PDA

View Full Version : So I found this...

Jay Umbreon
16th January 2011, 09:41 AM
Looking back at it, its slightly gay to think I did that.

But it does illustrate the power and control that TPM had over a 13 year old boys mind.

http://i55.tinypic.com/xlb4md.jpg

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th January 2011, 09:57 AM
Oh my God. I always wanted to do something similar.

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 10:32 AM
I saw that image not too long ago. When did you make it?

abunaidesu
16th January 2011, 12:38 PM
that's hypnotizing

Telume
16th January 2011, 12:40 PM
Wow, someone actually kept track of their post count like that?

Cammy White
16th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Wow, I never tracked my post count, but I can see why someone might want to. There was always a sort of hierarchy to the 'status' when the board was booming!

The_Missing_Link
16th January 2011, 01:12 PM
lol, the post count thing is cute. I think everyone kept track when they first joined

Can't stop looking at the morphing Pokemon

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 01:44 PM
Wow, someone actually kept track of their post count like that?

Scary, isn't it?

lol, the post count thing is cute. I think everyone kept track when they first joined

Can't stop looking at the morphing Pokemon
Not really, I never did. I did look at it every couple of days back then, but I didn't write it down or even think about it much.

And yes, that image grabbed my attention too.

Neoleonightz
16th January 2011, 02:53 PM
The good ol' days, weren't they? =]

shazza
16th January 2011, 03:10 PM
Not really, I never did. I did look at it every couple of days back then, but I didn't write it down or even think about it much.

I am sure it has something to do with the fact the average age of users in 2001 was about 13-15, and you were like 30!

Drago
16th January 2011, 03:12 PM
Haha, I love it how you resurface every now and then with something fun like this, Jay.
The thing that caught my eye was the post increase on January 28th, where you went from 318 to 360. What in the hell were you posting about they day, I wonder?? Of course, back in the day there were so many threads to post in.

firepokemon
16th January 2011, 03:28 PM
OMG that is so cute.

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm starting to like you less and less, shazza. I'm 31 years old now. I was 21 when I joined.

Magmar
16th January 2011, 03:58 PM
I remember those days! When we first started, there was some fierce competition for who had the highest post count. I remember a couple years ago seniority here was a big whoop. Yeah so I joined on day 1. I'm king of a pokemon forum member list woohoo

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 04:01 PM
A king with no subjects. That's an interesting concept. Enjoy ruling over nobody, since I'm pretty sure no one's going to follow your commands. :P

By the way, how did you find TPM on the day it was created?

Heald
16th January 2011, 04:04 PM
TPM was a website before it had forums, dollface.

Magmar
16th January 2011, 04:05 PM
I was a follower of the site, and had begun getting involved with the Team Rating section. In November 1999 I was going to a tournament and had a team rated that yes included a Nidoqueen with Poison Sting D: D: D:

I was sick and home from school, logged onto TPM, and voila there was a forum there. I registered pretty much immediately. I used the random number generator in AIM chats (lolz) like //roll -dice=1 -sides=151 or whatever and got 126, which was Magmar!

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2011, 04:12 PM
TPM was a website before it had forums, dollface.

Well, sorry for finding the forums before I found the website.

Heald
16th January 2011, 04:19 PM
No problem sweetcheeks :)

The_Missing_Link
16th January 2011, 05:31 PM
Scary, isn't it?

And yes, that image grabbed my attention too.

I seriously doubt everyone wrote down their post count. I mean a lot of people were hyper aware of their rank and their desire to increase it

abunaidesu
16th January 2011, 06:19 PM
I am sure it has something to do with the fact the average age of users in 2001 was about 13-15, and you were like 30!

I was ten years old when I registered this account and only discovered TPM because I was looking for gameshark codes. ^u^

firepokemon
16th January 2011, 07:55 PM
Kevin made an update saying TPM was going to have a new feature and then it turned out to be forums wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The forums were absolutely crazy. There was no Misc so GD had so many random topics all in the same place. Post Count was very important and getting a decent post count was easy.

Rate 10 RBY teams. Check.
Rate 10 GS teams. Check.
Post in General Discussion. 10-15 posts easy.
Pretend to read a fanfic story and critique. Check.
Discuss Pokemon Anime. 10-15 posts easy.
Test signature. Bonus 5-10 posts.

Knight of Time
16th January 2011, 08:28 PM
Hmm, rather surprising image there, Jay Umbreon.

For me, I haven't kept track of posts on paper at all, I mean, the closest thing I keep track of on paper while using a computer is the amount of experience a character needs to level up whenever I play Phantasy Star II (a classic Sega Genesis title, but that's another story), especially before getting the item that allows you to save almost anywhere in the game instead of just in a town/city.

shazza
16th January 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm starting to like you less and less, shazza. I'm 31 years old now. I was 21 when I joined.

But I am a fan and defender of you, Gabi. I am not disputing that you are 31 now, I am just saying you were 31 back then, too. :(

Lady Vulpix
17th January 2011, 08:44 AM
What kind of logic are you using? Am I about to time-travel to the year 2000 or something?

