PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Get Mew through a glitch. What rock where you under if you didn't know about this?

Amphatoast
21st April 2003, 09:38 AM
ok ok I know everyone is going to say you can't get Mew and bash me off, but if anyone got yellow and got free time, could you try this Mew code and see if it works? A Moderator from anther forum said he tried it and it worked for him.
http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=10759&topic=7595515 is for the code.

http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001568 & http://4309.rapidforum.com/topic=101184907700 are both talking about it.

[EDIT]: Here's an easy to read walkthrough, with pictures and stuff: http://white-cat.virtualave.net/pfiles/catchmew.htm

RaZoR LeAf
21st April 2003, 10:01 AM
No. They are both talking about how rubbish it sounds. Anyone can say "I've got Mew!" or "wow it really works!". I wouldn't beleive a thread of evidence until I saw a real-time video file of it being done. Hard evidence is always needed in these cases, and people who can't back it up or say they don't need to back it up usually have something to hide.

Amphatoast
21st April 2003, 10:46 AM
I know what u mean Razor Leaf, but for some reason, I actually think this 1 might work. Everyone who is saying it doesn't work never even tried it, although I know how fustrating it can be to try it and find out it doesn't work.

RaZoR LeAf
21st April 2003, 11:02 AM
Well people who veiw this are welcome to try it. I have no intention of doing so, Mew means nothing to me.

But to save looking through those links here's the "code". Not so much a code, more like a task. Similar to Missingno.

Originally posted by TheScythe at GameFAQs Message Boards

If you don't believe me, try it yourself.
I predict about 99% of the replys to this post will be people who won't even try this, and will just poo-poo it the second they see it. If you bother even TRYING this code, you might actually see that this works. And, please, if your going to start and hate me, only hate me if the code didn't work for you. It should work. No mindless babbling about how I'm a liar. Because I'm not. About this anyway.

================================================== =======

-Make sure you haven't battled the Youngster with a Level 17 Slowpoke, on the way to Bill's house. If you have, the code won't work.

-Also make sure you haven't battled the Gambler with two Poliwags and a Poliwhirl. He is facing the Underground Path toward Celadon city...on Route 8. If you have, the code won't work either.

-You need Fly. (Aka HM02)

-Get some Ultra Balls, and anything else you would use to catch a Level 7 Mew, that only knows Pound.

================================================== =======

Go to the Gambler I talked about before. Save AT the door he is facing. Don't make him battle you. SAVE HERE, this is tricky. Now, step one step towards him, and PRESS START. Really fast. If you did it right, it will pop up, but he won't battle you. (This shouldn't work for any other trainer) Now Fly to Cerulean City.
[If you've done this right, after you use Fly, he will get the "!" over his head]

Note: You cannot use START, A, or B.

Note: Do NOT save anywhere after this. First of all, you can't save when your buttons don't work. But second, when they work again, saving will ruin the Mew code, and not allow you to get the Mew. Ever. Keep your saved file from before you battled the Gambler.

[If you've done this right, you can't press Start]
Walk (you can't use start) to the Youngster, and when you battle him, make sure he WALKS TO YOU. Don't go directly in front of him. Beat him, and (now your buttons work) Fly to Lavender Town (Or Saffron City).

[If you've done this right, the Start menu WILL pop up when it should]
Now if you went to Lavender, go to the left of town, and start to enter that narrow passageway. If you went to Saffron, go right, to where the guard lets you past if you give him a drink. Either way, the Start menu will pop up. Do NOT save here. Press B. Mew will appear. This is your ONLY chance. (unless you go to your save file before the Gambler) Ta-Da...its a Mew.

DarkBoy
21st April 2003, 08:24 PM
sorry I don't know how to make real-time movies, but here's a picture of in the battle, it's all I have.
If you don't believe me, that's your own choice.
Most won't take this as conclusive evidence, so I'll take some actual pictures when I do it on my cartridge.

edit: sorry about the typo in the attachment name >_<

[attachment deleted by admin]

DarkBoy
21st April 2003, 09:46 PM
here's another pic, I'll post more in a minute.
Don't believe it, go ahead, step in front of a trainer from that far, they'll engage you:
edit:someone tell me how to make a movie, and i'll do it.

The Muffin Man
22nd April 2003, 02:01 PM
I am actually gonna try this out. PX, Karin, and SoL all know me as a respectable source. I doubt they'd question me if I told them it was true...

ILikePokemonP
22nd April 2003, 07:08 PM
Omfg it works!

Edit: I'll even put it in my sig :)

Razola
22nd April 2003, 10:28 PM
That isn't worth the effort. I can easily shark a mew and save time.

Besides, anyone who sees a mew with me as the OT will instantly think its sharked.

Of course, I play Ru/Sa now anyway, so that's another reason why I won't bother with this.

ILikePokemonP
23rd April 2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Raz

That isn't worth the effort. I can easily shark a mew and save time.

Besides, anyone who sees a mew with me as the OT will instantly think its sharked.

Of course, I play Ru/Sa now anyway, so that's another reason why I won't bother with this. Well it would've been a better breakthrough over four years ago, but its still good. Not everyone has a shark as well.

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 09:14 AM
after all the posts i hear that confirm this glitch/code/whatever, i cant believe that finally after 4 years of false mew codes from noobs, that one of these codes happens to be true. I didn't try it yet, but i will. sigh.. if only i had an emulator that had the ability to make movie files, i'd do it on my rom...

Amphatoast
23rd April 2003, 09:34 AM
See, told ya :) Anyone tried it for red and blue yet?

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 12:22 PM
holy ****!

it DOES work.. i just tried it..

I wouldn't beleive a thread of evidence until I saw a real-time video file of it being done. Hard evidence is always needed in these cases, and people who can't back it up or say they don't need to back it up usually have something to hide.

worry no more.. i am now in the process of recording evidence.. just give me 10 minutes and i'll post the movie file.

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 12:47 PM
damn it!

the file is too big to upload.. even on e-mail. damn thing is 141 mb

I guess i'll hafta send it through AIM, then..

AIM: "Kari and Mewtwo"

heres proof that i made the video, though (it says its 35 sec, but its much longer than that):

Ron
23rd April 2003, 12:54 PM
Yes, it works for Blue, I don't know about Red. Man, this is so awesome. :)

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 12:57 PM
*Starts to mock Rita Repulsa (from the original power rangers)*

AH!! After 5 years i'm free! Its time to conquer EARTH!! ~Mew

Lezta
23rd April 2003, 01:27 PM
XD
Better than any stupid truck thing. If I had time and could be arsed, I'd try this. :)

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 01:35 PM
definately alot better than the truck.

oh, btw..

I now have the file zipped and ready to go. GET IT WHILE ITS FRESH!!

http://www.geocities.com/kari_mewtwo2000/MEW.zip

OffKilter B
23rd April 2003, 02:45 PM
it really works eh? ill have to get the old Blue version out and check it. maybe get me a shiny ditto while im at it.

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 03:09 PM
well, i guess its safe to say that mew finally can be caught

DarkBoy
23rd April 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Kari & Mewtwo
definately alot better than the truck.

oh, btw..

I now have the file zipped and ready to go. GET IT WHILE ITS FRESH!!

http://www.geocities.com/kari_mewtwo2000/MEW.zip

I'm d/ling your movie, no idea why, as I know it works and have done it, but oh well ^_^

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd April 2003, 05:10 PM
i guess you can just use it as evidence to show people that this mew code does work..

DarkBoy
23rd April 2003, 06:18 PM
i guess you can just use it as evidence to show people that this mew code does work..

yeah, but I suppose my Army of Mews would work just as good.
*hugs dupelication trick of Gold/Silver*

Nall
23rd April 2003, 06:25 PM
I'll have to try that, since I already restarted my Yellow anyway o.o

TheAstroCreep
23rd April 2003, 09:38 PM
Dude, I wanna see the video. I got a Mew from the Nintendo Mall tour when they hit Westminster Mall. Anyone going to mirror the video clip? I can try to, hit me up on AIM, it's in my profile.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th April 2003, 12:24 AM
These guys here are also talking about it: http://netti.nic.fi/~womp/cgi-bin/ubb//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000246

Heh heh...watch your language...:D

Pokemaster BW
24th April 2003, 01:06 AM
i can't wait to try this. this isn't a glitch, is it? or are you still confirming this? either way, this is so awesome. i can't believe it, but i do...

DarkBoy
24th April 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Pokemaster BW
i can't wait to try this. this isn't a glitch, is it? or are you still confirming this? either way, this is so awesome. i can't believe it, but i do...

It's a glitch as far as I know, a second MissingNo, if you will.
But it does work.

Dragonfree
24th April 2003, 08:24 AM
Wow!:o

My Mew loving friends will be delighted to hear that. However, I love the pokémon in my Yellow save more than Mew...

Gnight
24th April 2003, 08:34 AM
i dont believe this one bit

GoldDraconian
24th April 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Gnight
i dont believe this one bit

Your loss, then. I first saw this and was thinking 'olol joke code', then I tried it (at 3x speed...), and it _worked_. It's the Missingno. trick's second coming or something.

Funny how the most unrealistic code turns out to be the only right one. :O

If my word is not enough for you, I'm not going to bother trying to persuade anybody. It's their loss... I, on the other hand, am going to go catch my Mew now. O_O

Prodigy
24th April 2003, 04:33 PM
Haven't tried this yet, but this weekend should be a perfect opportunity.

Incidentally.. White Cat has posted a walkthrough complete with screenshots here (http://white-cat.virtualave.net/pfiles/catchmew.htm).. might be nice to have if you find pictures helpful. The video Kari & Mewtwo posted is also good.

My guess is that a programmer snuck this in and then covered it up. It could just be a glitch, but it seems to work in all three versions, and they removed Missingno. for Yellow. How this was discovered is anyone's guess, though. I suppose someone could have stumbled upon it by accident, but this is a pretty complicated thing to just fluke into. Perhaps, as White Cat suggested, somebody at Gamefreak may have leaked it.

Incidentally, if this hasn't been made a sticky topic yet, it needs to be. Not that RBY is active enough to push this down onto the second page or anything, but..

