PDA

View Full Version : Movie/video game moments that scared the hell out of you.

Magmar
25th April 2010, 12:14 PM
Who else remembers being a kid and being petrified of certain moments in certain games or movies?? I did research online and it seems most complaints were either of Super Metroid or the Dead Hands/Floormasters in Ocarina of Time (for nintendo)

But I can't help but give an honorable mention to the vortex aliens in the Ecco the dolphin games. These things would crawl out of walls and tunnels in the dark and like... eat ecco. Then you'd have to go all the way back to the start of the level. You'd just see it crawl out from behind a wall and like zoom up to you, next thing you see is the dolphin like... break and the screen flashes and the dolphin like screams, then you're back to start.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/snipernightowl/vortex.jpg
This fucking scared the hell out of me. When I was literally no older than 6 years old, I couldn't sleep at night because I thought the alien head was going to come for me. I would literally not be able to look out my window into the backyard, and had to hide under the blankets and cry XD;; I was like scarred.

I also remember the circus the Care Bears went to in the movie was really scary >_<;;
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_D1ZZyTOG7tQ/SBGsFooXEDI/AAAAAAAAB-w/diF-xcZ4mH4/s400/Care+Bears+Movie+Spell+Book.jpg
This thing, along with the evil circus, were fucked up.

Finally, nothing was more traumatizing than the final sailor moon battle with queen beryl >_< like.. where all the senshi get tortured/killed :(

http://friends.xocomp.net/mandy/Great%20Endings/46and47/063.jpg
Mako-chaaaaan!!! Nooooo, don't die ):

This is a sober post brought to you by Magmar. Wow.

Heald
25th April 2010, 12:55 PM
Sonics 1 to 3.

The longer this music went on, my heart would beat faster and the tighter my arse became.

fpFi6rEDrDY

Telume
25th April 2010, 01:30 PM
2 scenes in particular:

When I was 3 or so the Pinocchio scene when Monstro came out scared the shit out of me until I figured out it wasn't real lol.

There was also the scene in Alien Ressurection where the guy's head gets popped (they removed that on in the TV version and I can see why.) by the alien. Though this one made me wanna lose my lunch more than freak the hell out.

Asilynne
25th April 2010, 01:34 PM
The dead hands were scary but the Redeads were scarier IMO, because they lumbered over to you all slow and shit and then screamed (which chilled me just from that) but it also immobilized you and then it jumped on you and started eating your brains.... Thats a bit much for me xD

And yeah the aliens in Ecco did it to me too, especially when your in a normal looking zone and all of a sudden one would woosh out of nowhere and attack you, even if you killed its body its head would float around and still dart at you...

Also the dream part of this movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoUNzsgiIew&feature=related
Every single time they showed the monster I was fine, its just the surreal bullshit they had in the dream, and at the end of the dream seeing that kid and what he said scared me so bad I actually cried XD I saw it at the theatres, and then I laughed at myself for being that scred to start crying lol.

Kuro Espeon
25th April 2010, 03:38 PM
omg Heald that music always scared me too! @_@ I was like: "nooooo must. not. drown. ahhhhhh!! But the music always made me panic and cause me to mess up on the simplest of jumps! >_>

There aren't a lot of things in movies or games that I find truly terrifying. However, I do remember being scared shitless by E.T. as a child. Particularly the scene near the beginning where Elliot is searching through the tall grass at night with the flashlight and comes across ET and ET screams and makes the most terrifying face and noise ever. It doesn't bother me as much anymore, but it always made me run out of the room when I was a kid. XD

Roy Karrde
25th April 2010, 03:45 PM
I would have to say that the Zombie hands coming out of the window scared the living hell out of me the first time it ever happened to me in Resident Evil 2. And really... ALL of Fatal Frame 1

Heald
25th April 2010, 03:54 PM
This motherfucker from Zelda here:

fhTJYa3Cwuw

Also, the ReDead/zombies that used to attack you in Ocarina of Time.

Asilynne
25th April 2010, 04:27 PM
OMFG that thing scared me too >.< I forgot all about that creepy thing >.<

Jeff
25th April 2010, 04:42 PM
ReDead rape. That is all.

Blademaster
25th April 2010, 04:48 PM
When I was a kid, skeletons scared the FUCK out of me.

8IedojumyVo

^It took me no less than 6 years to beat this fucking level.

