PDA

View Full Version : WPM may be heading to jail!

Roy Karrde
10th July 2010, 10:49 AM
"PokéBeach webmaster Water Pokémon Master has leaked multiple images from Movie 13 on his website, outraging Japanese fans who have reported him to law enforcement as well as Nintendo and Pokémon officials for breaking a strict Japanese piracy law.

Currently living in Japan, the Pokémon enthusiast allegedly brought a recording device into a movie theater airing the newest Pokémon movie, Ruler of Illusions: Zoroark and took pictures during advertisements in the film, including one for Black and White in the beginning of the movie. 2ch's users begun reporting him to authorities for illegal behavior and are calling to others to do so as well. "

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Japanese_fans_outraged_at_Pok%C3%A9Beach_theater_l eak

Anyone know if this is the same, WPM from TPM?

Knight of Time
10th July 2010, 10:55 AM
If it is him, hoo boy, I recall a couple of his lows, but this one really takes the cake.

I just hope it isn't him, though. Either way, when I hear of piracy, I find it outrageous, right there on the spot. People ought to know better, whether it's the movie world or the video game world.

shazza
10th July 2010, 10:58 AM
It definitely is the same Water Pokemon Master.
:lol:

Blademaster
10th July 2010, 11:21 AM
Dumb fuck. He didn't actually upload that shit to HIS SITE, did he?

Heald
10th July 2010, 11:34 AM
LOL what a dick.

And yes it is the same.

Jeff
10th July 2010, 11:39 AM
The very same. He left TPM after his site took off.

Dumb fuck. He didn't actually upload that shit to HIS SITE, did he?

Yes.

Heald
10th July 2010, 11:43 AM
The very same. He left TPM after his site took off.
And nothing of value was lost.

Knight of Time
10th July 2010, 12:00 PM
Well, I hope he learns a hard lesson from all this, pirating is very uncool.

'goes to check the link one last time'

Great, they deleted it already... :rolleyes:

Telume
10th July 2010, 12:14 PM
LOL, PokeBeach is prolly gonna get shut down/raided

abunaidesu
10th July 2010, 08:19 PM
dont mess with the japs

http://community.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&p=320140&sid=f8a5c014855f75413c31309d6dbcafe4

woz
10th July 2010, 08:27 PM
Currently living in Japan

lmao

abunaidesu
10th July 2010, 08:38 PM
my favorite part is when he pulls out the jealousy card

the fact that he is an american living in another country does not exempt him from the law. perusing recording devices in movie theaters is illegal even in the states, so why does he think he can get away with it in japan? the guy purposely did something illegal and is fruitlessly attempting to justify it by proclaiming it was "for the fans".

no one gives a shit and asked you to do it, wpm. i hope you get deported.

kainashi
10th July 2010, 10:08 PM

the fact that he is an american living in another country does not exempt him from the law. perusing recording devices in movie theaters is illegal even in the states, so why does he think he can get away with it in japan? the guy purposely did something illegal and is fruitlessly attempting to justify it by proclaiming it was "for the fans".

no one gives a shit and asked you to do it, wpm. i hope you get deported.we don't want him back. :(

Telume
10th July 2010, 10:12 PM
we don't want him back. :(

^ Truth :(

Drago
10th July 2010, 11:50 PM
And to think, there was a time when people defended him. Was a wanker, is a wanker, will always be a wanker - and I hope this is the last we hear of him. Seriously, he damages the good image of Blastoise almost irreparably.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th July 2010, 01:11 AM
So great. Ten years in prison?!?

Bulbagarden has condemned this terroristic act.

Telume
11th July 2010, 05:45 AM
Is he going to Jail? Has it been confirmed yet?

Andrew
11th July 2010, 06:10 AM
Here's hoping he is a good prison bride.

abunaidesu
11th July 2010, 03:50 PM
And to think, there was a time when people defended him. Was a wanker, is a wanker, will always be a wanker - and I hope this is the last we hear of him. Seriously, he damages the good image of Blastoise almost irreparably.

From what I remember everyone always hated him.

Zak
11th July 2010, 04:40 PM

no one gives a shit and asked you to do it, wpm. i hope you get deported.

He is probably basing that on the fact that 1000 people get away with it every day, like a certain other site. Sites that could be reported and taken down in a day. Like all those torrented movies released the day after they're out.

