PDA

View Full Version : Poll/Discussion: behavior at message boards

DrCactus
16th April 2003, 11:23 PM
Hey ppl,
I've got an anthropology assignment to do and I thought I'd look at how and why ppl act in message boards. I used to use TPM back in the old days when it had its own site, and thought it'd be a good place to start. So here's some questions I've been thinking about. Any comments, ideas, discussion on any of these would be very appreciated.

1. What is the longest you have been with a message board (posting or reading – days, weeks, months etc)

2. Do you start topics? Why? - What do you gain from entertaining/enlightening/isulting the ppl here, who you've never met and can call most strangers?

3. Do you care about the number of replies you get for your topic? Why?

4. What do you gain from posting replies? (see q2)

5. Do you care about the opinions of others at a board? Why?

6. Do you care about the number of posts you have? If so, then what do you believe it says about a person?

7. Do you post truthfully?

8. Why do you think people spam?

9. Do you get into conflicts? Why?

10. At a board, is it worse to be ignored or to be hated?

11. Is your personality/identity/image/actions at a message board different from when you’re with family or friends? If so, then how? Is it closer to the ‘real’ you? Are they different at different boards?

12. Do you feel like you know the people at a message board?

13. Are there people you’ve met at a board that you consider friends as much as real life friends?

14. What qualities do you look for in your signature, account name and profile?

15. Why do you think people post the names of their clubs and board friends in their sigs?

16. Would you like to be a mod? Why?

ThAnX:wave:

Edit: changed a stupid q. thank you mistysakura for pointing it out.

ILikePokemonP
17th April 2003, 12:33 AM
1. What is the longest you have been with a message board (posting or reading – days, weeks, months etc)

This one - September 30, 2002

2. Do you start topics? Why?

Not often, there's lots of topics to reply to

I don't post new threads very often

4. Do you post replies? Why?

What else can you do at a message board? :rolleyes:

You need to respect them

6. Do you care about the number of posts you have? If so, then what do you believe it says about a person?

Its not important, but it shows how active you are

Always

Boredom

Not often, there hasn't been many lately

Ignored. If you're hated, that means that your opinions are being read and acknowledged.

11. Is your personality/identity/image/actions at a message board different from when you’re with family or friends? If so, then how? Is it closer to the ‘real’ you? Are they different at different boards?

I try not to have a split personality

I guess so

13. Are there people you’ve met at a board that you consider friends as much as real life friends?

Not really

Something that takes my mind off what I'm thinking for five seconds

15. Why do people post the names of their clubs and board friends in their sigs?

Ask them :P

It would be nice I guess. You can boss people around :)

mistysakura
17th April 2003, 04:19 AM
2 / 3 years? It was TPM, by the way.

2. Do you start topics? Why?
When I feel like it, because I have something to say that isn't already covered (obvious or what)

If it's a fanfic I've written, definitely. If they don't, it probably sucks too much and people don't want to totally brush me off by calling me an idiot.

4. Do you post replies? Why?
<sarcasm>No, never. :rolleyes:</sarcasm> For instance, I do it to help people with their anthropology assignments. Mainly to comment on fics and debate though.

Yes, they're real people too.

Not too much, though I don't like my original title, 'Beginning Trainer'. I believe that if you've got 0 posts, you're weird. Why did you sign up then? if you've got 1-20 posts, and haven't posted in a while, you get over stuff too quickly. That's about it; quality over quantity.

Yes, except for my name, when it comes up (hasn't so far at TPM)

They want to see if they get caght by the mods? Way too bored?

Um... do you mean conflicting views (e.g. 'Is there a God' topics), or, say, one group of TPMers vs. another? If it's the first case, A LOT. If it's the second, no.

Hated.

At [ .. wu riddles ..], I seem to be a lot more sensible. But I'm not even trying.

No, I'm pretty distant from everyone else, it seems.

No, but I'm not saying that they won't ever exist.

Signture: short, doesn't lengthen loading time.
Account name; No numbers. I hate numbers in usernames.
Profile: Don't look at it too much, don't think anyone else does, so I don't care about it.

15. Why do people post the names of their clubs and board friends in their sigs?
Advertisement... that's the only one I can come up with right now. Go ask them.

