PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Zelda?

RJdude
22nd April 2003, 06:37 PM
I've just received the latest issue of Nintendo Power, and in the back, wehe it shows you the preview for the next issue. The next issue is apparently going to focus on E3 2003. But that's not what caugth my eye. I noticed that, next to the paragraph mentioning E3, it show a "shadow" of Adult Link. Now I know Link is going to be in Soul Calibar 2, but since everyone knows that, why keep it hidden? Do you think that the next Zelda game, a realistic one, is in the works, and will be shown at E3? Discuss.

Razola
22nd April 2003, 06:43 PM
It's probably just for SC2.

I mean, Metroid Prime 2 has JUST been annouced, I doubt they'd have screenshots for even that.

So don't expect much more than a confirmation of the next Zelda game.

PNT510
22nd April 2003, 08:31 PM
If they are coming out with a new Zelda game so soon I really hope they have a new gameplay engine, before zelda becomes the next Tony Hawk.

Razola
22nd April 2003, 08:33 PM
You got it backwards.

Tony Hawk is becoming the next Zelda.

That is why the cell-shading was used, Zelda is becoming very formula-based so Nintendo is focusing on atmosphere and all that.

Kokomo
22nd April 2003, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that the next zelda will be cell-shaded and it will probably be on gamecube, I'm thinking at the end of gc's life.:( I doubt that they would only use the WW engine on one game, it would be a waste. Also WW is awesome, go back on Oot and just look at how bad those graphics are compared to WW. I'd like to go back to realistic someday, but I love the cell-shading. I'd actually like to see some new, ORIGINAL zelda games. They've been going with the same style since the beginning and I think it'd be interesting to see some new, weird zelda game.;)

Razola
22nd April 2003, 09:08 PM
To be fair, OoT was on inferior hardware.

One would HOPE it would be less impressive than a game on a superior console.

Kokomo
23rd April 2003, 04:08 PM
True.

(LOL, what else to say......hmm......)

Rayquaza
24th April 2003, 12:40 AM
I'm a big Zelda fan (played every game) and even after buying WW, I still can't bring myself to like the cell shading. I've actually lost interest in the game because they turned what was a more serious series somewhat kiddy. :no: That's every Cel-da hater's argument, but honestly, if a game has bad design, you're never gonna like it that much..

Matt
24th April 2003, 01:19 AM
Ok, this is what's happening at the E3. Capcom is making two new zelda games. One for Gamecube and one for Game Boy Advance. The release date for the two games are undetermined at the moment. So yeah thats what's happening.

Shadowfax
25th April 2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Rayquaza
I'm a big Zelda fan (played every game) and even after buying WW, I still can't bring myself to like the cell shading. I've actually lost interest in the game because they turned what was a more serious series somewhat kiddy. :no: That's every Cel-da hater's argument, but honestly, if a game has bad design, you're never gonna like it that much..

they wanted it to look like the older Zelda games, cuz they were better that OOT, or at least most people think so.
and the cel-shading's great, if you dont like a game just because of it's graphic's engine you should be slapped. Jet Set Radio was cel shaded, and it wasnt kiddy, and it's probably one of the best Dreamcast games ever :D

I havent played the wind waker yet, since it doesnt come out here till next week, so i cant really comment if the game's any good or not ;x

Scythemantis
2nd May 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Rayquaza

Personally, I hated the seriousness. "KIDDIE" is a good thing and it's the only way zelda SHOULD be in my honest opinion! The nes/snes games were cute and cartoony and those are the "real" ones (I just don't accept 3-d games yet....they still feel like punk newcomers) the N64 zeldas annoyed me with their melodrama. It seems like it was made for the same people who get all teary-eyed and emotional over anime or write bad erotic star fox fanfiction.

Keep Link looking like the 80's manual art. None of this realism nonsense. I wouldn't be playing video games if I wanted reality.

Razola
2nd May 2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Scythemantis
(I just don't accept 3-d games yet....they still feel like punk newcomers)

It is simply evolution. Super Mario Brothers, with its fancy pants multi-screen levels was a "new comer." Games change like all mediums.

At least many old-timers (Miyamoto and many others) are the ones bringing these "dang-fangled" new games to us.

Scythemantis
2nd May 2003, 11:37 AM
Yeah, and I loved Pikmin and many other 3d games from miyamoto, but everything on my top 20 of all-time would be sprite based. Sprites are pleasant to look at and polygons just aren't a replacement. They can do things sprites can't, and sprites can't be outdated near as easily as 3d can. It's like cel animation vs. computer animation. They're completely different and shouldn't even be considered alternatives to one style.

Jim Fuse
2nd May 2003, 02:25 PM
the new zelda game is indeed scheduled to be premiered at E3

Razola
3rd May 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Scythemantis
Yeah, and I loved Pikmin and many other 3d games from miyamoto, but everything on my top 20 of all-time would be sprite based. Sprites are pleasant to look at and polygons just aren't a replacement. They can do things sprites can't, and sprites can't be outdated near as easily as 3d can. It's like cel animation vs. computer animation. They're completely different and shouldn't even be considered alternatives to one style.

You're right, 2-D shouldn't be seen as an old medium replaced by 3D, but most companies nowadays are more about profit than innovation. They would much rather copy a forumla rather than try to bring something new to the table. I could see many new twists on 2D games, but I doubt that 2D will ever see a whole lot of play-time on the new consoles.

At the very least, we have GBA. Aria of Sorrow anyone?

Salvester2
7th May 2003, 07:19 PM
Don;t worry, methinks that Big N has more up it's sleeve than what it appears.

Nintendo is prolly going to do another realistic game like OoT..at leats I hope they do.

PNT510
8th May 2003, 02:30 AM
but most companies nowadays are more about profit than innovation.

The only reason a company would ever care about innovation is to make profit.

Deathman
8th May 2003, 09:21 PM
Which is why I question nintendo's choice to bring Zelda cel-shaded. I mean who in their right mind would think that cel-shaded would actually bring about a profit. If nintendo knows what's good for them they will make the new Zelda game realistic. Cel-shaded is great, it gives the game a new atmoshere and it really feels more like I've always imagined Zelda. However, I would like to see another realistic Zelda, partly so that the people who wanted realistic will be happy (and maybe stop insulting Nintendo), and partly because I don't like sequals that keep the exact same graphics as it's precedor.

mic_128
8th May 2003, 10:18 PM
I have heard from another forum (currently down) that the next zelda will be realistic. I just hope they remodel Link from the Tech demo of Link and Gannondorf fighting as he looked a bit like a girl.:o

kalad1
9th May 2003, 12:27 PM
I agree! death to cell shaded Zelda! I wanna see a realistic Link, one with pores and arm hair!