MetalScyther
24th April 2003, 05:25 PM
This is really ****ing awesome. I'm wondering how whoever did find this(scythe said he found it on a website), found it. Seriously. Looking around for glitches such as this seems odd.

Gnight
24th April 2003, 05:29 PM
THIS IS BULL****

Kari and Mewtwo
24th April 2003, 05:40 PM
THIS IS BULL****

you deny the existence of this code, even with all evidence we have provided/found?

MetalScyther
24th April 2003, 05:46 PM
Funny ****.

Obviously gknight is just acting stupid now on purpose, but in any case at the time when I believed he was acting serious(his first post), it really cracked me up. I'm not sure if I ever saw a post quite as meaningless as that. Haha.

Mana Lugia
24th April 2003, 06:38 PM
you kind of realize he's a n00b when you look at his sig's team... :P

but really, I love this cheat! because of it, I was banned from PokemonElite2000's msg board... no more n00b bashing for me there :'( gosh darnit

and yes, the person who didn't believe me one bit is the Admin XD

http://pokemonelite.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=gbgeneral&action=display&num=1051149031

hehe, fun.

ILikePokemonP
24th April 2003, 06:57 PM
Rofl at that link. Gee that's one smart admin :rolleyes:

Smokey
24th April 2003, 07:00 PM
YAY I caught a Mew after years of waiting!!!
~*Huggles Her Mew*~

Gnight
24th April 2003, 07:20 PM
u wish i was a n00b

Kari and Mewtwo
24th April 2003, 07:38 PM
yep, that really is one smart admin.. XDXD

you shouldve shown him my video.. chances are he'd change his mind.. if he doesn't, then I don't know what to say..

Mana Lugia
24th April 2003, 08:08 PM
too late for that now, I got banned because my first post said:

"Don't believe me? Don't post here until you've tried it".

and then 2 illiterate ppl posted anyways, and I told them to become literate, and never post in my threads again...

and I was banned for disrespecting other ppl ;_; Go fig. Oh, that, and the mew code is fake, or so says admin =)

and @ Knight:
I don't wish you were a n00b. I know you're a n00b. There's a big difference.

Gnight
24th April 2003, 08:44 PM
im not a n00b

Gnight
24th April 2003, 08:45 PM
and i know ur a n00b

Ron
24th April 2003, 08:55 PM
lol u 2 stp th fiting.

I posted the Mew code at Nall's board, and all these idiots were flaming me, and saying that the saved game files were 'haxored' and that 'nitendo wuld reprt a gltch'

I hate those kinda people.

DarkBoy
24th April 2003, 09:00 PM
and i know ur a n00b

stop poisioning the topic with your rubbish.

And Kari, I posted the link to your movie on the GameFAQ's boards topic about this, just thought I'd let you know.

Mana Lugia
24th April 2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ron
lol u 2 stp th fiting.

I posted the Mew code at Nall's board, and all these idiots were flaming me, and saying that the saved game files were 'haxored' and that 'nitendo wuld reprt a gltch'

I hate those kinda people.

lol, join the club, I guess. *shrug* Ignorance is Bliss. They're living happily ever after. :D

XinuX
24th April 2003, 09:15 PM
Uh... nine times out of ten, Nintendo don't give a Rattata's rear about glitches in RBY. They are now so out-of-date they don't care.

Um... according to IE the site with the movie on it has exceeded it's bandwidth limit. Can anyone put it somewhere without a bandwidth limit?

Mana Lugia
24th April 2003, 09:19 PM
Well, update on the PE2K situation:

After Amphytoast and XinuX, and prolly some others telling the admin it works, (I think he tried it too), he admits to me he was incorrect, and the mew code works. =D

guess who's not banned anymore? Bah, I still can't do mega n00b bashing. This calls for Anger Management with Sandler and Nicholson! :D

Kari and Mewtwo
24th April 2003, 09:34 PM
heh.. dont you just love it when people apologize?

And Kari, I posted the link to your movie on the GameFAQ's boards topic about this, just thought I'd let you know.

no problem.. noone there had evidence, anyway..

Amphatoast
24th April 2003, 10:24 PM
They still locked the topic though. Oh well, if they don't believe it, they don't believe it, you can't force someone to believe something.

