PDA

View Full Version : Happy 10th Anniversary to The PokéMasters Forums!

Jeff
23rd March 2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.thepokemasters.net/styles/forum/tpmf_10th_anniv.png

On March 24th, 2000, our founder, Pokémaster Kevin, opened the PokéMasters Forums to the world. The forums proved to be one of the most popular online Pokémon communities, and one decade and several server and software changes later, we're still going.

You might recognize the names of some of our past active members. Serebii, Archaic, and Water Pokémon Master were all once TPMers. Our ASB league remains one of the most popular out there. The annual Unown Awards have been a huge hit. The project to revive TPM's site was even started right here on our forums. And that only scratches the surface. The friendships that have been formed, one of which has even led to marriage, the memories that have been made, and the general fun that's been had have all made TPMf the great place it has been and remains to this day.

There's no doubt that The PokéMasters Forums have been a great and influential community over the past 10 years of their existence, so here's to many more!

And with that, there really is only one thing left to do when celebrating the birthday of our forums...
http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/images/smilies/birthday.gif

Master Rudy
23rd March 2010, 09:06 PM
Damn....I actually forgot all about this! ^_^()
Happy birthday to TPM! I say we put that new banner up for awhile in place of the classic one of Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho-Oh ^_~

Magmar
23rd March 2010, 10:33 PM
Woo! Although the thread is kind of redundant, given that there's one in Misc. Yours is flashier Jeff!

Anyways, it's kind of hard to believe, but ten years has gone by since that day. Ten long ass years o_O; but it really was in the blink of an eye. In retrospect, it really does feel like just yesterday I was 13 and joined TPM. I actually remember the exact moment that I joined. I was at home and it was a weekday and I wasn't feeling well, so I meandered online and happened to go to TPM and it was like just announced that the forums open. I freaked out and joined as Magmar 'cuz I figured all the good Pokemon names were taken so I AIM chat /roll'd and got 126. I remember it was a cloudy March day. One of those where it doesn't rain but it's cold. I was in the room that became my brother's room.

I had dialup at the time even!

Just so you guys know, my sinister evil mother figure used to forbid me from going online when I was like 14-15 for some bizarre reason (she had no friends so she always did everything in her power to prevent me from having them) so I got free Walmart internet and when I got caught with that I got Netzero and always found a way back online >=) sometimes just for TPM :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th March 2010, 08:50 AM
I myself somehow realized I couldn't sing up as Articuno my favourite Pokemon back there. I wanted my name to be more original, and here you got it. Even now.

Sorry about the double topic thingy, Jeff, I should have trusted you on making a flashier one. Plus, mine has the Finnish flag everywhere!

Jeff
24th March 2010, 09:07 AM
Lol, it's OK, this forum is for putting stuff up on the main page so it ends up with a bunch of redundant threads anyway, and in all fairness, yours was first.

Starry Might
24th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Happy Anniversary, TPM Forums!

*TOOTS PARTY HORN*

I originally signed up in November 2000, but was originally lurking as a guest on it since March of that year, I believe. :)

Telume
24th March 2010, 02:58 PM
Nice to actually be a part of this community even if I joined a little later.

Mr. Brightside
24th March 2010, 03:03 PM
OOOH! Ten years is a long time! Happy Anniversary! Will there be a cake?

Telume
24th March 2010, 03:33 PM
I say Gabi brings the cake.

Elekidkid
24th March 2010, 11:17 PM
I certainly remember nervously registering back in the computers at my middle school just so I could post a team to be rated.

Link
25th March 2010, 08:41 PM
I remember when Green Pikachu was a mod here. Then the guys here were getting their teams rated while I was busy with other things in life.

Elekidkid
26th March 2010, 12:56 AM
Oooo, and when that whole Team Girafarig or whatever started up. Those were good times, with all of the playthrough challenges that kept cropping up all over the place.

Magmar
26th March 2010, 12:04 PM
I certainly remember nervously registering back in the computers at my middle school just so I could post a team to be rated.

I remember doing the same thing way back in 1999, when TPM was just a Web site (no forums) and rated teams. I had a Nidoqueen with Poison Sting. I was SO nervous 'cuz the team seemed to work so well against my friends... but really... a Nidoqueen with Poison Sting, really now...