But of course he doesn't take common sense into account in terms of how to go about "leaking" it. Posting it on the front page of a known, let alone infamous Pokemon site is just suicide. Serebii and Bulbagarden have never done anything of the sort. There are actually plenty of ways WPM could have leaked the stuff and gotten away with it, but to post on your own semi-known website saying "hay guys i just recorded these images in the theater so i have it first", when it's a known site that's talked about alot, that's just dumb. But of course, this is WPM we're talking about, so I'm not that surprised.
It's funny when he compares himself to them, if Serebii did this (like WPM alleges), it would be taken down in a day. Also, releasing episodes that air on Japanese television is different than bringing a camera into a theater.

This kind of reminds me of a certain Bulbagarden ex-mod from many many years ago (he might still be there, not sure, but I won't say his name) from the time that I used to write episode guides, who was from Okinawa and used to write episode guides way before then, before they were so easy to find online. And where he lived was always about five episodes behind the rest of Japan, so once they started appearing online, a bunch of people (including myself) would get them and write episode guides. Of course, he was really arrogant and jealous about the whole situation because it rendered him useless, and he went on a pretty laughable "anti-piracy crusade", and even went as far as enforcing a humorous rule on that site, stating that in order to write episode guides, you had to "prove you were in Japan", like with hardcore photographic evidence. I swear I'm not even kidding.
Of course no one really noticed that rule for a few months (not even the webmaster) except for other people who wrote guides, but once he caught wind of it, even he realized that he was a tool and agreed there was nothing wrong with what we were doing.

Of course, WPM can't use the same argument, for obvious reasons.

Might I also add that with Pokemon movies, Serebii and other websites WPM is probably referring to, never released pictures until after the DVD was out. So his argument fails.

Blademaster
11th July 2010, 05:41 PM
I didn't hate him, but that's probably because we only ever spoke like once...

Yes.

Oh for fuck's sake, really? Not that I condone what he did, but if he had any fucking brains... He could have just anonymously posted that shit on 4chan, waited ten minutes, screencapped the thread, and THEN uploaded it to his site. At least TRY and cover your stupid ass, man...

Crystal Mew
11th July 2010, 05:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA...what an idiot!

none of you are actually surprised at his stupidity are you?

" If anyone should pay a fine, it should be Pokemon and Nintendo to its loyal webmasters who have spent years of their time and money promoting their products. After all, the only reason I came to Japan (spending well over $8,000 out of my own pocket) was to do coverage of the fifth generation for you all."

lmao. whatever kid. when you break the law, authorities dont care about that kind of shit

Blademaster
11th July 2010, 05:49 PM
I am.

Again, didn't know him. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Crystal Mew
11th July 2010, 05:56 PM
oh, well most of us know him because he used to come into ummmm all the time, and he was an f-ing idiot. still is apparently

Zak
11th July 2010, 06:23 PM
I didn't hate him, but that's probably because we only ever spoke like once...

Oh for fuck's sake, really? Not that I condone what he did, but if he had any fucking brains... He could have just anonymously posted that shit on 4chan, waited ten minutes, screencapped the thread, and THEN uploaded it to his site. At least TRY and cover your stupid ass, man...

Wow, even Blademaster would know better. This actually is one of the "ways to get away with it" that I was thinking of. But... seriously... 4chan?

"Hello everyone. Today I have some pictures from the new movie, that I found on 4CHAN!"

Yeah... pick a better site. Heh.

Seriously though, knowing WPM, I think he actually wanted people to know he did it, because he felt like he'd gain some kind of internet hero status in the Pokemon world if everyone knew that the pictures were provided by his royal WPMness.

Heald
11th July 2010, 06:29 PM
WPM has been stealing pictures off other websites, putting his watermark on them and claiming he found them first for years. Remember the Shaymin flying-forme fakes that he and Serebii just as quickly both claimed to have found first and then when the obviously fake fakes were proven to be fake they both just as quickly removed the articles emblazoned with EXCLUSIVE and I FOUND THIS FIRST and replaced them with articles saying 'There are fakes of flying Shaymin going around and I proved they were fakes first'.*

They're nearly both as bad as each other.

* - oh, and guess where the original fake was from?
4chan.

