PDA

View Full Version : I Was Let Down By Square-Enix

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th December 2010, 02:54 AM
So, anybody here play Final Fantasy XIV? I haven't managed to create a character, and the page doesn't verify my VISA bank card number. So does anybody have any idea what kind of problem I am facing? Is it because I live in Finland and don't have the right kind of card? What should I do to get my account work? I know it should have 30 day free trial period but it seems I have to have the money anyway. I don't get it.

Blademaster
6th December 2010, 03:41 AM
Send me your credit card and I'll fix it.

Master Rudy
6th December 2010, 04:33 AM
Don't know what the issue is Mika as I have not played FF14. However I have heard that there are account creation issues currently. Perhaps you could try directing this question or either a Square Enix or Final Fantasy forum? In all honesty I think you'll stand a better chance at getting an answer at one of those places ^_~

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th December 2010, 04:36 AM
Send me your credit card and I'll fix it.

Nice one. You should give me your address for that.

Link
10th December 2010, 10:19 AM
I feel let down by Square Enix every time I play their games.

ChobiChibi
12th December 2010, 06:50 AM
I was let down by Square Enix when I found out they're making another re-hash Kingdom Hearts game on the DS instead of the proper sequel to KH2 that many fans desire.

But FFXIII is pretty epic. I'm fighting an airship and Snow keeps getting naked. Hell yeah!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
12th December 2010, 11:20 AM
Apparently, there's going to be a Playstation 3 version of FFXIV. So I'll just smash my computer to pieces.

ChobiChibi
12th December 2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the PS3 and Xbox versions come out in March. Still not sure if I'm gonna get it though...

Blademaster
12th December 2010, 04:09 PM
FFXIV

The Final Fantasy that one magazine gave a 4.5 rating to?

If I like the FF games on my list enough to get hooked on the series, I'm probably gonna skip that one, myself...

ChobiChibi
12th December 2010, 07:11 PM
I was kinda put off by the "you've just spent £30 buying the game, now spend another £35 on a subscription for it!"

Not that my laptop could run it. That's besides the point.

Might get it once I get Live again. So May time. But there are other games I'd much rather get/be playing to be honest...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
12th December 2010, 11:55 PM
The Final Fantasy that one magazine gave a 4.5 rating to?

If I like the FF games on my list enough to get hooked on the series, I'm probably gonna skip that one, myself...

But all the musics for that game have been made by Nobuo Uematsu himself! If I remember correctly, the soundtrack for the last few games have been made by another team. That's right, for me, just that music is enough.

PNT510
13th December 2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah, the PS3 and Xbox versions come out in March. Still not sure if I'm gonna get it though...

It's actually just a PS3 version and that has been delayed indefinitely until they fix all the problems with the game.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th December 2010, 10:56 AM
Should we make a deal Blade...

I'll play every Zelda game and you'll play every Final Fantasy game.

ChobiChibi
13th December 2010, 11:47 AM
But all the musics for that game have been made by Nobuo Uematsu himself! If I remember correctly, the soundtrack for the last few games have been made by another team. That's right, for me, just that music is enough.

The last game he did by himself was 9, he had two others working with him on 10. 12 was some randomer, 13 was one of the guys that worked on 10. Nobou refused to work on the soundtrack for 13 so that he could focus his attention on 14.

Masashi Hamauzu did an awesome job with 13. So many teary eyed moments ><

Also, I only know all this stuff cos I had to research it for my degree ^^; I'm not some kinda freak or anything >_>

I thought there was an Xbox version of 14 too... Alas D: Nevermind, won't be getting it after all.

PNT510
14th December 2010, 12:49 AM
Square wanted to make a version of 14 for Xbox but Microsoft is unwilling to budge on their strict certification process making it almost impossible to release an MMO on the platform. Strangely enough the only game they were willing to lift the restriction on was FFXI.

Weasel Overlord
14th December 2010, 05:09 AM
12 was some randomer

Nah man! Not a randomer, that was Hitoshi Sakimoto, he did Vagrant Story too~ I love that guy's music, it's so pretty and ethereal.