It would be nice, but I really don't care.

Crystalmaster Mike
17th April 2003, 11:18 AM

This one, since 3rd April 2001

2. Do you start topics? Why? - What do you gain from entertaining/enlightening/isulting the ppl here, who you've never met and can call most strangers?

I want to hear peoples opinions, I guess. And sometimes I want to collect information.

Well, it shows that folks are interested in what I have to say and ask.

4. What do you gain from posting replies?

Showing I'm interested, that I *care* about the other members.

Well, even though I can't see them IRL, I know they're real persons...

Well, I think it shows that I want to show people how 'experienced' I am. :heh:

Mmm... Most of the time, though I might give a slight swirl at the truth if it doesn't matter THAT much to the essence, the truth of my reply.

Out of boredness, to have a little fun. Or when they're really p!ssed off.

Not really, only if I get dragged into them or if I'm defending something I wholeheartedly stand behind.

... To be ignored I think. It makes you feel unexisting. At least, if you're *hated*, people know you exist... though still, it's not fun.

Well... firstly, I don't go at other boards much of the time. Secondly, I think I'm *slightly* more open than in real life. Also, if I wouldn't have said it, no-one would know I wear glasses, or when at home, can get quickly irritated. (*cough*lil' bro*cough*)

Not too much, I know how they act, but I've only come been here for two, maybe three years.

No... I don't interact much with other members beside replying... There are maybe only a small 10 peeps I've PMed with.

... To reflect my hidden personality, more precise: my fantasized behaviour as Real Pokémon Trainer.

15. Why do you think people post the names of their clubs and board friends in their sigs?

To flatter those friends and to show they like the clubs and members, and to invite others to visit the club.

Well... The wish is always present, but I might not be too capable. (Of course I'd never know for sure if I haven't been modded :P) Why? The *power*, the new options... The ability to enter The Private Forums. *dum-dum-dumdum!!*

White Gryphon
17th April 2003, 04:06 PM
I'll bite... nyarf!

1. What is the longest you have been with a message board?
About four years on Pokemasters.

2a. Do you start topics?
Sometimes, when I feel like it.

2b. Why?
If I've got something I'd like to start a discussion on, something that I don't think anyone else has been talking about recently, I post a topic. Sometimes I need to ask a big question, so I post a topic on that. If I want to find out something from a lot of people, I post a topic on that, too...

2c. What do you gain from entertaining/enlightening/isulting the ppl here, who you've never met and can call most strangers?
In my life, everyone's a stranger, so... I'm used to that. I like informing people on stuff I'm pretty sure they don't know, helps me to learn how to inform people. I'm not a very social creature and I'm a perpetual student when it comes to learning about the social life.

3a. Do you care about the number of replies you get for your topic?
Well, perchance my topics get a lot of replies, I'm kinda pleased...

3b. Why?
When people see a topic with a lot of replies, then they usually think, "Hey, maybe this topic is worth checking out," and when they read it and decide to post a reply, I'm glad that they had something to add to the discussion. It provides another point of view.

It's my duty to hald add something to a discussion if I know something about it and no one else has taken my viewpoint yet. They need to know, dadgummit. :)

5a. Do you care about the opinions of others at a board?
Most of the time.

5b. Why?
If it's just "I agree" or "I don't agree" it doesn't matter to me, but if I see a nice, well-rounded reply with a firmly-based opinion and all that schtuff like dat dere, then I care... yeah.

6a. Do you care about the number of posts you have?
Nah, but in some cases it shows how long I've been on...

6b. If so, then what do you believe it says about a person?
I'll answer this one anyway... if someone has a small post count, then they're either new or they prefer to read rather than reply. It doesn't mean that they have nothing to contribute, just that they would rather stand back and learn by being an observer. A person with a lot of posts is either a mod, someone who has a lot of info to share, or is a spammer.

Well, I don't like lying, so.... yeah. I think. If I get proven wrong, then I apologize and fix my info so that it's more factual.

To get attention.

9a. Do you get into conflicts?
I don't get into flame wars, well... not often, if that's what you mean.