Zak
12th July 2010, 02:41 AM
Well, the Bulbapedia article appears to have been deleted. As have a lot of topics on other sites discussing the incident. I guess the issue has been resolved or something... seems like he edited the post on the site.

SerebiiNet
12th July 2010, 04:33 AM
WPM has been stealing pictures off other websites, putting his watermark on them and claiming he found them first for years. Remember the Shaymin flying-forme fakes that he and Serebii just as quickly both claimed to have found first and then when the obviously fake fakes were proven to be fake they both just as quickly removed the articles emblazoned with EXCLUSIVE and I FOUND THIS FIRST and replaced them with articles saying 'There are fakes of flying Shaymin going around and I proved they were fakes first'.*

They're nearly both as bad as each other.

* - oh, and guess where the original fake was from?
4chan.

erm, I never did that. I held off for over a day on posting it. I only posted it because I was getting sick of the e-mails and in that post I immediately stated it was likely fake and had several tags notifying people of this within the update.

Why do people keep thinking I posted it as true ¬¬

Andrew
12th July 2010, 05:46 AM
Hay Joe. How's your intarwebs thing going?

Heald
12th July 2010, 07:27 AM
In my defence Joe I saw a screenshot of your front-page (of which the URL no longer seems to direct to the article, indicating the page in question has been deleted) that seemed to suggest as such. Whether that was shopped or not I can't say. I'll have to take your word for it.

Blademaster
12th July 2010, 12:30 PM
CeilingSerebiiJoe is watching us. :o

Heald
12th July 2010, 02:24 PM
There was a time when we used pseudonyms for Serebii.net because he'd use the search function to find threads with us talking about him. That time has passed. Although that still doesn't stop him zoning in on threads that mention him anyway (as in this case).

Katie
13th July 2010, 11:29 AM
It's Christmas in July =D

Drago
14th July 2010, 01:36 AM
12th July 2010, 9:29 AM... Heald says negative thing about Serebii.
12th July 2010, 7.33 PM... Serebii rebuttal.

Damn, Big Green Brother operates fast. :o
I'm one to talk, though. I have a giddy celebration every time someone mentions Minty Thrill somewhere. :D

RedStarWarrior
14th July 2010, 10:35 PM
He posted photos of advertisements. You know what those are, right? Those are those things that companies pay millions of dollars to get as many people to see as possible. I don't see how him posting them can hurt the companies.

Roy Karrde
14th July 2010, 10:58 PM
He posted photos of advertisements. You know what those are, right? Those are those things that companies pay millions of dollars to get as many people to see as possible. I don't see how him posting them can hurt the companies.

Because they are posting them at the movie, they want people to come in and see the movie to see the advertisements. Its why like the first Animatrix short was packed with the uber crappy movie The Dreamcatcher.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th July 2010, 05:50 AM
Is he going to Jail? Has it been confirmed yet?

I was just referring to the forum link abunaidesu posted. There it said:

"It is not presently known if Water Pokémon Master will be prosecuted by authorities. The Japanese legal system relies on confessions, which WPM has already done by admitting it on his website. If arrested and in light of the confession, WPM would be at least deported, if not smacked with the full penalty of up to ten years in prison and a fine of Ą1,000,000 (US$11,292)."

Zak
15th July 2010, 09:23 AM

This. Finally someone on TPM has the balls to admit that the situation is a bit absurd when taking a little insight on the situation. Nearly everyone else here (with the exception of kiyone and maybe one or two more people) just reads it as the two words "WPM" and "jail".

But anyway I partly agree on that. Had he taken some pictures from the feature film itself (which I initially thought he did and probably half this thread does), that would probably be more prosecutable because it's like stealing money from the producers. But only two pictures, from BW ads? I dunno, as much as I don't like WPM, I don't know if they can get him for this.

Then again, even if he did put the camera away after the ads, it's still illegal to bring one in. If someone brought a little bomb onto an airplane, and that same person safely got rid of it by defusing it five minutes into the flight and saved everyone, would he still be in trouble or branded a terrorist? Probably.

Katie
15th July 2010, 10:57 AM
Then again, even if he did put the camera away after the ads, it's still illegal to bring one in. If someone brought a little bomb onto an airplane, and that same person safely got rid of it by defusing it five minutes into the flight and saved everyone, would he still be in trouble or branded a terrorist? Probably.
Ahaha, is that really the best comparison you can think of?