Anyway, that's all I have to contribute! No idea about FFXIV (I couldn't care less about MMOs, Final Fantasy or not), but I do know it's been having a lot of trouble for everyone, so it's prolly not just you Mika.

Bear
14th December 2010, 07:59 AM
Sad face @ MMO Final Fantasies. Why does Square continue to do this to me?

Also @ Blade - if you're going to get hooked, play FFVI or FFVII first. Those are the two best of the series (IMO). Don't start with something like Tactics or FF1 because they are a bit too heavy for beginners to grasp. Play those once you've become an FF mastar. Think of them as kind of the Elite Four of FF :D

ChobiChibi
14th December 2010, 11:13 AM
I just didn't get into 12, Kirst :( Despite all that time I spent leveling up Vaan so I could kick ass...

Although I did enjoy the ass kicking. And I can't deny Balthier's sexiness. Or all the adorable chocobos and moogles...

Okay, once I'm done with 13, I might give it another go >_>;

Bear
14th December 2010, 04:01 PM
Hardest part about 12 is getting yourself to tolerate the battle system. They made the game pathetically easy with Gambits, and irritatingly tedious without them. Focus more on the crisp and smooth graphics, the respectable attempt at conversion to a real time battle system, and the complexity of some of the Hunts.

Master Rudy
14th December 2010, 09:38 PM
I think saying FF14 is a mess is a major understatement at this point. Three messages straight from SE:

Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV's new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada

First of all, I would like to apologize for our inability to fully satisfy our users with the initial release of FINAL FANTASY XIV. I take full responsibility for the game's current situation, and have therefore made the decision to step down from my role as producer. A number of concerns that have been voiced by users, such as the design of the user interface, availability of tutorials and game content, and battle system functionality, represent key issues that must be addressed. While improvements are already well underway in many areas, we were unfortunately not able to incorporate player feedback as quickly as we would have liked. We are aware, however, that in many cases, addressing these issues will call for a reworking of game elements. As these changes are our first priority, they will be commanding our full attention and efforts. It is to that end that we have put a new organizational structure into place for the development team. Under this new system, FINAL FANTASY XIV will see changes and additions in line with the desires and expectations of players. Though no longer producer, I will be continuing to support the development team in other capacities, and personally hope that you will continue your adventures in the realm of Eorzea.

Hiromichi Tanaka

The development and management teams would like to make an announcement regarding personnel changes.

[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]
To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director
Naoki Yoshida

Section Leader Changes

Assistant Director
Shintaro Tamai (FINAL FANTASY X, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War)

Lead Game Designer
Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer
Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Technical Advisor
Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Next Generation Game Engine Development)

Lead Programmer
Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Senior Concept Artist
Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

Lead Artist
Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XI, THE LAST REMNANT)

Lead UI Designer/Lead Web Designer
Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

These members will make up the development team's new core-a core dedicated to ensuring we achieve a level of enjoyability that will more than satisfy our customers. Under a schedule of more frequent version updates, the new leaders and their respective sections will strive for continued improvements to FINAL FANTASY XIV service operation and development.

[Extension of the Free Trial Period]
As stated above, the newly restructured team's top priority is to bring about improvements to the game's enjoyability, and therefore we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

[Future Version Updates]
At present, the development team is putting the finishing touches on the previously announced version update, which is still slated for release in mid-December. In addition, there is one more version update scheduled for release before year's end. Details on the content and dates of these updates will be released in the near future.

[Delay of the PlayStation 3 Version Release]
Although the release date for the PlayStation 3 version of the game was previously announced as late March of 2011, we regret to inform that this date has been changed.

The PlayStation 3 release will be delayed until we are confident that the game has reached the level of enjoyability and service befitting the FINAL FANTASY name for users on all supported platforms. We offer our sincerest apologies to any fans anticipating the PlayStation 3 release, and humbly ask for your continued patience and understanding as both the development team and Square Enix as a whole strive towards making FINAL FANTASY XIV a truly enjoyable and unforgettable adventure.

