PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Stone Manipulation

DivineAll
4th October 2010, 01:20 PM
I've recently replayed Crystal, again, and I'm almost near the level where my Poliwhirl is ready to evolve into Poliwrath and learn Submission. Problem is... I'm kind of impatient in waiting for Fisher Tully fish up a Water Stone for me to use on said Water-Type. Is there any faster way to get Water Stones from him, because I'm pretty sure the only way to get Stones in the GSC games is to get certain trainers' phone numbers and wait out until they have the Stone you need, except for Sun Stones.

Jeff
4th October 2010, 02:30 PM
There is one other way, but it requires a copy of Red, Blue, or Yellow, another Game Boy, and a link cable. Other than that, the only thing you can do is wait.

Edit: IIRC, there is a way to get one of each evolution stone from Bill's grandfather, (except for the Sun Stone, which is available from the Bug-Catching Contest, and the Moon Stone which you can pick up any Monday night at Mt. Moon if you have a Pokemon with Rock Smash on you).

Poryhedron
4th October 2010, 11:43 PM
The only way to make Tully find that Water Stone faster is to delete anyone else from your Pokégear who might randomly call you. (You can leave in your mom, Prof. Elm and Bill since they don't call at random.) The reason this helps is because, when the game decides you're getting a random call, it first picks who's calling and then decides what kind of call it is (Let's Battle, Let's Chat About Inane Stuff, or Hey I Found Something Blue And Shiny.)

DivineAll
5th October 2010, 01:45 AM
Way ahead of you there, Poryhedron.

DivineAll
10th October 2010, 08:22 PM
New question to help with stone manipulation: does calling the potential stone holder speed things up or slow things down because I'm calling Tully every other day and he still says he doesn't have anything on him.

Poryhedron
11th October 2010, 11:45 PM
As far as I know, it has no effect whatsoever.

DivineAll
27th October 2010, 10:06 PM
Okay, I finally got a Water Stone after being impatient for too long and looking up the Crystal board in GameFAQs for a faster way to help me obtain one. Turns out there's a trick, and I quote, "Go to your mom and change to and from DST a lot of times, you'll get a lot of phone calls. Sure, you get the same crap just as often, but you'll get the stones faster."

It works... but, there's another small catch that I have observed doing this trick: if the trainer you're trying to to get a stone from calls you and asks for a battle, the next couple of calls they'll call you with are pure ramblings of attempted Pokémon catching so it's best to save before you talk to your mom, turn off your game once you get a battle request from the stone holder of choice, and turn back the game on to try again.

Blademaster
28th October 2010, 05:14 PM
I didn't know you could change the time in-game like that... I thought you had to mess with the DS clock itself to pull off those tricks.

ChobiChibi
28th October 2010, 06:53 PM
Blade, this is classic generation XD

Blademaster
28th October 2010, 09:52 PM
DS, GameBoy, my point still stands. I hven't played Gold or Crystal in too long to remember that stuff.

Poryhedron
30th October 2010, 01:27 PM
The point is Game Boys didn't have internal clocks until the DS. The clock was in the Game Pak, so the only way to adjust time was in-game.

Blademaster
31st October 2010, 12:22 PM
I still don't remember it. I can barely remember last week. *shrug*