PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen (84)

Zak
29th November 2010, 12:16 AM
Just heard about this now... this guy was a legend and will be missed.

RIP Leslie.

...And we won't call you Shirley.

classy_cat18
29th November 2010, 12:34 AM
*sniffles* Now I'll cry a little every time I watch Airplane!, and not from laughing too hard.

Drago
29th November 2010, 01:40 AM
Was shocked to hear this today. Leslie's always been old, but I never thought of him as being that old. R.I.P. Leslie! Thanks for your years of fine service!

Master Rudy
29th November 2010, 02:00 AM
Aw....shit. Been awhile since I've heard of a celebrity death that's actually bothered me. Always loved his comedy. Was pretty surprised to find out that prior to Airplane he was actually known for drama.

A sad day indeed. If you've never seen his work go watch Airplane or the Naked Gun movies.

Heald
29th November 2010, 02:15 AM
Good night, sweet prince.

kainashi
29th November 2010, 04:46 AM
RIP. you were a legend and will be missed. :(

Dark Sage
29th November 2010, 07:36 AM
Andrew, that wasn't nice.

Mr. Nielson was a very funny guy. He proved that you didn't have to make a political statement or cuss like a sailor to be a successful comedian. His movies were like joke books... Funny because they were simple, and just plain made you laugh your butt off.

Besides, Mr. Nielson had a film career that was decades long. Does anyone here know that he was in Forbidden Planet? Well, he was, along with many other classics of the Silver Age.

I'm gonna miss the guy... Rest in Peace Mr. Nielson.

Master Rudy
29th November 2010, 08:46 AM
Totally uncalled for Andrew.....what the hell is wrong with you?

Lady Vulpix
29th November 2010, 09:02 AM
I think almost everything Andrew does is uncalled for. He was probably just trying to get attention. And he got it. Now let's move on.

I learned about this today when reading Dominic Deegan. I was surprised, I didn't think he was that old. Yes, he was a good actor, and he made a lot more movies than I knew of. He will be missed.

Bear
29th November 2010, 12:44 PM
Was pretty surprised to find out that prior to Airplane he was actually known for drama.

Not to mention he was damn GOOD at drama (see: Poseidon Adventure). I think the best comedic actors are the ones that have done serious stuff, because it catches you so off guard. Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack (both in Airplane!) were also straight actors who shocked the hell out of everyone with that comedic role. I thought it was hysterical.

Blademaster
29th November 2010, 07:12 PM
What did Andrew say? I wanna know!

Also, farewell to an iconic actor. It's really a shame, because I know decades ago he was a great actor... and then...

...He died... with his major last film being Superhero Movie.

Master Rudy
29th November 2010, 07:17 PM
...He died... with his last film being Disaster Movie.

Huh.....didn't know he was in that. Kinda fitting in a way. His first comedy was a spoof on big budget disaster movies. His final film? A spoof of big budget disaster movies named......Disaster Movie :lol:

Somehow I get the feeling Mr. Nielsen wouldn't have had it any other way.

EDIT-Ok....typo on Blade's part. They had so many films the past few years named "_____ Movie" that I honestly thought he was in that for a second. Either way however you got to admit that would have been very fitting if it was his last film.

Blademaster
29th November 2010, 07:51 PM
The thing is that while Airplane! was a funny movie and a rather original film for its time, Nielsen's final major film was a total bomb and kinda strikes me in a Raul Julia tragedy way, except a LOT worse.

RedStarWarrior
30th November 2010, 01:28 AM
He never stopped being a drama actor, which is what made him so great in comedy! :)

Gavin Luper
1st December 2010, 02:17 PM
Leslie Nielsen was an absolute legend of comedy and so many of his films rank with my very favourite comedies! Rest in peace!