9b. Why?
Not because I started it, because I wanna try and finish it by bringing the truth into perspective.

To be hated.

11a. Is your personality/identity/image/actions at a message board different from when you’re with family or friends?
Heck, yes.

11b. If so, then how? Is it closer to the ‘real’ you?
I talk a lot on the message boards, and being a person with Asperger's Syndrome, it's way more than how much I talk in real life... I don't really talk at all, unless I have something really interesting to talk about, and it has to be interesting only to me, myself, and I. But with my interests, no one really wants to listen, so I just clam up.

11c. Are they different at different boards?
I think so, I'm not sure. On Neopets, it's really different. I have to yell at scammers and beggars a lot.

Not at all.

Nope.

I like original images. They reflect the member's personality. The text usually relfects the member's tastes and preferences in pop culture.

Because they're the social type who like to show off what positions they've earned in their social sphere.

16a. Would you like to be a mod?
Not really, I'm already a mod.

16b. Why?
As for wanting to be a mod, I became one so that I could help out with building the main site and making sure that some shallow flamer doesn't have his way on the message board. Aside from that, I'm not really a good mediator. I'm better at moving topics that don't belong in certain forums and closing topics that had officially become flame wars.

Kirei
17th April 2003, 04:33 PM

I've been at this board over 2 years

Sometimes, but I prefer to post in other people's topics and add to a discussion

I like there to be a few, otherwise I think people don't even read it or something!

It helps to further a discussion and sometimes people comment on my replies which makes me think

Yeah, I think if I want people to listen to my views, that I should be respectful of theirs

No, I don't care about posts, I think I have over 1000 now

Yes, except if I'm being silly

I think they're bored, or they like attention

I have in the past but I normally stay out of conflicts, and if something I'm involved in gets too much, I say that I won't continue with a conflict

Ignored, imo

I think it's quite close although I am more shy in real life, and more insane believe it or not

I definitely know one of them, because we're dating and see each other for a few days most weeks, but people I haven't met in person, I feel like I know them a bit, but I wouldn't say I totally know them

Well, my boyfriend of course, but we know each other in real life so, if you mean the other people I know on here. I would, but not as much as my real life friends, because there is something lost talking on line, and you can't really know a person until you know them face to face although I do value online friendships a lot

I just like to make it look interesting

To help them feel part of the community

I'm already a mod here

vegetrunks
17th April 2003, 05:29 PM
1) Oh, I don't know maybe a couple of months. This here TPM was the first one I ever joined back in September 2002 and since then I've joined a few more. I s'pose this is the longest in that case if it was the first I've ever joined but if you mean actively been a part of then its this lord of the rings msn group I'm on. I've been postin, there for a couple of months.

2) I start the odd topic here and there but mostly leave that to other people. If I come across a piece of news for example that no one on a particular board seems to know about then I'll put it up with a link or something but aside from that I don't usually start many threads.

3) Everytime I start a topic I hope it gets a lot of replies. If no one acknowledges it then it makes you feel like an outsider. Even if the topic completely wanders I don't care as long as I know people have recognised what I had to say and have now decided to make a comment on it.

4) More replies you post the more active you are and the more active you are the more popular you become. Plus if you feel you have something important to say on a particular subject then you can add to it and let everyone know what you think.

5) Of course you care about others opinions. Why else do you join a board other than to discuss things and hear what others have to say. Thats the fun of the board. Find out about how different people from around the world approach certain situations. Take the war for example. If a topic was started on the war you could get opinions from the U.S which stereotypically would support the war, France which stereotypically would be against it and see what those people really think. It hepls us to see past our own back yards anmd have a larger area from which to gather information.

6) Post count. I never cared too much. I've never bothered to check any of mine on any boards. But I suppose it would be better if you had lots of posts. It makes you feel sorta like a veteran and, pardon the phrase, measures how experienced you are. The popular guys always have lots of posts. Although I always thought the opposite effect is true in real life. If I see someone has a high post count I think "they must be popular", but I also think "they need to get out more". It seems to me that those who are popular online must be unpopular in the real world.

7) I always post my true opinion. Sometimes I'll dramatise things and alter stories a little to make them more interesting but I'll never blatantly lie on a board.

