PDA

View Full Version : Wait! What do you mean that song is a cover?!

Master Rudy
21st December 2010, 12:38 AM
Well it's happened to all of us at one point or another. We hear a good song we like and then get our minds blown when we find out it's actually a cover.

Topic should be self explainatory......what songs have you heard that you later found out were covers? If possible You Tube links would help:

h0i62GnQoo0

We've all heard this song.....Sublime's version of Smoke Two Joints was always popular and got a ton of play on the radio. However they didn't do the original.

vUsv4Lb7EQs

Yep.....good old Bob did the original song! And now that I've heard his version I think I prefer the original :P

shazza
21st December 2010, 01:10 AM
I hadn't heard Sublime's version until now, and it's pretty terrible.

And Bob Marley never did it; that's a popular misconception. The band, The Toyes, are the ones that originally composed and recorded 'Smoke Two Joints'. Bob Marley had never recorded ANY version. It doesn't even sound like him!

EDIT: And none ring a bell right now, however being a big Beatles fan, it was only recently I realised that 'Money (That's what I want)' was originally by them, and not Flying Lizards.

EDIT2: And I just realised it's not by The Beatles after all; it's by a band named Barrett Strong! It was pretty commonplace for bands in the 50's and 60's to do covers pretty soon after the original had been recorded. A lot of The Beatles songs from 'Please Please Me' and 'With The Beatles' were covers, actually.

Master Rudy
21st December 2010, 02:42 AM
You sure that's not Bob? It sounds like him to me anyway :-/

Either way it still makes for a good topic ^_~

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st December 2010, 04:13 AM
Cliché cliché, Jeff Buckley's halleluja.

shazza
21st December 2010, 04:19 AM
You sure that's not Bob? It sounds like him to me anyway :-/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Two_Joints

1983. Bob Marley died in '81, bro!

Lady Vulpix
21st December 2010, 06:37 AM
Most songs by Mercedes Sosa. When I was little I used to think they were hers, but then I learned that she always chose songs by other authors that weren't well-known and made them popular.

Jeff
21st December 2010, 08:04 AM
Pretty much every song sung by Elvis.

Like shazza said, it was pretty common practice back then to cover songs that were just released in other areas. Like, if someone out in California came out with a song, it was assumed that it wouldn't get popular on the east coast unless someone from the eastern US also performed the song. Elvis's job was to cover songs for the east coast market.

Bear
21st December 2010, 11:21 AM
Cover
egX9ZDaIrkU

Original
hXCKLJGLENs

Katie
21st December 2010, 09:57 PM
Land of Confusion by Disturbed... originally by Genesis. Fucking Phil Collins? What?

DarkestLight
21st December 2010, 10:25 PM
Land of Confusion by Disturbed... originally by Genesis. Fucking Phil Collins? What?

Watch your fucking tone, Phil Collins is GOD 'round there here parts!

Least to me. Phil Collins wrote 50% of all songs back then. The other half was Prince. :O

shazza
21st December 2010, 10:36 PM

Disturbed's version is far better though.

kazr
22nd December 2010, 03:30 AM
Johnny Cash's Own Personal Jesus is a cover from Depeche Mode
jQcNiD0Z3MU
Cash's is far superior.

shazza
22nd December 2010, 04:25 AM
I love how Johnny Cash did covers of artists that superseded him – Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is what I can recall off the top of my head.

Leon-IH
22nd December 2010, 08:54 AM
Danzigs cover of "Thirteen" - Danzig actually wrote it for Johnny Cash who recorded it in 1994, then Danzig recorded it 5 or so years later..

Cash Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OpGizuCmw
Danzig Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coTL7PZ8JiQ

Telume
22nd December 2010, 06:49 PM
Turn the page by Bob Seger, Metallica covered it.

3khH9ih2XJg

Bob Seger ^

sMqNFAU0tOw

Metallica ^

I personally have no like/dislike of either of them, the original matches what it was supposed to convey and Metallica's is just eerie but good both match their themes very well and each convey it well to the generation they were done for, even if one is a cover.

shazza
22nd December 2010, 07:03 PM
Danzigs cover of "Thirteen" - Danzig actually wrote it for Johnny Cash who recorded it in 1994, then Danzig recorded it 5 or so years later..

Cash Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OpGizuCmw
Danzig Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coTL7PZ8JiQ

That I didn't know!

Katie
22nd December 2010, 10:11 PM
Turn the page by Bob Seger, Metallica covered it.

3khH9ih2XJg

Bob Seger ^

sMqNFAU0tOw

Metallica ^

I personally have no like/dislike of either of them, the original matches what it was supposed to convey and Metallica's is just eerie but good both match their themes very well and each convey it well to the generation they were done for, even if one is a cover.

I love both of these

The_Missing_Link
22nd December 2010, 11:38 PM
I knew it was a cover when I first listened to it but I much prefer Eric Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff" over Marley's

There's also "Life is a Highway." I thought for a while that Chris LeDoux originated the song but it's Tom Cochrane. I still like LeDoux's version more though

MeLoVeGhOsTs
23rd December 2010, 03:53 AM
Where did you sleep last night.

iKT1P7x_Pzo

a6yCEsDsGx4

And apparently, the original goes way back, to unknown artist(s) back in the 1800's.