PDA

View Full Version : Amazing News!

Magmar
12th January 2011, 09:38 PM
just so i'm not plagiarizing :) (http://www.suite101.com/content/chicken-burritos-with-black-beans-a14215)

Chicken Burritos with Black Beans
An easy burrito recipe when you're in the mood for Mexican food.

Feb 19, 2007 Stephanie Gallagher
If you're like me and you love Mexican food, a recipe like this one will become a staple in your kitchen. It's fast, easy, and full of nutritious super foods.

Most chicken burrito recipes are made with flour tortillas. This one uses corn tortillas, and it's crispy, like a taquito or flauta. But unlike a taquito or flauta, these chicken burritos aren't fried; they're baked. The beans in this recipe are a true super food -- they're packed with fiber, protein, calcium and iron.
Chicken Burritos with Black Beans

* 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken breast
* 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
* 1/2 tsp. cumin
* 1/2 tsp. pepper
* 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
* 8 corn tortillas
* nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large cookie sheet generously with nonstick cooking spray. Coat it well enough to see a thin layer of oil. In a medium mixing bowl, combine black beans, chicken, cheese and spices. Divide mixture evenly among tortillas. Roll tortillas around filling and hold together with toothpicks.

Place on prepared cookie sheet. Spray tops of burritos generously with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 6 minutes. Turn burritos over and bake another 6-8 minutes, until golden. Remove toothpicks and serve.

Serves 4.
Read on

* Tomato Salsa Recipe
* Bean Recipes
* Chicken Taco Supreme

Per serving: 308 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 33 mg cholesterol, 42 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 26 g protein, 1% Vitamin A, 13% calcium, 17% iron

http://theatrestrikeforce.org/cutenews/data/upimages/burrito.jpg

so yeah burritos discuss

Telume
12th January 2011, 10:03 PM
Burritos, the food of the gods! Eat hearty.

kurai
12th January 2011, 10:06 PM
based on the above picture it seems that what is called a fajita here is actually a burrito
with further research i am still not sure of the real difference between the two

Jeff
12th January 2011, 10:12 PM
Burritos have beans.

Jeff
12th January 2011, 10:17 PM
You know, after seeing MG's similarly titled thread in Misc., I half-expected this thread to be all...

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5908/foundjesus.jpg

firepokemon
12th January 2011, 10:32 PM
No wonder Americans are stinking up the fucking place.

abunaidesu
13th January 2011, 12:26 AM
burritos are awesome

Andrew
13th January 2011, 03:09 AM
I love mexican food.

shazza
13th January 2011, 04:49 AM
Sounds delicious. I endeavor to cook boritos in the near future. Thank you, Magmar.

Lady Vulpix
13th January 2011, 06:02 AM
Kosher salt? You mean there's such a thing as non-kosher salt?

I've never tried a burrito. Actually the only Mexican food I've ever tried was a quesadilla, in New York. Unless nachos count.

RedStarWarrior
13th January 2011, 06:19 AM
I love mexican food.
Just not Mexicans.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th January 2011, 08:08 AM
SLURPS

Magmar
13th January 2011, 09:43 AM

I've never tried a burrito. Actually the only Mexican food I've ever tried was a quesadilla, in New York. Unless nachos count.

Kosher salt comes with much larger salt crystals than non-kosher salt. Non-kosher salt also has additives added to it, usually iodine at least here because iodine is tough to get in your diet. I'm not sure what foods have a lot of iodine besides fish, and seafood is a staple food where I'm at. Lobsters, clams and all the other dirty sea critters people consume are native to my snowy ass habitat.

If you want to try Mexican, I'd recommend cooking from home and sharing with a few friends. There are infinite ways to season a burrito and everyone seems to eat them differently; eating from home offers you the option to customize much more, how much guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, chipotle etc. you really want to eat. Thus if you go to a restaurant where they usually put a dozen or more different things in real fresh burritos, they usually use many ingredients that are otherwise not used in American cooking. Don't waste your money on something you might not enjoy!

As for me, I like my burritos with everything. Usually if I go to a place with a burrito bar where I can pick ingredients, nothing gets left out.

Magmar
13th January 2011, 09:44 AM
Oh, Mika, do they have Mexican food bistros where you're at? What sort of food diversity is out there in Finland? :P

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th January 2011, 10:44 AM
We have a Mexican-styled restaurant here in my town Ylivieska. Also a Chinese one and two fast-food ones, a bit like Mc Donald's. We also have two somewhat Turkish places, and 'traditional Finnish cuisine' is represented as well.

Shops have some variation as well, but eating out in Ylivieska is the way to go if you want to have it really exotic. In bigger cities like Oulu, there are more and more Chinese restaurants, fast food places and pizzerias and places like that. I myself was disappointed once when I visited Oulu because I wanted to eat in Japanese but all they had was a pathetic takeaway with sellers of FINNISH ORIGIN.