P.S. Hang on, there are THIRTEEN Pokemon movies?! Is Pokemon now Japan's Land Before Time? Do people actually still watch them? How many Pokemon are there now? I feel like I just got slapped. So old :(

Magmar
15th July 2010, 12:18 PM
HAaaaaaaaaa, this is karma.

Zak
15th July 2010, 03:00 PM
Ahaha, is that really the best comparison you can think of?

Well I was falling asleep when I made that post, but how about this: If someone broke into a huge mansion full of millions of dollars worth of jewelery and electronic equipment, but they only took a couple cookies from the cookie jar and left, should they still get charged for B/E? Yeah, you get the idea.

EDIT: Oh, and Katie, I was equally shocked when I heard there were that many movies. Oddly I actually first found that out on a non-Pokemon site, someone said something about "all 11 of them"... wow.

Crystal Mew
15th July 2010, 11:12 PM
13 pokemon movies? I'm also shocked by this, I stopped watching after 5.

what on earth is even going on in the pokemon world these days?

I thought wpm posted pictures of top secret pokemon?

so lost

kainashi
16th July 2010, 11:32 AM
13 pokemon movies? I'm also shocked by this, I stopped watching after 5.

what on earth is even going on in the pokemon world these days?

I thought wpm posted pictures of top secret pokemon?

so lostheh i stopped watching after 1, nerd. :rolleyes:

Magmar
16th July 2010, 01:11 PM
heh i stopped watching after 1, nerd. :rolleyes:

Hey you nerd. What's pokamon?

kainashi
16th July 2010, 08:11 PM
says the guy with a pokemon name. :rolleyes:

Deadwood_Zen
16th July 2010, 08:29 PM
Better then a Spongebob avatar :p

Zak
16th July 2010, 08:37 PM
says the guy with a pokemon name. :rolleyes:

And another one in his sig...

abunaidesu
16th July 2010, 08:47 PM
Better then a Spongebob avatar :p

yeah but spongebob is consistently funny so what's your point?

Blademaster
16th July 2010, 08:48 PM
So, back on-topic, has WPM actually been heard from by anybody since all this happened? Like, even on his own website? Whether you like the guy or not, being in jail really, REALLY sucks. I don't even wanna think about what Japanese jail would be like, especially for a dumb white boy like him...

RedStarWarrior
17th July 2010, 03:46 PM
So, back on-topic, has WPM actually been heard from by anybody since all this happened? Like, even on his own website? Whether you like the guy or not, being in jail really, REALLY sucks. I don't even wanna think about what Japanese jail would be like, especially for a dumb white boy like him...
He'll have the biggest penis on the cell block.

Wow, I need to learn to separate Misc and Mt. Moon in my head.

Anyway, I think this will blow over.

PancaKe
23rd July 2010, 02:02 AM
roffle

Every time I see a number plate with WPM on it I think of Water Pokemon Master.

Clark
23rd July 2010, 08:24 PM
http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/man-suspected-of-secretly-videotaping-film-at-cinema

wonder if this is the same person? :prod:

RedStarWarrior
23rd July 2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/man-suspected-of-secretly-videotaping-film-at-cinema

wonder if this is the same person? :prod:
Obviously not.

homeofmew
23rd July 2010, 11:33 PM
pokebeach.com is owned by water pokemon master = the wpm that used to come here.

Blademaster
24th July 2010, 02:37 AM
...Thanks for clarifying?

abunaidesu
24th July 2010, 02:43 AM
pokebeach.com is owned by water pokemon master = the wpm that used to come here.

thanks, now i can finally sleep tonight.

Zak
24th July 2010, 06:18 AM
So... on a serious note, in reality I doubt he'll get anything besides possibly having to pay a fine.

Sure it's against the law, and I don't doubt he will be somehow justified for it (if he hasn't already been). I'm not familiar with the Japanese law system, but it'll probably be absurd for someone to be locked up for that, especially if it is their first offense. Except maybe in some of those Arab countries.

Which leads me to wonder if Roy actually believed that upon posting this thread, or if he just wanted to get a rise out of TPM, which "WPM" and "jail" in the same sentence certainly would (and successfully did)?