XinuX
24th April 2003, 10:50 PM
Hitler, Stalin and the like would disagree with that comment.

~~~

But they're dead, so who cares.

Gnight
25th April 2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by DarkBoy
stop poisioning the topic with your rubbish.

my rubbish???:mad: that other dude called me a n00b first

Shadowkiller
25th April 2003, 06:03 AM
It works!

Only problem Ive encountered so far is that when I transferred the Mew onto Stadium 2 the Pokemon transfer function seized a little. Had to reboot the N64 to get it to work.

SageofLaughter
25th April 2003, 09:58 AM
Damn, that's cool.

I'll have to dig up my copy of Red and try it out at some point. Anyone know if this trick causes any long term damage to the game?

RaZoR LeAf
25th April 2003, 10:00 AM
To reply to a topic with nothing more than swearing, complaints and insults is a noobish act. Gnight, you replied to this topic with a simple phrase "Bull ****!". That is a noobish act, making you a n00b. If you have something to say, say it like a grown up instead of resorting to childish swearing. And if this arguement and nakecalling continues i'll delete all the posts concerning it and report to Team Meeting.

GoldDraconian
25th April 2003, 10:07 AM
my rubbish??? that other dude called me a n00b first

That's acceptable because he was right. :p

If you think this whole thing is a hoax, go ahead and think that- you're losing, not us. But if you want to argue, why not go ahead and try the trick, so you can prove to yourself that it's fake? That'll save us a lot of time scrolling by your messages to see what else has been posted, and it'll get you a Mew while you're at it. Everyone wins.

Cammy White
25th April 2003, 01:06 PM
Oh my goddess that is so cool! I realise that using a Gameshark would be much easier but this way means that you aren't cheating as such because it was in the game and you didn't do anything illegal. I actually started my yellow version over again the other day to try this code out, I know that may sound insane because it could have abeen a whole bunch of lies but I wa so happy when it worked! Granted it'll look like you've sharked because your OT is you but it's still cool! :D It would have been better if this had come about a long time ago when I was particularly desperate for Mew and got a Gameshark to get one but the novelty value is still there. I wonder if there is a way to get Celebi like this in G/S? It also makes you wonder how people figure this stuff out.

Kari and Mewtwo
25th April 2003, 01:29 PM
some people think NOA purposely leaked it out, thinking it would be useless since you cant trade between RBYGSC and RS..

i mean, doesnt it sound completely bizzare that someone decided to fly away from a trainer on purpose, fight another trainer on purpose, then fly to saffron/lavender on purpose, only to leave on purpose and fight mew?? the possibility of someone trying this out for no reason at all is just so random that it couldn't have been a mere coincidence.

GoldDraconian
25th April 2003, 01:54 PM
Well, it does seem strange- but wasn't it chance that discovered the Missingno. trick, too?

Kari and Mewtwo
25th April 2003, 04:12 PM
true, but at least it would make sense that missingno could appear by accident.. with mew, you need to time when to use your start button.. the missingno trick doesnt have that.

Josefina
25th April 2003, 05:38 PM
omg!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE tell me this isn't a joke, and that this works... :rolleyes:
Oh well, I'll try it. :P
Also, I got a question. Can this Mew be passed to G/S/C?

Thanks.
:wave:

Razola
25th April 2003, 05:55 PM
Like all pokemon in R/B/Y, it can be traded to the Metal versions.

Josefina
25th April 2003, 06:11 PM
You can pass your pkmns from R/B/Y to G/S/C... By pkmn stadium 2! I have done it... :rolleyes:

GoldDraconian
25th April 2003, 06:15 PM
true, but at least it would make sense that missingno could appear by accident.. with mew, you need to time when to use your start button.. the missingno trick doesnt have that.

Conceivably, though, you might do something like that for the fun of it- I think I've tried to START before a trainer saw me before...

It is highly unlikely stuff, but it could happen.

ILikePokemonP
25th April 2003, 11:38 PM
The chances of finding out this trick by accident seem to be lower than winning the lottery. There's hundreds of trainers in the game, thousands of squares to walk on, and dozens of different button press combinations. I dare say that someone leaking the info is much more likely than some finding it out accidentaly.

Gnight
26th April 2003, 06:46 AM
fine then, i'll replay my pokémon blue so i can prove you all wrong

RaZoR LeAf
26th April 2003, 07:21 AM
fine then, i'll replay my pokémon blue so i can prove you all wrong

Don't forget all the evidence you need then. Video footage would be best, since we already have video footage proving it works.

SageofLaughter
26th April 2003, 07:56 AM
I find this whole topic very entertaining XD

I just restarted Pokémon Red, so I'll be testing this myself as soon as I can.

Prodigy
26th April 2003, 10:20 AM
OMG SOL

:wave:

Gnight
26th April 2003, 10:28 AM
THERE'S VIDEO FOOTAGE PROVING THAT THE CODE WORKS???????!!!!!!!!! O____________________________O

WHERE DO I GET IT????!!!!!!!!!!

RaZoR LeAf
26th April 2003, 10:33 AM
THERE'S VIDEO FOOTAGE PROVING THAT THE CODE WORKS???????!!!!!!!!! O____________________________O

WHERE DO I GET IT????!!!!!!!!!!

Did you read all the posts in the topic or did you just read the first post and hit reply?

dr._samurai
26th April 2003, 10:38 AM
damnit, i would do this if i had time and i wasnt so damn lazy. i want mew. ah who cares:rolleyes:

Gnight
26th April 2003, 11:47 AM
:o :o it worked:o :o :o i dont believe it, i tried the code and it worked.......:o :o :o holy #$%

GoldDraconian
26th April 2003, 11:56 AM
fine then, i'll replay my pokémon blue so i can prove you all wron

:o :o it worked:o :o :o i dont believe it, i tried the code and it worked.......:o :o holy #$%

This is the part where I say:

TOLD YOU SO! ;)

Enjoy your Mew.

Kokomo
26th April 2003, 12:03 PM
This whole mew thing came kind of late.:rolleyes:

SageofLaughter
26th April 2003, 12:28 PM
I'm fighting Mew now, the code works.

That was a fun waste of a few hours XD

Mana Lugia
26th April 2003, 12:34 PM
TGB + Gameshark + speed up

= Getting to saffron within 10 minutes to verify said code =D

RaZoR LeAf
26th April 2003, 12:41 PM
It HAS come a bit late, but RBY hasn't had so many posts in a day, in AGES. Perhpas this will bring people back to RBY, lots of people want Mew, now they can get it, they'll perhaps go back to the original games for some time.

Gnight - There you go.

Swinubman53
26th April 2003, 04:51 PM
I actually found something else out about the (what I consider legal) trick is that when I withdrew Mew from its pc box, it was at lvl:7 like everyone else said it would be. I had raised him up to lvl:21 and i realised he wasnt learning any new moves , but then I went in to my pc box to get the hitmonlee i just got from the dojo, and, this is going to sound weird but, when i looked in I found a lvl:50 mew in there! It knew all the moves mew was supposed to learn, "transform,mega punch,metronome, and Pshychic" I used him my Pikachu and the rest of my team to beat yellow for the first time since i got the game when it came out. Note he is now on lvl:59 after beating the indogo plateu.

Josefina
26th April 2003, 04:57 PM
Wow.. I can't believe it. I am going to try that cheat right now... !!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Oh Yeah! Here I come Mew!!!! :yes:

Yay! :wave:

Razola
26th April 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Swinubman53
I actually found something else out about the (what I consider legal) trick is that when I withdrew Mew from its pc box, it was at lvl:7 like everyone else said it would be. I had raised him up to lvl:21 and i realised he wasnt learning any new moves , but then I went in to my pc box to get the hitmonlee i just got from the dojo, and, this is going to sound weird but, when i looked in I found a lvl:50 mew in there! It knew all the moves mew was supposed to learn, "transform,mega punch,metronome, and Pshychic" I used him my Pikachu and the rest of my team to beat yellow for the first time since i got the game when it came out. Note he is now on lvl:59 after beating the indogo plateu.

A glitchy mew...just give it a few weeks and it'll turn out he deletes your game.

Dark Magician
26th April 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mana Lugia
TGB + Gameshark + speed up

= Getting to saffron within 10 minutes to verify said code =D

On the other hand, Gameshark = Mew. :D
Well, I'm off to play my glitchy Blue that won't store a save file for beans. It can't get any more crapped up than that.

Nace
27th April 2003, 03:31 AM
haha! I love this code! My own Mew! By the way, to fix that glitch may I suggest trading it to g/s/c then back? That might do the trick.

Swinubman53
27th April 2003, 11:42 AM
By the way, to fix that glitch may I suggest trading it to g/s/c then back? That might do the trick.

I actually did that to get mew data in my gold version. I think thats what may have made him appear.

The Muffin Man
27th April 2003, 12:28 PM
I am currently having trouble Pausing it at the right moment(currently outside Pewter city, trying to pause it before I get into battle with the first Lass..)

Anyone have any pointers? Or are those two trainers a bit slower to the draw if all goes as planned?

Kari and Mewtwo
27th April 2003, 12:36 PM
if youre usin a rom, its best to put it on frameskip (on VBA, 4 should be enough)..

if its actual cartridge, then the timing will take a bit of practice.

Mana Lugia
27th April 2003, 12:36 PM
I just repeatedly tap the start button right after I press down, hoping for a lucky break

Pokemaster Cody
27th April 2003, 03:11 PM
Finally, after all that truck shiot we finally have a code that works for Mew. I just gamesharked 95 rare candies on my Charmander, sharked all badges, taught Charizard fly, used the floating trick and tried everthing. I also did it again, except, instead of the Youngster, I tried one of the Hikers in the area and got a Nidoqueen. Nice code. The glitches are probably numerous in RB(possibly yellow), it's just that they are so impossible that no one would bother to think about it, just like this one for example. I don't think it was a Nintendo programmer that made it in seret, the game is most likely inspected, it was probably just a placement for all of the pokemon, seeing as how every single pokemon can be found this way. Maybe a Nintendo programmer leaked the info to his son or something like that.

Thunderchu
27th April 2003, 03:13 PM
I really gonna try that code!!!

Pokemaster Cody
27th April 2003, 03:20 PM
Strangest thing just happened. I went from the Gambler to Lavender, fought Gary, and walked back and it said, "I'm better than that school" or something like that and a Machoke appeared.

Ron
27th April 2003, 04:05 PM
Muffin Man, you're not supposed to pause at the battle with the lass in Pewter City. You have to pause before the gambler sees you. Did you read what to do?

The Gremlin
27th April 2003, 06:11 PM
Whoaa, It seems to me like this one is true.

All university work is on hold.

Time to catch MEW

Shadowkiller
27th April 2003, 09:31 PM
Has anybody tried this with other trainer/route combos?
Or is it only this one trainer/trainer/route ?
:confused:

GoldDraconian
27th April 2003, 09:41 PM
It seems that doing the Gambler trick lets you find different Pokemon based on the trainer you fight.

Conveniently, the Slowpoke Youngster lets you fight Mew.