8) People spam because they want attention. They want to be able to come up with some classic one liners. And sometimes spam can be funny. If someone waffles on for ages on a subject and then some clown posts "Yeah what he said" then they are after attention they are looking for a laugh. One liners are typically funnier than long winded jokes and sentences. If you'll remember Dr Ian Malcolm for Jurassic park. His "One big pile of ****" line in front of the triceratops droppings was undoubtedly the funniest line in that film. People want that effect. They want to be funny. People want to be popular and they think the only way to be popular is to be funny. When they may think it is hilarious others may have seen it all before and become very annoyed by it. How many people have ever been in school when a teachers cellphone rings and I promise the first thing you will hear is "Miss you're not allowed them in school y'know". It was funny but now you wanna choke whoever said it. People all have a different sense of humour.

9) I've never gotten into a conflict online. I always try to be as open minded as possible and let other people say what they want. I won't flame them or get angry cos they don't agree with me. Nor becasue I am scared. I don't like the thought of anyone hating me with a just reason. And that is what happens when you fight.

10) Well I say it is a lot worse to be ignored. When you are hated you can fight back, you can hate them if you want, when you are ignored you are completely shut out. No one acknowledges you. You start to wonder why you don't just leave and get out of everyones way. I have been shut out of groups in the past for one reason or another and it hurts a lot. You wonder why people won't just let you in, what have you done. If you are hated you are hated for a reason. If you are blanked it is simply because people don't give a monkeys arm
about you. They have their crowd and their group of friends. Why do they need a new one? I am not exactly popular on this board. They already have their in crowd (the mods and one or two hangers on) they don't need to acknowledge anyone else as long as their happy with the way it is going. I don't think this board is ready to accept new members. Of course they will welcome you with open arms and say "Hi welcome to TPM read the FAQ please do not spam". But after a while they'll forget you're even there and go back to their cubby holes with their little friends and everytime you stick your head in they push it back out again and sweep up the dust. This board will take new members. But it won't accepet them or give them any credit. A community was formed here long ago and try as you might no outsiders can get in. Anyway next question.

11) My personality online is very much the same as it is offline. Altough there are some things I will post at message boards that I wouldn't tell my real friends. Online you can afford to be more open. It doesn't feel as if you're talking to a real person onlie so you can tell them whatever you want and they will just eat it up and say NEXT!. In many ways it is a lot better.

12) I don't feel as if I know any of them. They don't really know me. They're juast like these one or two guys who live in my computer and I can tell them stuff and they'll respond. Its hard to explain.

13) None at all

14) I don't know how to make fancy banners or anything so I keep my sig to just my account name. The name cannot have numbers in it. And it should not just be the persons real name because that shows a complete lack of originality. I never read profiles myself most people just leave them blank anyway. I really like sigs to have intelligent or humourous quotes in them and I hate"VISIT MY SITE AT WWW. ANGELFIRE.COM/GAMES4/COOLMONKEYSDOMAIN"

15)Because they want to show how they are part of the community. It also helps the people who's names they posted to feel part of a community. They see their name on a list and go "Look coolmonkey considers me one of his friends" and then they get all enthusiastic and put it in their sig below "Proud moderator of the general discussion forum" or whatever.

16) I don't want to be a mod. It seems they don't do any real work. Any idiot could decide what topics are and are not to do with anime or whatever. They just sit on their high horses all day going in and out of the private forums as they please. They are the people who would destroy a communist society. They would strive for power and to be celebrated and praised while all others are left in the dirt thinking "Aren't you the one that welcomed me and said we would all be friends".

Anyway that was a waffle and a half. I would now like to trake this oppurtunity to announce that I am leaving TPM. Its not that I do not like the people here. I do not know any of you and it would be wrong to pass judgement. It is simply that I do not see any reason to stay. I have made no friends and gained nothing from my time here. I have other boards that don't have Mods. Where we are all truly equal. Where noobs are accepted as well as welcomed. Where we are all listened to and recognised and not just the in crowd. I hold no grudges as any human being would strive for acceptance as I did. Its just that you have all succeeded and I have failed here at least. I planned to put this on the end of my next post as its own thread...... well I didn' think I was important enough. No one would really reply would they. Well thats all I have to say. Don't take any offence from what I have said if you are a mod. As I have said it is only human nature for you to want to be mods and be popular and I do not hold any grudge against you. Well thats finally it on the longest and last post I'll ever post here. Bye

Little_Pikachu
17th April 2003, 07:03 PM

I believe that would be my time here at TPM. I joined on November 6th 2000 so that's almost 2 and a half years.

