PDA

View Full Version : Ash.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st April 2010, 03:33 AM
Yes, ash has gotten out part of Europe completely terrorized. Atleast the airtraffic.

Discuss.

Also, it's about Eyjafjallajökull, not the pokemon master.

Drago
21st April 2010, 03:45 AM
It's funny how this sucker hasn't gone off for 200 years, and happens to choose now, when I'm just a month off flying to Europe. All going well, it should clear out by then, but still - NOW? Really??
My girlfriend's parents were due to fly out on Monday, but the ash has pushed them back all the way to today, when they finally headed off - of course, there's still no assurance that they'll actually make it all the way into Europe, or if they'll just join the stranded masses in Singapore.

Needless to say, I've been following this event rather fervently...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st April 2010, 08:10 AM
Ash get out of our aircraft, we don't want your pathetic team.

Hah. Finland's aircraft is closed again. It was active for awhile, but it was closed again then. Train movement was affected as well. Just as if all the strikes weren't enough for us. Yes, a series of strikes has been bugging our country, and now this.

What about Iceland itself, they showed the poor farmers there in the news, having lost their crop. And the bigger volcano aside Katla/whatever may wake up too.

Blademaster
21st April 2010, 11:36 AM
Iceland, in essence, IS one giant volcano. Hell, it was only about 50 years ago that an entirely new island formed there when Surtsey blew its top off the south shore. A big eruption like this isn't that surprising...

EDIT: Holy. Shit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull_volcanic_ash_19_April_2010.p ng

It... would seem that this was a... slightly larger eruption than I had initially surmised... Ehhh... Have fun, Magmar. :heh:

Telume
21st April 2010, 12:06 PM
Usually when a big eruption goes off like that the ash covers a huge portion.

Hell we don't need to look too far back in history to when that happened here in the US.

*point at Mt. St. Helens* Covered a biiiig portion of the northeast with Ash. It looked like night time at 3 PM for a while.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st April 2010, 04:44 PM
Well airtraffic is open until Saterday here, mostly to get people on vacation back. Then closed off again, until things are reviewed again.

Blademaster
22nd April 2010, 08:24 AM
Hey, I call it like I see it. When the ash is spread over nearly 9,000 miles, that's a bit bigger than I'm expecting.

Remember the Hawaii scene from 2012?

Jeff
22nd April 2010, 11:57 AM
The airports need to reopen, this guy (http://wjz.com/local/student.stuck.in.2.1649800.html) needs to get back to his home... and his underwear.

Magmar
23rd April 2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00710/Eyjafjallajokull_vo_710461a.jpg

How cool is that. The volcano exploding in the bottom right corner, and the Northern Lights all around :)

Edit: I love to edit my posts. Didn't Iceland just go bankrupt? This is the last thing that country needs. Maybe it should sell its land to the highest bidder. I'm sure Norway'd take it back. It obviously doesn't have much good going for it. Man it must suck to be the president of a bankrupt country plagued by earthquakes, volcanos, lightning and ocean gales.

@Blademaster: *Dives right in* :126: :V

Blademaster
23rd April 2010, 09:03 AM
Looking at that picture makes my eyes hurt. I know it's a still picture, but my eyes are trying to process it as moving. Damn Photoshop blur...

Jeff
23rd April 2010, 09:37 AM
That would make a cool wallpaper.

Katie
27th April 2010, 05:07 PM
I hope Bjarni's okay!

My prof sent us pictures of the eruption + a little info through email and ended it with "no, you won't be tested over this". Then he asked us in class how the volcano's behaving differently than usual, and asked us why. NO FAIR. Then we had a pop quiz (over actual relevant stuff) with 25 bonus points for spelling the volcano's name correctly, and what it means. HHHHHHHNGGGGGGGG. :| I'm ready if he ever pulls that shit again. Eyjafjallajokull. Eyjafjallajokull. Eyjafjallajokull. Island mountain glacier. Woo!