Volbachutwotlepuff
28th April 2003, 01:37 AM
ok that title sounded wrong didn't it? but I have had 300% confidence in this code ever since i saw it on pkmn.co,uk even tho i haven't done it yet (when i stop being so lazy ill do it on Blue):D now i have got to get back to stuffing my face ok? *shudders* oh that sounds wrong...

Nace
28th April 2003, 06:45 AM
I works alright. I just did it yesterday. *hugs Mew*

Gnight
28th April 2003, 07:34 AM
i've been experementing with the gambler trick and fighting different trainers and seeing what pokemon will appear and when i fought the rocker way south of Lavender town and i flew back of lavender town, went west, my start screen poped up on it's own, i pushed b, a battle ensued, the screen went black longer than usual and i thought "no, it couldn't be" and then Missingno appeared!!:o

ILikePokemonP
29th April 2003, 01:34 AM

if its actual cartridge, then the timing will take a bit of practice. Iirc, I got it right on the first try :)

soggy_cardboard
29th April 2003, 04:28 AM
does this work on a ROM?

does it still work if ya save on the ROM using shift+F1-9??

Yurika
29th April 2003, 04:59 AM
I haven't posted in here or gfaqs in a long time so I will embrace you with some words of wisdom. Many rumours so similar to this rumour has been made in the past 4 years or so. This being the rumour that has worked but it's quite possible that someone else had this happen and reported it and was pwned for being a liar and etc. Anyways enough about that. It works on yellow from what I hear and the trainers you battle vary in which pokemon they give. What im going to try is see if the missingo and mew can coincide thus giving me lots of chances to catch a mew and one with MAX DV's. Clone it and so on.

Anyone willing to do some research on this can contact kari who in turn can contact me. Kari knows where to find me.

Zhen Lin
29th April 2003, 06:08 AM
I think you have to restart to the saved game in order to do any experiments... After I got the mew, I tried to do the same thing again, but I could never press Start fast enough before the gambler saw me...

Perhaps it is a programmed glitch...

SageofLaughter
29th April 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Zhen Lin
Perhaps it is a programmed glitch...

It is possible that this was some kind of debug mode for the testers, but if it was I think it would have taken less time to surface.

As for how this was discovered, think about it a moment.
How many millions of copies did this game sell?

Millions of people playing a game over several years will uncover stuff like this, no matter how obscure.

Someone, out of curiosity, presses start in front of the gambler. Out of further curiosity, they fly to another location to see what happens. The start button ceases to function, so they battle a trainer to see if that fixes the glitch. It does, so they fly back to Lavender to try flying from the gambler again. The start menu pops up, and a random Pokémon appears.

They try this again, and a different Pokémon pops up. Again, out of curiosity, they keep trying this, until eventually Mew appears.

Sure, it seems unlikely, but remember that millions of people have had many years to do this.

Charles Legend
29th April 2003, 08:26 PM
Mana Lugia I am behind what you said about if Nindo had not batherd to fix the Glitchs then it's not are falt for finding mew in R/B/y is's Nintendo's for not fixing it and I beleave in this code 100% even thought I have not tested for myself yet.

~Ryu

Gnight
30th April 2003, 05:35 PM
uh......does any body care that i found another way to run in to Missingno??

GoldDraconian
30th April 2003, 06:49 PM
Well, since I'm assuming the different trainers have something to do with the different Pokemon data locations, it's not surprising that you can find Missingno. along with the others, since it's obviously accessible.

Don't Run With Scizors
1st May 2003, 12:19 AM
Little more info on the subject:

Originally posted by White Cat (at this post at Azure Heights (http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001568)):

Eureka!

Further testing proved that it's not any kind of trainer ID number. I monitored the value of CD2D throughout the procedure, and recorded how it changed:

Standing in front of door -> 0F
Gambler sees me as I fly away -> D9
Youngster sees me -> C9
Slowpoke comes out -> 15 (Mew's number)

When I tried fighting the northernmost Fisherman on Route 12 (who triggers a Tangela instead of Mew), here's what happened:

Standing in front of door -> 0F
Gambler sees me as I fly away -> D9
Fisherman sees me -> D6
Goldeen comes out -> 1E (Tangela's number)
Poliwag comes out -> 1A
Goldeen comes out -> 1E (Tangela's number)

Each Pokemon caused a different string of RAM values, starting from CD22:

Youngster's Slowpoke: 8E 11 00 3C 00 1E 00 1D 00 0C 00 15
Fisherman's Goldeen: 8E 16 00 37 00 26 00 22 00 24 00 1E
Fisherman's Poliwag: 8E 16 00 35 00 1E 00 1A 00 30 00 1A

I checked these numbers against the Pokemon's known attacks, but didn't find any matches. Then I looked at base stats. Still nothing. Then I tried the actual stats...

Possible stats for a wild level 17 Slowpoke:
HP: 57-62
Attack: 27-32
Defense: 27-32
Speed: 10-15
Special: 18-23

Youngster's Slowpoke data converted to decimal:

It's a match!

The Pokemon that you'll fight is the second byte of the last enemy Pokemon's Special stat.

This means that another trainer could trigger Mew if their last Pokemon (or a wild Pokemon) has a Special of either 21, 277, 533, or 789. (I don't think the last three are possible on enemy Pokemon without Growth or Amnesia.)

Incidentally, this also shows that the genes of enemy trainer Pokemon are fixed. In the case of the Youngster's Slowpoke, its Special gene is either 8 or 9.

And in another one of his later posts...

Big news! This trick can be used to easily get any Pokemon in the game, without having to search for trainers with the right Special stat on their last Pokemon.

1. Get a Pokemon with the right Special stat (21 for Mew, 131 for Mewtwo, etc).
2. Fly away from the Gambler.
3. Fight any trainer that will walk to you.
4. Find a wild Ditto and let it Transform into the Pokemon with the proper Special. (This will copy your Pokemon's Special stat into CD2D.)
5. Beat the Ditto (or just run away) and fly to Lavender.
6. Go west into Route 8, and the Pokemon that matches the Special you used will appear.

And later on...

21 decimal = 15 hex
131 decimal = 83 hex

15 is Mew's number, and 83 is Mewtwo's. In RBY, the hex numbers are all jumbled up (01 is Rhydon, 02 is Kangaskhan, etc). Unused numbers, like FE and FF, result in MissingNo. In GSC (and most of RS), they're in logical order (01 is Bulbasaur, 02 is Ivysaur, etc).

Look at a list of GameShark codes to see hex numbers for all the Pokemon.

---

Now all we need is a list of all the hexadecimal equivalents of the Pokémon numbers.

Umbreon*R*
1st May 2003, 06:39 AM
Yes,This code REALLY works...uhn...well...if you like to catch more Pokés,you can try...Trade Youngster for any other trainer...Here is some try I have do...

Bug Catcher+Butterfree from the route after Vermilion=Chansey
Rocket+Raticate+Hypno from Shilph Co. = Moltres

Go ahead and try...You can really complete your Pokédex with this code...but,if you try with some trainers,you game may freeze or can get a Big Bug...like the one I have do that makes me battle with a Super Nerd untill all my Pokés faint...

Charles Legend
1st May 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ron
Yes, it works for Blue, I don't know about Red. Man, this is so awesome. :) Yeah it dose work for red I just did it, So yeah I suport this code 100% as being the way to ceatch mew without a Game shark or Nintendo and I bet you this is also the the way Japan gets mew....;o :rolleyes:

~Ryu

The Muffin Man
1st May 2003, 09:31 PM
I've tried it on frameskip NINE...doesn't work for me...

BigBubb
2nd May 2003, 02:59 PM
*adds name to list of people who have done this*

Used my lvl28 Weepinbell and lvl12 Squirtle, if anyone's interested. On Blue.

soggy_cardboard
2nd May 2003, 06:28 PM
does this work on a ROM?
YES

does it still work if ya save on the ROM using shift+F1-9?? YES

i tested it out myself.

I've tried it on frameskip NINE...doesn't work for me... try frameskip ZERO :D

What i wanna see, is a complete list of which trainers give which pokemon.

so this code means that if u only have one GB/A (u cant trade) in theory, you could get a machamp/alakazam/etc:yes:

Porygon X
3rd May 2003, 01:27 AM
WOW!!! I just tried this on my red version and it worked! I transferred my Mew to my Silver just to get a Mew that hasn't got a stupid nickname which can't be changed.

The Muffin Man
3rd May 2003, 02:11 AM
Umm, Soggy...0 is smooth. 9 is the slowest/choppiest on VBA.

Josefina
4th May 2003, 09:12 AM
I am so happy... It worked! =)
After I got the mew, I started trying with other trainers: Pinsir, Gastly, and Arcanine appeared... =)

This discovery is so cool! :D

Another thing: I don't know why are you having problems at pressing start at the right time in front of the gambler... I have never missed... :confused:

Oh well... cya! :wave:

Cheesey
4th May 2003, 01:37 PM
I did this on the first try...This code is so cool! Unfortunately I went and fought the gambler afterwards so I can't do it again -_-
But my Mew rocks, I'm so glad I finally got one! I can't wait to show my friends, who probably won't believe me (I just like proving people wrong). 8) cool.

Gnight
4th May 2003, 01:44 PM
this isn't a "code" It's more like a glitch, like Missingno.

Cheesey
4th May 2003, 01:48 PM
Does it matter? Picky, picky... :P

ILikePokemonP
5th May 2003, 01:41 AM
I know someone's already mentioned it, but you can see a Missingno. with this trick/code/glitch. I know because I saw one today. So instead of going to the trainer with a slowpoke, I went to the trainer closest to the east entrance to Fuchsia City. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, it tried it twice with the same results.

First time, I was playing through stadium 2 so naturally, it said my file had been destroyed blah blah blah so the second time, I tried it on my Gba. It took twice as long to appear as the r/b normal Missingno. (must've been literally over 10 seconds, I thought my Gba was frozen) and the sprite was even stranger. (Someone can post a pic :wave: ) I ran and back in normal view, there was about 4 of me walking randomly around the screen. A few button presses later, I was completely invisible. Don't know what else it can do, but I didn't save.

pokefreak04
5th May 2003, 03:51 PM
I know I'm a little late on this, but I just tried it and it really worked! I did it on Blue, and then I transfered it to Red to beef it up and teach it some cool moves, and it is now on Team X, which is on my Silver version<Team X can be seen in my sig>. This Mew code is freakin awesome! I wonder if there is a similar glitch to get Celebi. My friend found a wild Celebi once, but I dont recall how he did it, I'll have to ask. Thanks to whoever provided the code.

SOMEONE5
6th May 2003, 02:40 PM
Would someone try that on g/s/c? It may just work because this glitch was found out only recently, and if nintendo didn't know about it, then they might have done it again in g/s/c. I can't try this because I'm out of batteries. I hope someone else would.

I think it wasn't found out until recently because it was too complicated to be found in the game's data(as something that triggers pokemon based on the last one you fought against, you'd have to scan all of the possible bugs in that cartridge, something almost impossible to do if you're not one of these which made the game - and if you were you'd probably have no problem in locating this kind of bugs, like the missingno glitch, or the glitched/numbers city). You'd have to be a programmer at nintendo to find that kind of a bug in the data.