I attribute this fear of skeletons to a certain Nickelodeon commercial that always - ALWAYS showed a montage including THIS FUCKING SCENE:

sQAFRCNzSsQ#t=8m29s

Skip to 8:20 or so. You'll know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Weasel Overlord
25th April 2010, 04:59 PM
I would have to say that the Zombie hands coming out of the window scared the living hell out of me the first time it ever happened to me in Resident Evil 2.

QUOTED FOR TRUFAX. I agree, Roy. The second-worst thing in that game was falling through the floor in the Library. Shit myself, I did. Proper shit myself. And nothing quite beats the dread of hearing a chainsaw revving up and knowing that old hessian-face is coming to CHAINSAW YOUR HEAD OFF. Brr.

When I was a kid, I was shit-scared of the beginning of Edward Scissorhands. No idea why, cos I loved the rest of it. I was also terrified of various episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, this lame cartoon that did horror twists on fairy tales. Their version of Sleeping Beauty literally gave me nightmares for months. I've always been a pussy, heh. Didn't even like reading the blurbs of Goosebumps books, or Point Horror. *shudder*

Knight of Time
25th April 2010, 05:19 PM
I can think of two areas in Twilight Princess that are truly scary to get through, and they are rather similar.

One of which is the building in Kakariko Village (while you're a wolf hunting those spider-like creatures that give you the Tears of Light when you kill them) that has three of those creatures hiding in the furnace, aka the building that you end up having to set on fire and get out of before it blows up, that's really scary.

Second area in the game I thought was scary...when you're first getting to Lake Hylia after beating the Goron Mines and becoming a wolf again, on the bridge that gets set on fire while you're about to cross it...the situation there forces you to push a crate against the bridge in order to escape the fire on both ends of the bridge, in order to land in Lake Hylia.

Jeff
25th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah, Tale of the Dead Man's Float.

No other Are You Afraid of the Dark episode scared my quite like that one, especially when they put the dye in the water to find out what the ghost looked like and it jumped out at them. My sister couldn't watch a single episode after seeing that.

Drago
25th April 2010, 06:06 PM
In response to Are You Afraid of the Dark, I say Tale of the Quicksilver tops them all.

First time I played Mario 64, it was all new and fresh to me to be interacting in this 3D world... So when I first came upon Unagi the Eel in Jolly Roger Bay, it scared the hell out of me. I even had to get my sister to get the star for me in 'Can the Eel come out to play?'
In OoT, the first time I came upon the Spider House in Kakariko Village creeped me out. Another thing that scared me because I wasn't expecting it was when I went to the lab at Lake Hylia and put the iron boots on in the water in there to see what was in the cage, and there was a friggin' shark. This 2D, random pixelated shark scared me. Lame. Underwater enemies always seem to scare me. Like Chomper the shark in Banjo-Kazooie, and that huge metallic one (Clanker?) when I first saw him.
One of the first things in a game to scare me though was the goddamn tyrannosaurus Rex in the Genesis Jurassic Park game. That thing was jus deadly, man.

As for movies, there were a few things. (Spoilers in 20 year old movies ahead!!) First was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, when Judge Doom reveals he's a toon and he's all yelling and shit in that high pitched voice - I would actually run out of the room.

Trantor the troll in Ernest Scared Stupid scared the hell out of me (serious nightmares), as well as the scene in Beetlejuice where he turns into a giant snake. That's some heavy shit for a kid. Plus... Large Marge in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Holy shit I hated that.

And the earliest scene I remember scaring me... Was in Little Mermaid, when King Triton got pissed off and started smashing up Ariel's shit in the secret cavern thing. Ha.

Thanks for the memory trip, Maggy. :)

abunaidesu
25th April 2010, 06:23 PM
Sonics 1 to 3.

The longer this music went on, my heart would beat faster and the tighter my arse became.

fpFi6rEDrDY

I fucking hated those water levels so much. Also, the carnival levels can suck my non-existent dick.

Generally, any games that involve smashing walls and timers make me cringe

Magmar
25th April 2010, 10:19 PM
Sonics 1 to 3.

Wow, I totally have to agree. My body tensed like I was about to go on a roller coaster lol like I'd fidget and get all nervous over Sonic possibly drowning, even though if it was Sonic 2 I probably had 30 lives (but in Sonic 1, drowning in that stupid god damn labyrinth zone drove me nuts!)

As for are you afraid of the dark... whichever one had the little lizards that bit you and was like "Bite you once bite you twice, a little water pay the price" scared me enough that I remember that line to this day. I think what freaked me out was when some girl got pushed into the shower and died or something like that.