Telume
13th January 2011, 10:51 AM

According to wikipedia, Nachos are both, American and Mexican. It's part of Tex-Mex cuisine mostly.

Magmar
13th January 2011, 11:22 AM
Ylivieska sounds a lot like my city! Although Providence is significantly larger, we're also on a river, right near the shore, and lack good Japanese food.

Edit: And we also have like 11% unemployment rate lolz

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th January 2011, 11:29 AM
AMAZING NEWS, Magmar!

Bear
13th January 2011, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately, most of the "Mexican" food you are likely to find in countries not named Mexico is only an imitation, and usually not even close to authentic. For example, the notion that you can pick up a quesadilla slice with your hands and dip it in a sauce is preposterous, because an authentic quesadilla is eaten with a knife and fork. Correctly made quesadillas are too messy to be eaten with the hands, but American restaurants have bastardized them to make them more marketable to the public. Also, Mexican food in other countries (especially the US) is spiced differently and often not nearly as heavily, because the stomachs of the consuming culture are not accustomed to them. It's the same reason you have watered down Indian, Chinese, and African foods here in the US because our stomachs wouldn't be able to handle the real stuff.

Telume
13th January 2011, 12:08 PM
Unless you go to restaurants in certain cities, also restaurants close to the border tend to make it authentic.

Magmar
14th January 2011, 08:17 AM
Or you go to the small burrito place in the ghetto owned by actual mexicans and get yourself some california tacos son...

Lady Vulpix
14th January 2011, 08:44 AM
This thread has too much valuable content for Mt. Moon. Should we move it to Misc?

Thanks for the tip and the information, Magmar.

I was puzzled when I read "pico de gallo", which literally means "rooster's beak". But then I looked it up and found out it was a mixture of chopped tomatoes, onions and chilis.

It's true that traditional foods from each country usually get diluted or changed one way or another when offered at other countries. More often than not, they do it because they think the change will suit the local tastes better, which frustrates people who are looking for an authentic taste. In that case the best thing you can do is try to ask people from that country. And sometimes it's just because the original ingredients are unavailable or hard to get, in which case there's not much that can be done.

Bear
14th January 2011, 09:04 AM
There's a neat little authentic Mexican place right near where I used to live. Sarah and I used to go there all the time because it was amazing.

Seconding Gabi's idea to move to Misc - good info here.

ChobiChibi
14th January 2011, 03:34 PM
We have a Mexican-styled restaurant here in my town Ylivieska. Also a Chinese one and two fast-food ones, a bit like Mc Donald's. We also have two somewhat Turkish places, and 'traditional Finnish cuisine' is represented as well.

Would that fast-food chain be called Hessburger? I've been to Hessburger :D But in Estonia, not Finland.

I've never seen mayo like the kinda mayo they shoved on my chicken Hessburger. It was weird, and a lot of it, but quite nice.

Blademaster
14th January 2011, 03:39 PM
Hooray, now I can get postcount for posting here.

I like tacos.

Ta.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th January 2011, 06:13 AM
Would that fast-food chain be called Hessburger? I've been to Hessburger :D But in Estonia, not Finland.

Nope, I believe there's only one King Meal and it's here in Ylivieska.
http://www.kingmeal.fi/Content/Img/155_yritys4.jpg

Then there's Scanburger, which is a little bigger chain.
Scanburger (http://www.scanburger.fi/index.php?name=Content&nodeIDX=2)

There's a Hesburger in Kokkola at least, and also in Oulu, the town I already mentioned.

Andrew
15th January 2011, 10:59 PM
Just not Mexicans.

I've never met a Mexican person. Honestly.

DarkestLight
15th January 2011, 11:48 PM
Or you go to the small burrito place in the ghetto owned by actual mexicans and get yourself some california tacos son...

Magmar speaks truth, yo. Mexi cart food is legit up here in NY. And uhh about Quesadillas, yeah they're "authentially" huge, but I'd still be able to cut a slice out and eat with my hands. I dun like knives and forks anymore.

Deadwood_Zen
16th January 2011, 12:37 AM
I've never met a Mexican person. Honestly.
There's a HUGE hispanic population here in Nevada.

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 08:45 AM
There's a much larger Hispanic population here in Buenos Aires (since most of us are Argentinian and there are also a lot of people from Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay and Spain), but hardly any Mexicans.

abunaidesu
16th January 2011, 12:39 PM
come to san francisco if you want a good burrito guys

Telume
16th January 2011, 12:42 PM
The Honduran version of the burrito I guess is the baleada:

http://www.visitesantarosadecopan.org/Recipes/baleada.jpg

It's my favorite food, no doubt.

Even though it looks like a taco, ingredients wise, it's as close to a burrito as you get.