PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Do you go to church?

Link
15th May 2010, 04:15 PM
I do.

RedStarWarrior
15th May 2010, 04:19 PM
I used to...just haven't had time or motivation to do so lately.

Jeff
15th May 2010, 04:25 PM
Oh dang is is Sunday?

Oh, nevermind. Yeah, sometimes. I'm not exactly the best of Catholics.

Edit: Oh, and PCG is this way (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23).

Asilynne
15th May 2010, 04:56 PM
Ive been to a church of almost every denomination of christianity I can think of, and now I dont go to church, and I just consider myself a christian and not any sort of denomination of one. I dont really like going to church because its amazing how judgemental people can be when they profess to follow the ways of God. People looked down on my dad for wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and looked down on my sister for her style of dress as well. God doesnt care what you wear, and its hypocritical for those people to judge based on looks when the teachings they are supposed to be learning about say not to.
But what finally made me not go to church anymore was when the pastor stood up front before the sermon and spent a good 15 mins discussing the church budget...Taking time out of what should be sharing the word of God to discuss money is simply not cool for me.

So I believe in God, I pray, but I dont go to church because I dont need to :P

Link
15th May 2010, 05:11 PM
Jeff, thanks. can someone move this to PCG?

kthnx

abunaidesu
15th May 2010, 06:44 PM
I used to go to church as a child, but then I grew up and became a nihilistic bastard.

DivineAll
15th May 2010, 07:25 PM
I used to go to church as a child, but then I grew up and became a nihilistic bastard.

What they said, except with a lot less nihilism because I still do believe in a higher power because there are some things that just can't be explained... that and whatever higher power out there likes screwing with me, IMO.

shazza
15th May 2010, 08:37 PM
I do not. I hold Agnostic and Pantheistic view points. I also argue that if there is a higher power, it is not any of the religions or Gods mans imagination has conjured up!

Blademaster
15th May 2010, 09:26 PM
I do not. I hold Agnostic and Pantheistic view points. I also argue that if there is a higher power, it is not any of the religions or Gods mans imagination has conjured up!

Holy shit this to a fucking T...

abunaidesu
15th May 2010, 09:43 PM
once again shazza's avatar augments his post quality lol

shazza
15th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Holy shit this to a fucking T...

Good stuff, brother!

once again shazza's avatar augments his post quality lol

Haha!

abunaidesu
15th May 2010, 11:26 PM
i meant signature

my bad

but you already knew that

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th May 2010, 01:41 AM
I haven't been to a church for well over ten years, maybe even fifteen by now.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th May 2010, 03:30 AM
Going to church has sometimes mental effects on me. But I did visit one last year. And most of you knew what happened.

I call myself sceptic. I was Christian first, bnut reading Mika Waltari's Sinuhe Egyptian when I was 11 made me Polytheistic. Next, I tried to attain my own philosophy, and for a decade now, I have just been wandering around inside my head, not knowing which religion to believe in.

Lady Vulpix
17th May 2010, 01:16 PM
I'm Jewish, so I wouldn't. I used to go to a synagogue back when I was 11 and 12, but then I stopped going.

The_Missing_Link
17th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Only went to temple for Yom Kippur and maybe Rosh Hashanah but that was only during high school and I was forced to go. Once I started attending college, all that went out the window

I'm pretty much agnostic

Zak
17th May 2010, 01:45 PM
I used to go to temple all the time as a kid, but it already started going downhill in middle school. Then in high school I started to restrict it to holidays alone, that being the holidays I would want to be there for.
But now in college it a no-go. I occasionally go to the Hillel house for dinner on occasion because I have friends there, but never really to services. I practically never go to temple anymore now since all the main Jewish holidays are when I'm at school and not during the summer. But what the heck, I still manage to keep in the spirit without going to temple.

Katie
17th May 2010, 01:49 PM
Born Catholic, toyed with nondenominational Christian through middle school and freshman year of high school. Now 100% atheist, and I do not go to church except rare occasions when family wants me to come along.

I do not have a problem with religion, and support the countless charities "my" church does - weekly blood drives (in times of disaster or not), donations to buy Christmas presents for struggling single mothers to give to their kids, and just a general welcoming social circle for the community.

I just have no need to explain nature's mysteries with an all powerful invisible being who can do anything therefor explaining everything. Science is cool enough on its own. Also I take it personally when creationists plug their ears and exclaim that my entire field (geology/paleo) is all lies and devil's work.

Oslo
17th May 2010, 10:50 PM
Was raised Presbyterian, but I generally tend toward the atheistic side of things now. As a result, my church attendance has, uh, suffered a noticeable decline. I've gone twice in the past two years, but only to watch my dad delivering the sermons... because I'm just a swell son like that.

Link
18th May 2010, 12:53 PM
Born Catholic, toyed with nondenominational Christian through middle school and freshman year of high school. Now 100% atheist, and I do not go to church except rare occasions when family wants me to come along.

I do not have a problem with religion, and support the countless charities "my" church does - weekly blood drives (in times of disaster or not), donations to buy Christmas presents for struggling single mothers to give to their kids, and just a general welcoming social circle for the community.

I just have no need to explain nature's mysteries with an all powerful invisible being who can do anything therefor explaining everything. Science is cool enough on its own. Also I take it personally when creationists plug their ears and exclaim that my entire field (geology/paleo) is all lies and devil's work.

Creationists have said that your field in which you work is lies and the devil's work? Who has said that?

Katie
18th May 2010, 05:26 PM
These guys. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism)

Blademaster
18th May 2010, 05:38 PM
I love religions that teach tolerance and understanding of one another's viewpoints and beliefs like that- OH WAIT...

Heald
18th May 2010, 06:07 PM
I don't like organised religion so no.

Link
19th May 2010, 10:24 AM
These guys. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism)

Ah. thanks.

homeofmew
20th May 2010, 04:56 PM
it depends I haven't gone as much as i used to.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st May 2010, 08:51 AM
No. I'm not against it, by far, nor am I an atheist or anything, but I'm going with Asilynne on this.

People use religion for to many crappy reasons, and most all, I hate the judgement of others.