PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Can you hear it?

Magmar
21st January 2011, 01:14 PM
The supposed high pitched noise only teenagers can hear (http://audio.cbsnews.com/2006/06/12/audio1701350.mp3?tag=contentMain;contentBody)

I can't hear this noise at all, and I caution anyone using headphones from clicking it because apparently it's really irritating. At first I thought maybe my laptop just won't play that pitch, but then my cousin and my roommate who both have macbooks said they can, and it's awful. I'm kind of intrigued--who can and who can't?

Supposedly under-24s can hear it. I'm 24 and cannot, but my 23 year old roommate can!

Asilynne
21st January 2011, 01:27 PM
I can hear something on the edge of my hearing but it's whisper quiet. I'm 26. But Ben is 22 and can hear it as a high pitched sound, not too loud but not quiet either. That's interesting XD

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm 31 years old and I hear it loud and annoyingly clear. Heard it for about a second and a half before I closed the tab.

kurai
21st January 2011, 01:33 PM
TZZZZ tztztztzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
21st January 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm 33 and heard it, really high pitched that one was.

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2011, 01:46 PM
I've tested it with a few more people and everyone who was under 40 years of age could hear it. Only 2 people couldn't. One of them was my mom, who didn't hear it but felt an annoying sensation in her ears.

Jeff
21st January 2011, 02:14 PM
I couldn't hear anything. I even turned my sound all the way up.

... then I made the mistake of watching a video. Nearly jumped out of my chair.

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2011, 02:15 PM
I guess it's not as directly related to age as the first post suggests.

Blademaster
21st January 2011, 02:46 PM
I can't hear it.

But I can 'perceive' it. It's hard to explain. It's like when I'm coming downstairs and I can tell my dad is watching TV in the living room because I can 'hear' the electricity running through the wires.

...Yeah, I don't get it either. :s

ChobiChibi
21st January 2011, 04:24 PM
Oh, it is proven fact that as you get older, you're unable to hear higher pitches. There are so many external factors that influence it though. For example, people exposed to a lot of high decibel frequencies and loud noises are more likely to lose the ability to hear high pitches earlier in life than those that aren't.

Tis why we keep getting gently reminded that we should wear earplugs for band nights and the pit band gigs. A musician's hearing is precious, obviously.

But yes, I can hear it too. You oldies just must have good ears :3

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2011, 04:50 PM
Oh, it is proven fact that as you get older, you're unable to hear higher pitches.Yes, when you're 70+ years old, not when you're 24. I don't think age is the reason why some of us can hear that and others can't.

Dryk
21st January 2011, 04:58 PM
No, I don't thinks so, because I've heard some pitches before where people who were older than me but not that old couldn't hear it, so I think some of it is the way your inner ear changes as you get older.

ChobiChibi
21st January 2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, when you're 70+ years old, not when you're 24. I don't think age is the reason why some of us can hear that and others can't.

I already said there are other factors that contribute to whether you can hear that noise >_>

Here. (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hearing-impairment/Pages/Causes.aspx)

Age-related hearing loss
Age is the biggest single cause of hearing impairment. Hearing impairment that develops as a result of age is often known as age-related hearing loss, or presbycusis.
Most people begin to lose a small amount of their hearing when they are 30-40 years old. This hearing loss increases as you get older. By age 80, most people will have significant hearing impairment.
30-40. And a small amount. This is why the majority of us can still hear it, regardless of age.

Age-related hearing loss occurs when the sensitive hair cells inside the cochlea (the coiled, spiral tube inside the inner ear) gradually become damaged or die.
As your hearing starts to get worse, high-frequency sounds, such as female or children’s voices, may become difficult to hear.
^Why you lose your hearing.

Acoustic trauma
Another common cause of hearing loss is damage to the ear from loud noises. This is known as acoustic trauma, and it can occur when part of the delicate inner structure of the ear becomes damaged. After prolonged exposure to loud noises, the cells inside the spiral part of the cochlea become inflamed.
[...]
People who are at risk from acoustic trauma include:
those who work with noisy equipment, such as pneumatic drills or compressed-air hammers
those who work in environments where there is loud music, such as nightclub staff
those who listen to music at a high volume through headphones
My point about musicians needing to be careful...