Also, can someone find out who's the source of this info? that's the biggest mystery in this subject.
If it's a leak from nintendo, then we can all forget about seing this in g/s/c(or r/s for whoever is counting on it).

Sakura12
9th May 2003, 06:56 AM
Hmm... I might try sometime soon, but after I complete my Ru/Sa versions...

SOMEONE5
9th May 2003, 09:52 AM
Then try it in R/S first please. Now I have my batteries, but I can see - by trying to do the code on the few trainers left in my game(silver) that want to battle - that they notice you right on the spot, and if you somehow do suceed to open the menu(I didn't manage to), flying will make everyone around you disappear(all the people), because that's how fly works in g/s/c, so maybe using sweet scent would do the job if the menu would somehow open, but because you can't stay there, I suggest to use dig infront of trainers in caves(that doesn't make them disappear).
I hope someone(like you Sakura12) tries this on R/S, because I saw that fly doesn't make the people around you disappear in these version, so the glitch might repeat in these R/S. I prefer not to do this, because I'll need to start a new game(and go far enough to have fly and surf with me), while you(Sakura 12) can try it right away.
If you try it, and it doesn't work for you walking towards a trainer, then maybe try it on a trainer walking towards you.

It looks like it has a better chance to exist in R/S then on g/s/c, believe it or not.

Ninetales3001
10th May 2003, 01:34 AM
That code is really neat. I'd try it if I had the game, but the video was enough evidence for me. ^^;

Has anyone ever thought that the programmers of the game may have programmed it in on purpose? Who knows?

Gnight
10th May 2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Ninetales3001
That code is really neat. I'd try it if I had the game, but the video was enough evidence for me. ^^;

Has anyone ever thought that the programmers of the game may have programmed it in on purpose? Who knows?

i dont think so

Jay
10th May 2003, 03:58 AM
The process of getting Mew seems too complicated for it to be programmed into the game. There is always that possibility but it's very unlikely

Luckily I already have a Mew that I got from Japan many years ago, so I don't need to restart any of my versions again yay

ShinyVulpix
10th May 2003, 04:26 AM
I've tried it in yellow version
But when I use this code with the swimmer (the one that looking at the house)
under the FUSHIEA CITY(the one with GYM 5)
When I fly back to LAVENDER TOWN and go to ROUTE 8 and fight the pokemon
The screen turns dark ,playing the fighting sound
But the screen still dark
And a moment later it screw up my game

:(

Gnight
10th May 2003, 05:47 AM
*looks @ ur signature* who doesn't like arcaine

POKEMASTERMARIO
10th May 2003, 02:24 PM
Which pkmn make missigno appear?
Because it also works in the european versions and missigno was quitted from them,maybe with this trick there can be a way to have an spanish missigno :D

Gnight
10th May 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by POKEMASTERMARIO
Which pkmn make missigno appear?
Because it also works in the european versions and missigno was quitted from them,maybe with this trick there can be a way to have an spanish missigno :D

battle teh rocker south from lavendertown

GSAce789
13th May 2003, 05:52 PM
Wow, this code really works. I've never tried any others, cause I knew they were all bs, but since I was restarting my game anyhoo, I didn't battle those two guys and gave it a try.
Well, a few days later, here it is. And believe me, Mew is worth it.
Here's mine's stats, 30 levels later:

MEW level 37- 130 HP
ATTACK: 96 DEFENSE: 90
SPEED:90 SPECIAL: 92

Very good everything, high HP for it's level, yada yada...

Pokemaster Cody
13th May 2003, 06:08 PM
Question: Does this work on the Jappanese Red/Green?

Kari and Mewtwo
13th May 2003, 08:24 PM
heres another question: Are the DVs for this mew randomly calculated or is it all the same? (i'm assuming its random)

Sakura12
14th May 2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by GSAce789
Wow, this code really works. I've never tried any others, cause I knew they were all bs, but since I was restarting my game anyhoo, I didn't battle those two guys and gave it a try.
Well, a few days later, here it is. And believe me, Mew is worth it.
Here's mine's stats, 30 levels later:

MEW level 37- 130 HP
ATTACK: 96 DEFENSE: 90
SPEED:90 SPECIAL: 92

Very good everything, high HP for it's level, yada yada...

It works? Amazing! It's just like magic!

Profesor_Rod
14th May 2003, 05:23 PM
DV's must be random. there is no doubt. You are very lucky GSace. Did you searched the mew? I think it may took at least 20 tries.

God of Fire
17th May 2003, 12:54 PM
I let my friend shark me a mew on my yellow game but it's horribly glitched up (it says 'Pikachu') so I'd love to check this code out and get myself a legit one. However I value my game files so I'll go and ask my friend to try this out.

Lynx Wolverina
19th May 2003, 10:18 AM
look, a mew code only one is real, and that is the one where you go to gambler, fly away, defeat youngsta, get on route between lavender and saffron in anyway and cathc sttupid mew on level 7.
my mew is now on lvl 58, I do not train it much.
Look, I posted this thread so many times and nobody wouldnt believe...well, someone cant believe, someone has a mew.
I started new game to get mew. I traded my bests to silver, then I didnt even miss them, becuz I hate my Blue since I had a missingno...
If you defeat some channelers instead of youngster, Missingno appears. Some other trainers make Scyther, Pinsir, other pkmn appear.

HEY I LOVE ARCANINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!§
I named my friend Arcadilly!
And Darcanine sounds good too, doznt it...

Gnight
19th May 2003, 12:35 PM
i like your sig, dude!!:D that's the coolest pic of mewtwo i've seen yet

Lynx Wolverina
22nd May 2003, 02:24 PM
you meant me?
oh Im so pleased!
please dont call me dude as I hate it.
I love my sig too,,I didnt mean to cause my beloved wolverine to look at mewtwo!

drgntamer
23rd May 2003, 10:30 PM
Faithless

The process of getting Mew seems too complicated for it to be programmed into the game. There is always that possibility but it's very unlikely

You Probably have it the wrong way around. If they programmed Mew in the game, chances are you would have to beat the Elite Four 10000000 times, or do some of the other weird stuff codes say. Then, when the person finaly gets the right code, everyone thinks they are just crazy. <evil laugh in background>

Lynx Wolverina
24th May 2003, 05:39 AM
IF THERE IS ANYONE LEFT ON WORLD WHO DOZ NOT BELIEVE, I CAN TELL U THAT IT WORKS. AND MILLION TRAINERS CAN TOO.

this is just a noooote

RaZoR LeAf
24th May 2003, 08:32 AM
Yes thank you for that little outburst Lynx, but if people choose not to beleive now then it's their own problem. I'd imagine a 10 page topic full of people saying it works, just on this board, let alone, similar things on pokemon boards all over would be enough to convince them, without you posting pointlessly.

Gnight
24th May 2003, 08:55 AM
yeah ya'll sure convienced me

CobaltDragon
26th May 2003, 08:15 AM
Oh wow!!! It really does work!! I was so pissed when I lost my Nintendo-Mew by forgetting to put in the N64 Box and starting a new game!! And the best thing is, its OT is me!! TuT I got a Lv. 7 Mew and I'm so happy! I finally completed my Gold Pokedex! That took a long time...

Red Gyrados Trainer
27th May 2003, 04:11 AM
It works! Ha! well what do you know! :o :yes: looks like iwont be neading this cheat cartridge *throws cheat cartridge out of the window* 8)

pokehimon
3rd June 2003, 01:06 AM
*walks under a window and gets hit in the head by a cheating cartridge*
Hey! A cheat cartridge! I've always wanted one of these.
Oh and the other day I completed my blue pokedex without any means of out game trading at all! :yes:

Seraphymon
8th June 2003, 12:42 PM
This is the most amazing thing ever. I'm stuck at work right now, and I just heard about this, and I'm dying to get home and get myself a Mew!!! Has anyone else had any problems with it not learning moves as it levels up, or whatever? One person said they raised it, it didn't learn anything, then suddenly s/he had a level 50 Mew in his/her box. Was this just a weird glitch on that person's own cart, or is it like that all the time?

Swinubman53
8th June 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Seraphymon
This is the most amazing thing ever. I'm stuck at work right now, and I just heard about this, and I'm dying to get home and get myself a Mew!!! Has anyone else had any problems with it not learning moves as it levels up, or whatever? One person said they raised it, it didn't learn anything, then suddenly s/he had a level 50 Mew in his/her box. Was this just a weird glitch on that person's own cart, or is it like that all the time?

that was me. I dunno if anyone else had that thing happen or if I was just extremely lucky. whatever. *goes off to eat something*

Crystalmaster Mike
9th June 2003, 09:17 AM
Yeah, so I got myself a Mew too. And now I'm trying to find out what other Pokémon you can get through the code. So far, when in Saffron, battling against Gary:

- getting defeated by his Gyarados: MissingNo. / ## M' ##
- " " " " Alakazam: Vaporeon (good thing if ya got another Eevolution)

I've also captured a Hitmonlee though I don't know how. Also, the sentences you sometimes get are funny!!

- "You look good at Pokémon, but how's your chem?" Vaporeon/MissingNo. (what's a chem anyway?)
- "I'm better at school than this!" Hitmonlee

Gloom
9th June 2003, 12:00 PM
Well, after finally catching Mew (I finally got the heart to erase my Blue file), I decided to do some experimenting, and these are my results so far:

First Fisherman south of Lavender: Tangela
The Pokémaniac just north of Lavender: Tentacool

As soon as I figure out more, I'll post more here.

pokehimon
11th June 2003, 03:05 AM
You don't need to battle different trainers to get the pokemon you want. It all depends on the special stat of the last pokemon you battle. Read this or copy it and read it:

1. Fly to Celadon City. Go right, then take the Underground Path. Upon emerging on the other side, you can save the game (recommended).

2. Press Down, then as soon as your character starts moving, hit Start. Fly to the city of your choice...

3. There should be a trainer who attempts to battle (fortunately for you, your Flyer will prevent the battle from occurring). If he doesn't express intent to fight, then you already battled that trainer. You'll have to start a new game to get extra Pokemon if this is so, so drop everything into a 64 Box now.

4. Go out and find a battle. This could be a trainer battle, or it could be a wild Pokemon (though it's harder to control the final outcome in the wild). Just remember: Until you initiate a battle, the A/B/Start buttons will be unresponsive, so Gym Leaders don't work.

5. Before battling, be sure to put one square's worth of distance between you and a trainer (otherwise, you'll get a frozen game and will have to retry the sequence).

6. Win the battle. If you're opting for wild Pokemon, you CAN initiate multiple battles until you find the Pokemon you want.

7. Fly back to Saffron. Walk 1 step down, 27 steps right, 13 steps up, then 4 steps right. (In other words, head toward the eastern guard post.)

