PDA

View Full Version : World News

Lady Vulpix
27th October 2010, 01:41 PM
I've been waiting for a thread like this for a while, but no one has made it, so I'm making it myself.

Rules:
1. This thread is for discussing the latest news, anywhere in the world. You can still make specific threads for anything that merits its own separate discussion, but if you feel like commenting something that happened and don't think it's worth posting a new thread just for that, then this is the place to do so.
2. You may post new pieces of news and/or discuss other people's posts.

Aside from the Misc rules and General TPM rules, that's it. So, there we go.

First piece of news: former Argentinean president Néstor Kirchner has died of a heart attack. He was planning to run for president again next year, so now his party will obviously have to find another candidate as well as another head. I wonder how our current president will react, and how this will affect her political decisions for the rest of her ruling period. After all, he was not only her husband, but also the mind behind all their political schemes. Personally (and this is where my objectivity ends), I'd like to be optimistic and think this will put most of her plans on hold and he won't be able to do any damage from beyond the grave, but you never know... anything can happen in politics.

Oh. Paul the German octopus has died too. Of course, octopi don't have very long lifespans, so that wasn't as much of a surprise.

Blademaster
28th October 2010, 05:12 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOT PAUL!!!!! :cry:

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th October 2010, 09:27 AM
Well I have a silly question, is this thread more like 'The Global News' or 'News From Around The World'? Or both? I ask this because nobody is interested in what happens in Finland, or...?

Lady Vulpix
30th October 2010, 09:44 AM
I don't know the difference between global news and news from around the world, but if something happens in Finland and you find it interesting, it's likely that other people will too. You can share it here, just as you can share any interesting things that happened elsewhere. Any piece of news, really.

As for Blade's post... yes, the world will miss Paul. He provided quite a lot of entertainment and speculation. There's even a song about him on YouTube.

Ayeun
30th October 2010, 10:28 AM
Well, its old news, but I live in the NT, so our news is SO out there, I will give this a comeback!

UFO's INVADE AUSTRALIAN PARLIAMENT (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/02/18/125091_ntnews.html). Yes, that WAS the front cover of our news paper.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th October 2010, 11:06 AM
What I meant about Global News was the news that affect the whole world and are of greater importance rather than some minor events. But I guess I could provide news from Finland, then.

A Finnish broadcasting network called YLE has been sending a program 'of current interest' called Homoilta. Homoilta is Finnish for 'homo evening', and it posed representatives against and for legalizating gay marriages and adoption. Some Church representatives and the Christian Democratic Party leader Päivi Räsänen have made statements that have made record-breaking numbers of people resign from the Evangelical Lutheran Church during the last few weeks. Almost 80% of Finns are part of Evangelical Lutheran Church, but in 2005, they opened a site where you can easily resign! The current situation is making both the gay-friendly people and those who oppose the marriages and stuff between the same sex resign because the Church is forced to keep a neutral attitude. That may change for there're the Church elections, and the legal age for voting is now 16 years! As for myself, I resigned from Evangelical Lutheran Church already in 2003. Have considered joining back if there's someone who wants to marry me clerically. And I can't lie, also this homo conversation has made me wonder if I could affect the future of the church by joining in and voting.

Lady Vulpix
30th October 2010, 12:41 PM
Ayeun: that's really crazy.

Mikachu: your church has elections and an official procedure to resign from it? It's the first time I've heard of something like that.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
31st October 2010, 03:08 AM
Yep, that's the system in Finland. In Church Election, we elect members for the councils who in turn elect representatives for church meetings, bishoprics and bishops. Of course, you have to be a member of Evangelical Lutheran Church to take part in those elections. And also, you have to have gone through 'rippikoulu', i.e. 'confirmation school' a school where children that are usually 14 or 15 year-old can go. I myself chose not to go there in 2000, because I was a polytheistic. You can also go there later on.

As for the procedure to resign from it, I just walked to the church office of my old hometown in 2003 some months after my 18th birthday and signed papers. I posted incorrect info in the last post, the website eroakirkosta.fi (resign-from-the-church.fi) was opened already in 2003, sorry. But the real boom began in 2005 or something.

By the way, I have long wanted to ask you Lady Vulpix, are there still protests against the Finnish company UPM-Kymmene in Argentina?

Magmar
31st October 2010, 10:30 AM
On Tuesday, residents of Rhode Island are voting whether to change our state's name!

Since we were founded in the 1500s, we have had our name as "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations", now "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

Some have argued that the name is a connotation of slavery and a reminder of persecution. However "plantation" just means "settlement".

I'm voting against it, my state's too much in debt to be spending money on changing its name right now. More importantly, question 2 on the ballots will give my school a new art center! I'd rather the money was allocated to furthering education, not changing a name for reasons based on a poor interpretation of state history.

Lady Vulpix
1st November 2010, 12:49 PM
I thought plantation meant a large crop-filled area. Doesn't the word derive from 'plant' and 'planting'? A place where something is planted?

Mikachu, every time I heard about the protests, the company was referred to as Botnia. I've never heard of UPM-Kymmene before. Protests continue, although they have decreased in strength lately. I think they should worry more about other paper companies like Ledesma, which has been proven to seriously polute the environment, not to mention its owners are mass-murderers. But for some unkown reason nothing's being done about that.

Heald
1st November 2010, 01:04 PM
I thought plantation meant a large crop-filled area. Doesn't the word derive from 'plant' and 'planting'? A place where something is planted?
It does, but it has entered the US lexicon as being primarily associated with the African slave trade, which is obviously rather controversial.

This video is a striking example of what a typical American (or someone who is aware of American colloquialisms) would imagine when they hear 'plantation':

auNYvfBLHGQ

(if for some reason this video stops working, it is a cartoon with a bunch of really rather racist depictions of black slaves on a plantation)

DarkestLight
1st November 2010, 02:03 PM
I miss that cartoon :O They dun show good cartoons like this and Looney Toons anymore. Lookit dem chikn!

