PDA

View Full Version : Same-sex marriage is now legal in Argentina

Lady Vulpix
15th July 2010, 10:00 AM
I know I'm probably the only Argentinean here, but I think this is worth sharing since it's a historical decision. Yesterday the Senate passed the law that allows same-sex couples to get married and adopt children, with 33 votes in favor, 27 against and 3 abstentions, after a 14-hour-long debate. Argentina is now the first Latin American country where this is allowed.

The article (http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Senado-convirtio-Ley-matrimonio-homosexual_0_298770299.html) with the details is in Spanish, but I'm sure you can find some info in English if you search the web.

Samchu
15th July 2010, 10:31 AM
Yay! I can add Argentina to my list of potential future homes.

Magmar
15th July 2010, 12:20 PM
Hooray! I can imagine that there must be some very happy couples celebrating in Argentina.

Rhode Island still doesn't have it ;[ can you imagine? you can do it anywhere else in new england, but not in this tiny ass state. Not that I want to get married right away, but it would be nice to have the option.

Telume
15th July 2010, 12:44 PM
Wow, that breaks a huge trend in Latin America.

RedStarWarrior
15th July 2010, 04:48 PM
Who's the lucky gal, Gabi?

Blademaster
15th July 2010, 06:09 PM
Lucky?

I mean, it was the first thought that came to my mind as well, but...

shazza
15th July 2010, 09:06 PM
Good stuff. One country at a time.

Deadwood_Zen
15th July 2010, 10:51 PM
Good stuff. One country at a time.
Thats right :]

Lady Vulpix
16th July 2010, 09:39 AM
Who's the lucky gal, Gabi?
You're joking, right?

On second thought, maybe you just don't know me well enough. I can't say I know you very well either. But you've made a rash assumption. I'm single, and looking for a guy. I guess I will be the lucky girl when I find him.

Telume
16th July 2010, 10:22 AM
You're joking, right?

On second thought, maybe you just don't know me well enough. I can't say I know you very well either. But you've made a rash assumption. I'm single, and looking for a guy. I guess I will be the lucky girl when I find him.

I think you missed the joke.

Gavin Luper
16th July 2010, 10:47 AM
Woot. This is awesome news. Go Argentina! :D

Julia Gillard, take note, you useless, fence-sitting bitch.

Lady Vulpix
16th July 2010, 10:59 AM
I think you missed the joke.
My first reaction (as seen on my post) was to think he was joking, but I don't find it funny when someone pretends to be ignorant.

Anyway, let's move on.

Samchu, if you and Shayna decide to come here, it will be a pleasure to meet you in person. :)

Blademaster
16th July 2010, 12:50 PM
My first reaction (as seen on my post) was to think he was joking, but I don't find it funny when someone pretends to be ignorant.

Jeez, SOMEONE is defensive... Alright, alright, you're looking for a guy, we get it-

Samchu, if you and Shayna decide to come here, it will be a pleasure to meet you in person. :)

STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD.

Samchu
16th July 2010, 12:52 PM
I'd love to go to Argentina! I'm so holding you to that if I (hopefully we) get to visit.

Lady Vulpix
16th July 2010, 12:55 PM
Blade: I'm not messing with your head. You're doing a fine job of that yourself. :D

If saying I don't find the humor in someone feigning ignorance means I'm defensive, OK, you can call me that. Any semantic discussion beyond this point would be pointless. But I wasn't emphasizing that I like guys, that's beside the point.

Samchu: I hope so. :)

Blademaster
16th July 2010, 08:49 PM
I'd say something, but...
Blade: I'm not messing with your head. You're doing a fine job of that yourself. :D

Lady Vulpix made a wisecrack. I think the Apocalypse may, in fact, be upon us.

Hiding in the dark storage room in my basement for the next year. brb

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th July 2010, 12:37 AM
We had this Pride Helsinki event with a parade defending gay rights here in Finland. A teroristic attack using gas stroke it and a huge ruckus was arosen. And even a larger ruckus after the first ruckus. Now everyone is confused about who is defending what.

Telume
17th July 2010, 01:07 AM

If saying I don't find the humor in someone feigning ignorance means I'm defensive, OK, you can call me that. Any semantic discussion beyond this point would be pointless. But I wasn't emphasizing that I like guys, that's beside the point.

Samchu: I hope so. :)

I actually wouldn't mind visiting ARG myself, I haven't travelled anywhere outside the country in YEARS, last time I went outside was to Dominican Republic and that was back in '98.

Deadwood_Zen
17th July 2010, 01:10 AM
I've never left this stupid country. I've only ever to 6 states too :[

RedStarWarrior
17th July 2010, 03:44 PM
Wow, someone needs to get a sense of humor. Yes, that's in reference to you, Gabikins.

BTW, I'm actually glad that Argentina is setting a good example for other countries. Everyone has a right to be happy.

Drago
17th July 2010, 08:36 PM
The discussions in this thread made me giggle. Tee-hee!

Anyhow, that's awesome for Argentina, and I hope it really opens some avenues for people who would otherwise be out of luck.

Heald
18th July 2010, 04:11 AM
Good for Argentina.

Although really I just want the world to realise gays are nothing special and just normal people instead of some other alien race. Homophobia is one evil, yes, but at the moment, British television has some stupid love affair where every new comedy show, chat show or quiz-style program has to be hosted by some gay person. It's fucking stupid, because apparently just the fact they are gay means they are automatically funny. I'm serious, you could turn on a TV in the UK at any given time and one of the main channels will have some moron in front of an audience of morons squealing I LOVE WILLIES or I LET MEN STICK THEIR FINGERS UP MY BOTTOM and the crowd roll out guffawing trying to avoid their chests from bursting under the hilarity.

I hate the UK. It reminds me about 10 years ago when it was the same thing, only with black people.

Blademaster
18th July 2010, 04:46 PM
You could always move to Argentina. :D

Lady Vulpix
18th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Red, as Heald has clearly shown, sense of humor varies from person to person.

And no, I don't find that funny either.

Then again, Argentina has Show Match and reality shows based on pole dancing and stuff like that. I think we're witnessing a worldwide low on TV quality.

RedStarWarrior
18th July 2010, 09:04 PM
Red, as Heald has clearly shown, sense of humor varies from person to person.

And no, I don't find that funny either.

Then again, Argentina has Show Match and reality shows based on pole dancing and stuff like that. I think we're witnessing a worldwide low on TV quality.
Yes, senses of humor may vary, but at least we have them.

Talk and game shows along with reality television are horrible nowadays.

Telume
18th July 2010, 11:19 PM
Talk and game shows along with reality television are horrible nowadays.

Quoted for truth.

On topic: I hope this paves the way for the fed to stop being stupid and work on something like this.

Katie
20th July 2010, 06:28 PM
I have hope upon hope that the US will see this as an example, but I know that they will see it as a step backwards and one more reason to hate them Spanish speakin queer folk.

abunaidesu
21st July 2010, 12:15 AM
I easily gleaned that Scott was joking.

Anyway, good for Argentina. :)

Blademaster
21st July 2010, 05:42 PM
OK, who's deleting my posts again?! :mad:

Telume
21st July 2010, 09:10 PM
I have hope upon hope that the US will see this as an example, but I know that they will see it as a step backwards and one more reason to hate them Spanish speakin queer folk.

Unless you live in Florida, oh wait... Cubans are worse!

Deadwood_Zen
21st July 2010, 10:37 PM
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

...Oh, wait >,<