8. Why did the Pause menu pop up out of nowhere? Because there's someone on route 8 who's still waiting for a battle! Hit B anyway.

9. Wild Pokemon appeared! Normally, it's only L7, so catching it should be no problem. Cases of levels anywhere from 5-10 have been heard of.

10. After catching, you can save the game, then go back and repeat the entire sequence. The Gambler will still want to battle, and you can still Fly away at the last minute. This can get you as many free Pokemon of your choice...

But what determines who you fight?

Luckily, we know now. The opponent is determined by the Special stat of the last Pokemon you fought.
Here's the chart:
1 - Rhydon
2 - Kangaskhan
3 - NidoranM
4 - Clefairy
( ^ Note: No Pokemon can ever have a natural Special stat below 5.)
5 - Spearow
6 - Voltorb
7 - Nidoking
8 - Slowbro
9 - Ivysaur
10 - Exeggutor
11 - Lickitung
12 - Exeggcute
13 - Grimer
14 - Gengar
15 - NidoranF
16 - Nidoqueen
17 - Cubone
18 - Rhyhorn
19 - Lapras
20 - Arcanine
21 - Mew
22 - Gyarados
23 - Shellder
24 - Tentacool
25 - Gastly
26 - Scyther
27 - Staryu
28 - Blastoise
29 - Pinsir
30 - Tangela
33 - Growlithe
34 - Onix
35 - Fearow
36 - Pidgey
37 - Slowpoke
38 - Kadabra
39 - Graveler
40 - Chansey
41 - Machoke
42 - Mr. Mime
43 - Hitmonlee
44 - Hitmonchan
45 - Arbok
46 - Parasect
47 - Psyduck
48 - Drowzee
49 - Golem
51 - Magmar
52 - Mankey
53 - Electabuzz
54 - Magneton
55 - Koffing
58 - Seel
59 - Diglett
60 - Tauros
64 - Farfetch'd
65 - Venonat
66 - Dragonite
70 - Doduo
71 - Poliwag
72 - Jynx
73 - Moltres
74 - Articuno
75 - Zapdos
76 - Ditto
77 - Meowth
78 - Krabby
82 - Vulpix
83 - Ninetales
84 - Pikachu
85 - Raichu
88 - Dratini
89 - Dragonair
90 - Kabuto
91 - Kabutops
92 - Horsea
93 - Seadra
96 - Sandshrew
97 - Sandslash
98 - Omanyte
99 - Omastar
100 - Jigglypuff
101 - Wigglytuff
102 - Eevee
103 - Flareon
104 - Jolteon
105 - Vaporeon
106 - Machop
107 - Zubat
108 - Ekans
109 - Paras
110 - Poliwhirl
111 - Poliwrath
112 - Weedle
113 - Kakuna
114 - Beedrill
116 - Dodrio
117 - Primeape
118 - Dugtrio
119 - Venomoth
120 - Dewgong
123 - Caterpie
124 - Metapod
125 - Butterfree
126 - Machamp
128 - Golduck
129 - Hypno
130 - Golbat
131 - Mewtwo
132 - Snorlax
133 - Magikarp
136 - Muk
138 - Kingler
139 - Cloyster
141 - Electrode
142 - Clefable
143 - Weezing
144 - Persian
145 - Marowak
147 - Haunter
148 - Abra
149 - Alakazam
150 - Pidgeotto
151 - Pidgeot
152 - Starmie
153 - Bulbasaur
154 - Venusaur
155 - Tentacruel
157 - Goldeen
158 - Seaking
163 - Ponyta
164 - Rapidash
165 - Rattata
166 - Raticate
167 - Nidorino
168 - Nidorina
169 - Geodude
170 - Porygon
171 - Aerodactyl
173 - Magnemite
176 - Charmander
177 - Squirtle
178 - Charmeleon
179 - Wartortle
180 - Charizard
185 - Oddish
186 - Gloom
187 - Vileplume
188 - Bellsprout
189 - Weepinbell
190 - Victreebel
Other numbers - Missingno.
Numbers above 232 - Trainers

BUT HOW DO WE CONTROL SPECIAL STATS?

Normally, you can't. But you CAN take advantage of the fact that a given trainer's Pokemon have the same stats in EVERY game.

The first known Trainer that yielded something important was a Youngster on route 25 (between Cerulean City and Bill's house). The single L17 Slowpoke had a Special stat of 21, and as you can see, 21 is the key to Mew.
For convenience, a picture of the Youngster's location can be found at http://white-cat.virtualave.net/pfiles/catchmew4.gif.

Remember, you MUST LEAVE AT LEAST ONE SQUARE OF SPACE.

Any Pokemon whose key number is 128 or higher can be picked up via the Cinnabar Coast Trick, but this method gets them too. Just find a Pokemon with a high enough Special. However, that can be difficult...
For Mewtwo, with number of 131, that gets tricky. No trainer short of the Elite Four, Sabrina (Yellow), or Blaine (also Yellow) carries a 131-Special Pokemon, and those six can't be triggered on inactive A/B/Start buttons. You could explore the Unknown Dungeon, where Kadabra yields a 1/16 chance of hitting the magic number. But don't we want higher odds?

First off, why depend on the OPPONENT having the target Special? Figure out who you want, find its Key Number, then catch something of your OWN and make sure its Special is just right. Put it in slot 1.

Next...Fight a Ditto. Use a timewasting move. Ditto will transform, and acquire your Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special stats.

But since you already chose your Special very carefully, you can now kill the Ditto and the number that's saved will be exactly what you want it to be!

Then go back to Saffron and step 7. If you found Ditto in Unknown Dungeon, you'll have to Dig or Escape Rope out to make sure you don't enter another battle (which will change the number, and therefore the Pokemon).

Finally, see Rhydon, Kangaskhan, NidoranM, and Clefairy? Their numbers are so low that it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get a Special to match them. But don’t worry, it’s still possible to acquire any one of them with the trick.

How? Well, the opponent is determined by Special, but since PokemonToAppear is only an 8-bit trigger, it’s only the last 8 bits of Special. If you add 256 to the numbers, their corresponding Pokemon are identical. So you can think of Rhydon as having a key number of 257, Kangaskhan 258, etc. Even beyond the first four, this +256 will work (so that if you want another Eevee, but don’t have a 102-Special Pokemon handy, your full-stat Gengar will work just as well).

Note, though, that since even L70 Mewtwo tops out at 241, you’ll have to Ditto the numbers in to use this. That shouldn’t be so hard, should it?

Enjoy :D

Gnight
11th June 2003, 03:51 AM
where did u get this info? O_O

pokehimon
12th June 2003, 03:06 AM
I think its from gamefaqs, enjoy. :D

Amphatoast
14th June 2003, 10:37 PM
How can you figure out the special stat of your pokemon?

Crystalmaster Mike
15th June 2003, 02:00 AM

You go to stats, and there it is, along with Attack, Defense, Speed...

Amphatoast
15th June 2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Crystalmaster Mike

You go to stats, and there it is, along with Attack, Defense, Speed...

hmmm, so your saying if I go and fight a tentacool & kill it and its special attack was 74, I would end up fighting a level 7 Articuno?

Crystalmaster Mike
16th June 2003, 05:26 AM
If you just fought a trainer, or that Tentacool was a trainer's, then yes.

Say, could there be a limit to the amount of times you can do the trick? Cause I've never fought the Gambler, but now it says he did... Maybe it's because I've caught two the same Pokémon, two Magnetons?

pokehimon
17th June 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Crystalmaster Mike
If you just fought a trainer, or that Tentacool was a trainer's, then yes.

Say, could there be a limit to the amount of times you can do the trick? Cause I've never fought the Gambler, but now it says he did... Maybe it's because I've caught two the same Pokémon, two Magnetons?

No, that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Err, if you cant battle the gambler you can also do the trick with the trainer to his left I think. Also there is a limit, you can only do this trick when you fight a trainer, and there's only so many trainers in the game.

Lugia Trainer
18th June 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by pokehimon
there's only so many trainers in the game.

Well, if fighting your rival at Indigo Plateau would trigger it, then shouldn't it last?

I'm still in shock at the posibility that, all along, there's been is a way to get Mew besides sharking!

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I will as soon as I can locate my blue cartridge...

pokehimon
20th June 2003, 02:10 AM
No, to fight a trainer while doing this trick, the trainer must walk to you. You cant talk to trainers (or use any of your buttons actually) therefore you wouldn't be able to get past Lorelie, youd be stuck in the room with her. Believe me, i've tried it. :D

Lugia Trainer
20th June 2003, 07:12 AM
oh. darn.

Metarubeceramon
27th June 2003, 02:04 PM
Can you use the Mew Glitch on Red and Blue? Does it work?

TeleFox
27th June 2003, 07:24 PM
Yep, the code works on R/B/Y titles.

OK! After finally wading through this entire post, I have a few interesting points:

1) As I think Gnight said, you can get Missingno. this way, probably even on Yellow, just by battling the right trainer! As far as I know, all the Channellers in the Pokémon tower yield Missingno., but I'm sure many other battles will do so as well.

2) Talking to people after the battle causes the re-appearance of the Start menu (when you go back to Route whatever) to be replaced by a nearby trainer's speech. You can get some pretty funny random messages ^-^

3) A few people are having trouble getting the timing right. I've found it MUCH easier to get Start to work if I'm on the Bike, so give it a try.

4) The BlackBelts in the Fighting Dojo can cause some pretty rare Pokémon to appear. I've got Psyduck, Electabuzz and... Mr. Mime! Wild! I think it was the second BlackBelt in from the door that gives you Mr. Mime.

5) After you've used Fly, but before you initiate a trainer battle, when you try and talk to people they just stare at you and don't say anything o_O ...pointless, but I thought I'd mention it, since 5 points is a better number than 4.

Oh yeah, and where do you get the MasterBall? I can't remember...

Dogman
27th June 2003, 08:01 PM
Sliph Co.

TeleFox
27th June 2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks, now I just need to remember how to get rid of those Rockets at the door...
I hope I don't need the Pokéflute first 'cos then I'll have to battle all those Channellers and I won't be able to use them for Missingno. to multiply the MasterBall.

Dogman
28th June 2003, 06:32 AM
Sorry,you must get the pokeflute to enter,because the rocket will be sleeping once you get the flute,but you can dodge SOME of the Channellers.

RaZoR LeAf
28th June 2003, 06:35 AM
You need to have beaten the Rockets everywhere else first. I.E. Celadon and Lavender. You can go through Lavender Tower without fighting all the Chanellers.

You could also skip as many trainers as possible and do the missingno trick at Cinnibar.

Mewdude
1st July 2003, 06:27 PM
I sent it into Nintendo and i got a reply

Hi there,
Thanks for your e-mail. To answer your question, no, that is not a real cheat.

As you know, there are countless web sites on the Internet that post Nintendo news and information. Many of these independent web sites take the liberty of posting news based on rumors, speculation, or assumptions--and that is just fine. We understand that Nintendo fans are eager for as much new information as possible!

However, as a publicly traded company in Japan, Nintendo has a responsibility to those who rely on us as a manufacturer (retailers, suppliers, employees, stockholders, etc.) to be the most accurate source of information on the latest Nintendo products. Only when information is official can we comment on it.

Therefore, the information fans will see on our official web site will always be confirmed, reliable information from official Nintendo sources and press releases. Although officially confirmed information can still change from time to time (like product release dates), Nintendo's own web sites will be the most current official source for all Nintendo news and information.

On Nintendo.com, we also strive to provide as much information as possible on upcoming games and accessories that are made by other companies and licensed for use with our systems. However, because these products are not produced or sold by Nintendo, we may not have all of the latest details. In these cases, we recommend that fans visit the web site for the actual company who produces the product in question, or contact them directly for the latest news.