This cartoon is hilarious in its racistness. Its really been a long time.

ROTF Graham Cracker! That was a treat XD

Knight of Time
1st November 2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I've got a bit of news no fan of Wheel of Fortune would want to hear...Charlie o'Donnell, the announcer of Wheel of Fortune for 26 years, died recently in his sleep at 78...it's sad, but at least he wasn't suffering. It's about the most peaceful way someone can go, really.

Heald
1st November 2010, 05:36 PM
So, in my home land of Scotland, apparently this is an appropriate way to deal with teenagers with learning difficulties (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11664558).

crown34
1st November 2010, 08:39 PM
So, in my home land of Scotland, apparently this is an appropriate way to deal with teenagers with learning difficulties (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11664558).
Not really much to say about this.

abunaidesu
1st November 2010, 11:25 PM

what, you don't believe in the traditional dogmatic ways of "scaring" neurological disorders out of people?

Blademaster
2nd November 2010, 05:07 AM
The autism cage... Now I've really seen everything.

Lady Vulpix
2nd November 2010, 01:35 PM
"Mr MacDonald said the specifications of what was needed had not been made clear to the supplier." I wonder what the specification was. @_@

Magmar
2nd November 2010, 02:15 PM
why on earth would an 18 year old with any disability need a cage to play in?

Heald
2nd November 2010, 03:56 PM
The cage was bad enough, but the bleachers and popcorn stall were probably a bit too much.

shazza
3rd November 2010, 04:43 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the midterm elections yet. I'd make a new topic about it but I feel it isn't my area.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the midterm elections yet. I'd make a new topic about it but I feel it isn't my area.

I'm glad the midterms are over because it means that the vicious attack ads will stop. But I will say a few things about the results.

The GOP now has control of the House. But they will only keep it for two years unless they keep all their campaign promises. If they don't, the Democrats will regain power in 2012, and Obama will win re-election in a landslide.

Can they keep their promises? Probably not. With the Democrats still holding a majority in the Senate, I doubt that either party will be able to do anything unless they learn to cooperate with each other, which is something they have refused to do ever since Obama took office. There will be no repeals of Obama's policies, and no new GOP initiatives. There will just be gridlock every time a major issue is proposed.

And when the economy remains in the doldrums and unemployment doesn't improve, you can bet that in two years, voters will reach for the clicker again.

Heald
3rd November 2010, 12:53 PM
They practically had control of the House anyway, considering the Dems refused to move against them, even when they had the majority because they were going for the 'bipartisanship' angle, which the Republicans just abused and refused to budge on any issue and basically calling everything the Dems proposed communism or fascism.

That's the problem with bipartisanism: it only works if both parties are willing to do it.

So the House will be deadlocked, nothing will happen because the GOP will put party interest before national interest (as usual) and Obama will get the blame because 'he's one of dem blacks'.

Which brings us to the KKK 2010 Tea Party. Some Tea Party backed candidates won, which should make for interesting viewing, especially if the wool unravels in front of the voters' eyes and they realise they've just been conned by Fox News into voting for yet more extreme-right nutjobs.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 01:12 PM
The most common responses were concerns about spending and limiting the size of government, but together those were named by less than half the groups. Social issues, such as same-sex marriage and abortion rights, did not register as concerns.

If anything tied the groups together, it was what motivated their members to participate. Virtually all said that economic concerns were a factor, and nearly as many cited a general mistrust of government. Opposition to President Obama and Democratic policies was a big factor, but only slightly more so than dissatisfaction with mainstream Republican leaders.

Eleven percent said that Obama's race, religion or ethnic background was either a "very important" or "somewhat important" factor in the support their group has receive

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/23/AR2010102304000_2.html?sid=ST2010102304023

You learn something every day Heald.

Heald
3rd November 2010, 01:19 PM
Learn the difference between revealed preference and stated preference. Of course a bunch of Obama-hating people aren't going to admit that his race, religion or ethnic background had anything to do with who they support. In fact I'm amazed 1 in 10 had the balls to say that his race was the real reason why they hate him.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 01:23 PM
Learn the difference between revealed preference and stated preference. Of course a bunch of Obama-hating people aren't going to admit that his race, religion or ethnic background had anything to do with who they support. In fact I'm amazed 1 in 10 had the balls to say that his race was the real reason why they hate him.

So in other words you are only assuming that they hate him because he is black, you don't have any facts because lets face it the most comprehensive survey of the tea party proved you wrong. I mean of course it has nothing to do with his horrible policies, the deficit, or the current economy. Then again these are the same people who also just embraced Pastor Stephen Broden, who would love to see Clerance Thomas run for President, or even Marco Rubio. For a bunch of racists they don't seem to mind a Black or Hispanic President, if he were to support their views.

Heald
3rd November 2010, 01:39 PM
So in other words you are only assuming that they hate him because he is black, you don't have any facts because lets face it the most comprehensive survey of the tea party proved you wrong. I mean of course it has nothing to do with his horrible policies, the deficit, or the current economy. Then again these are the same people who also just embraced Pastor Stephen Broden, who would love to see Clerance Thomas run for President, or even Marco Rubio.
I believe the Tea Party has an incredibly horrible, racist element to it. The fact that even a cursory search for photos of Tea Party rallies or videos of Tea Party members giving their views backs up my belief. I'm not saying that is representative of the entire movement, but the fact that the Tea Party refuses to acknowledge or condemn the racist element in it speaks volumes about it. Many prominent conservatives have refused to align themselves with the Tea Party because of the racist element it has. There is also a strong homophobic and Islamophobic element in it as well.

That survey isn't proof of anything, apart from what Tea Party members are willing to reveal about themselves, and there is a strong incentive for people to lie in such a survey, therefore it is an incredibly flawed piece of evidence and doesn't prove anything, much less prove me wrong about anything.

I never said the entire Tea Party was racist, which is what you seem to think I said, but I do believe it does have a strong racist element. That is my opinion, but it is also an opinion shared by many people and organisations.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 01:49 PM
Roy, people like you make me laugh. I live in New York City, the melting pot of this country, in a blue state where the Democrats actually won both Senate races and the governor's race last night.

