PDA

View Full Version : Assignment Music

Andrew
19th August 2010, 08:53 AM
So guys, procrastinating on my assignment.
What music do you use to energise you though it?

I use the Scissor Sisters or the Ministry of Sound's Electro House Sessions.

Zak
19th August 2010, 09:02 AM
Video game music. Srsly.

I don't just mean stuff like FF shit and other JRPG music (though that too), but some other nostalgic stuff. Like my collection of some tunes from early 90s games that are incredibly hard to come by (some of which took me five years to find on the internet).

Lyrics would distract me way too much. Anything instrumental and catchy is good for me. As in, not too all out symphonic/classical. But nothing annoyingly repetitive either.

I'll also settle for movie scores.

shazza
19th August 2010, 09:02 AM
I don't like vocals when studying; I find them distracting. So dub step, classical music and ambient music are probably on my rotation.

Deadwood_Zen
19th August 2010, 04:07 PM
I can multi-task and sing and do homework :P

English/Writing/History Classes -
Hawthorne Height "The Silence in Black and White"
Fall Out Boy "Infinity on High"
Avenged Sevenfold "Waking the Fallen"

Math - none, music inspires my creativity and there's little room for that in arithmetic

Science - My 'Ambiance' playlist, just for background music.

...More or less

PancaKe
20th August 2010, 09:23 AM
Late night rage is pretty good. I find radio a bit hard to concentrate. I have a special play list on itunes for assignemtns/writing. Usually includes the following bands:
- funeral for a friend
- porcupine tree
- opeth
- linkin park
- evanescence
- lost prophets
- the understatement
- nightwish.
- dream theater

a mix of nostalgic stuff and awesome stuff.
I cant afford new music.... so i never listen to new music while i'm doing assignments. :) unless its RAGE. Which I am listening to now :)

Thank you ABC for rage. You legends

Katie
20th August 2010, 10:50 AM
I can't listen to music while doing any complicated work

But if it's fun stuff like coloring (I love my major) then I just shuffle itunes and jam out to whatever comes on

Telume
20th August 2010, 11:24 AM
When I'm writing a program or something I usually crank up the Heavy Metal but, when I'm doing a writing assignment, instrumental stuff is the way to go.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st August 2010, 02:04 AM
Everything you like. It's difficult to study when an unpleasant music is playing. I have tried to prove for like ten years that it's not about the genre, it's about what you like.

In 2003, I got almost perfect (or was it perfect, I don't remember) grade from a Mathematics test regarding integrals. And Blind Guardian's Script Of My Requiem was my favourite song when I practiced.

I'll finish what I started once
I'll find my Holy Grail

MToolen
21st August 2010, 10:46 AM
Being a music major, this changes frequently. Many times, my assignment is listening to music. I think one of the weirdest pieces I've had to listen to so far is George Crumb's Vox Balaenae (http://www.lunanova.org/WhaleFlash/whaleflash.html) (Voice of the Whales), which has electric flute, electric cello, and amplified piano making--you guessed it--whale noises. Whale noises set to distinct pitches and rhythms that I had to analyze for motivic content.

But, that aside, I can't concentrate while music or the TV is going; if I'm going to write a paper, it's me and silence all the way.

ChobiChibi
21st August 2010, 01:35 PM
High 5 Music Major!

Oddly, I find it really difficult to listen to the music I'm studying whilst I'm writing about it... It actually distracts me. If I hear something new in the music whilst I'm writing about something else, it confuses me.

I tend to listen to stuff I can sing along to. And I can't ever have music on shuffle, because I like to know what's coming next.

As for bands... Really depends on my mood. At the moment, I love La Roux, The Fray, Bloc Party, Fall Out Boy, Jamie Cullum, Maroon 5... Also have a big soft spot for the soundtracks of FFX and FFXIII (surprised? no), as well as a few film soundtracks... Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Pirates of the Caribbean (Hans Zimmer... *drool*), Chocolat, LotR...

DivineAll
21st August 2010, 02:42 PM
Whenever I'm feeling really down and out, I usually play video game music to cheer me up, particularly boss battle themes to get my drive back again. It works pretty well given the previous times I've experimented with "We're All In This Together" from High School Musical and found out it didn't work as well as boss themes and the ending theme to FFVI.

Drago
21st August 2010, 04:36 PM
I generally just stick with mellow stuff, so I like Simply Red's Holding Back the Years. For a prolonged playlist though, I stick with my Pure Moods album, and lots of Kenny G, Enya and my man John Tesh.

midnightangel
21st August 2010, 06:16 PM
Depends on my mood~~and I have many moods and many musical tastes :P

If I want to just be relaxed and not think of anything, I listen either to world music, or just my mix of alternative music (includes Chevelle, Switchfoot, All-American Rejects, Coldplay, The Killers and Nickleback to name a few), or Pat Benatar.

To spur my creativity, I lean toward my j-pop/j-rock music, or my mix of Pokemon music that I've put on the computer. Dunno why I use Pokemon, but it works. ;)

If I'm in a horribly pissed-off mood, or in one of my I-don't-give-a-rat's-behind-about-world-moods (or about work), or if I seem tired, then I play The Goo Goo Dolls, and I feel better. Like chocolate candy for the ears. :P

abunaidesu
21st August 2010, 10:58 PM
mega man 2 ost

Magmar
22nd August 2010, 10:31 PM
I listen to the punk rock I listened to the summer I got my first car. It makes me feel energetic, focused, and yes, bouncy, but I also am usually chugging coffee and overcaffeinating while doing homework.

Face to Face's live album, AFI's "Sing the Sorrow", and Vendetta Red's "Between the Never and the Now", for example.

And of course, The Postal Service. Total focus music.

Deadwood_Zen
22nd August 2010, 11:01 PM
I LOVE "Sing the Sorrow"! One of the greatest albums, EVER! :D

papabopp
24th August 2010, 10:38 PM
i always try an listen to music while doin homework