I don't start many topics, but when I do they're usually ideas I've been thinking about for a while.

It is nice to know that someone has taken the time to read my topic, but if no one can be bothered I don't blame them, I do tend to ramble on a lot and miss the whole point. If it's a topic where I'm wanting advice then it matters because obviously the more help I get the better, if it's random gibberish then I don't really care, but I haven't posted gibberish in a while.

Postcount++ :P Seriously, I like people to know my opinion, I think a lot of people like to hear my opinion too.

If it's in a discussion, yes. And if your opinion conflict with mine I will gladly "discuss". I don't care about opinions of "OMG you suck!" though.

I don't. Maybe I did when I was a newbie, but right now I don't care, posts can't make my rank any higher. All it says about someone is "I like to post at TPM a lot" or "I don't like to post at TPM a lot".

In serious or personal matters I'm always truthful. I do joke around though, but people can always tell when I'm joking.

Some are under the impression that a higher postcount makes them better. Then there are those ones who spam to cause trouble, I don't know why they do it, I guess they're getting thier jollies from it or something...

Yep, why? Because I state my opinion and I'm happy to defend it, and so are a lot of other people whos opinions don't match mine.

Ignored. I can do hated, no problem, but I'd like to at least be listened to.

I think I'm pretty much the same on here as I am in real life, you'd have to ask my off line friends that though.

Yeah, some of them. but you can never be 100% sure so I try not to get too attached.

I like to think some of the people here are really good friends, but you never know, and I always keep that in mind.

I don't really understand the question :\

They're trying to advertise their clubs to get more members, and everyone likes it when they see that someone cares enough to dedicate a bit of thier own personal sig to them, so it's a nice gesture.

No, I'm quite happy being an admin.

Moltrecuno
17th April 2003, 08:51 PM
I have been posting for 1 year, 8 months, and 4 days. :D And that be here on TPM.

I do start them sometimes, but they are usually in RPG or ASB where there is a whole lot of interaction. What I gain is some friendships over the internet. It also lets me apply what I learned about politics in some of the topics. ^_^;

I don't really care actually. I have no reason for why though. =\

Postcount, liking the quality of my post, and the occasional good feeling of ranting at someone who deserves it.

I do care since everyone's opinions is worth reading no matter if they're right or how idiotic they are. I also care about people's opinions about me in the RPG and ASB because I want to improve myself in any problem area I have in the forum.

I don't care anymore. I only care that my posts have a good quality to them. The number of posts don't necessarily say that the person is a spammer. Most of my postcount are posts that have some quality in it.

Yes I do. I dislike lying and people who lie in their posts.

For postcount and to be annoying.

Not really. I try to hold myself back in making rants most of the time. I dislike getting into fights with someone on the boards since I feel its usually not worth it and the person is usually idiotic. Right now its really hard for me to restrain myself from ranting in a certain forum.

I think its worse to be hated. For one its a bit depressing to know that you're hated. Two, flame wars and rants tend to pop up a lot more often if you're hated and you post.

My personality is very different outside the message boards with my family and friends. I tend to be quieter and very polite around them. I also don't show many of my views about the world and other stuff. Right now I'm trying to show the personality I have on the board with my family and friends since that's more to the true me.

I do know them reasonably well. Only a few I would know them just like they were my best friends.

Only my best friends on the board are the ones I consider as much as real life friends.

It doesn't matter to me. Those things are just used to express themselves and/or personality a bit. It also shows how much of a vet they are when you look into their profile.