Yet, a few weeks ago, I was in a cafe, when I heard too folks mention Obama's name, then say something about "watermelon" that made them both laugh. I didn't ask them to repeat it - I didn't want to know.

As for the Tea Party. Well, let me put it this way. Ever see that famous editorial cartoon that was made in colonial times where the British loyalist is being force-fed tea after being tar-and-feathered?

I'd love to do that to Sarah Palin. That's how much I despise her and her whole bigoted ultra-conservative movement.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 01:51 PM
I believe the Tea Party has an incredibly horrible, racist element to it. The fact that even a cursory search for photos of Tea Party rallies or videos of Tea Party members giving their views backs up my belief. I'm not saying that is representative of the entire movement, but the fact that the Tea Party refuses to acknowledge or condemn the racist element in it speaks volumes about it. Many prominent conservatives have refused to align themselves with the Tea Party because of the racist element it has. There is also a strong homophobic and Islamophobic element in it as well.

So because you do a search of photos and signs, you automatically decide to degrade a movement as a whole. By that poor logic, I can do a search of signs at John Stewarts Rally, or at any Democratic Rally, and find signs that are incredibly Anti Christian, or Truthers. Does that mean the Democratic Party as a whole hates Christians or has a strong Truther element to it? By your logic it does. Why doesnt the Democratic party address it?

Mind you, you are also looking at pictures of signs, a few snap shots out of thousands. Do you honestly believe some people do not purposely go looking for those signs? Of course they do. Have you ever been to a Tea Party Rally? Or are you basing your entire judgement on pictures?

That survey isn't proof of anything, apart from what Tea Party members are willing to reveal about themselves, and there is a strong incentive for people to lie in such a survey, therefore it is an incredibly flawed piece of evidence and doesn't prove anything, much less prove me wrong about anything.

As said by the Washington Post, it is the most comprehensive survey of the Tea Party ever taken, it is a look at the structure and beliefs of the movement. Unless you can provide any evidence to the contrary then you're argument is null and void.

I never said the entire Tea Party was racist, which is what you seem to think I said, but I do believe it does have a strong racist element. That is my opinion, but it is also an opinion shared by many people and organisations.

And it is a flawed opinion, made by small minded people and organizations. Why? Because it is easier to dismiss a group if you can call the Homophobic or Racist. You do not have to hear their ideas or views. As they do not have any credence since they are "Racists".

I will remind you that the Tea Party is held together by two separate groups. Social Conservatives and Libertarians. Libertarians are Socially Liberal but have a Fiscally Conservative view. If the members of the Tea Party who are racists were anything more than a small minuscule amount of individuals, the Libertarian wing of the Tea Party would either bolt or create warfare within it.

As for calling the Tea Party racist...

"Which brings us to the KKK 2010 Tea Party."

Yet, a few weeks ago, I was in a cafe, when I heard too folks mention Obama's name, then say something about "watermelon" that made them both laugh. I didn't ask them to repeat it - I didn't want to know.

And that deals with what we are talking about how?

As for the Tea Party. Well, let me put it this way. Ever see that famous editorial cartoon that was made in colonial times where the British loyalist is being force-fed tea after being tar-and-feathered?

Nope.

Heald
3rd November 2010, 02:09 PM
Roy, as I said, it's my opinion, and I don't make opinions based on assumptions or generalizations. You of all people should know that. My opinion isn't 'flawed' at all, you just disagree with it. There's a difference.

I actually consider myself a libertarian on a great deal of issues, which is why the Tea Party infuriates me so much; I don't want libertarianism associated with such a moronic and hateful movement. I hated the Tea Party before I decided that there was a more insidious element in it. But that's my final say on the matter. I don't want to kill this thread with a stupid quote war, especially over something so incredibly subjective. I've said my view, you've said yours, leave it at that.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 02:13 PM
Roy, as I said, it's my opinion, and I don't make opinions based on assumptions or generalizations. You of all people should know that. My opinion isn't 'flawed' at all, you just disagree with it. There's a difference.

Then if you make your opinion based on facts you should present them, so far you have presented none. If your opinion is based on a snapshot of photos seen on the web, then it is flawed.

I actually consider myself a libertarian on a great deal of issues, which is why the Tea Party infuriates me so much; I don't want libertarianism associated with such a moronic and hateful movement. I hated the Tea Party before I decided that there was a more insidious element in it. But that's my final say on the matter. I don't want to kill this thread with a stupid quote war, especially over something so incredibly subjective. I've said my view, you've said yours, leave it at that.

Fine with me, and you can continue to be ignorant of the Tea Party, yet the fact remains that they are a heavily Libertarian group, and as such they are not a hateful/racists/homophobic what ever group. I would invite you to come to a Tea Party rally, maybe it will enlighten you. And with that I have had my say, but if you continue to call the Tea Party racists or make ignorant statements about them, I will call you out on it.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 02:15 PM
Roy, you didn't have to listen to Carl Paladino for the past two months. He was a bigot, which is likely the reason he's not going to be governor of New York. I listened to this guy put his foot in his mouth, bashing gays, lying about his opponent to smear him, and I wondered what the GOP was ever thinking.

People like this expose the rot at the heart of the Tea Party. The real GOP should not accept these pretenders. I thought you were a member of the real GOP, but I guess I was wrong.

Heald
3rd November 2010, 02:17 PM
I would invite you to come to a Tea Party rally, maybe it will enlighten you.
Do I have to bring my own wooden cross to burn and robes or do they provide them for me? :P

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 02:17 PM
Roy, you didn't have to listen to Carl Paladino for the past two months. He was a bigot, which is likely the reason he's not going to be governor of New York. I listened to this guy put his foot in his mouth, bashing gays, lying about his opponent to smear him, and I wondered what the GOP was ever thinking.

So you want to use one guy to bash a party? My God lets look at Nancy Pelosi then? How about Barney Frank the man responsible for the mess we are in.

