PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon, What Happened To You?

shazza
8th May 2010, 06:42 AM
:(

It6xj40UVRM

Dark Scizor
8th May 2010, 06:53 AM
Just sounds like nostalgia got the better of him. It's pretty standard with people who were around for the fad and stopped playing soon after that, only to find out years later that the series has blown up even more.

New ones aren't as fun because it's the same game with a few additions every generation. If you were to play one of the newer games having no previous experience with Pokémon and proceeded to play RBY, you'd realise that they're a crock of shit by today's standards.

shazza
8th May 2010, 07:10 AM
You can argue the subjectiveness behind nostalgia all day, but it's a powerful emotion that any logic behind it cannot defeat.

Mr. Brightside
8th May 2010, 08:07 AM
Wow, talk about drama. At least he's a decent singer.

lol at Paper Towns. I haven't read that yet. Why he has two copies...? XDD

Drago
8th May 2010, 08:59 AM
Made me feel all warm and tingly. The memories of my childhood are kind of like a bath; I'd love to stay there, but it just grows colder and colder, and eventually I'll have to move on...

Telume
8th May 2010, 12:08 PM
I kind of agree with it to a point... I mean, RBY had this simplicity which you can't beat. Now it's just too much about competitive, you can't enjoy the game like you used to, not to mention the music for the most part sucks, yeah there's HGSS but the fact of the matter is that it's just a remake.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
8th May 2010, 01:47 PM
I never felt this kind of nostalgia when it comes to Pokémon, most likely cause I never stopped playing it fully. Even when I didn't train Pokémon anymore (which was for years actually) I still got all the new Pokémon games and played through them - simply because Pokémon stands for quality gaming in my book.

But I can relate to the song when it comes to other games ... like EverQuest. I often think of the way it was 10 years ago.

Oslo
8th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Aha, was considering posting this here weeks ago. Alex Day is very talented. And very pretty. That is my thoughtful contribution to this discussion. :)

abunaidesu
8th May 2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.memm.de/gameselect/pics/gbl-pikachu.jpg

Blademaster
8th May 2010, 08:06 PM
;_;

Fuck you for posting this. :cry:

Andrew
9th May 2010, 07:09 AM
Wow, he is super-cute!

Mr. Brightside
9th May 2010, 08:38 AM
Aha, was considering posting this here weeks ago. Alex Day is very talented. And very pretty. That is my thoughtful contribution to this discussion. :)

Pretty & Beautiful=Women
Handsome=Men

Anyway i partially agree with him. I didn't have a problem when the second gen came out, i was very excited actually but when the third came out i was like MOOOOOOOORE?! And then the kinda retarded gen IV came but anyway...

The reason i can't feel the same nostalgia is that although i watched the show from the very beginning, my first game was Gold, so i never experienced the first games and that's why Gold will always be my favourite Pokemon game.

@abunaidesu: I remember this. There was also a Selebi GBA. Oh yeah and that N64 Pikachu edition. I so wanted that!

Jeff
9th May 2010, 09:20 AM
Pretty when talking about a man can also mean the same thing as "pretty boy".

Oh, and Pikachu GBC FTW. You know, the one that came with Yellow and also had Togepi on it. Thanks to that, me and my brothers spent hours trying to figure out how to get Togepi on Yellow. Yeah, good times.

Oslo
9th May 2010, 05:55 PM
Actually, I think it's increasingly in vogue to refer to guys as "pretty". You see the word used as such in conversation or on TV more than you might have even a few years ago. "Handsome" carries a stately connotation, which I do not think Alex Day really lives up to.

Rossymore
10th May 2010, 11:11 AM
Such a shame that the way Pokemon is now. I really like the first two generations. The remake of R/B wasn't very good. Hg/Ss are nice but they just crammed a shit load of stuff into one game.

The Pokedex was so much easier to complete and I didn't have to worry about competitive battling (cos I just fail at that)

Even so, Pokemon has improved in places. I just like it when the antagonists are ruthless and sinister.

Unbraced
10th May 2010, 02:14 PM
I almost cry every time I see this, but then I realize how much he looks like Robert Pattinson.

Starry Might
14th May 2010, 09:29 AM
I don't wanna start anything, but I didn't watch this...nor do I have any interest in doing so, 'cause I H-A-T-E this kind of over-the-top and neophobic nostalgia in general, which I'm also seeing in some of the posts here. :notfunny: (No offense, please!)

For the record, I think the 4th Gen has the best gameplay system so far, but Johto is my favorite region, so I'm very happy that "HeartGold/SoulSilver" exist! (EDIT: That said, I don't hate any of the "Pokemon" games I've played, actually.)

Just. Sayin'. My. Opinion.

*STARRY MIGHT USED PROTECT!*

Jeff
14th May 2010, 10:05 AM
NOSTALGITS used FLAMETHROWER!

I agree actually. I really get sick of all the people saying Gen 4 pokemon are "ugly" without giving any reason other than "'cause they look stupid". My favorite was a post by someone at Bulbagarden saying that Magmortar is a "fat Magmar", Electivire is a "fat Electabuzz", Rhyperior is a "fat Rhydon", and yeah, you get the picture.

In my opinion, Electabuzz was fairly forgettable, but Electivire is one of my favorite Pokemon. Of course, that's not true of all new Pokemon. I'm not a huge fan of Magmortar for example, but at least I don't see it as the scum of the Pokemon world compared to the greatness that is Magmar as many fans who can't seem to take off their nostalgia goggles do.

Oh and by the way, Clefable = fat Clefairy, just saying.

