PDA

View Full Version : The Edited Slap

Hanada Tattsu
14th April 2003, 11:45 AM
Everyone (well, almost everyone) knows that in the first and third episodes of the series, Misty slaps Ash in the Japanese version, but it is edited out. This is kinda stupid, as in the second episode, Misty slaps Ash again, and the slap is there intact in the dub.

Just wanted to clear this up.

pokefreak04
14th April 2003, 04:23 PM
Misty slapped Ash in Pokemon Emergency? I dont remember Ash getting slapped.....

Hanada Tattsu
14th April 2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by pokefreak04
Misty slapped Ash in Pokemon Emergency? I dont remember Ash getting slapped.....

Yeah, when Misty first enters the Pokemon Center, and she trips and falls down, Ash offers to help her up, but Misty slaps him in return.

PAK Man
14th April 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Yeah, when Misty first enters the Pokemon Center, and she trips and falls down, Ash offers to help her up, but Misty slaps him in return.

Actually, she slapped Ash in Episode #1 (when Misty asked if Pikachu was alright and Ash said that he was, Misty slapped him in the Japanese version) and Episode #3 (right after Ash captured Pidgeotto and said he was the best trainer, Misty slapped him because he put Caterpie in such danger. She also hit Brock over the head with a log in The School of Hard Knocks, which was also cut out.

Hanada Tattsu
14th April 2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by PAK Man
Actually, she slapped Ash in Episode #1 (when Misty asked if Pikachu was alright and Ash said that he was, Misty slapped him in the Japanese version) and Episode #3 (right after Ash captured Pidgeotto and said he was the best trainer, Misty slapped him because he put Caterpie in such danger. She also hit Brock over the head with a log in The School of Hard Knocks, which was also cut out.

I know, I have all three of those episodes in Japanese.

Plus, I'm almost sure that she slapped him in the second episode, I watched it this afternoon while I was going through my collection of eppies.

Animelee
15th April 2003, 12:01 AM
I could put up a clip if anyone's interested...?

Hanada Tattsu
15th April 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru
I could put up a clip if anyone's interested...?

You could if you wanted, I was just making sure that 4 Kids forgot to cut this slap out while they made sure to cut the other ones out in Episodes 1 and 3.

Animelee
15th April 2003, 10:38 AM
In one of the dubbed episodes, you could hear like, half a second of a slap, even after they still edited the slap.

Hanada Tattsu
15th April 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru
In one of the dubbed episodes, you could hear like, half a second of a slap, even after they still edited the slap.

Yeah, that's in the episode where Ash catches his first Pokemon, a Caterpie.

They left Ash's cheek red in the film comic as well.

Light_Togetic
15th April 2003, 11:34 AM
That's so dumb... -_- There are plenty of cartoons in which people get slapped. And, it's just a slap... it's not like she's punching his face in with blood spewing everywhere. The least they could have done was to just cover the scene with some stars or something.

Entropy
16th April 2003, 02:09 PM
No one has screen captures? I'd like to see them. I think 4Kids is too cautious when it comes to things like that.

Hanada Tattsu
16th April 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Light_Togetic
That's so dumb... -_- There are plenty of cartoons in which people get slapped. And, it's just a slap... it's not like she's punching his face in with blood spewing everywhere. The least they could have done was to just cover the scene with some stars or something.

Tell me about it. It's just a slap.

I do however, have a hypothesis to why the slap was cut. Pokemon had just started, and 4Kids wanted to be very cautious with the episodes. So they cut the slaps out in Episode 1 and Episode 3. However, if the same thing occurs in Episode 2, which is an episode earlier than Episode 3, why didn't 4Kids cut that out?

My guess is that the other two slaps were a close up, and this was kinda far off in the scene.

Originally posted by Entropy
No one has screen captures? I'd like to see them. I think 4Kids is too cautious when it comes to things like that.

I would if I could. I have no idea how to make screen captures, so I'll leave that to Murg, Joe, Shigeru, or Zak to do, since they might have the Japanese episode on tape like me.

Too Cool Scyther
19th April 2003, 02:42 AM
Misty must of had abusive parents :yes:

Gravy
21st April 2003, 01:14 PM
I dunno about this. 4kids are usually quite iffy about this stuff and it doesn't surprise me that they covered up the slaps in episodes 1 and 3(my favourite episode). I guess a slap to the face is considered more 'violent'. In episode 2, Kasumi doesn't exactly slap Satoshi in the face, she just sorta slaps his hand aside. I guess 4kids didn't consider it as such a big deal.