People like this expose the rot at the heart of the Tea Party. The real GOP should not accept these pretenders. I thought you were a member of the real GOP, but I guess I was wrong.

So.. you take one person and equate a whole movement to them? My God you could have chosen some one a bit more closely associated with the Tea Party. Try Marco Rubio, he is considered the quintessential Tea Party candidate and a man who is already on the short list for the Vice Presidency. Oh wait that's right Marco Rubio is Hispanic, and the Tea Party are a bunch of racists right?

Do I have to bring my own wooden cross to burn and robes or do they provide them for me?

And you were saying before about not calling the whole Tea Party racists?

Heald
3rd November 2010, 02:20 PM
*Sigh* learn to take a joke, dude.

crown34
3rd November 2010, 04:09 PM
I swear someone's gonna have a field day with the " Rent's to Damn High Party".

ChobiChibi
3rd November 2010, 04:58 PM
Every time you guys say Tea Party, I can't help but imagine the scene from Alice in Wonderland with the Mad Hatter and such...

Here endeth why I hate politics.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 05:34 PM
Every time you guys say Tea Party, I can't help but imagine the scene from Alice in Wonderland with the Mad Hatter and such...

Here endeth why I hate politics.

Believe me, the Tea Party makes about as much sense sometimes as the Hatter's famous riddle about ravens and writing desks.

And Roy, I looked up Marco Rubio. He's okay, but his Senate win in Florida was a sure thing. And exactly who wants him to be a running mate for the GOP in 2012? If you say Sarah Palin, I might bust a gut laughing.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 05:38 PM
And Roy, I looked up Marco Rubio. He's okay, but his Senate win in Florida was a sure thing. And exactly who wants him to be a running mate for the GOP in 2012? If you say Sarah Palin, I might bust a gut laughing.

Well if you looked up info on Marco Rubio then you would know that his Senate win in Florida was far from a sure thing. As he battled it out with Charlie Crist and at one point earlier this year looked like he was going to lose to Charlie Crist.

As for who wants him, right now we have a long list of candidates so far for President. But at the same time, we have a short list of who are viable for choices to be vice President. As ABC Radio pointed out last night at the 7:30 CST news break, he is good looking, young, a great speaker, latino, a wonderful story, and a quick rising star in the GOP and the Tea Party, as such he makes the short list for any GOP Presidential nominee who wants to tap into the latino and tea party vote.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 05:46 PM
Long list? I'd like to see that list.

Roy, the only GOP candidate I know of that might be taken seriously who comes to mind is Huckabee. Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich are sure losers, and you know it.

And if I was a bigwig in the GOP right now (and I thank goodness I'm not) I would not look for a VP candidate to get the Tea Party vote. Maybe you don't realize what a blight this movement is becoming, but smart people sure do.

And I'm not singing out one person either. The Tea Party candidate in Delaware didn't even know what was in the First Amendment, and she was what pretty much ruined the GOP's chance to take control of the Senate.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 05:55 PM
Long list? I'd like to see that list.

Roy, the only GOP candidate I know of that might be taken seriously who comes to mind is Huckabee. Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich are sure losers, and you know it.

Mitt Romney? Chris Christie? Bobby Jindal? Those are just three off the top of my head who have also been discussed as possible candidates.

And if I was a bigwig in the GOP right now (and I thank goodness I'm not) I would not look for a VP candidate to get the Tea Party vote. Maybe you don't realize what a blight this movement is becoming, but smart people sure do.

Why would they shun the Tea Party? Voter turn out yesterday was incredibly high in large part for the tea party. If they can get a VP candidate who energizes the Tea Party vote, and is really a great candidate like Marco Rubio they would be stupid not to do it. Especially since the VP candidate's job is to help energize the base.

And I'm not singing out one person either. The Tea Party candidate in Delaware didn't even know what was in the First Amendment, and she was what pretty much ruined the GOP's chance to take control of the Senate.

Yeah the whole First Amendment thing was actually a misstatement by the press at the time. As she was actually saying this: "The First Amendment does [establish what you claim]? ... So you're telling me that the separation of church and state, the phrase 'separation of church and state,' is in the First Amendment?"

http://minx.cc/?blog=86&post=307106

She is right, the phrase "Seperation of Church and State" does not appear in the First Amendment. The basis for it is found more in the writings of the Founding Fathers.

Also as for the "GOP's Chance to take control of the Senate" that was a long shot by any standard, and if they had even gotten that seat, they would be sitting at 47 seats right now, not 51. Also the man who O'Donnell was facing in the primary, was one who bragged about voting for the economy killing measure Cap and Trade. Not exactly some one you want as a Republican in the Senate.

Telume
3rd November 2010, 07:16 PM
Interesting story:

Girl's a mother at 10 years old and grandma's delighted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39989341/ns/world_news-europe/?gt1=43001

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 07:31 PM
She is right, the phrase "Seperation of Church and State" does not appear in the First Amendment. The basis for it is found more in the writings of the Founding Fathers.

But the words that DO appear are, and I quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That means, among other things, separation of church and state. She apparently knew what the Constitution said, but not what it meant. She was not qualified to be a Senator.

crown34
3rd November 2010, 07:33 PM
Interesting story:

Girl's a mother at 10 years old and grandma's delighted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39989341/ns/world_news-europe/?gt1=43001

That's certainly disturbing.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 07:40 PM
But the words that DO appear are, and I quote:

That means, among other things, separation of church and state. She apparently knew what the Constitution said, but not what it meant. She was not qualified to be a Senator.

Yet as she said the words are not in there, now we can get into what the Constitution says, but that is a extremely narrow definition of the powers now granted by Separation of Church and State, especially at the state level. The entire idea of Separation of Church and State was created by the courts via letters and notes written by the founders.

In fact when Seperation of Church and State actually became a part of jurisprudence in Reynolds v. U.S. The court looked at Jefferson's writings.