They post their clubs as advertisement. They post their friends in their sigs to show how special their friends on the boards are to them I guess. *shrug*

This is the first time I'll fully admit it on the message board...so meh. I do admit I've been gaining some interest in being a mod. Though I must agree with vegatrunks's post on answering this question. Some of these mods are so power hungry and don't care about the other people who post in the forum they mod. The forum I mostly post in clearly shows an example of it. I was so close to leaving TPM because of it. -_- Anyway if I was a mod, I'd rather use my powers to help the people in the forum instead of throwing it around and showing off. I'd rather be the other definition of a leader than the one that some mods show when it comes to leadership.

~M~

Leon-IH
18th April 2003, 03:04 AM
About 2 years or so on diabloii.net

2a. Do you start topics?
Sometimes, im more of a lurker though

2b. Why?
Need to know stuff, want to see what others think of my ideas..

2c. What do you gain from entertaining/enlightening/isulting the ppl here, who you've never met and can call most strangers?
the ability to grin to myself every day and saying i can entertain/enlighten/annoy a complete stranger

3a. Do you care about the number of replies you get for your topic?
Not really, less answers with more quality is my choice.

3b. Why?
as above

Well, one always feels better if you help someone else

5a. Do you care about the opinions of others at a board?
Depends on the topic

5b. Why?
well, if your an american militarist don't show me that belief, we'll leave it there.

6a. Do you care about the number of posts you have?
Nope, i've probably read as many threads as the top posters on diabloii.net yet i only have about 53 posts and Darius has around 10k :)

As often as possible, lies never helped anyone

Idiocy or Extreme Intelligence, either leads to great dislike

9a. Do you get into conflicts?
Nope, thats what the lurking business is all about

Ignored, if everyone hates you well, it's feedback

11a. Is your personality/identity/image/actions at a message board different from when you’re with family or friends?
not alot my identity yes as i never tell anyone my name online

11c. Are they different at different boards?
in a way, mods are always the looming figure to everyone else, except us lurkers..

Never

Probably not

Bored social types..

16a. Would you like to be a mod?
No, i don't have either the skills or the as i would put it
"known-ness" because of a slight nature to hide behind the "iron curtain"

16b. Why?
as above

soggy_cardboard
18th April 2003, 05:33 AM
um, probally this one, i dont know how long ive been here...less than a year.

Yes i start topics, Why?...why not?
entertaining: a good laugh
enlightening: relisation that sometimes suck at pokemon.
isulting: a different view.

not really, im usually happy if my questions are answered.

satisfaction that ive helped someone.

yeah.

not really. i dont care how much they have to say, just the what they have to say.

yip. i dont see the point not to.

bordem/attention seeking (i could name a few names:rolleyes: )

Yes,but only if they say something bad about Spinda:D

ignored. if your hated, at least the ppl know you exist.;o

no, this is me.

Yes, well, only their opinions about the forum topic (ex.pokemon)
more so, if added to messenger.

sure, but not as close.

um, i like funny stuff, unique teams, and spinda ;)

um, i dont know. Possibly to get into other people's "cool-lists" :D
i think cool-lists encourage people to say funny stuff, so thats good.

No. Closing and moving threads? fun.

Gligar_Man
18th April 2003, 06:42 AM
1. been w/TPm almost 4 years... (first accuont was jolteon5000 or jolteon9000 i dont remember, back in november '99)

2. yup... if i need a question asked i ask someone... if i think my team needs help i post it, if im bored i chat with people... o_O

3. as long as what i was asking or going for gets done, no, im not a popularity hog, if i post a rmt and get no replies, i dont like that, but if i get enough to gain something from them, yeah thats good

4. mmm... its carma, lol... i post and need answers done, i answer in return universal carma, :yes:

5. yes i value peoples opinions, but when it comes to insults, nah... i call peoples morons all the time and etc. people shouldnt get so anal about it... its not like they could find me or anything, and if they did id just woop there ***... send'em back

6. no...

7. yeah

8. cause they have hemaroids...