[New Development Team Policy]
I would like to take this opportunity to greet all of you—those currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV, those who have taken a respite from playing, and those awaiting the PlayStation 3 release—and offer a brief word by way of an introduction.

No doubt there are very few, if any, among you who have ever heard the name Naoki Yoshida. To be sure, I have never been in the fore on any of the titles I have worked on in the past. I am, however, honored and privileged to work alongside many talented and inspiring colleagues, and with their support have enjoyed making games for a number of years. I am aware that a great many people will think the responsibility of leading FINAL FANTASY XIV is far too large a task for someone so unknown. After all, even my very best may seem no more than a drop in the bucket when considering the sheer scope of FINAL FANTASY XIV. But working together with me are the very talented and very capable development and management teams, whose dedication and motivation are unwavering. I would like to ask you to please put to rest uncertainties that you may have.

Now, more than ever, myself, the development team, and Square Enix as a whole, are committed to furthering our efforts to provide a quality service.

Everything we do will be for our players and customers.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director, Naoki Yoshida

Things must be pretty bad if SE was willing to admit the game sucks and to go as far as to completely trash the original team. I've seen FF12 and thought it was horrible although I thought FF13 was a bit better (it's still no FF6 however). Never did care for FF11 and to this day I hear a ton of mixed feelings on that game. Maybe Square should stop focusing on MMO's and leave Final Fantasy alone if they plan on doing more MMO's. In fact I still think they need to show some of their other series some love. I've been waiting 10 years for a new Chrono game! Bastards.....

Master Rudy
14th December 2010, 09:48 PM
Square wanted to make a version of 14 for Xbox but Microsoft is unwilling to budge on their strict certification process making it almost impossible to release an MMO on the platform. Strangely enough the only game they were willing to lift the restriction on was FFXI.

Not to mention that they also don't like companies releasing free DLC on Live. From what I've heard and can gather if a company releases free DLC for a game they have to release something that isn't free alongside of it in order to get approval. The exception seems to be when they pack in a free code to download something into a game.....after all you have to buy it to get the code :P

Blademaster
15th December 2010, 03:17 AM
But I've already played the original FF, Bear... :o

DarkestLight
15th December 2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah I dunno. Tactics is a fun game on its own, that one I 'd say you should play if only for the ninja influence, lol. Sides, if this was 10 years ago..no that would be 2000, damn, I actually hafta say 15 years ago now...then we would recommend FFII and FFIV.

So I figure it doesn't matter where you would have stared from Blade, as long as each one you played (since they're all singular games) you enjoyed.

Master Rudy
15th December 2010, 07:26 AM
So I figure it doesn't matter where you would have stared from Blade, as long as each one you played (since they're all singular games) you enjoyed.

Yeah....each one has had it's pros and cons. Personally I think these are the ones you can't really go wrong with:

Final Fantasy (either of the 16 bit remakes, PS1/GBA)
Final Fantasy 4 (go with the DS version)
Final Fantasy 6 (GBA remake/retranslation)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS1....good but not as epic as people make it out to be.....that title belongs to FF6 :P)
Final Fantasy 8 (PS1, while the story is slightly weak at times it's not as bad as people say)
Final Fantasy 9 (PS1, another one that's better than people say.....just remember to level team members up evenly or this one WILL bite you in the ass!)
Final Fantasy 10 (PS2, great story....too linear however, also easy compared to older games)
Final Fantasy 13 (PS3/360, story has a good start to it....however you'll mainly be playing as Lightning for 90% of the game with the rest of the team being AI controlled)

Zak
15th December 2010, 07:55 AM
MMO FF's are a no-go for me, for a reason. I will admit though that Uematsu returning does kind of make me curious, but whatever, I'll listen to the soundtrack but not play the game.