One more thing, I wanted to let you know that we are inviting all of our consumers with Internet access to sign-up for a My Nintendo membership. As a member of this program, you can view the status of any order, repair, or subscription you set up with us. You can also maintain your subscription account (update addresses, review your account history, etc.). Plus, you can keep us up to date on your game preferences, the systems you own, and the type of information you want to receive via our exclusive e-mail newsletters. To become a registered member (which is free), go to www.nintendo.com and click on the "My Nintendo" icon located on the right-side of the screen.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Lauren Taylor

They didnt even try it out, what a bunch of jerks!

Gnight
1st July 2003, 08:15 PM
well, DUH!!!!!!! mewdude, did u really think that was a real cheat?? the keyword is "glitch"

Mewdude
1st July 2003, 10:53 PM
My friend has a question

But now a thought occurs. What if you were to trade this Mew to a G/S/C game? Would it scew stuffs up, like when MISSINGNO is traded? Tmakes me wonder....

Makes me wonder too...

Gnight
1st July 2003, 11:32 PM
though i havent trained my L7 mew(i already had one), i think there's nothin wrong with it. i've herd somwhere that it wont learn anymroe attacks untill u trade it somwhre, but i dont think that's true

Crystalmaster Mike
2nd July 2003, 06:02 AM
Nah, nothing happens. The critter learns moves on which ever version you own. I caught in on Red, where it has already learnt Transform, Mega Punch and Metronome, and I traded it to Silver when I just caught it - nothing was screwed up - and duplicated it, for Red, and for Yellow and Crystal, which my lil' brother's playing. And those Mews learned normal moves as well, as well as TMs (of course).

Mewdude
2nd July 2003, 06:17 PM
'nother way to get it

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/rbcatchmew.html

The Muffin Man
5th July 2003, 04:01 PM
Umm...My mews lvl 17 now and it STILL only has Pound and Swift(TM of course)...will it EVER learn any moves if I don't trade it?

Charizard04621
5th July 2003, 08:15 PM
Doesn't Mew learn stuff at LV10 intervals?

The Muffin Man
5th July 2003, 11:03 PM
I know that Karin.

Lvl 10 Transform
lvl 20 Mega Punch
Lvl 30 Metronome
lvl 40 Psychic

What I'm saying is my Mew, who started at lvl 7, did NOT learn Transform.

Gnight
6th July 2003, 12:56 AM
maybe you should trade it

Xx_PokeOmega_xX
6th July 2003, 08:27 PM
im not sure if this has been posted or not when u get to curelean heal and go on nugget bridge defeat all trainers on nugget bridge and the first trainer going right save then go back to nuggget bridge then go left on route 25 without being seen by the trainer in the grass catch a abra go up far enough not to see the trainer in the grass go down and press start before he see's you then teleport go back on nugget bridge and go right avoid all trainers fight the fourth trainer (its the youngster with the slowpoke) teleport and walk on nugget bridge start will pop up press b and mew appears

Crystalmaster Mike
7th July 2003, 05:29 AM
Say, does that work?

'Nyways, I found out where the two messages I got came from ("You look good at Pokémon, but how's your chem?" and "I'm better at school than this!"): they're the Challenge and Defeat Phrase, respectively, of that PokéManiac at the left of the Gambler!

ILikePokemonP
7th July 2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man

I know that Karin.

Lvl 10 Transform
lvl 20 Mega Punch
Lvl 30 Metronome
lvl 40 Psychic

What I'm saying is my Mew, who started at lvl 7, did NOT learn Transform. It might be something to do with how it's levelled up. My official mew did not learn transform and it may be because I think it skipped level 10 (i.e went from level 9 to level 11 in one battle). This issue was fixed in G/S I believe.

dragonviper9054
7th July 2003, 07:54 PM
you guys now the mew code listed at the first page? That the thread was for? Well it works for me until I get to the mew. The mew in my blue version is a nidoqueen! Where the mew is supposed to be its a nidoqueen.

RaZoR LeAf
8th July 2003, 08:47 AM
dragonviper9054 - o0, are you sure you've got the right trainer? If it doesn't work, you can try restarting your game and doing it again, or maybe try the trainer that Xx_PokeOmega_xX suggested.

Nace
19th July 2003, 03:10 AM
Has anybody made a list of which trainers give you which pokemon? I'd like to get an electabuzz in yellow (I've already got a magmar :D)

RaZoR LeAf
19th July 2003, 09:04 AM
First post on page 11

kikaider01
25th July 2003, 06:20 AM
My brother caught Mew in his Blue version and trained it to level 14. It learned Transform at level 10 like it's supposed to. Then he traded it to my Crystal. It is now level 56 and I have not had any problems with it. It learned all its attacks at the right levels (or tried, at least) and it hasn't messed up my game at all. It seems to be just like any other Pokémon.

mvtm
25th July 2003, 04:34 PM
I caught my mew , in blue and it isnt messed up , its great , it has all stats the same so i think its shiny !! well i have to check that on PS2 , lol this is like my 9th mew , i have gameshark , but its the first "legal". ;)

Warahyuu
7th August 2003, 01:22 AM
i just caught it a few minutes ago in my red version. It WORKS! I'm so happy :) *dances around*

Trainer_BluE
8th August 2003, 11:15 PM
Hey, that's really cool that it works! Took a while to figure out huh? Well Done.:yes:

ShinyVulpix
6th September 2003, 05:41 AM
I've used that code and it's helped me a lot.(on yellow)
I've a Mew.Now it's level is 40 and it learns all the move that Mew
was supposed to know at right level.
Then I've tried that code again with as many trainer as I can.
Noe I've got Arcanine,GenGar,Electabuzz,Magmar too

Mew2K
16th September 2003, 05:26 PM
As u can see from my name, im a HUGE Mew fan. I have a few illegitimate Mews, but this'll be my first real one. I have too much homework right now, but I'll try it out later. Yipee!

Skitty_Pelliper
28th September 2003, 10:54 AM
If anyone wants proof,click down there:D.
http://ps.klikster.com/index.php?ps=yellow-videos

internal dragon
8th October 2003, 07:32 PM
I just tried it out and it really works! *Hugs Ampatoast* I'm naming my first born son after you! (I wonder if you can do the same thing for Celebi on G/S/C...)

-xDigitalAngelx-
10th November 2003, 12:51 AM
i'm so glad that you guys have made a topic about this "cheat" i just found out about it on pokemonelite 2000 and came here to ask you guys if it works!

could anyone tell me if this "cheat" has any weird side effects to the game? my blue version was ruined by Missingno and i dunt want the same thing to happen to my Red version

Gnight
10th November 2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by -xDigitalAngelx-
i'm so glad that you guys have made a topic about this "cheat" i just found out about it on pokemonelite 2000 and came here to ask you guys if it works!

could anyone tell me if this "cheat" has any weird side effects to the game? my blue version was ruined by Missingno and i dunt want the same thing to happen to my Red version

i dont think it affects your game badly. i havent bothered training the one i've caught with the mew glitch concidering i already sharked one up prior to hereing about it. but i've herd that that mew wont learn any more attacks. im sure the others have trained this mew and can tell you if this is true or not.

Bob54321
10th November 2003, 09:07 AM
There is no problem - it is just a normal pokemon.

Nace
11th November 2003, 01:40 AM
If you're unlucky enough to get missingno. using the cheat in yellow, it freezes the game. That's the only glitch.

-xDigitalAngelx-
11th November 2003, 04:13 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys now i'm going back to catching mew!!!

TeleFox
11th November 2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Nace
If you're unlucky enough to get missingno. using the cheat in yellow, it freezes the game. That's the only glitch.

Awww... I thought there was finally a way to dupe items in Yellow...
It's my sister that has Yellow tho, I've got Red so I guess no major problem there anyway, it would've been useful tho.

Kari and Mewtwo
11th January 2004, 04:49 PM
heh. See how much of an impact my video had on the whole community? When this first came about, everyone believed it was just another false SS Anne-esque rumor. Now because of my video, its accepted as legit.

And I have yet to get any credit for it.

Kari and Mewtwo
11th January 2004, 04:57 PM
also, in response to the email from NOA, did you at least provide the link to the video file proving that it works? Because I'm just hoping NOA isn't being stubborn and automatically thinking its just another stupid truck-code thing. Besides that, with the video i provided back in April, this whole Mew trick cannot be denied. Since NOA is denying it, they ARE being stubborn.

Lugia's_Master
17th January 2004, 05:59 AM
sorry if this has already been asked but can u still do the trick if you have fought the old man on r8 and the youngster or r24?

Charizard04621
17th January 2004, 08:50 AM
Not for Mew, no. You would have to restart your game.

Suicune12
21st January 2004, 06:22 AM
What's better than legitamitely (sp?) getting a Mew?
Legitamitely getting TWO Mews!
I traded my Mew to Crystal, then traded it back - but I used the RBY duplication glitch, so now there's a Mew in both games (I would've just done the easier GS duplication trick, but it doesn't work in Crystal).

Lugia's_Master, it is possible to still get a Mew. Just substitute some other trainer who walks up to you for the Gambler, and Fly away. Now, battle some other trainer that walks up to you and whose Pokemon's Special will get you a Mew. There's also another way: Fight any trainer after you fly away from the original one, and do something involving battling a wild Pokemon with a Ditto that has the Special necessary to get you a Mew.

RaZoR LeAf
21st January 2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Suicune12
What's better than legitamitely (sp?) getting a Mew?
Legitamitely getting TWO Mews!
I traded my Mew to Crystal, then traded it back - but I used the RBY duplication glitch, so now there's a Mew in both games (I would've just done the easier GS duplication trick, but it doesn't work in Crystal).

Lugia's_Master, it is possible to still get a Mew. Just substitute some other trainer who walks up to you for the Gambler, and Fly away. Now, battle some other trainer that walks up to you and whose Pokemon's Special will get you a Mew. There's also another way: Fight any trainer after you fly away from the original one, and do something involving battling a wild Pokemon with a Ditto that has the Special necessary to get you a Mew.

If you're going to explain it at all, please explain it in detail rather than giving out small peices of information.

Andrew
26th January 2004, 04:19 AM
I too am a happy owner of a new Mew :)

After playing through for 12 hours I could perform the code and obtain my new Mew (Dawn)

So my Buffy Theme Team is complete :D

Buffy - Clefable
Dawn - Mew
Riley - Growlithe
Giles - Blastoise
Willow - Hypno
Xander - Primape

Huzzah for this code!

LatiosMaster
14th February 2004, 01:14 PM
Sweet, ive allready captured mew as soon as i had the chance.

Pokemon Yellow team
Charzard Lv 56
Venasaur Lv56
Blastoise Lv56
Mew Lv 50
Mewtwo Lv 80
Primeape Lv 49

SoulBurner
21st February 2004, 06:37 PM
