PDA

View Full Version : Koran burning.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
10th September 2010, 06:51 AM
I hate say it, since it's too cliché and overstereotyped, but I can't resist it: silly americans.

What's your opinion on it?

Discuss.

Heald
10th September 2010, 07:34 AM
I think it's either Qur'an or Koran, but whatever those cultists decide to call their potions book is up to them.

I honestly couldn't care one way or another. Some asshole probably does something stupidly intolerant every two seconds, this idiot just had the forethought to notify the media weeks before it happened and it's spun completely out of proportion. When you have nearly every major Western and Muslim leader making official statements condemning this act, you're just giving this guy the publicity he so desperately wants. It'll be old news before we know it, hopefully. Some people have already died in riots in Afghanistan, so if that isn't proof to how stupidly out-of-control the reaction to some idiot's little bonfire has become, I don't know what is. Let all the reactionaries react badly to this, hopefully the increased blood pressure will kill them all.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
10th September 2010, 07:37 AM
We write Koran back here, so I'll just go with that.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
10th September 2010, 10:06 AM
By complaining and showing them all over the news they are getting way more attention than they ought to. It's not like I hear a massive outcry when some whackos are burning e.g. the US flag or a crucifix in the middle east either. When they burned down a Christian church someplace there all I saw in the papers was a tiny article.

shazza
10th September 2010, 10:08 AM
Heald and Alex have basically said all that is need to be said. A fuckwit who is getting the attention he wants from the media.

Lady Vulpix
10th September 2010, 10:57 AM
I think burning books is extremely disrespectful. And, additionally, burning holy books is also disrespectful to all those who believe in them.

I don't think it should hit the news, though. There are too many idiots in the world for people to have to watch all the stupid/nasty things they do.

Telume
10th September 2010, 11:53 AM
Not all of us are this stupid, some of us have Muslim friends who we respect and people like this are what give this country (whos reputation is already in shambles) an even worse name.

Bear
10th September 2010, 01:08 PM
I think if a person is secure enough about their beliefs and their religion then some ignorant person burning the book shouldn't bother them. You can burn 1,000 Bibles in front of me and I won't even feel bad, because I am secure in my beliefs. Regardless of how "holy" the book is, it's still just an assembly of ink and paper. You can't burn the spirit of the Koran.

Lady Vulpix
10th September 2010, 01:39 PM
Not all of us are this stupid, some of us have Muslim friends who we respect and people like this are what give this country (whos reputation is already in shambles) an even worse name.

I wasn't blaming the country. Just the people who do those things, and those who broadcast them.

But it seems MeLoVeGhOsTs did. O_o Some people just can't assign responsibilities properly. Like those who believe every bad thing that happens is because of the government (and that applies to the corresponding governments of wherever those people are from).

Jeff
10th September 2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, that's one thing that annoys me about this. IMO, when people put the blame for this on the whole country, it's no better than the Koran burners themselves thinking all Muslims are to blame for 9/11.

Roy Karrde
10th September 2010, 02:12 PM
Same view for me as the Ground Zero mosque, he has the legal right to do it, but that doesn't make it morally right.

Telume
10th September 2010, 02:52 PM
I wasn't blaming the country. Just the people who do those things, and those who broadcast them.

But it seems MeLoVeGhOsTs did. O_o Some people just can't assign responsibilities properly. Like those who believe every bad thing that happens is because of the government (and that applies to the corresponding governments of wherever those people are from).

I wasn't saying you were, I was saying in general in relation to the post.

I never referred to you in my post. I'll be sure to quote a specific post next time.

Asilynne
10th September 2010, 03:07 PM
Argh...this guy offends me so much. Some people are just so stupid. Honestly I can't understand how he could even justify this sort of thing to himself, what makes him this this will do any sort of good at all?
Also I hate this whole thing a lot more since the guy is a freaking pastor. He should find a different job, because its his JOB to preach love and brotherhood even to 'thine enemy', and yet hes going to judge all muslim/islam people as being the same and preaching hate against them. In doing so he's giving christianity a bad name and causing still MORE people to judge all christians as being like him -.-() Its people like that that make me so angry and ashamed.
I'm glad he backed out of it though, but he really should have just kept his damn mouth shut. I hope his whole congregation finds a different church now, I know I would (if I went to church XD).