I have yet to play 13, but dare I say I actually enjoyed 12? I agree it had a shitty story, but if you're someone that likes to enjoy the challenge of completing a game 100% and doing all the sidequests/secrets and getting everything, then 12 can be pretty fun. On the second playthrough, that is. It's really got some of the most insanely difficult bosses that actually do require strategies, as opposed to finding some cheapass way to win.
As well as a lot of crazy secrets... I know a lot of people hate how there's things like the Zodiac Spear and Excalibur and Zodiac Escutcheon which are practically impossible to obtain without a guide, but I kind of like it.

Though I do admit I have kind of a love-hate relationship with it, because I mean after finally completing it, I never ever wanted to play FFXII again. At least not for another 3-5 years.

Master Rudy
15th December 2010, 08:04 AM
Though I do admit I have kind of a love-hate relationship with it, because I mean after finally completing it, I never ever wanted to play FFXII again. At least not for another 3-5 years.

Got to agree with you there Zak. Of all the Final Fantasy games I've finished I think that 6 and 7 are the only ones I've actually replayed without getting bored.

Weasel Overlord
15th December 2010, 08:09 AM
at the risk of turning this thread into a FFXII-discussion, I HEAR YA, ZAK! I am currently in the middle of fighting Yiazmat, with only the Fishing Sidequest, Omega and the Sky Pirate's Den left to finish and yeah, I totally agree about the hardness. It may be a long time before I wanna play through it again after trying to get all of those bloody Quickenings. :/

I disagree about the gambit system making things too easy, though. You don't even get the majority of the good gambits til quite late on, and I'm not sure I used them like everyone else, because I ALWAYS have them turned off for my party leader. You want a challenge in XII? Go into Zertinan the first chance you get and try and beat Adrammalech like I did. Fucking horrible. And doing a run for Zodiac Spear in the Necrohol as early as you can, too. Brr, Baknamys. And the Rare Beasts are right fuckers, too (and some of the Marks - I'm looking at you, Ixion and Chaos -_-), gambits or no.

Master Rudy
15th December 2010, 08:17 AM
Well since this IS slowly turning into a general FF topic let me steer the ship back around towards 14. While Mika was mainly upset about having trouble making an account there's plenty of problems with FF14 currently. In fact the topic title itself pretty much sums up the feelings of many of the people that played the game:

"I was let down by Square Enix"

In fact one Japanese guy was so upset he sold his entire SE stock in an attempt to make a statement. No idea how many shares it was but it accounted for a bit over 1% of the entire company and make the stock take a slight dive. Of course I won't feel bad for the guy.....he only made $26 million US on the sale.

Anyway what are your thoughts in regards to SE pretty much replacing the entire FF14 team and making it F2P until they iron out the bugs? That's the kind of thing that can absolutely kill an MMO. Could it be a problem just simply related to FF14 or is it possible that this may be a sign of bigger, currently unknown to the public issues?

Bear
15th December 2010, 09:24 AM
I disagree about the gambit system making things too easy, though. You don't even get the majority of the good gambits til quite late on, and I'm not sure I used them like everyone else, because I ALWAYS have them turned off for my party leader. You want a challenge in XII? Go into Zertinan the first chance you get and try and beat Adrammalech like I did. Fucking horrible. And doing a run for Zodiac Spear in the Necrohol as early as you can, too. Brr, Baknamys. And the Rare Beasts are right fuckers, too (and some of the Marks - I'm looking at you, Ixion and Chaos -_-), gambits or no.

Which gambits are the "good" ones you have to wait for? The best gambits are the "Ally HP < __%:" and "Self" gambits for Curing and Buffing, which you get, like, immediately. Those alone made the game a million times easier. I do agree with you on the difficulty of the other things, but you had to MAKE them difficult on yourself by attempting them insanely early. I can't really think of any point in the story that you HAD to complete to proceed that I didn't defeat with ease the first time. Most of the difficult stuff is optional (you don't technically have to enter the Necrohol, Nabreus Deadlands, or Zertinan Caverns AT ALL to progress the game, do you?). It just would have been nice to have a storyline boss or two that was a real challenge, you know? I won't even begin to discuss how cheap Quickenings are (although their graphics are off the CHAIN son!).

