wait for a Sunkern and use it. I pick fairly odd Pokemon sometimes, lol. Togepi might stay in my party, I'm undecided. I took him to Bugsy and sent him out after using Gastly's Hypnosis for exp.

I forgot how hard it was to find decent Grass-types in this version. Meh.

classy_cat18
19th March 2010, 03:14 PM
I forgot how hard it was to find decent Grass-types in this version. Meh.

HG doesn't have Bellsprout?

Everoy
19th March 2010, 03:22 PM
I hate Bellsprout.

DivineAll
19th March 2010, 04:22 PM
My team so far has mostly been females. And by mostly, I mean all but my Starter. I think the game is unintentionally giving me a subtle subliminal message to get a girlfriend or something.

DarkestLight
19th March 2010, 04:55 PM
I hate Morty. Hated him 8 years ago. Hate him now. I lost to him with 1 hp left on his last Pokemon. -.- Night Shade is ridiculous.

Anyway, Ima go run around the Moo moo Farm and level my team of 4 to 30. Im w/ Bayleef, Pidgeotto, Flaffy and Sandslash (Who's SERIOUSLY about to go if I dun get a good Ground move soon...). Can't wait til I get Fly, then I can really get serious in this game about training-since I already caught a few Dittos.

Filling the Pokedex however, will be a chore.

Jeff
19th March 2010, 05:08 PM
Took his Gengar down with my Furret. Kept using Defense Curl so he couldn't even touch me with Sucker Punch. Heh.

CuteLassJigglypuff
19th March 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm playing Heart Gold. I just arrived at Azalea Town. My current team is Bayleef, Jirachi, Butterfree, Flaffy, Pidgey and Togetic.

abunaidesu
20th March 2010, 12:18 AM
http://icestrike.net/images/data/photo1.jpg

Starry Might
20th March 2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant - a decent super-effective Pokemon. It's also the only generation without a starter that will give you a gym advantage. Although both of these things are probably because Brock, Roxanne, and Roark are all Rock-type Gym leaders and Grass- or Water-type Pokemon are common enough.
Actually, I think Falkner's loss of Mud-Slap may be the real factor here, 'cause my Dad told me he did very well in the Violet Gym in his "HeartGold" game with Geodude.

Anyhow...

Just beat Bugsy last night, btw, and the game came in the mail two days ago so I'm def behind :(

I'm going slow too (reached Azalea Town just last night).
Phew, thank goodness I'm not the only one! :lol: :D

Yesterday, I reached Azalea Town and routed Team Rocket at the Slowpoke Well.

I asked my Dad how far along he is, and he told me he's just reached the next big city (Goldenrod).

Anyway, Ima go run around the Moo moo Farm and level my team of 4 to 30. Im w/ Bayleef, Pidgeotto, Flaffy and Sandslash (Who's SERIOUSLY about to go if I dun get a good Ground move soon...).
I looked up Sandslash on Bulbapedia, and according to them, the only damaging Ground-type move Sandslash can naturally learn is Sand Tomb.

Sorry! :(

As long as you're talking teams, I have Totodile, Pidgey, Beedrill, Mareep, and Geodude still. I plan on catching an Oddish soon to fill my Grass-type needs until I can get Eevee from Bill (which I plan on trading to my "Platinum" game long enough to turn it into a Leafeon).

I'm playing Heart Gold. I just arrived at Azalea Town. My current team is Bayleef, Jirachi, Butterfree, Flaffy, Pidgey and Togetic.
Whoa, another old member has come out of the woodwork! :D

Jeff
20th March 2010, 06:23 PM
My current team is: Dragonite, Crobat, Golem, Ampharos, Houndoom, and Feraligatr. Currently training them up to fight Red. May go legendary hunting in the meantime, but I'm gonna need some more fastballs from Kurt before I go after Entei, Raikou, and Latios. I currently have Kurt making me 12. Which reminds me, I added a page for HG/SS's apricorns (http://www.thepokemasters.net/games/hgss/apricorns.php). Specific locations, which ball Kurt makes from them, and Pokéathlon effects are all in there.

Starry Might
22nd March 2010, 11:46 AM
The most important things that happened to me as I played over the weekend:

(1) Mareep evolved into Flaafy. (My Team's still the same as the last time I posted otherwise.)

(2) I beat Bugsy and Co. at the Azalea Gym.

(3) I beat the rival (his Bayleef was a pain in the butt :mad:).

(4) I got through Ilex Forest.

(5) I reached Goldenrod City.

Number1ChanseyFan
22nd March 2010, 01:41 PM
I just got my games Sunday, and somehow I was able to beat Falkner, although I never really should have lol. My starter was Chikorita, and he was level 14, and even though I poisoned Falkner's Pidgeotto, Razor Leaf and Tackle weren't doing much since he kept using Roost and healing himself. So yeah, I was on my way to losing and then he just stopped using Roost for some reason, and he wiped out 5 out of my 6 Pokemon before Pidgeotto fainted from the poisoning. This was after the exciting fight with the elder at the Sprout Tower which I ended up getting into a staredown with my Metapod and his Bellsprout which ended up with his Bellsprout fainting from using Struggle when all of his PP ran out. lol

Starry Might
24th March 2010, 11:47 AM
^- Yow. :o

Anyhow, I mucked around in Goldenrod Monday, and last night I got my Oddish.