Dark Sage
3rd November 2010, 07:48 PM
It's a technicallity, Roy. You can't interpret a document as important as the Constitution with technicallities.

Next thing you know, this woman, who publically stated that God had told her to run for the Senate, would likely have challenged the notion that government and religion should be seperate. Conservatives have done thngs like that.

Roy Karrde
3rd November 2010, 07:51 PM
It's a technicallity, Roy. You can't interpret a document as important as the Constitution with technicallities.

Next thing you know, this woman, who publically stated that God had told her to run for the Senate, would likely have challenged the notion that government and religion should be seperate. Conservatives have done thngs like that.

It's not really a technicality when the court had to look through Jefferson's letters to get a idea of what the founders wanted. She was going for a straight Constitutional stand point of the words written on the paper, in that she was right. The court in Reynolds v United States expanded onto Jefferson's writings to create what is now the extremely powerful Separation of Church and State law.

Blademaster
4th November 2010, 12:29 PM
I mean of course it has nothing to do with his horrible policies, the deficit, or the current economy.

Pretty sure we had two of those three things before Obama came into the White Hizzouse.

As said by the Washington Post, it is the most comprehensive survey of the Tea Party ever taken

Comparative example: "As said by the PETA handbook, only vegetarians go to Heaven."

Circular reasoning is fun!!!

Unrelated:

A Romanian Gypsy woman whose 10-year-old daughter just gave birth in Spain says she's delighted to have a new granddaughter and doesn't understand why the birth has shocked anyone — let alone become an international sensation

Derogatory obvious joke comment that some bleeding heart asshat in this thread will no doubt take seriously about Spanish girls giving birth younger and younger goes here. :)

Heald
4th November 2010, 12:49 PM
Comparative example: "As said by the PETA handbook, only vegetarians go to Heaven."

Not like it really matters, considering as a survey it's pretty flawed. I also think that even if I did blindly believe that every person surveyed answered truthfully (and there is no reason to believe that any person surveyed revealed their true intentions), the fact over 1 in 10 of its members agreed that Obama's race/ethnicity/religious background is an important part of the support the Tea Party receives vindicates my belief that there is a racist element in the Tea Party, rather than disproves it.

Also, I don't just base my belief that this element exists on a few stupid posters or quotes that I've viewed on the Internet, there's a lot more to it than that; I'm hardly ignorant of this group.

Magmar
4th November 2010, 01:25 PM
In other news, Rhode Island will maintain its full state name as The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. It was shot down by just about 80%. It was funny because there isn't a "Rhode Island" in RI, but there is a Providence, and there are plantations. Equally ironic is that the state was founded on principles of freedom, and slavery came to R.I. at least a hundred years after it was named.

One of our state governor candidates, Frank Caprio, had been quoted as telling Obama to shove it for not supporting him. Caprio only won in traditional mafia towns, such as North Providence and Johnston. R.I. is one of the most democrat states in the country, but most towns supported the Republican candidate, Robitaille. However, independent Chafee took the vote.

kurai
4th November 2010, 01:37 PM
Former President Bush writes about the episode in his memoir, "Decision Points," which hits book stores next Tuesday. Bush says he had introduced then-Russian President Putin to his Scottish terrier, Barney, on a visit to the U.S. presidential retreat, Camp David.

Putin returned the favor when Bush visited Russia and Putin was giving him a tour of the grounds of his dacha.

"A big black Labrador came charging across the lawn. With a twinkle in his eye, Vladimir said, 'Bigger, stronger, faster than Barney,'" Bush writes. A copy of the book was obtained by Reuters

Bush says he later told the story to the Canadian prime minister, Stephen Harper, who replied: "You're lucky he only showed you his dog."

a reminder that world leaders are people too!
and, finally, harper's leadership is justified

Jeff
4th November 2010, 02:21 PM
Good to hear Rhode Island is keeping its long name. That, along with the four states that are officially named the "Commonwealth of ______" is always a fun bit of trivia.

Anyway, in election news here:

Governor:
Our Democratic governor, Martin O'Malley will hold onto his seat for another four years, despite mounting unpopularity for raising several taxes, and giving furlough days (forced days off with no pay) to state employees.

Senate:
Democratic Senator Barbra Mikulski beat out Eric Wargotz, who vacated his seat as commissioner at-large of Queen Anne's County (my home county) to run for senator. Wargotz was replaced by fellow Republican Steve Arentz as the de-facto head of the county. In fact, all 5 of our county commissioners have been replaced, and all of the new ones are Republicans.

House of Representin':
Republican Andy Harris, who, back in '08, beat moderate Republican incumbent Wayne Gilchrest in the primary, but lost to Frank Kratovil in the general election, won the rematch for the Maryland District 1 house seat this year. Just one of the many gains the GOP made in the house.

Roy Karrde
4th November 2010, 06:14 PM
Pretty sure we had two of those three things before Obama came into the White Hizzouse.

Yeah and if I remember correctly alot of the Republican party wasnt really down with Bush, especially in the last few years when he was dealing with a Democratic Congress. Not to mention the whole 2006 protest vote by Conservatives and Republicans because of the Liberal spending by the Republican Congress?

Washington Times is the Conservative News Paper, Washington Post is the more popular, more moderate to Liberal news paper.

Not like it really matters, considering as a survey it's pretty flawed. I also think that even if I did blindly believe that every person surveyed answered truthfully (and there is no reason to believe that any person surveyed revealed their true intentions), the fact over 1 in 10 of its members agreed that Obama's race/ethnicity/religious background is an important part of the support the Tea Party receives vindicates my belief that there is a racist element in the Tea Party, rather than disproves it.

Every group is going to have a fringe element, if you magnify it and believe it to be any more than a fringe element than you are acting more than a political hack than anything else. For example the Democratic Party has 30% or more that believes that Bush was involved in some way with 9/11, that is far more than 10% and those are just the people who 'answered truthfully on the survey' which in and of itself is a pathetic argument. Anyway are we to label the Democratic party the party of truthers? Are we going to label liberals as being psychotic truthers? The pathetic logic of taking a fridge element and magnifying it, is just that: Pathetic.