9. only when a ton of people twist what i say and turn against me... wich has happenned 2 or 3x

10. neither, you shouldnt care, just do your thing

11. real me... i dont act any different around anybody and i dont get people that do

12. no, lol... i know a few from aim, etc. but i dont even remember half there names/identities

13. hmphh... sort of, only 2 that are cool i talk to on aim and we battle on gsbot alot... etc. help eachother w/teams

14. i chose the name gligar_man before the episode came out, like a month before (and i dont even watch the show so i wasnt trying to find upcoming episode info. if they even have that... :\) siggy is current team, avatar is to ease boredom

15. o_O i dunno, cause they can

16. not really, too much work, its not all its cracked up to be, ive been a mod and an admin at other boards... modded 2 and adminned at a board like 50x more popular than this... (no offense TPM your the greatest at pogey related boards) i adminned at ffixhq.com (final fantasy) i modded there also, and i modded at a seperate pogeyman board... if anyone remembers ampharos17 he had a site about 1/4th as popular as this and he also modded here for a while i think... o_O

homeofmew
18th April 2003, 08:53 AM
over 1 year!
I start some topics but not many, I usuallyu only open my fortune books :(
Atleast one :(
A higher Post count? lol! You also post your opinion and make people see things your way!
NO, they are entitled to their own opinion
I don't care, I have posted under 500 times in the last year and people still love me :)
Well of course :)
Because they are stupid iditots that want to be known for a large post count, but spamming isn't the right way to get known :(
I don't :O! but when I do I like standing up for my position.
Hated cause then it not nice, being ignored they know who you are but they don't bother you :)
I am pretty ,uch the same, but for those who know me, I am less of a pervert in real life lol.
YEAS! I love people at this board. I enjoy people hee like Little Pikachu, Zak, Konpiracy Theory, PokeMaster levin (even though he's a pain on AIM)
no, because people online you can't see their emotions and stuff, but they are nice tot talk to when you are sad :(
That it looks decent, maybe something funny, my account is pretty boring.
Because it shows they appriciate those people.
Yes Because Kevin owes me, for being annoying and That I was banned for no reason and he knows I heart TPM message board.

Lightning
18th April 2003, 08:53 AM
I've been with TPM since March 2001 (though my profile says otherwise). It's the longest I've ever been somewhere and when I take everything into consideration, it's my favourite forum.

I don't post topics all that much. When I do start them, it usually has something funny, or I'm showing my art in Fan Art so that I can get feedback on how to improve and stuff. :\

Not really. o_O; I mean, I suppose it's nice to have a whole bunch of pages after your name, but I would get lost too quickly. Sometimes I don't even look in topics with over 2 pages because I don't know where the last page I saw was and stuff. =\

I can give my opinion on things and help others... ^^;

Well, to some point no, I don't care. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I might disagree with some things, but that's not my problem.

Well, I used to. But now that it isn't displayed with every post, I could care less. If a person has a bunch of posts and they've been here a long time, I get the impression that they're dedicated. If someone whose been here for a few months has a lot of posts, I feel like they either have waaay too much time on their hands, or they post messages that are really short. :\

I try to tell exactly what's on my mind in the nicest possible way whenever I post, if that's what you mean.

To get attention or to just get a higher postcount to be noticed.

o.O I try to stay out of them.. I'm not an arguing-type person. ^^;; If I'm in some sort of conflict, I'm the type of person who will try to resolve it peacefully or just let the other person "win" to get out of it. I think. o.o;

Ignored. Definitely ignored.

Yep. I'm more open on MBs. ^^; IRL, I'm pretty shy around strangers or people I barely know. I only open up with my opinions and what not if I'm with friends. I prefer my online self to my offline self, but it's just too hard for me to change my personality. ^_^;;

Well, some of them. After staying in a place for a long time, you get to know people. You can predict their reactions to a topic and stuff. ^^;

I consider some of my online friends as even better friends than some of my offline friends.

In a signature, I like nifty images, no smilies, no boring talk and colours. :3 Maybe the chorus from a song, too. XD In an account name, numbers bug me. non-capitals are kind of annoying too, but that doesn't really bother me much. I don't really look at profiles much.

I think they do it to show they have "connections". o_O;

Well.. yeah. It always depends on the particular forum. It would have to be a forum that I was really dedicated to, even if I didn't post there most often. (e.g.: if I posted all the time in PCG, I would rather mod another forum that I liked even more.. make sense? o.O)

That was fun. :)

Bai,
Lightning