Telume
14th May 2010, 11:06 AM
I don't wanna start anything, but I didn't watch this...nor do I have any interest in doing so, 'cause I H-A-T-E this kind of over-the-top and neophobic nostalgia in general, which I'm also seeing in some of the posts here. :notfunny: (No offense, please!)

For the record, I think the 4th Gen has the best gameplay system so far, but Johto is my favorite region, so I'm very happy that "HeartGold/SoulSilver" exist! (EDIT: That said, I don't hate any of the "Pokemon" games I've played, actually.)

Just. Sayin'. My. Opinion.

*STARRY MIGHT USED PROTECT!*

*ignore protect*

How is the gameplay better? There's no real MAJOR difference from Gen III. Music still sucks, not counting HG/SS they did a damn good job with the HG/SS soundtrack but, lets face it HG/SS is just a remake it can't run miracles by itself.

I agree actually. I really get sick of all the people saying Gen 4 pokemon are "ugly" without giving any reason other than "'cause they look stupid". My favorite was a post by someone at Bulbagarden saying that Magmortar is a "fat Magmar", Electivire is a "fat Electabuzz", Rhyperior is a "fat Rhydon", and yeah, you get the picture.

In my opinion, Electabuzz was fairly forgettable, but Electivire is one of my favorite Pokemon. Of course, that's not true of all new Pokemon. I'm not a huge fan of Magmortar for example, but at least I don't see it as the scum of the Pokemon world compared to the greatness that is Magmar as many fans who can't seem to take off their nostalgia goggles do.

As far as the pokemon for Gen IV go, some of them look cool, Electivire's not one of them as it looks like a damn pedophile and as for Magmortar.... they could've done a bit better, it looks like a NetNavi from Megaman. I'm not saying they're BAD POKEMON, I just think they could've done better designing them, doesn't stop me from using them though their stats are monstrous. The only complaint really is the dramatic speed drop and Motor Drive is a bit difficult to predict and use effectively.

Blademaster
14th May 2010, 12:04 PM
As far as the pokemon for Gen IV go, some of them look cool, Electivire's not one of them as it looks like a damn pedophile

What the fuck kind of argument is that? How can an ANIMAL look like a "pedophile?" I can understand calling a TRAINER that, but a fucking electric TIGER!?

I can respect not liking how a specific Pokemon looks, but that is one fucking stupid reason for it.

Starry Might
14th May 2010, 12:45 PM

LOL, "fat ".

Thanks for backing me up, Jeff. :D

*ignore protect*

How is the gameplay better? There's no real MAJOR difference from Gen III. Music still sucks, not counting HG/SS they did a damn good job with the HG/SS soundtrack but, lets face it HG/SS is just a remake it can't run miracles by itself.
Hmm, well, I guess I [i]personally see it as the ultimate refinement of the franchise's gameplay, and I also like the change in how Physical/Special attacks work.

Oh, and I also think that "HG/SS" refined it even further because of the Berry Pots item (no more having to pick and watch over the most convenient patch of soil on the overworld to plant Berries in!) and that your Pokemon can walk behind you (almost) all the time, a la "Yellow". I just wish it had the VS Seeker from "FR/LG" and "D/P/PT".

Oh, and I like "Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's" music...especially the Team Galactic grunt/admin themes. :dance: (There's some alright stuff in Gen 3, too, BTW.)

Anyhow, I don't normally post in topics like this, so I think I'll stop now. :)

Telume
14th May 2010, 01:25 PM
LOL, "fat ".

Thanks for backing me up, Jeff. :D

Hmm, well, I guess I [I]personally see it as the ultimate refinement of the franchise's gameplay, and I also like the change in how Physical/Special attacks work.

Oh, and I also think that "HG/SS" refined it even further because of the Berry Pots item (no more having to pick and watch over the most convenient patch of soil on the overworld to plant Berries in!) and that your Pokemon can walk behind you (almost) all the time, a la "Yellow". I just wish it had the VS Seeker from "FR/LG" and "D/P/PT".

Oh, and I like "Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's" music...especially the Team Galactic grunt/admin themes. :dance: (There's some alright stuff in Gen 3, too, BTW.)

Anyhow, I don't normally post in topics like this, so I think I'll stop now. :)

Out of Gen III I only liked the fact that the Elite Four got their own theme and a couple of the battle themes. I wasn't really a huge fan of the background music, the french horn gets QUITE annoying after a while and it honestly made cringe after a while.

The Physical/Special split was the only real change between Gen III and IV, the other stuff is basically aesthetics.

As far as the music's concerned, there's only 3 good themes in Gen IV and again I'm not counting HG/SS because while the remakes are part of Gen IV they're not really truly part of the generation, they're just games updated to the standards of the generation.

1.) Frontier Brain theme.
2.) Battle theme for Galactic Grunts
3.) Battle them for Galactic Admins.

Other than that there's really no others. The Battle them for Cynthia was okay but, I miss the 'oomph' the other champion's themes used to have.

The music didn't really speak to me. That's just my opinion though, and that's me having an ear for music (6+ years of playing Saxophone + 2 years of playing Guitar gives you an ear for music.)

Little_Pikachu
19th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Aww, that was quite sad. I remember holding down the B button too ^^
RBY were so simple and fun, then they added a few hundred more pokemon and things like items, natures, new types, breeding, contests... I just lost track.

Blademaster
19th May 2010, 09:26 PM
I STILL hold down the B button. It's just instinctive after so many years.

Rossymore
20th May 2010, 11:28 AM
I also hold down the B Button...but it's just for the Running Shoes.