Also, I don't just base my belief that this element exists on a few stupid posters or quotes that I've viewed on the Internet, there's a lot more to it than that; I'm hardly ignorant of this group.

Then provide proof, because so far all you have shown is ignorance.

Blademaster
5th November 2010, 11:30 AM
inb4 Roy 'refutes' proof

Heald
5th November 2010, 12:38 PM
inb4 Roy 'refutes' proof
Well, exactly. I didn't particularly feel like spending the next few hours of my evening trudging up every article/report/video/crazy rant by homeless person that I have interfaced with that has led me to form an opinion just so I could argue with someone who will never agree with me on a Pokemon forum. I consider the matter closed. Calling me ignorant and pathetic because I disagree with you doesn't make you right, it just makes you look insane.

This issue has gotten boring so I'm going to try to reignite the thread with something closer to home:

UK election forced to rerun in one constituency due to dirty tricks by winner (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11699888)

This is the first time in 99 years that an election for the House of Commons has had to be rerun due to such circumstances. Specifically, the winner played upon racial tensions in the area to slander his opponent (and he reportedly doctored photos of his opponent in his own election literature to further damage his opponent). It looks like a by-election is likely, which I think might be the first since the Coalition took power, which should make for interesting viewing, especially since both parties in the Coalition will probably field candidates opposite each other.

kurai
5th November 2010, 12:45 PM
in my opinion it would probably be better to discuss american partisan politics in its own topic since from a global perspective it is not terribly notable (both rely on a neoliberal economic outlook with countervailing military keynesianism for self-interested protectionism, just with slightly different social goals).

here is something interesting:

the senkaku/daioyu islands are a small island chain between okinawa and taiwan. they've been of disputed control for around 150 years, being right in the geographical middle of the competing east asian nations: the ryukyu kingdom, meiji and qing empires, the state of japan, the people's republic of china, the republic of china, and the united states (wartime occupation) have all held claims to control of these islands.

this issue arose again last week:

HANOI, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Assistant Foreign Minister Hu Zhengyue accused Japanese representatives here Friday of violating China's sovereignty and territorial integrity through statements to the media during the summit meetings between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its partners.

The Japanese side also made untrue statements about the content of a meeting between Chinese and Japanese foreign ministers held earlier in the day, he said.

Hu said the Japanese move ruined the atmosphere for leaders from the two sides to conduct talks in the Vietnamese capital.

The Japanese side should take full responsibility for any consequence to arise, the Chinese diplomat said.

It was known to all that China had always tried to preserve and push forward bilateral relations between China and Japan on the basis of the principles set out in the four political documents signed by the two countries, Hu said.

However, the truth was that the diplomatic authority of Japan, in cahoots with other nations, tried to create noises on the issue of the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea in the lead-up to the summits between ASEAN and its partners. On top of that, during the summits, the Japanese side frequently made use of media outlets to make statements and comments that violated the sovereignty and territorial integrity of China, Hu said.

When meeting with his Japanese counterpart, Seiji Maehara, Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi set forth China's principled position on the issue concerning the Diaoyu Islands, stressing that the Diaoyu Islands had been an integral part of Chinese territory since ancient times, Hu said.

The Japanese side was making untrue statements about the content of the meeting and distorted China's stance in implementing the principled consensus between the two countries on the East China Sea issue, Hu said.

so this nonsense is having a current effect on political and economic negotiations. this is coming up again because:

A limited number of Diet members on Monday will see some of the video footage of collisions between a Chinese trawler and two Japanese patrol boats near the Senkaku Islands in September, they said Friday.

The House of Representatives Budget Committee decided the footage will only be shown to its board members and those of the Upper House Budget Panel, the lawmakers said.

The footage is said to prove the Chinese trawler was responsible for the Sept. 7 collisions off the Japanese-controlled islets in the East China Sea, which are claimed by Beijing.

and now, you too can share in the diet's exclusive knowledge of the event in question:

8CmVvwuIJfA
(it's around the 2:00 mark)

Roy Karrde
5th November 2010, 02:16 PM
Well, exactly. I didn't particularly feel like spending the next few hours of my evening trudging up every article/report/video/crazy rant by homeless person that I have interfaced with that has led me to form an opinion just so I could argue with someone who will never agree with me on a Pokemon forum. I consider the matter closed. Calling me ignorant and pathetic because I disagree with you doesn't make you right, it just makes you look insane.

Alright then lets deconstruct your point in a fairly simple manner. The only reason ANYONE believes that there are racists in the Tea Party are either

A: The very small minority that come with racist signs or say racists things on camera.
B: Those that automatically assume that Conservatives = Racist

Now for point A, that small minority is very vocal in their hatred, now if they are willing to stand out and wave a giant racist sign in front of thousands of people, as well as have their picture taken with it, it is fairly certain they will also tell a reporter their beliefs as well. Now in that respect you could pretty much say that group makes up 10% of the tea party crowd at best, and is most likely a even smaller minority.

Now for point B, you are going to have people who believe the tea party is made up of a bunch of racists because they are conservatives. The problem is that you are then assuming that they attend the tea party because of racist views, and not the actual views of the tea party which is limited government, low taxes. Since the Tea Party is not a KKK meeting, and since mind reader technology does not exist, and since there has been no other extensive survey done other than the Washington Post's survey. The people who believe conservatives = racists are essentially assigning a hateful label to people only for ideological beliefs.

Now you can call me insane, or you can provide proof that there is more than the 10%, or you can believe point B, which well you don't want to believe in point B. But as such now that your argument has been deconstructed we can move on.

Lady Vulpix
6th November 2010, 09:23 AM
OK, Roy, Heald and company, that particular discussion is taking up most of the thread and obscuring everything else, so I'd say it merits a thread of its own. So please make one and continue the discussion there.

