PDA

View Full Version : Black and White info

Telume
22nd November 2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/

Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott are the names of the starters in English

For some reason Isshu's been renamed Unova in English

Zekrom and Reshiram's names remain unchanged in English.

Jeff
22nd November 2010, 05:27 PM
Reshiram's ability is Turboblaze, and Zekrom's is Teravolt. Basically unchanged from the Japanese versions.

Unova is weird. Up until now the region name has always at least been similar to its Japanese name. Wonder what it means. Maybe United States and nova = new as in New York?

Poryhedron
22nd November 2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe United States and nova = new as in New York?
Sounds plausible. But yeah, why bother renaming it?

DarkestLight
22nd November 2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah that's bonkers. Least throw in the Y....Yeah Gamefreak got lazy.

Wtf kinda name is OSHAWOTT >o That's Misleading to people that think of Wott as being a ploy for Electricity.

I get the Ott--er part but OSHAW--Err I get it -.- Shower -.- I'm done here.

Jeff
22nd November 2010, 07:26 PM
Sounds plausible. But yeah, why bother renaming it?

Maybe they had an isshu with it.

:P

DarkestLight
22nd November 2010, 09:22 PM
And you go home now.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd November 2010, 07:11 AM
Unova. So the translators didn't solve the Unown Puzzles in previous versions?

But what's cool, the legendary game cover Pokemon have their original names!

And Reshiram 10' 06" and Zekrom's 9' 06"? 3.2 meters and 2.9 meters? They could have been even bigger, me wants badass Legendaries!

Blademaster
23rd November 2010, 04:09 PM
Ten feet is plenty. Mewtwo is only six feet and it has the power to do pretty much EVERYTHING. Mew is even smaller and it's essentially the Primordial Pokemon.

Also, the starter names suck. HORRIBLY. When I get Black, I'm nicknaming them Smugleaf, Pignite, and Wotter, as I'm sure most of the Internet will. Sad display, Gamefreak. Very sad indeed...

Dark Sage
21st December 2010, 03:16 PM
Ten feet is plenty. Mewtwo is only six feet and it has the power to do pretty much EVERYTHING. Mew is even smaller and it's essentially the Primordial Pokemon.

Ten feet may be big for a Pokemon, but Zekrom and Reshiram are smaller than Dialga (17' tall) and Palkia (13' tall), who were the stars of the last series. Of course, I'd wager that Dialga and Palkia, being the gods of Time and Space, are stronger than Zekrom and Reshiram. (Well, maybe not Palkia if you use video game rules, seeing as its Type is at a disadvantage...)

Galdr
11th January 2011, 10:52 AM
Unova, for the reason that the region is based in the USA, as Jeff said~
Zuruggu better have a decent name, or it's RAGE on my end.

And yes... they renamed Isshu to Unova because the name "Isshu" had too many isshues.

I actually like the starter names in English. It'll just take awhile to get used to. Everyone remembers how Sinnoh came out, with Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup being "odd" to everyone around the internet. However, when the games released and people started playing them, the names just grew on, and everyone got used to them, regardless.

Just give the English names a chance~ n_n It can't be that terrible, right?

Bear
11th January 2011, 02:56 PM
Pidova's ability, "Big Pecks", makes me laugh. Shouldn't that be Machamp's ability?

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th January 2011, 04:58 PM
I liked Pidgeon Heart more.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
12th January 2011, 11:24 PM
Pidova's ability, "Big Pecks", makes me laugh. Shouldn't that be Machamp's ability?

Big Pecks mean that the Pidove's Defence cannot be lowered. I thought it was something more related to Peck and Drill Peck myself.

Poryhedron
13th January 2011, 08:38 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out how "big pecks" is supposed to have anything to do with resisting attempts to lower your defense. The name sounds like it would protect your Attack stat, like Hyper Cutter. I'm glad they changed it from "Pigeon Heart", since A) that's just goofy and B) more pokémon have it than just the pigeons. But now it might actually be worse.

DarkestLight
14th January 2011, 06:30 AM
Pory: If you have Big pecks, its hard to simply wear down your defenses because they're so built up. Think of it like going through a rhino's hide. Not really happening so easily. Same with those superfugly body builders. Their muscle is too built up to be lowered by any quick means.

Bear
14th January 2011, 09:09 AM
Same with those superfugly body builders. Their muscle is too built up to be lowered by any quick means.

Hence "big pecs" :D

Poryhedron
14th January 2011, 10:24 PM
Pory: If you have Big pecks, its hard to simply wear down your defenses because they're so built up. Think of it like going through a rhino's hide. Not really happening so easily. Same with those superfugly body builders. Their muscle is too built up to be lowered by any quick means.

Except that "pecks" refers to birds attacking with their beaks. "Pecs", short for "pectorals", is what you're thinking of.

Jeff
14th January 2011, 10:28 PM
It was probably meant to be a pun. After all, we know how much NoA likes those puns when it comes to Pokemon.