I know it does work... I have been doing it for quite a long time. But did you know that Mew isn't the only thing you will run into? If you fight a different trainer and leave lavender, you will get a different pokemon..... ;)

Charizard04621
21st February 2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by SoulBurner
I know it does work... I have been doing it for quite a long time. But did you know that Mew isn't the only thing you will run into? If you fight a different trainer and leave lavender, you will get a different pokemon..... ;)

Yeah, that's been mentioned before in this thread, swimming somewhere in the sea of posts.

Mew2K
21st March 2004, 06:44 PM
Hmm, can someone give me a link to this code that works? I saw it once a long time ago, but now the link is bad. Must be too old.

Poryhedron
21st March 2004, 09:12 PM
It's right here in this topic. Go back to page 1 of this topic and start reading; the 'code' (actually a glitch you can exploit if you do it right) is posted in its entirety right on page 1, though it isn't the first post.

pokemasterfrank
27th March 2004, 08:28 PM
Hmm...

I'm really late...but...It works? lol

Anyway, I tried it on some random trainers, and if you fight the gambler, then go to the Youngster found closest to the top of the route to the right of Vermillion City, you will find a Shellder o_O

Also, for people with Blue version, the gambler closest to the left opening of the same route stated above yields a Growlithe :o

*wanders off*

Kari and Mewtwo
29th March 2004, 08:16 PM
Dunno if this was already mentioned, but it seems nintendo caught onto this trick and removed it from Fr/Lg

Poryhedron
29th March 2004, 09:06 PM
They wouldn't have "removed" it per se. Fire Red/Leaf Green was not created by adjusting Red/Blue; it was built from the ground up. It's a whole new game that happens to be just like the old one in many ways. There's really no reason for any of Red/Blue's numerous glitches, such as Missingno. and the sixth-item duplication, to be in Fire Red/Leaf Green.

phantomness
15th April 2004, 11:53 AM
I have tried the Mew code on Team Rocket Rockin's Missingno page, and it does work with that particular trainer, as you will get Mew. However, trying the same code while fighting other trainers, I have gotten Lv. 7 Moltres, Pinsir, Poliwag, Psyduck, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Kadabra, Machoke, Drowzee, Omanyte, Electabuzz, Chansey, Growlithe, Venonat, Pidgey, Magmar, Magneton, Ditto, Slowpoke, Dragonite, Mankey, Tentacool, Raticate, Parasect, Mr. Mime, and Seel.

WARNING: on some trainers, if you try the Mew cheat your screen will just go black. You can however undo this by fighting more than one trainer before going back to Lavendar. Different combinations often produce different pokemon.

Deviou$
18th April 2004, 01:11 AM
Actually, the Pokémon you get to fight is determined by the Special of the last Pokémon you fought before it. Also, it is possible to do this with ANY trainer that sees you the moment they appear onscreen, with ANY escape device (in the area that it works. Escape devices include Dig, Fly, Teleport and Escape Rope) and with ANY trainer that walks to you to fight. You just won't always get Mew ^_^ You'll get other level 7 Pokémon, and their in-game values (not Pokédex values - rather, a weird order the game uses that I'm guessing is the order the Pokémon were created, but I'm probably wrong) correspond to the Special of the last fought Pokémon.

Is this confusing? I'll explain the Gambler/Youngster scenario then. You Fly away from the Gambler and then fight the Youngster. The Youngster's last Pokémon is Slowpoke, whose Special is 21. You then go to Gambler's area (route 8) and Start pops up. You press B and you fight Mew!

Well, Mew happens to be number 21 in the in-game order. The reason you fight Mew instead of, say, Lickitung is that the Special of the last Pokémon you fought (the Slowpoke) is 21, not 11 (which is Lickitung's value).

And Gambler's not the only one you can escape from. In my new Blue version, my team is Wartortle, Gengar, Exeggutor, Clefable and Rhyhorn....and they're levels 9-22 and I'm at Mt. Moon. There's a Rocket there that challenges you the moment he appears on the screen, and I can Escape Rope from him. Since the last Pokémon I'm going to fight (likely a Zubat, Geodude, Paras or Clefairy, unless I somehow don't fight any wild Pokémon) have limited special, I can't yet bust out Mewtwo and own everyone - but I do get a decent range of rare Pokémon including Ivysaur, Exeggutor, Lickitung, Gengar, Nidoqueen and Lapras.

One thing to note is that if Ditto copies you, it gets your Pokémon's Special value, allowing you to control exactly what Pokémon you get. This was mentioned in the Azure Heights topic.

After you lose control of your buttons, you can go back to the area where you escaped from the trainer - but they will not challenge you! In fact, I don't think anything will interact with you in the same area you escaped from. This may be useful for getting by the guard to Saffron early, or doing other stuff that involves getting by trainers or guards.

Here are some Special values for a few Pokémon:

Ivysaur: 9
Gengar: 14
Mew: 21
Blastoise: 28
Chansey: 40
Golem: 49
Magmar: 51
Electabuzz: 53
Moltres: 73
Articuno: 74
Zapdos: 75
Eevee: 102
Flareon: 103
Jolteon: 104
Vaporeon: 105
Machamp: 126
Mewtwo: 131
Snorlax: 132
Alakazam: 149
Bulbasaur: 153
Venusaur: 154
Porygon: 170
Aerodactyl: 171
Charmander: 176
Squirtle: 177
Charmeleon: 178
Wartortle: 179
Charizard: 180

EDIT: someone already explained all this XP So I'm not special...get it? Special? Special? Heh...

phantomness
18th April 2004, 06:16 PM
I tried the cheat a few times on Blue not Yellow, and... I wound up facing MissingNo once. Interesting. Also, not every poekmon was Lv. 7, I fought Pidgey and Mr. Mime both on 8

Deviou$
27th April 2004, 10:02 PM
Interesting.

By the way you can get Mew by Teleporting/Flying from the trainer in the grass near Nugget Bridge and fighting the first trainer in Misty's gym. Also, fighting Missigno. allows you to dupe items. Is it possible to do this in Yellow?

EDIT: I was wondering what would happen if you escaped from a trainer in between the time you fight the second trainer and the time you fight the Pokemon with the special. What happened isn't anything special - the same thing happened, but there were two areas instead of one where you could catch the Pokemon. I found a third thing to fight to get Mew - first I escaped from both the trainer near Nugget Bridge and another trainer I found right near Diglett cave (in that area with the gamblers), then I fought the trainer above Vermilion with the single lv. 20 Butterfree. Then I could fight a Chansey (early game Chansey!) and from Chansey I got a Mew! Of course this wouldn't always happen because Chanseys stats can vary.

phantomness
2nd May 2004, 12:18 AM
Yes, some common pokemon including Poliwag that you fish up, Spearow Lv. 7-8, Caterpie Lv. 5, and others have the special value you need to catch Mew (21).

Kris
24th May 2004, 06:47 PM
Hey Ive justr ead this and it looks good, anyone got a video of it. All the old links are dead now!

Please help!

Charizard04621
27th May 2004, 07:42 AM
Hey Ive justr ead this and it looks good, anyone got a video of it. All the old links are dead now!

Please help!

Really? This one's still here:

http://pokedex.kary.ca/catchmew.shtml

Cyber Dragon
16th October 2004, 03:11 AM
... wow, I must be really late on this subject.

So, all this time, Mew's been capturable in RBY, and it's confirmable, and it's legit (well, not "legit" in a sense that it's "approved" by Nintendo).

... OH MY GOSH I need to dig up my old Red and Blue versions!!! I want to try this.

I guess I'll take a break from my FR/LG duties and go back to the 1st generation for a missed opportunity...

cd
16th December 2004, 05:42 AM
i did the trick but now i dont know what to do with it. could somebody post some nice standard mew sets. i know softboiled is pretty obvious. thanks.

RaZoR LeAf
16th December 2004, 06:25 AM
Well there's the old Elemental Mew, pretty much a chansey set
Soft Boiled, TBolt, Ice Beam, TWave

There's the cheap OHKO set
TWave, Horn Drill, Fissure, Guillotine]

Hmm, the Hard Hitter set
Swords Dance, EQuake, Swift, SoftBoiled/Twave

Aslong as you use the good moves, build a set that covers anything you've missed (don't put another elemental attacker in a team full of boltbeamers etc) it should be ok.

cd
16th December 2004, 10:28 AM
thanks.

mvtm
18th December 2004, 10:34 AM
I use Psychic,softboiled,fissure and toxic.

Its quite interesting and funny.

Gnight
10th February 2005, 08:40 AM
The thread title should really be changed from "Mew Code". If sombody who amazingly do not know now that it's possible to obtain mew wouldn't even click on the thread because everybody knows that there's absolutly no code to get mew.

RaZoR LeAf
10th February 2005, 11:05 AM
Good idea. Haven't changed a topic here for ages.

yuki sohma
4th November 2005, 12:07 AM
Interesting effect...After flying from the Gambler directly to Lavender and immediately returning to route 8 (which had no effect, as far as I could tell), I took the southwest route to route 5 (I think, north of Vermilion) and battled the Bug Catcher.
I then flew to Saffron and returned to route 8. At the place where the Start menu SHOULD pop up, a blank message box and a Pikachu window(the one that appears when you talk to him) appeared simultaneously. Has this happened to anyone?

(level 7 Grimer, by the way)

frylock
22nd June 2006, 11:08 AM
Hey this website has pictures and everything. I even caught Mew using the exact instructions! It also has details on catching any pokemon. Mind you, be careful I got a glitchy reaction for trying to catch a random pokemon and it was very weird. Just follow direct instructions. MEW ROCKS!!!

http://pokedex.kary.ca/catchmew.shtml

DaBlackBandit
17th August 2006, 09:58 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6367567296548624255&q=pokemon+battle&hl=en

apparently Mew can be caught anywhere. Check out this video

Gnight
17th August 2006, 10:20 AM
Whoa, cool! I should really experiment with this glitch.

mr_pikachu
18th August 2006, 10:42 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6367567296548624255&q=pokemon+battle&hl=en

apparently Mew can be caught anywhere. Check out this video

Hmm. I hate to say it, but I'm still hesitant to take this one at face value. Combine the Mew exploit with the overall insanity of Missingno (which, if you noticed, was in the guy's party, along with an affected Pokemon), and crazy things can happen. It's hard to say what other factors may have been involved in making Mew appear in that manner. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to save a game like that, because (obviously) you're carrying a Missingno.

A little troublesome. Cool, yes, but it may not be as simple as it seems.

frylock
18th August 2006, 03:36 PM
you don't need M or Missigno, The glitch worked fine, I used it several times, for Mew, Electabuzz, and Kabuto. That video is misleading.

Magmar
6th May 2007, 10:34 PM
Not to dig this out of the grave, but I know people actually search around here for this thread, so *bumps*

Nevertheless I finally tried this trick for the first time and, yes, I now have a Mew on my Yellow version! So I have a complete Sailor Moon team, including a Luna! Yay! Now to try to find an Artemis... any way to get a second Mew??

Jeff
6th May 2007, 10:58 PM
If you have another RBY game, you could do the glitch there then trade. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other trainers that trigger Mew. You might be able to do it through a wild pokemon though.