OH AND FISSURE AND HORN DRILL.

Elekidkid
26th March 2010, 12:15 PM
Did you ever conceptualize a team where everyone had Hyper Beam? I remember planning it all out and thinking "man, this would probably be one of the best teams EVER."

Magmar
26th March 2010, 12:38 PM
I never really had the patience to buy the Hyper Beam TMs! I remember using the Legendary Birds more often than I should have, though, and a Blastoise with Hydro Pump AND Surf. And probably Skull Bash, too, knowing me. XD I thought Pokemon who learned the move naturally could dish out more damage. I was on the right track, just wrong idea--it was same element, not sameness in the natural moveset.

Blademaster
26th March 2010, 05:31 PM
Jynx with Water Pulse.

...Yeah...

Master Rudy
27th March 2010, 06:31 AM
I never really had the patience to buy the Hyper Beam TMs! I remember using the Legendary Birds more often than I should have, though, and a Blastoise with Hydro Pump AND Surf. And probably Skull Bash, too, knowing me. XD I thought Pokemon who learned the move naturally could dish out more damage. I was on the right track, just wrong idea--it was same element, not sameness in the natural moveset.

I think we all made equally bad choices on our first teams Mag. Shit I still remember when Red and Blue first came out in the States. I posted a team to be rated elsewhere before TPM was even a thought in my head. My 13 year old mind could not comprehend why people said my Level 100 Pikachu with Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Thunder and Thunder Wave sucked so much. After all it was what Ash used in the anime and he almost always won! XD :lol:

Good times......

And before anyone asks I actually had the time and patience to get Hyper Beam on most of my main team members at the time. Worked awesome against the 9 and 10 year old kids who had no clue......not so well against people that actually had an understanding of the game mechanics XD

mr_pikachu
27th March 2010, 10:41 AM
Damn....I actually forgot all about this! ^_^()
Happy birthday to TPM! I say we put that new banner up for awhile in place of the classic one of Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho-Oh ^_~

Posting in agreement with Master Rudy. Happy birthday, TPM!

Also, the current discussion makes me remember my (never completed) attempt to get six Lv. 100 Mewtwos on one game cartridge, as well as my research on TPM's Pokedex to find one Pokemon that could learn all OHKO moves (to avoid type immunities) as well as Lock-On. Yes, I was trying to create a veritable Pokemon god... then RSE brought Sturdy Pokemon into the mix. Oh well.

Ifrian
28th March 2010, 03:01 AM
I have just joined but i would like to congratulate the site, forums and it´s users for their 10th anniversary.
Must be something wonderful to keep a project alive for so long.

My respect goes to you all.

Jeff
28th March 2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks, and welcome to the forums!

Also, I got a chuckle out of your user title. It just so happens to be the username of one of our other members.:P Speaking of Houndoom Lover, where has she been? Maybe we should start a search party like we did with Mikachu?

Ifrian
28th March 2010, 02:43 PM
Also, I got a chuckle out of your user title. It just so happens to be the username of one of our other members.:P
Doh!
That is indeed amusing, Houndoom just happens to be my favorite pkmn of all times :3

Speaking of Houndoom Lover, where has she been? Maybe we should start a search party like we did with Mikachu?

If she is who she claims to be, she must be either at route 214 or 215 toying with her Poké Radar.

Unbraced
28th March 2010, 10:17 PM
Wow. I had no idea this site was so old and powerful. I'm glad to be here.

Néo Mewtwo
31st March 2010, 05:31 PM
Wow 10 years! I've been a member here since goodness knows when although for the past few years haven't commented much. I remember doing art requests back in 2001 or something. Doesn't time fly? I'm glad Pokémasters is still going strong, great job you guys! I hope you will be around for many years to come.

IndianaSnorlax
31st March 2010, 11:02 PM
This is unreal. My buddy Indiana Blastoise and I randomly checked back on this website today (he actually did but we were on the phone so it still counts)! Ten years?! I cannot believe this site is still kicking around. An unbelievable amount of nostalgia! To think I registered only 5 days after this place opened. Absolutely amazing.

Houndoom_Lover
1st April 2010, 03:48 AM
EEEEhehehe, I shoulda been here to do a card of the whatever! My bad!!!

On that note--Rickroll'd!!! I LAWLED!