Katie
10th September 2010, 03:56 PM
my stance has always been as long as whatever people decide to burn is mass produced and not alive or irreplaceable, and they're following proper fire safety, then that's their right.

I still have the right to call them a fishy cunt, however.

Blademaster
10th September 2010, 04:32 PM
Agreed on the fire safety part.

Personally, I'm all for burning the stupidity off of this planet. The sooner, the better. I'm not gonna go burn anything, but if someone was doing it out in the street right now, I'd be fine with it. As long as they're following fire safety.

Jeff
10th September 2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, last news I heard from this is that the local fire department wouldn't let him do it because it violated fire safety regulations.

Magmar
10th September 2010, 07:39 PM
We sell bundles of old paperback books at my job, and in one of them was a Quran that had the cover torn off. We found out that the only way to properly dispose of a Quran is to burn it.

So, we have a Quran in the breakroom 'cuz we don't want to burn it, and the cover's ripped off :o

papabopp
10th September 2010, 11:21 PM
i hate stupid ppl

Jeff
11th September 2010, 11:20 AM
It's official, it ain't happening. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39113743/ns/us_news-security/)

Asilynne
11th September 2010, 11:37 AM
Jones said that his church's goal was "to expose that there is an element of Islam that is very dangerous and very radical."

Yeah like his thing wasnt radical :rolleyes:

Lady Vulpix
11th September 2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah like his thing wasnt radical :rolleyes:
Well, it's not nearly as radical as burning people. It's just an insult. If his goal was to expose the dangerous and radical groups among the muslims, he's not achieving it. He's only making himself look stupid. Of course, those radical groups don't need idiots like him to expose them, because they're already doing it themselves. And gaining power from people's fear, so, if anything, he's helping them.

Leon-IH
15th September 2010, 07:38 AM
I like the idea of Koran burning, now if we can just add every other stupid hate preaching holier than thou bullshit text in and burn them ALL I'd be really happy.

Heald
15th September 2010, 07:54 AM
I like the idea of Koran burning, now if we can just add every other stupid hate preaching holier than thou bullshit text in and burn them ALL I'd be really happy.
Would that include all of Richard Dawkins' books as well?

MToolen
15th September 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm of the thoughts of Asi's first post. Christianity is about loving people regardless of sex, race, creed, or tongue (or anything else for that matter). I have the same problem with this as I do Westboro Baptist Church: the attitude that "I know you're going to hell, so I'll tell you and get you there as fast as I can." Koran burning shows nothing of God's love for us.

Leon-IH
15th September 2010, 04:27 PM
Would that include all of Richard Dawkins' books as well?

Sure why not.

chaos_redefined
18th September 2010, 05:20 AM
I'm of the thoughts of Asi's first post. Christianity is about loving people regardless of sex, race, creed, or tongue (or anything else for that matter). I have the same problem with this as I do Westboro Baptist Church: the attitude that "I know you're going to hell, so I'll tell you and get you there as fast as I can." Koran burning shows nothing of God's love for us.

Have you read the old testament? I should be stoned, according to it. And not in the fun, drug-induced way.

Heald
18th September 2010, 05:26 AM
Have you read the old testament? I should be stoned, according to it. And not in the fun, drug-induced way.
A lot of Christians disregard the OT and only follow Jesus' teachings as described in the gospels.

Telume
18th September 2010, 08:26 AM
A lot of Christians disregard the OT and only follow Jesus' teachings as described in the gospels.

EDIT: For Heald's viewing pleasure and because he pointed it out to me.

http://www.womensabworkout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/foods-that-fight-aging-watermelon.jpg

^^^ You mean like this?

Magmar
19th September 2010, 08:53 PM

But wait, why should you be stoned? Breaking kosher laws? I wonder if there are cheeseburgers in heaven. It's not heaven to me without cheeseburgahs