So I guess, in conclusion, FFXII's base storyline was ridiculously easy, and the sidequests were quite challenging. At least it was better than FFIX where the most difficult sidequest was Ozma (with a WHOPPING 65,565 HP -_-). Now that I think about it, FFIX is the only FF I can think of where there wasn't an insanely HP'd boss or two (maximum HP of any boss at any point in the game was 66,595). I liked the Weapons of VII and VIII with their 1,000,000 HP and wide array of super damaging attacks *twitch twitch*. Of course, then Square was all like "1,000,000? Psh try 50,000,000 you fuckers"

Zak
15th December 2010, 11:06 AM
at the risk of turning this thread into a FFXII-discussion, I HEAR YA, ZAK! I am currently in the middle of fighting Yiazmat, with only the Fishing Sidequest, Omega and the Sky Pirate's Den left to finish and yeah, I totally agree about the hardness. It may be a long time before I wanna play through it again after trying to get all of those bloody Quickenings. :/

My last playthrough (my third I believe), I beat EVERY Esper, and EVERY mark hunt, as SOON as it became available. I'd always avoid advancing the story at all costs until there was literally nothing left to do. And that does include completing the Bestiary all the way in each area, getting every possible piece of equipment you can own up to that point (using a table of what the chests can give and trying them over and over until I get the thing), and all that. And along with that, complete all the Bazaar recipes. So I wouldn't leave an area until I got a sufficient amount of all the available drops/steals.

All I have left to do, and I mean ALL, is get the dreaded four pieces of equipment dropped by certain Rare Game... one of which can be used to kill Yiazmat quickly. But I beat him with the Fomalhaut using Dark Shot, did 9999. I think that is the fastest way without Yagyu.

Oh, and I haven't killed a Lv 99 Red Chocobo. Not that that adds any special reward, nor is it even recognized by the Bestiary. Just bragging rights.

But want something real time-consuming? Make the TOURNESOL. That takes bloody forever... but I was actually reminded of it because defeating a Lv99 Rare Chocobo helps get that done faster.

Bear
15th December 2010, 11:22 AM
The hardest part of the Tournesol is getting the bloody Hell-Gate Flames from Cerberus. Those things don't drop for shit. Other than that it didn't really take me that long. Also, if getting the Vagyu Darkblade is too much of a pain, the next best Ninja Sword (I forget what it's called...Iga Blade maybe?) should still do 9999 each hit or close to it, making it far superior and faster than the Fomalhaut w/ Dark shot (which doesn't combo and is slow as balls -_-). Couple the ninja sword with a Genji Glove and you'll be doing massive combo-age, leaving the Fomalhaut in the dust even if each hit isn't quite 9999. Yiazmat will still take you several hours even at the fastest possible speed so meh.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th December 2010, 12:12 PM
Well since this IS slowly turning into a general FF topic let me steer the ship back around towards 14.

You didn't succeed. Bear and buddies already go on and on with their XII debate. But I don't mind, we can talk about Square's most popular series in general.

Ironically, the only Final Fantasy I haven't even seen is...

VI

You heard it right, the sixth one, which many praise was the best of the series! I don't even know what Kefka looks like! And this is not because a friend of mine said that one sucks. The reason he said it sucked were its graphics, where I think he missed the point. I just haven't seen VI anywhere, so I haven't been able to buy, download or try it!

I do have the remakes IV and V on Playstation, and they are on my to-do-list.

Then I must hurry to mention Final Fantasy VII, I love its atmosphere, and soundtrack. So many memories as I have played it again and again during my life. Aside Super Mario main series, and Pokemon, my absolute favourite game forever.

I originally got VIII in Japanese and it brings some memories as well, but the earliest of those memories were bad. Now I regret I didn't steal the one in its original language. But what I'm trying to say is VIII may disappoint you first, but if you think openly enough it becomes really interesting. I returned to the game again and again until I realized that I could be able to finish it. Nobuo Uematsu's music is not as good as in VII, but there are still some pieces worth remembering. I also master Triple Triad.

