PDA

View Full Version : Should the Horoscope signs be updated?

Master Rudy
13th January 2011, 07:13 PM
An odd news story I found today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41062376/ns/technology_and_science-science/?GT1=43001

Apparenly due to 3000 years worth of shifting the stars are not where they were originally. A prime example is the North Star. Currently it's Polaris. However back when the pyramids were being built the North Star was actually Thuban. In another 12,000 year it'll be Vega.

According to astronomers these are the so called "real" dates of the astrological signs (which include a 13th sign that the Babylonians ignored due to wanting 12 signs instead of 13)

• Capricorn: Jan 20-Feb 16
• Aquarius: Feb 16-Mar 11
• Pisces: Mar 11-Apr 18
• Aries: April 18-May 13
• Taurus: May 13-June 21
• Gemini: Jun 21-Jul 20
• Cancer: Jul 20-Aug 10
• Leo: Aug 10-Sept 16
• Virgo: Sept 16-Oct 30
• Libra: Oct 30-Nov 23
• Scorpio: Nov 23-29
• Ophiuchus: Nov 29-Dec 17
• Sagittarius: Dec 17-Jan 20

Thoughts on the story?

Asilynne
13th January 2011, 09:32 PM
So basically i'd be a pisces and an aries, not much changes for me except I'm on the cusp of Aries instead of Taurus. I'm not sure if they should be changed though.

Master Rudy
13th January 2011, 09:36 PM
No change for me either. As for the story I figured it'd at least be an interesting read. I too feel they shouldn't be changed since we've known them the previous way for so many years. It is however interesting to note that Ophiuchus was left out when the original system was made by the Babylonians. Guess you could chalk that one up to 13 being considered unlucky :P

Deadwood_Zen
13th January 2011, 10:17 PM
I'm too damn stubborn to be an Aries. I'm the epitome of Tauri :/

Heald
14th January 2011, 01:25 AM
Apparently horoscopes are complete bullshit.

Seriously, I'm pretty open minded about certain things of a spiritual nature, but horoscopes belong with homeopathy and power-bands in the pile of bullshit that nobody but stupid people believe in.

Magmar
14th January 2011, 08:20 AM
So apparently I'm a Gemini, not a Cancer. Cancers are supposed to be all la la I love my family I cry every time I watch a soap opera and Geminis are supposed to be all whee let's go to the club and get faced and hook up with as many people as possible.

I'm okay with the change.

Bear
14th January 2011, 09:02 AM
Instead of Libra I'd be Virgo the virgin...

No ty

kurai
14th January 2011, 09:54 AM
according to @ZodiacLife the applicable sign is based on your birth and not whatever the current state is

thanks twitter, thanks astrology, keep up the good work team

DivineAll
14th January 2011, 10:39 AM
Not much difference for yours truly. Still a Pisces, and given my personality in the real world, it's highly appropriate.

Ayeun
14th January 2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah... Ummm... I am SO not a bull... I think I will stay with myself and we can both be twins!

Bear
14th January 2011, 11:12 AM
Oh, an interesting coincidence I just noticed:

With the shift, my sign would supposedly change to Virgo, the Virgin. Now, I am not a virgin, but before the new year my fiance and myself decided that we would completely abstain from sexual contact until the wedding, which is in June. I guess that makes me kind of a born again virgin, which coincides with this Zodiac shift. Interesting, no?

Magmar
14th January 2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry Bear, but there are no rebates on the v-card once you give it up... :P

Bear
14th January 2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry Bear, but there are no rebates on the v-card once you give it up... :P

My sister says it makes me a temporary virgin XD

Lady Vulpix
14th January 2011, 12:24 PM
I'd be Pisces instead of Aries. I don't really care, but I'm used to the sheep sign.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th January 2011, 12:57 PM
Wobbly Earth means your horoscope is wrong (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41062376/ns/technology_and_science-science/?GT1=43001)
"The earliest known astronomer to recognize and assess the movement of precession was Aristarchus of Samos, who lived around 280 B.C.," Rao told LiveScience.

So your topic of conversation was already 2290 years old. Sorry Rudy. ;)

I don't know if the Babylonians had a fear of the number 13, and I used to be an expert. I do know they used numbers like 60 a lot since it is more easily divided than 10. That's why we have 60 seconds in one minute and 60 minutes in an hour.

As far as I'm concerned, horoscopes may be fun to read but I don't really believe in them. According to this new table, I'm not a Gemini but a Taurus. That's funny, according to Chinese Zodiac I'm an Ox so that sounds a bit same.

Blademaster
14th January 2011, 03:45 PM
Apparently horoscopes are complete bullshit.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Also, this would make me a Leo. Which is funny since that's my dad's name. Hum.

Jeff
14th January 2011, 05:14 PM
I don't know if the Babylonians had a fear of the number 13, and I used to be an expert. I do know they used numbers like 60 a lot since it is more easily divided than 10. That's why we have 60 seconds in one minute and 60 minutes in an hour.

That's probably exactly why they opted for 12 instead of 13.

Oh, an interesting coincidence I just noticed:

With the shift, my sign would supposedly change to Virgo, the Virgin. Now, I am not a virgin, but before the new year my fiance and myself decided that we would completely abstain from sexual contact until the wedding, which is in June. I guess that makes me kind of a born again virgin, which coincides with this Zodiac shift. Interesting, no?

Even more interesting is that with the shift, I would no longer be a Virgo...

Sweet!

Telume
15th January 2011, 12:42 AM
Thankfully for me, I'm not a horoscopes guy.

Deadwood_Zen
15th January 2011, 03:04 AM
I'm the epitome of Taurus, not a frakking Aries.

Andrew
15th January 2011, 10:58 PM
Look, I was told I was an Aries and I've spent YEARS reading my horoscope when bored at work or sitting in a doctor's waiting room and I'm sure as hell not changing now.

Magmar
16th January 2011, 04:01 PM
And Pluto is STILL a planet, god why do people keep telling me I'm wrong on this one, Mrs. M never lied to me in 2nd grade but she was a huge douche regardless

Cirrus
23rd January 2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I read about this a while ago, too. I'm a Taurus so Aires wouldn't be a big difference. Oh how I love science.