OH and Rescue 911. William Shatner. SCARY!!! I thought that the ceiling fans were going to crash into my living room, that every spark plug was gonna shoot little electric zaps and start fires, or that every cigarette was really not put out that my parents had smoked. Everyone was about to have heart attacks and every thunderstorm was about to cause destruction. Fuck you william shatner.

Blademaster
25th April 2010, 11:00 PM
There was also the scene in Alien Ressurection where the guy's head gets popped (they removed that on in the TV version and I can see why.) by the alien.

How can you mention disturbing shit in Alien: Resurrection and not mention the ENDING?! Seeing a hulking mutated mass of half-human, half-alien, saggy-breasted shrieking skeletal hellspawn wail and howl in utter agony as it's sucked out of a hole the size of a golf ball by the vacuum of space, FROM THE INSIDE OUT!?!???! I first saw that shit when I was nearing the end of high school and it STILL scared me shitless.

One of the first things in a game to scare me though was the goddamn tyrannosaurus Rex in the Genesis Jurassic Park game. That thing was jus deadly, man.

The original JP, or Rampage Edition? The original T-rex is not that scary when you consider... Well, this:

uZUXGVy13lU

In-game he can still be kinda scary, but holy FUCK was that intro sweet.

As for are you afraid of the dark... whichever one had the little lizards that bit you and was like "Bite you once bite you twice, a little water pay the price" scared me enough that I remember that line to this day. I think what freaked me out was when some girl got pushed into the shower and died or something like that.

Curse of the Chameleon, I believe. She didn't die, though. She just turned into a lizard, nearly shoved in a garbage disposal, reverted to human form, turned BACK into a lizard, and then thrown down a well, which she audibly bounced off the walls of several times before finally splashing down into the water and drowning a horrible, lonely death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yepHP-wevs#t=4m25s

:)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
27th April 2010, 05:02 AM
http://friends.xocomp.net/mandy/Great%20Endings/46and47/063.jpg
Mako-chaaaaan!!! Nooooo, don't die ):

My beloved neighbour Swedish voice actors ruined this episode for me. Sailor Moon kept yelling 'Mercury!' when it was Mars who was killed. Well at least the ep in question was shown here in Finland.

Probably the scariest movie for me used to be IT. It used to be, but then I watched it so many times it wasn't scary anymore. Now I laugh at that stupid clown.

Also, 'Dead Man's Float' Blade posted... sounds familiar, but I'm too scared to look!

Drago
27th April 2010, 05:48 AM
The original JP, or Rampage Edition? The original T-rex is not that scary when you consider... Well, this:

uZUXGVy13lU

In-game he can still be kinda scary, but holy FUCK was that intro sweet.
I can't find it on Youtube, but seriously - the part in Grant's intro where he first sees the t-rex, it sounds like it's saying 'mommy'. I've always thought that.

PancaKe
27th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Sonics 1 to 3.

fpFi6rEDrDY

That music makes my heart stop beating and clench up real tight

Knight of Time
27th April 2010, 09:26 AM
Well, it took a bit of work, but I finally found some good videos of the two scary areas I mentioned in Twilight Princess.

This one shows when you're going after the Tears of Light in Kakariko Village, at around 7:00 into the video, it shows the building catching fire.

OvSUsjbtOLg

This video shows the bridge over Lake Hylia that is set on fire, that you have to escape by pushing a crate against the bridge to be able to climb up and jump off, but you can't waste time there because the fire on each end of the bridge begins to close in, and that is really scary, as it can kill Wolf Link if he gets trapped (e.g. if you're a newbie to that spot, and/or you're not paying attention).

0HOiwf1mVMY

Both of these videos are from the GameCube version.

Asilynne
27th April 2010, 10:04 AM
UbspTgGbfu4

I used the play this game all the time as a kid, and while the intro isnt as scary as some things (surprisingly it didnt really scare me even though it looks like it should o.o) Theres a part where you go to this town that has a curse where people hardly go out of their houses, and if you wander around at night just out of nowhere a vampire will float down from above and start hissing and attacking you, scared the shit outta me! Also there are certain rooms you go in where you hear this creepy, non-distinct whispering that always weirded me out. Sure the graphics suck compaired to now but I couldnt play that damn game in the dark as a kid XD

The_Missing_Link
27th April 2010, 01:56 PM
This motherfucker from Zelda here:

fhTJYa3Cwuw

Also, the ReDead/zombies that used to attack you in Ocarina of Time.