I didn't get IX's card game at all, but I still managed to play it through last year. Damn it felt good to save a world again. And I didn't have to level up the characters evenly, I still made it.

Somehow I haven't had time to play X as well as my XII is still unfinished. The Gambit system is nice.

And I have decided that I won't touch X-2 until I have played through X. I have watched my friend play X-2 a good deal and know it's relatively easy. Sphere Break is a swear word though.

The awesome XIII was a must to finish, I've already done it. Funnily enough, I had to change my battle team for the final battles. That's right, I couldn't make it with my usual main threesome!

Bear
15th December 2010, 02:12 PM
Ironically, the only Final Fantasy I haven't even seen is...

VI

You heard it right, the sixth one, which many praise was the best of the series! I don't even know what Kefka looks like! And this is not because a friend of mine said that one sucks. The reason he said it sucked were its graphics, where I think he missed the point. I just haven't seen VI anywhere, so I haven't been able to buy, download or try it!

I originally got VIII in Japanese and it brings some memories as well, but the earliest of those memories were bad. Now I regret I didn't steal the one in its original language. But what I'm trying to say is VIII may disappoint you first, but if you think openly enough it becomes really interesting. I returned to the game again and again until I realized that I could be able to finish it. Nobuo Uematsu's music is not as good as in VII, but there are still some pieces worth remembering. I also master Triple Triad.

To address the first point, you can't find VI by itself anymore as a PS1 game. You have to buy the "Final Fantasy Anthology" version which comprises V and VI. You can still find it pretty easily and cheaply on ebay, but just wanted to point this out in case you were just searching for FFVI.

You hit VIII right on the money for me. The first time I played it I hated it too. Then, years later, I came back and gave it another go and I really got into it. I especially liked the improved graphics of the GF summons (Quetzacotl is my fav of the whole series), and the junction system was cool once I learned what it was all about. I had to give FFT a second chance as well, and it ended up being one of my all time favorites.

PNT510
16th December 2010, 09:38 PM
Not to mention that they also don't like companies releasing free DLC on Live. From what I've heard and can gather if a company releases free DLC for a game they have to release something that isn't free alongside of it in order to get approval. The exception seems to be when they pack in a free code to download something into a game.....after all you have to buy it to get the code :P

Well Microsoft also has the policy that a company cannot charge for DLC if they release the same content for free on the PS3 so that would invalidate the no free DLC rule.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th December 2010, 08:49 AM
Bear, here in Europe, IV and V are the Anthology.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Mikayuta/img014.jpg

Just checked my Gmail today. I had received an apologizing E-mail from Square-Enix as well. The same one Master Rudy presented.

ChobiChibi
18th December 2010, 12:20 PM
I was un-let-down by Square Enix when I got this advertised in an email: http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=details&id=33

AJOpfgsjpogjsogpsjgs I wish I had £125 to meet Nobou Uematsu ;o; *spazz die*

Bear
21st December 2010, 11:45 AM
Bear, here in Europe, IV and V are the Anthology.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Mikayuta/img014.jpg

Just checked my Gmail today. I had received an apologizing E-mail from Square-Enix as well. The same one Master Rudy presented.

So you can't play the American versions eh? Well that sucks. I'm not sure how else to obtain VI in your case then, unless you get it for the GBA or FFIII on an SNES emulator. It's a shame too, because VI was the best of the entire series IMO. Great dialogue and story.

Master Rudy
21st December 2010, 03:12 PM
So you can't play the American versions eh? Well that sucks. I'm not sure how else to obtain VI in your case then, unless you get it for the GBA or FFIII on an SNES emulator. It's a shame too, because VI was the best of the entire series IMO. Great dialogue and story.

Not to mention the fact that I found Kefka to be a much more dangerous (and entertaining) villian than Sephiroth. Granted I won't argue that Seph had his moments but in terms of how evil they were Kefka will always have him beat.