Galdr
15th January 2011, 01:57 AM
It was probably meant to be a pun. After all, we know how much NoA likes those puns when it comes to Pokemon.

Oh Nintendo and their puns.
I wonder if they'll ever run out of them. ;D

Anyway, I actually like Pigeon Heart more. It sounds better to me, and romantic in a way.

DarkestLight
15th January 2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah they love puns -.-...

I wonder if the one pun with the least groans heard by others is the one that makes it in the game. If so, I dare not think of the other things they may have conjured up.

DarkestLight
23rd February 2011, 04:38 PM
Did't see any more appropriate place to put this, but I just read something that made my day.

The transfer Mechanism that allowed us to go between Gen III and Gen Iv games is back.

Its called PokeTransfer. However, the coolest thing about this, is that its not restricted to once a forsaken day! Meaning I can transfer all 493 beasts from Pokemon Box to Diamond to Black! Thank YOU! This saves me SO much arduous unnecessary leveling. Now to make sure I have all 493 IN Box. I know I'm missing like at least 50...like Rapidash. Stupid Rapidash.

Oh and there was some stipulation about not using this transfer method for the Shiny Dogs.

Blademaster
24th February 2011, 03:52 PM
How does the Transfer work? Do you have to go in a Park and catch them again, or can you just move a whole damn Box from one game to the other with ease finally after a fucking decade and a half?

DarkestLight
24th February 2011, 04:39 PM
Nope.Still 6 at a time. Only now instead of you running around in a park, you're playing a lil mini shooter game where you shoot Pokeballs at them.

Dark Sage
24th February 2011, 10:53 PM
Nope.Still 6 at a time. Only now instead of you running around in a park, you're playing a lil mini shooter game where you shoot Pokeballs at them.

I read about that. The pokemon leap across the screen like a shooting gallery, and you shoot at them with a bow and arrow, with the arrow tipped with a pokeball. Rarer pokemon tend to jump faster. After you catch all six, you can load six more.

Clark
25th February 2011, 07:05 AM
A shooting gallery sounds a lot less boring. :yes:

Blademaster
25th February 2011, 05:24 PM
But 6 at a time compensates by making it into a tedious chore after only a few tries, no doubt.

DarkestLight
25th February 2011, 06:21 PM
But 6 at a time compensates by making it into a tedious chore after only a few tries, no doubt.

Agreed. 493/6 = Too much effing time (really, 83 uploads? Wtf man)

But it still amount to less time spent on it than 6 a day, so I'm grateful for that. Right now I'm going through My Pokemon Ranch to make sure I have one of everyone, and then I'm shipping them back to Diamond, so I can have them ready to go. Too bad they can't have items :/ No Sacred Ash Ho-oh is really lame suck sauce.

Blademaster
26th February 2011, 04:11 PM
They can't have items... Fan-fucking-tastic.

Good thing I gave up on my Pokedex and just play the games for the Hell of it nowadays. At least until I get a newer DS model and can (hopefully) start trading again.

Jeff
26th February 2011, 08:19 PM
What I'm mad about is that they can't have HMs. We finally got the ability to get surfing Pikas with any nature again, and now we can't get any at all.

DarkestLight
26th February 2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah I'm aggravated about the HM clause as well. I gotta make sure none of these bastards have HMs on them. They better have a damn large storage facility come out very fast, I dun want those old 493 polluting up my game.

...Err wait O.o? If you took Surf or Fly off that Pikachu, could they relearn it after trading, since their coding allowed for it in the first place?? Prolly not, but I'm wondering if that could be the case.

Blademaster
27th February 2011, 03:22 PM
I doubt it. After transfer, the game probably just recognizes them as normal Pikachus. Which cannot learn Surf and Fly.

Poryhedron
27th February 2011, 07:54 PM
I'd imagine that's also true before transfer. My understanding is that the game doesn't do any patrolling of what moves a pokémon can know, merely what moves it can learn, and how. You can't teach a Pikachu Surf by any means, but when the Pokéwalker gives you a Pikachu with Surf on its movelist, the game doesn't bat an eye.

Much like if you use Game Shark to give a Pikachu Mind Reader and Sheer Cold; even well after you've put the Game Shark away, no action in the game is capable of saying "Pikachu forgot Mind Reader because it couldn't know that move in the first place!"

So 'their coding allowing for it in the first place' is irrelevant, because there's nothing special about that Pikachu's coding. Just the Pokéwalker's coding.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
28th February 2011, 03:42 AM
The more and more I look at the Snivy-line, the more and more I like them. Didn't expect that, but the final evolutions looks awesome.

YAY for snakes!

DarkestLight
28th February 2011, 04:49 AM
I see. Makes sense. Damnit :/ Gotta delete a bunch of HM's. Took this weekend to organize all of them, I'm missing 16 Pokemon total, 12 of which I can grab from my Emerald and Ruby versions, so I'm set, Alakazam trade is ready to go and yeah just a Blissey and a P2 and a stupid ass Delibird for the win.