Blademaster
17th January 2011, 09:57 AM
The joke.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9838/dscf2166o.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/i/dscf2166o.jpg/)

Link
17th January 2011, 10:02 AM
When I registered on this site, I was like 15 yeas old and didn't have a clue about posts and how to post on any forum. I am glad those days are over.

Deadwood_Zen
17th January 2011, 11:28 AM
I feel like such a loser, being only 15... I would've been 5 if I joined 5 years ago, so there's my excuse :P

MeLoVeGhOsTs
17th January 2011, 11:29 AM
You're really bad at math, no?

Neoleonightz
17th January 2011, 12:05 PM
I was 11! Haha, even crazier was that I also registered on this message board site called ezBoards and I still have my account there.. with over 30,000 posts!

Katie
17th January 2011, 12:38 PM
yay it's jay!

I was 13 and retarded as fuck. :] hey my 10 year is coming up this year! ....that's probably a bad thing

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th January 2011, 01:42 PM
I myself am on a habit of looking at THIS PAGE (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/memberlist.php?&pp=50&order=desc&sort=posts&page=2) almost daily. Yes, I may be pathetic, but I'm constantly called a devoted TPM addict.

Magmar
17th January 2011, 03:30 PM
yay it's jay!

I was 13 and retarded as fuck. :] hey my 10 year is coming up this year! ....that's probably a bad thing

I'm coming up on my 12 year o_o;;

Jay Umbreon
17th January 2011, 05:14 PM
I think, like a few people in this thread have already mentioned, post count and status was a BIG thing back in the early days, especially for a little kid. It became all about post count and how many pokeballs you had next to your name, and I guess that took over my life a little, haha.

I remember being out and about, like tagging along shopping with my family and that, and coming up with a poll to post in PCG - of course, we didn't have mobile phones back then, so I'd try and remember the poll idea or write it down.

I'd have to agree, it'd be way more gay and sad had I been any older than I was, or any less into pokemon than I was.

Gabi, I only found that piece of paper under my bed, around 5 days ago, and I took a picture of it the same day - so I don't know how you've already seen it.

I found a lot more in my pokemon collection too,
some of which can be seen here:

*** http://i54.tinypic.com/adyys7.jpg ***

Crystal Mew
18th January 2011, 12:53 AM
Jay!! :)

thats pretty cute. I think I joined tpm when I was..14? ah the good ol days.

Jay Umbreon
18th January 2011, 12:14 PM
Jay!! :)

thats pretty cute. I think I joined tpm when I was..14? ah the good ol days.

aww, nice to see you sam :)

its cool that a good chunk of the people I was closest to way back when, are still popping in here. now to find todd again (indecent exposure)...hmmm!

Drago
20th January 2011, 04:45 AM
I myself am on a habit of looking at THIS PAGE (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/memberlist.php?&pp=50&order=desc&sort=posts&page=2) almost daily. Yes, I may be pathetic, but I'm constantly called a devoted TPM addict.
Looking at page 3 atm... did we really have a member called Relle is Sexay (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=145)? Or is that just one of those random name changes that everyone did back in the day, and never got changed back?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th January 2011, 10:51 AM
Hello again, Jay.

Looks like you were really big into Pokémon back then, even more than me. :P

Oh, and speaking of post count ... I just passed 10,000 ... good for me!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th January 2011, 01:21 PM
Congrats AVMA!

I surpassed woz today.

Telume
20th January 2011, 02:38 PM
Congrats Mika!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd January 2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks Telume! For comparison, I posted 15 replies on that day.

If I counted right. So that IS possible in the current TPM, at least with my posting 'quality'. And I counted Mt. Moon too!

Blademaster
22nd January 2011, 12:43 PM
This thread is giving me mixed feelings...

Drago
24th January 2011, 03:34 AM
I was going through boxes of old crap and found something similar. Not TPM-related, but two double-sided pages covered in this...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/Squidomar/2011-01-24-2026-37.jpg

Every single Pokemon card I owned at the time. Looking at it makes me wonder, why in God's name did I not just type this up? Christ, what a waste of my youth.

Blademaster
24th January 2011, 10:57 AM
I used to have one of those...

:( The good old days...

Jeff
24th January 2011, 11:35 AM
I made checklists of all the cards I had. Didn't put the number of copies though, it was just for seeing which ones I had. This was despite the fact that I had them all organized in a binder in those 9-card sleeves, and could easily see which cards I had anyway.

But yeah, that brings back some memories. The good old days of trading Pokemon cards with the neighbor kids, making up over 100 fake pokemon, and drawing pictures. I even created my own cards and drew them by hand!

Dryk
24th January 2011, 10:11 PM
I managed to get all 150 original... the week after the second series came out.

I was so close.

Katie
25th January 2011, 11:49 AM
I still have everything from the base set except Chansey. Fucking stupid pink egg thing with utters for hair. Who wants you anyway.

Blademaster
25th January 2011, 02:18 PM
I have a Chansey.

I'll sell it to you for $50. :D