Plus there's the fact that Kefka is so far the ONLY villian in the main series to actually SUCCEED in destroying the world. Terra, Locke and Celes are the three with the biggest claim on being the main character of FF6 and since RPG's almost always have a revolving door of characters no one thinks anything of it. However to actually split up the party and make you play after the world is destroyed really took balls on Square's part. It's one of those plot twists that would have been wrecked had the game been released in the PS1 era. All this build up and all the tough fights leading to the assumed confrontation with the Emperor only to have Kekfa take center stage......wrecked by the fact that you're still on disc one :P

Homicidal clown>Insane guy with mother issues ^_~

Weasel Overlord
22nd December 2010, 04:33 AM
oh wtf Rudy, thanks for the spoilers! -_-

ah Mikachu, I sold my separate PAL FFVI aaaages ago because I couldn't stand to play it on a tv (I was gonna get the GBA one but never had enough money at the time) - it's a shame because I'd have given it to you. amazon have it for about £20 though, if that's a viable option. not bad for an old, hard-to-find PS1 game considering they sell Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve for well into the £30s.

Telume
22nd December 2010, 06:55 PM
Square-Enix, overhyping the Final Fantasy series since 2001 -_-.

Is Nobuo Uematsu still doing the music?

Master Rudy
23rd December 2010, 02:22 AM
Square-Enix, overhyping the Final Fantasy series since 2001 -_-.

Is Nobuo Uematsu still doing the music?

I believe either 10 or 11 was his "last" game but he did come out of retirement to do FF13.....as least there was one good thing about the game :P

oh wtf Rudy, thanks for the spoilers! -_-

Seriously? You had no clue about that? The world getting destroyed in FF6 is just as well known as Aerith getting killed in FF7 thanks to the coverage in various mags from 1994 and the original game even coming with a giant fold out map of the world before and after. It's even listed as an example on the You Should Know This Already/Late Arrival Spoiler (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouShouldKnowThisAlready) page at TV Tropes.

Remember folks....there's a stature of limitations in regards to certain spoilers:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215535297_B2j5j-L-2.jpg

ChobiChibi
23rd December 2010, 07:59 AM
The last game he did by himself was 9, he had two others working with him on 10. 12 was some randomer, 13 was one of the guys that worked on 10. Nobou refused to work on the soundtrack for 13 so that he could focus his attention on 14.

Masashi Hamauzu did an awesome job with 13. So many teary eyed moments ><

I had to repeat myself. This makes me rawr >:(

Telume
24th December 2010, 01:42 PM
I thought everyone who played the Final Fantasy series gave the older games a run at LEAST once.

Those games are classic, if you haven't played the older games then I'm sorry but in my opinion, with all due respect, you ARE NOT a true Final Fantasy fan until you've played through them and appreciated them for what they are.

Those games are classics and the modern era just doesn't do them enough justice.

Master Rudy
25th December 2010, 01:00 AM
I thought everyone who played the Final Fantasy series gave the older games a run at LEAST once.

Those games are classic, if you haven't played the older games then I'm sorry but in my opinion, with all due respect, you ARE NOT a true Final Fantasy fan until you've played through them and appreciated them for what they are.

Those games are classics and the modern era just doesn't do them enough justice.

Quoted for truth folks ^_~

With the exception of FF3 on the DS I've played the first ten games in the main series in some form at least once each (and even X2). Personally I didn't care for the second game but I can easily say that you can't go wrong with any of the others

11 should NOT have been part of the main series. Square should have simply called it Final Fantasy Online and left it at that. 12 I heard too many bad reviews on and it was a pretty telling situation when I walked into a Wal-Mart a mere three months after release and they were already marking them down to $20. From the bit I've played of 13 it seemed good. As for 14....well we're all heard the problems. Also refer back to what I said about 11 :P

Telume
25th December 2010, 10:46 AM
11 was an interesting idea just, badly executed IMO. 12 pissed. me. off. 13 probably was at least somewhat good but it came too little too late for me and 14 well... it's probably just 11 with prettier graphics.

