PDA

View Full Version : Here a question about the Sevii Islends

Charles Legend
20th April 2010, 11:21 AM
Why dose it seem like everyone hates the Sevii Islands? Also what could have been done to improve them?

~Charles Legend

Poryhedron
20th April 2010, 08:01 PM
On Seven Island is an old woman who confides in you that, although most people think they're called the Sevii islands because there are seven of them, the truth is that they're called that because they were made in seven days.

I can absolutely believe that that's true, in the real world, in Game Freak's offices.

There's just too much about the Islands that reeks of rushing. What kind of name is "Lostelle" for a lost girl? The departure from numbering routes would have been a nice touch if they'd come up with better names than "Green Path" and "Water Path". In fact, the islands themselves have lousy names; the original names, which would have been at least somewhat cooler, are relegated to just a mention on the signpost. Places like Pattern Bush and Altering Cave are a letdown because the former seems all mysterious but doesn't actually have any special meaning, and the latter lost its special meaning because most places outside of Japan didn't have access to the thingy you needed to unlock it. And speaking of thingies needed to unlock something, the Sevii Islands also include Navel Rock and Birth Island, which are just another part of Nintendo not understanding that most places in the world don't work the same way as Japan.

Blademaster
21st April 2010, 11:23 AM
Aren't the Sevii Islands supposed to be the video game equivalent to the Orange Islands? If they are, that's grounds to hate them right there.

Seriously, the DS's touch screen makes at least SOME of those Orange Island Gym matches feasible. And the Orange Cup, facing off against a second Champion on a tropical island surrounded by cheering fans?

Instead we get one tiny tie-in with Lorelei's house appearing on one of the islands, like she appeared on the islands in one anime episode. Big. Fucking. Whoop.

Even if they weren't meant to be the Orange Islands, they're still tiny and not worth visiting. I don't remember anything that fun or useful on any of the islands, and like Pory said, there's plenty of weird places there that have nothing interesting in them.

Jeff
21st April 2010, 01:43 PM
The Seviis were basically a way of tacking Gen 2 and 3 features onto games that were originally Gen 1 games. You had to go to them if you wanted to breed, etc., and that was a problem because of the flying issue. I can understand not being able to fly between the islands and Kanto, but it would have been nice if you could fly from one island to any other island.

Not saying that I hated them, they could have just been implemented a bit better.

Charles Legend
21st April 2010, 04:07 PM
Right -_-' I Agree that they were rushed however when I herd what the old woman said I was thinking that Jirachi had a hand in making them or that they were made by the Unown, or both. :nod:

What kind of name is "Lostelle" the same could be said of Red and Leaf, but her name fit's.

The departure from numbering routes would have been a nice touch if they'd come up with better names than "Green Path" and "Water Path". he routes on the Sevii Islands are not numbered, unlike the other regions. This is likely to prevent confusion as to their relation to the others, as continuing where Johto left off (at Route 46, at the time the highest-numbered Johto route) would seemingly imply that Johto is accessible in the games.

in fact, the islands themselves have lousy names; the original names, which would have been at least somewhat cooler, are relegated to just a mention on the signpost. Color=wheat] Actually your wrong...

Islands: Knot • Boon • Kin • Floe • Chrono • Fortune • Quest • Navel • Birth

Towns: One Island • Two Island • Three Island • Four Island • Five Island • Six Island • Seven Island

Places like Pattern Bush and Altering Cave are a letdown because the former seems all mysterious but doesn't actually have any special meaning, and the latter lost its special meaning because most places outside of Japan didn't have access to the thingy you needed to unlock it. And speaking of thingies needed to unlock something, the Sevii Islands also include Navel Rock and Birth Island, which are just another part of Nintendo not understanding that most places in the world don't work the same way as Japan. ]An intriguing aspect of Pattern Bush are the mysterious empty patches of ground. No reason for such a phenomenon is given, although the Trainers battling there have their own suspicions. This may be a reference to the Nazca lines or crop circles. however, from looking at the map from a distance, the area resembles a microchip, or more specifically, the game cartidge's internal printed circuit board.

I Agree that the Altering Cave could have been used better, like for example the pokemon and layout could have changed daily and there could have been 17 layouts all together, and like a researcher (maybe named Prof. Silktree.) could have shown up and said something like "This cave is said in legend to be the place were the shards of the universe became Sixteen Plates."

Also the Pokemon that were in Altering Cave should have been on the routs in the frist place.

Aren't the Sevii Islands supposed to be the video game equivalent to the Orange Islands? If they are, that's grounds to hate them right there.

Seriously, the DS's touch screen makes at least SOME of those Orange Island Gym matches feasible. And the Orange Cup, facing off against a second Champion on a tropical island surrounded by cheering fans?

Instead we get one tiny tie-in with Lorelei's house appearing on one of the islands, like she appeared on the islands in one anime episode. Big. Fucking. Whoop.

Even if they weren't meant to be the Orange Islands, they're still tiny and not worth visiting. I don't remember anything that fun or useful on any of the islands, and like Pory said, there's plenty of weird places there that have nothing interesting in them.

According to the the Animι map, the Sevii Islands are under Kanto and after the Sevii is New Island then the Orange Islands. (don't sk me how Ash Misty and Brock made it that far with just a Staryu and a Surtitle. -_-')

Yeah maybe for you but I Like theorizing about mysteries in the pokemon games and find the Sevii Islands very intriguing...

]The Sevii Islands were basically a way of tacking Gen 2 and 3 features onto games that were originally Gen 1 games. You had to go to them if you wanted to breed, etc., and that was a problem because of the flying issue. I can understand not being able to fly between the islands and Kanto, but it would have been nice if you could fly from one island to any other island.

Not saying that I hated them, they could have just been implemented a bit better.

Yeah what they should have done is did R/S/E then FR/LG then did a third game for FR/LG called WaterBlue but shaking up a bit what I mean is that in water blue could have had a different Pokedex listing that listed all pokemon catch-able in the game and not just gen on pokemon, why so it will actually confirm that most of Jotho's Pokemon were discovered in the Sevii Islands. and also give hints to the forth Gen such as having have like swarms of pokemon for the same 16 types that Arceus can become holding one of 16 plates sides Prof. Silktree could bave been a hint to HeartGold and SoulSilver, explicitly if he said the following "I plan to found a research facility in a place called the Ruins of Alph, hum I wounder if the those ruins and the Tanoby Chambers have a connection to the Alpha Pokιmon? Hum..."

but yeah I wish they had left Dive, contests as well as not blocking evolutions...

Also you guys Ignored my second question what do you thing they could have done to improve the Sevii Islands?

~Charles Legend

Jeff
21st April 2010, 05:33 PM
Well, like I said, they should have allowed you to fly between all the islands. They also should have thrown in a contest house on one of the islands along with a way to make pokeblocks so Feebas can evolve. Another thing they could have done with the Seviis is have some time-based area like the shoal cave and patches of loamy soil for berry-planting purposes. That would have given them more of a reason to put in an internal clock, which would also be used for Eevee-evolving purposes. In general, there was alot of missed potential to add more 2nd and 3rd gen features to the games. The Seviis were an interesting concept, but poorly executed.

Murcielago
14th May 2010, 04:36 PM
In the Sevii Islands defence, one of the best training locations is One Island. The hot springs are very near to a bunch of Black Belts, the two strongest both have a Machoke, and Machamp.