I'm gonna level him up in Union Cave for awhile.

Ayeun
24th March 2010, 06:54 PM
Released in Australia today...

I just knocked whittney out. Its 9.23am here, game was released at 9...

No trade ins from other versions, just me and my Quilava... Tonight, I will add Umbreon to my team.

Andrew
25th March 2010, 04:06 AM
I got Silver today!

I beat Faulkner pretty easily. Waiting for my bud Tony to get online so he can help me trade over my eggs from Pearl to Silver so I can continue to play!

It's ok so far, not great, but not bad.

Starry Might
26th March 2010, 08:54 AM
Copypasta from kainashi's "where are you at in your heart gold/soul silver playthrough?" topic (should we go post our game progress in there from now on?):

Anyhoo, I'm below Goldenrod City, about to level Muscle (the Machop you get from Jose in the department store if you give him a Drowzee) to level 18. I'm thinking about going after Whitney and Co. in the Gym after that.

The rest of my crew consists of Croconaw, Pidgeotto, Geodude, Flaaffy, and Oddish.

Oh, and another thing: I saw on Serebii a little earlier that NOE (Nintendo of Europe) says that the Dutch language versions of "HG/SS" will be delayed due to a fatal save game glitch. :o

Official story at the official Belgian Nintendo site (http://www.nintendo.be/NOE/nl_BE/news/2010/lancering_pokmon_heartgold_version_en_pokmon_souls ilver_version_uitgesteld_16569.html) (According to a translation I looked at via Google Translate, they don't explicitly say what's wrong there, though.)

Ayeun
26th March 2010, 11:53 AM
UPDATE!!!

I just defeated Clair (Which is the name of my EX, so I feel good about it too)

I have Typhlosion, Umbreon, Cloyster, and Vileplume all in the early 60's.

Go team!

MeLoVeGhOsTs
26th March 2010, 12:48 PM
Crap. Delay.

Sure, the french part of belgium gets them..

Fucking french.

DarkestLight
26th March 2010, 04:53 PM
I still haven't tried to progress after finishing the last of the Johto badges. Rocking Saf Zone. Got my Kanga. Screw the fact that Magmar is a tard and wont stay in the Safari Ballz

Currently looking for that Free Lvl 20 Lapras in Union Cave which is AGGRAVATING SINCE I CANT FIND IT ><. Then its off to breed 7 eevees..and to find all my Ditto's so nature breeding will be easy and efficient.

Andrew
26th March 2010, 08:20 PM
DL, Lapras only is available on Friday nights in the Union Cave. At night I believe.

shazza
26th March 2010, 09:58 PM
I want to have it but I don't have a DS. :(

Poryhedron
26th March 2010, 11:05 PM
Screw the fact that Magmar is a tard and wont stay in the Safari Ballz
There are wild Magmar in Burned Tower.

Starry Might
29th March 2010, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, I've decided from now on, I'm gonna post my adventures in "SoulSilver" in the other topic. That's okay, right?

Oh, and I noticed there was a "NEW" link next to the page numbers under the topic title. Is that a new (hee-hee!) feature? This is the only topic I've noticed it on, though.

Poryhedron
29th March 2010, 11:14 PM
Looks like the NEW link appears on topics that have new posts, and it takes you to the first new post. I'm pretty sure we already had a link like that...but this one's a lot more visible.

Sean the Greatest
4th April 2010, 05:47 PM
Not sure if I should post my experience in this topic, or in the other one...

Even though the Dutch release of HG/SS was postponed until last Friday, I managed to get my copy of SS on the European release date itself. It seems one or more batches contained that fatal glitch, so Nintendo decided to call back all batches, but somehow my friend managed to get a copy for both himself and I, just before that happened. Apparently, the bug also caused some system crashes in the Nintendo DS itself, and some toy stores already got sued for letting them sell the games (including the Intertoys company). I guess it was just a lucky batch we encountered. Because from what I have read/been told, was that HG gave a fatal saving error right at the beginning of the game, whereas SS would deal with that same problem later in the game. So far, neither of us have had any trouble at all...

Anyway, some 54 game hours (=8 game days) later, I managed to win all the 16 badges, but something funny has occurred to me before entering Mt Moon just last night. I was just battling/catching some wild Gulpin and Jigglypuff on Route 3, and I wanted to heal my team at the Center. However, Nurse Joy immediately started to talk about that I was infected with the Pokerus. Did my eyes deceive me? Finally I have encountered what I was hoping for many, many years! So in the meanwhile, I'm busy to spread the virus through all of my Pokemon :). Including my helpful Legendary-catcher Darkrai :) (long live the combo Hypnosis+Nightmare & Bad Dreams trait) ^^.