Link
25th December 2010, 11:07 AM
I am pretty sure that Uematsu is still doing the music for the modern FF games. He did FFIV for the DS and I liked it.

PNT510
25th December 2010, 05:36 PM
Quoted for truth folks ^_~

With the exception of FF3 on the DS I've played the first ten games in the main series in some form at least once each (and even X2). Personally I didn't care for the second game but I can easily say that you can't go wrong with any of the others

11 should NOT have been part of the main series. Square should have simply called it Final Fantasy Online and left it at that. 12 I heard too many bad reviews on and it was a pretty telling situation when I walked into a Wal-Mart a mere three months after release and they were already marking them down to $20. From the bit I've played of 13 it seemed good. As for 14....well we're all heard the problems. Also refer back to what I said about 11 :P

The reason why you found it for $20 so soon was two reasons. It came out near the end of the PS2 software cycle where games just didn't sell as much and two Final Fantasy game sales are very front loaded. They sell almost all their copies in the first two weeks at retail. FFX and FFXIII both had quick price drops as well due to front loaded sales.

DarkestLight
27th December 2010, 11:37 AM
o.O Hrm. What do people think about FFChronicles/Crystal Chronicles/forced-4-player-hellion-bull.? I never hear anyone talk about them :/

Link
27th December 2010, 11:49 AM
I bought the first Crystal Chronicles at Gamestop awhile ago, like say 3-4 months ago, and haven't played it due to a limited time on my part, but I will say that when I have time I will play the heck out of it because of the success it has had from reviewers. I guess people don't like to talk about Ring of Fates or Echoes of Time, but the original CC is still something of a gem to me because it's not a lame FF game by any means.

ChobiChibi
27th December 2010, 02:18 PM
I am pretty sure that Uematsu is still doing the music for the modern FF games. He did FFIV for the DS and I liked it.

FFIV was his music the first time it was released. Why would they change it for a remake?

I've got the first Crystal Chronicles on DS too. I liked it until I got stuck XD; I completely understand how to beat the boss, but I can't do it >_>

Link
27th December 2010, 04:27 PM
Oh. Well, Uematsu did a really good job with the FFIV remake on the DS. The battle, and dungeon music for it, is amazing in its quality. Before the beginning of the game really sealed the deal for me.

Telume
27th December 2010, 07:56 PM
I know I'm probably gonna get crucified but, I actually hated the DS remake. Not because of the game, I loved the original game but.... voice-overs, WHY? WHY??!! WHY??!! It killed the experience for me, when I heard there were voices in it, I got SO pissed off.

Don't get me wrong, not that I don't like voices (if that were the case I wouldn't be getting too many modern games now would I?) I just, bleh, I don't like voices in what's supposed to be a remake of an old game, they kept it silent for FF3 which is a remake of an NES game, why couldn't they do the same for 4?

Bear
3rd January 2011, 11:36 AM
Am I the only person who actually enjoyed 12? I understand everyone's beef with it, but it's actually pretty fun if you can stop yourself from analyzing it too much -_-.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
3rd January 2011, 11:56 AM
No, you're not the only one. The Gambit system is great fun, in my opinion. The world is huge in a way different from the other FF series games. It's.... a different Final Fantasy, me likes it.

Link
3rd January 2011, 04:34 PM
It you liked 12, you'll enjoy FF12-Revenant wings. I played it years back for the first time after buying it from the store (gamestop in the next town over from where I live), and seeing familiar faces was a great thing to behold, and it actually is pretty challenging in some of the missions.

Bear
3rd January 2011, 06:41 PM
I like how you say "years ago" when 12 only came out in what, 2009?

Telume
3rd January 2011, 07:20 PM
I never played 12 so I can't really say but, a lot of my friends said they hated it.

Link
3rd January 2011, 08:11 PM
I like how you say "years ago" when 12 only came out in what, 2009?

XD. Yeah, I meant to put a "not that long ago" in there somewhere.