Now on to more news: all domestic flights within Argentina are currently cancelled as pilots are on strike. Why? Because Aerolíneas Argentinas, the main local airline, arranged a flight in which the pilot and co-pilot belonged to 2 different unions. The 2 unions are at war against each other and no member of one will fly on the same plane as a member of the other, even as a passenger. So that resulted in all pilots from both unions going on strike. Add that to the fact that the Aeroparque airport is down for remodelling and all its flights had been re-routed to Ezeiza airport... so Ezeiza's a real mess right now, crowded with people coming and going to different countries, plus all the people who are sitting there waiting to see if and when they'll finally be able to fly.

Heald
6th November 2010, 10:58 AM
OK, Roy, Heald and company, that particular discussion is taking up most of the thread and obscuring everything else, so I'd say it merits a thread of its own. So please make one and continue the discussion there.
Thanks. I have said on more than one occasion I had no interest in continuing the discussion but didn't want to outright call a moratorium on it in order to avoid certain allegations. But now you, as the thread starter and as an Admin called it, I'm obliged to enforce this. Move on, please.

Now on to more news: all domestic flights within Argentina are currently cancelled as pilots are on strike. Why? Because Aerolíneas Argentinas, the main local airline, arranged a flight in which the pilot and co-pilot belonged to 2 different unions. The 2 unions are at war against each other and no member of one will fly on the same plane as a member of the other, even as a passenger. So that resulted in all pilots from both unions going on strike. Add that to the fact that the Aeroparque airport is down for remodelling and all its flights had been re-routed to Ezeiza airport... so Ezeiza's a real mess right now, crowded with people coming and going to different countries, plus all the people who are sitting there waiting to see if and when they'll finally be able to fly.
I've always felt unions are the appendix of the body of society: they perhaps served some useful purpose many, many years ago, but now they are useless, worthless organ, that endangers the rest of the body when it becomes inflamed. Unions are utterly ruining the UK, they ought to just be dismantled since most of them deal in organised crime and break most of the laws concerning unions anyway.

Drago
21st March 2011, 10:01 PM
IMPORTANT THREAD NECRO:

China wants you to eat eggs boiled in the urine of young boys (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/OddSpot/2011/03/21/No_yolk_with_Chinese_eggs_591494.html).

...I miss the activity of the news threads. :(

Blademaster
21st March 2011, 11:34 PM
.................I'm not sure whether to be more shocked that such a thing exists or that, since this is allegedly "several thousand years old," IT HAS NEVER BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE.

Seriously, I've seen some nasty foods on the Internet. Even lists of horrible shit like balut, casu marzu, fish made with fucking LYE... Yet no mention of the Chinese piss egg. WTF?

Magmar
23rd March 2011, 08:44 AM
World news? I think the worst earthquake in Japan's history and the beginning of World War 3 sound pretty newsworthy.

Oh, and the impending apocalypse D:

Lady Vulpix
23rd March 2011, 08:51 AM
The Chinese used to make eggs sit in horse urine for years to let them ferment and acquire a strong taste and a black color. Now they use chemicals to accelerate the process.

Dark Sage
23rd March 2011, 09:21 AM
In the Renaissance, someone once found that urine made your teeth clean, so some people actually cleaned their teeth with urine.

It took several decades for them to realize that it was actually the ammonia in the urine, not the urine itself, that was making their teeth clean. Even today, ammonia is an important ingrediant in toothpaste.

Dark-San
24th March 2011, 09:00 AM
Yet no mention of the Chinese piss egg. WTF?

Because we have no access to a decent sodium source for consumption? =P

No seriously, I don't know the answer. But like Gabi pointed out earlier, we will use the most outrageous ingredients to prepare our dishes and they will still taste awesome.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th March 2011, 11:10 AM
World news? I think the worst earthquake in Japan's history and the beginning of World War 3 sound pretty newsworthy.

Oh, and the impending apocalypse D:

Those would deserve their own threads, like the Congress elections in the past.

There's a new turn in the church and homosexuality tolerance discussion I mentioned earlier in this thread here in Finland. A 'religious' TV channel named TV7 has broadcasted some videos where being homosexual is considered illness or something. Especially given that this is the dawn of Finnish Parliament elections 2011, our Lutherian Curch has been asked if those videos reflect their point of view, of course not, or at least so they say. Anyway, 1500 people resigned from the church at once the videos were broadcasted, so it was quite effective. It lets me wonder, what if those videos were coming from some group of people who have somehow infiltrated TV7 and are terrorizing the church on purpose.

EDIT: JfPjTvTx5-U

Magmar
24th March 2011, 05:39 PM
This might be more "weird" news, but it was completely sunny today and snowing like crazy here!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196255_589202861109_52800925_33271661_6536535_n.jp g

If you want to stalk me, I have all my classes in the building across and to the right of the camera.

For the record: The reason this picture is newsworthy is because now, to direct link to Facebook pictures from my own friggin mobile albums, I have to use Firebug (a program that reads source codes and such) and manually copy the link into the browser. It's a huge pain in the ass and my guess is Facebook did it on purpose 'cuz we all upload pictures to Facebook for free these days and just direct link to them, and nobody cared about poor old photobucket anymore.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
26th March 2011, 02:15 AM
It's still snowing more and more here in Finland as well. We have had warmer springs but this and the last year weren't too warm.

I'll be keeping you up-to-date with Finnish Parliamentary elections next month, wanted or not. True Finns (Perussuomalaiset) have risen to the folk of three other major parties, that is Centre Party (Keskusta), National Coalition (Kokoomus), and Social Democrats (SDP) in polls. Leaving The Greens (Vihreät) and Christian Democrats (Kristillisdemokraatit) far behind. But what happened in Fukushima has been speculated to affect positively the popularity of The Greens.

I'm not sure if I'm going to vote in this election, mainly because of the stupid voting system. You see, we can only vote for the candidates in our own constitutencies, in my case, Oulu. And I don't know a thing about the candidates in the constituency of Oulu.