When I was younger, I was so freaked out about having to do the Shadow Temple that I had my sister do it for me. It's been about 10 years and I still haven't beaten the game. I've restarted plenty of times and am currently doing the Forest Temple but it's been a few months since I've touched my N64 (more out of not wanting to play than anything)

classy_cat18
27th April 2010, 04:19 PM
That nightmare in the beginning of the Little Nemo movie. Don't judge me; I was seven years old and afraid of falling!

In The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, there was the huge cyclone. You wouldn't even see it until you entered one of the two squares that it lurked, even if you were one square away! Then it could pop up right in front of you. I hated that thing.

And the Pokemon Champion in the fourth generation. Garchomp...took down strongest Pokemon...can't breathe...*collapses*

Katie
27th April 2010, 10:22 PM
Oh god Little Nemo was terrifying, when the black crud was trying to ... escape ... from ...something? I don't remember it, but I do remember hating that movie, yet watching it pretty frequently. Same with the Brave Little Toaster - that fire/fireman clown scene was just godawful.

As far as video games, I don't remember anything truly scaring me, but when I played Doom2 and got to any level with those guys who were like, bipedal goats wearing pants who threw green fireballs, I would just run around the level hiding. Sometimes with a 7-year-old-girl "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" as I ran by shooting them. Heh.
Oh and the noise the arachnotrons made!

MToolen
28th April 2010, 08:20 AM
Gosh, the whole experince of Ocarina of Time had its fair share. Besides the enemies mentioned here, I had scary metaphysical scenarios in my head whenever the zoom malfunctioned and you could see past the texture map into the "abyss of sky" below. Thoughts like, "what's under MY ground? What if I fall under the ground, will I fall forever? How would that be like?"

In a less deep way, the yeti thing in A Goofy Movie scared me so much in theaters that I had to be taken home by my mom.

The shopkeeper in Link's Awakening (who, y'know, kills you with lightning to sinister music if you stole something and had the cajones to come back) always gave me a shock, too.

The dianogas in Dark Forces were probably the reason I discovered cheat codes. I really didn't like them at all.

And, to round it all out, the terrible bitmaps of Moe, Larry, and Curly from the NES Three Stooges game (and the freaky midi track in the intro) also freaked me out for years.

Magmar
28th April 2010, 09:33 AM
My beloved neighbour Swedish voice actors ruined this episode for me. Sailor Moon kept yelling 'Mercury!' when it was Mars who was killed. Well at least the ep in question was shown here in Finland.

HAAAA! Goes to show you how much Sailor Moon really cared about Mars after all:keke:

http://beyondrace.com/images/stories/PeeWeeHerman.jpg

Maybe I have good molester spidey senses, but even as a small child, I was petrified of Pee Wee Herman. I STILL am. One year I got Pee Wee's Christmas special from some friends for Christmas as a joke (it was $1 at the dollar store), and I actually almost had a panic attack because I hadn't seen him in so long, and I just remembered how utterly mortified I was every time I saw that face on TV.

I FUCKING HATE PEE WEE HERMAN.
Nevertheless I can look at pictures of him now and not freak out, but I still hate him.

Heald
28th April 2010, 10:09 AM
Speaking of Peewee Herman:

JR0o0rQsTkw

Blademaster
28th April 2010, 01:30 PM
Wow, Robot Chicken has really gone downhill... :(

Master Rudy
1st May 2010, 12:00 AM
http://beyondrace.com/images/stories/PeeWeeHerman.jpg

Ah....Paul Reubens. Caught jacking off in a XXX movie theater in 1991 (hence why Pee-Wee was nowhere to be seen for years since he was considered a positive role model for kids)

To this day I think his death in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie was one of the funniest parts of the movie. Has some of the best lines too such as when he got his arm ripped off:

"You ruined my jacket......kill him alot!" :lol:

QCOzKufIIzs

Andrew
1st May 2010, 01:10 AM
03668oTEoIQ

-xPYHygck6o

HxkzCre3XJY

Crystal Mew
1st May 2010, 12:09 PM
That would be home alone for nintendo....you have to set traps for those 2 guys and hide in the house and hope they don't catch you. you only have to play for 20 minutes to win, but I could never win :(

and I always screamed when they found me.

oh and goldeneye for n64 ALWAYS scared me...