Still, I could present you Jutta Urpilainen, the head of the currently biggest opposition party SDP. This picture was taken in 2009. Too bad I'm not able to vote for her. :D

http://static.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/juttunamasukatMP_uu.jpg

DarkestLight
26th March 2011, 06:34 AM
fish made with fucking LYE

Burns like hell but has a rich texture :O

(I eat waaaaaaay too much.)

Blademaster
26th March 2011, 10:37 PM
You've eaten that shit before, Darkly?

What was it called again? It's bugging me that I can't remember the name.

Dark-San
29th March 2011, 07:56 AM
Fermented salted eggs or locally known as 'Century Eggs', I believed. Wait let me, google out a picture of it.

http://69.89.22.144/~eatingo1/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/century_eggs2-540x360.jpg

Telume
29th March 2011, 01:18 PM
Just looking at that makes me sick o_O

Blademaster
29th March 2011, 01:24 PM
I was talking to DarkestLight, Dark-San. Not you.

DARKestLIght = DarkLi = Darkly.
DARK-San = DarkS = Darx.

Get your nicknames straight, yo. :cool:

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th April 2011, 01:13 PM
Yesterday, the Christian Democratic Party Leader Päivi Räsänen accidentially referred to our Culture and Sports Minister Stefan Wallin as 'uskontoministerimme' 'our Religion Minister' live at TV. RELIGION MINISTER! Yes, you heard me, RELIGION MINISTER! She said, our Religion Minister.

If there was a Religion Minister in Finland, we'd be like Iran! Right now they are in oppostion, but perhaps if The Christian Democratics make it to the next government Päivi Räsänen can be the Religion Minister :)

classy_cat18
8th April 2011, 02:26 PM
*sighs* They're counting down the hours until the shutdown of the government. I'd rather be in Japan right now than stay in America. And if it wasn't for the natural disasters over there, that wouldn't be saying much.

Blademaster
8th April 2011, 06:35 PM
A GOVERNMENT shutdown?

The fuck does that mean? Will there be looting and riots and Molotov cocktails through windows?

Deadwood_Zen
8th April 2011, 08:14 PM
No, the people in Congress can't decide what to cut first, for the budget crisis. So instead of having THEM take a pay-cut, they're planning on cutting funding(if not cutting) programs such as the EPA, Planned Parenthood and NPR, as well as laying off more government officials. Tax returns may be done only online in the future(which makes sense in this age, but there's still problems IMPO).

I wish our government had a reset button.

Telume
8th April 2011, 09:56 PM
*sighs* They're counting down the hours until the shutdown of the government. I'd rather be in Japan right now than stay in America. And if it wasn't for the natural disasters over there, that wouldn't be saying much.

brb pirating stuff.

EDIT: DAMN http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/04/john-boehner-harry-reid-government-shutdown-/1

Mikachu Yukitatsu
8th April 2011, 11:20 PM
Government used CUT!

I wonder what new areas they're able to access now that they have CUT.

Magmar
9th April 2011, 05:19 PM
Government used CUT!

I wonder what new areas they're able to access now that they have CUT.

LMFAO!

No, really, that was great wit, Mikachu. 10 out of 10. I actually laughed out loud.

Yes, government, please use CUT and find new ways to deal with issues. And now that the government knows CUT, it can never forget it, that is, until we add 100 more congresspeople and a Move Deleter. Second generation governmon.

Blademaster
9th April 2011, 07:20 PM
Soooo... Nothing happened?

Typical U.S. government, can't even cause a national crisis properly.

Deadwood_Zen
9th April 2011, 09:08 PM
The whole thing was some bullshit ploy to make all of us stupid citizens think we need the government when they need us. "Last minute agreement" just HAPPENED to come in. I'm just sayin'...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
10th April 2011, 12:41 AM
LOL Magmar, thanks!

I'm going to go to the local post office and vote today. Still not sure for whom. The Pirate Party is intriguing, but it seems probable they won't get any candidate through anyway.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th April 2011, 03:32 PM
UPDATE

All the other parties lost places in Finnish Parliamentary Elections 2011, only True Finns got 34 more places and Swedish People's Party stayed the same. The biggest loser was Centre Party, they lost freaking 16 places. Still, National Coalition claimed winners and now they are the biggest party in Finland for the first time in our country's history.

Blademaster
17th April 2011, 03:36 PM
Mikachu... You know where to go with that.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th April 2011, 12:22 AM
The room full of people who care!

:cryingfinn:

Blademaster
18th April 2011, 08:26 AM
Very good! We're making progress here. :)

crown34
18th April 2011, 08:27 AM
How very mean.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th April 2011, 08:59 AM
I did cry last night. My stupid parasympathetic nervous system. Or perhaps it was because Paavo Väyrynen didn't make it to the Parliament.

Lady Vulpix
20th July 2011, 10:17 AM
I heard about this on the radio. Former judge Roxana Rogovsky Tapia was caught shoplifting from a clothes store last month.

She had resigned in 1995 after it was discovered that she had paid a lawyer to write her sentences because she didn't know how to write them.

Later, in 2000, she stole 131 pages from 2 books at the School of Lawyers.

More details (all in Spanish, sorry):
Online-911 (http://www.online-911.com/leer.php?s=1&id=18819&t=Escándalo:-una-ex-jueza-fue-sorprendida-intentando-hurtar-ropa)
Clarín (http://edant.clarin.com/diario/2000/07/06/s-05301.htm)
Página/12 (http://www.pagina12.com.ar/1999/99-01/99-01-29/pag03.htm)
InfoBae (http://www.infobae.com/notas/594680-Detuvieron-a-una-ex-jueza-por-robar-ropa-en-un-local-del-microcentro-porteno.html)
El Universal (http://www.eluniversal.com.ar/ultimas-noticias/una-ex-jueza-fue-sorprendida-intentando-robar/)
Villa Ocampo SF (http://villaocamposf.com.ar/sociedad/todo-sobre-la-vida-en-sociedad/lo-insolito/3629--escandalo-una-ex-jueza-fue-sorprendida-intentando-hurtar-ropa-.html)