Thanks, NHS <3

EDIT: So my actual point with all this quoting is that environmental factors (as well as certain illnesses) contribute to hearing loss. Like Asi, for example. Even though she's only 27, she could be a pneumatic drill user (that would be funny XD) and therefore not be able to hear that sound because of the effects that her job has on her ears. Or she could just listen to music too loudly in her headphones. Or she could have lost it prematurely due to illness. Or maybe it's even genetic. You just can't be sure.

Telume
21st January 2011, 06:02 PM
I can BARELY hear something.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd January 2011, 12:27 AM
I CAN HEAR IT

What can I do for you?

Deadwood_Zen
22nd January 2011, 12:31 AM
I've been getting that on/off in my ear for as long as I can remember. Though, it's not just whenever I heard a loud noise; it can be really quiet, and that'll just pop in.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd January 2011, 12:42 AM
I've been getting that on/off in my ear for as long as I can remember. Though, it's not just whenever I heard a loud noise; it can be really quiet, and that'll just pop in.

OMG me too! I feel I have heard that before many times!

abunaidesu
22nd January 2011, 01:08 AM
THIS THREAD IS FUCKING CRAZY

Magmar
22nd January 2011, 01:20 AM

The buzzing in your ears on a silent night? I totally hear that right now, aside from my typing. Then again I've been on a "suddenly I'm single" bender and am drunk againz

Deadwood_Zen
22nd January 2011, 01:36 AM
I really wish I could get drunk right now... Things would seem better(and maybe the ringing in my ears will stop).

kazr
22nd January 2011, 02:57 AM
My hearing is pretty terrible but I can hear it.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd January 2011, 04:30 AM
Tis why we keep getting gently reminded that we should wear earplugs for band nights and the pit band gigs. A musician's hearing is precious, obviously.

This is why I love you Chobi! Smart and a milk-lover!

I can hear it.

Lady Vulpix
22nd January 2011, 08:29 AM
OK, how come this thread is making our ears ring without even licking on that link now? (It doesn't sound the same to me, the ringing in my ears has a higher pitch, but it comes whenever I think of the other noise). This is too weird.

The_Missing_Link
22nd January 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm 23. I can hear it if I turn the sound all the way up

Heald
22nd January 2011, 11:24 AM
The real test:

Can you hear THIS NOISE? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik)

Telume
22nd January 2011, 11:39 AM
Is that the Glitch City (RBY) music? XD

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd January 2011, 11:49 AM
Videogame glitches aren't what they used to be.

Deadwood_Zen
22nd January 2011, 11:53 AM
I am a musician, albeit not a great one, if anything. I don't plan on living a day past thirty, so if my hearing goes bad in 40 years, I'll be long gone. Plus, Warped Tour is too damn epic for earplugs.

Asilynne
22nd January 2011, 12:19 PM
xD not exactly a drill operator but close enough, my job did kill my hearing I think. I worked at the post office with a lot of loud machines in the past, and I've been working at the animal shelter for almost 2 years now, with 100+ loud barking dogs in an enclosed place so that I know for a fact damaged my hearing. I'm managing the cat part of the shelter now though so it's a lot quieter but the damage has been done :( anything that can be done for it or is it too late?

Blademaster
22nd January 2011, 12:52 PM
The real test:

Can you hear THIS NOISE? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik)

I WAS gonna respond by linking the Crazy Bus music...

Then I clicked it.

Fucker.

Knight of Time
22nd January 2011, 01:01 PM
I checked it out...I could hear it...barely.

I mean, I've been well-aware of my fairly strong hearing for years, and that sound definitely sounded familiar, like the sound of my brother's hearing aids turned way down...I guess this MP3 can be a test of whether or not anyone listening to it has a strong sense of hearing...you guys agree with me here?

RedStarWarrior
22nd January 2011, 01:26 PM
I guess it's not as directly related to age as the first post suggests.
It correlates to age, but only if you abuse the volume controls on things. I mean, you lose your hearing over time for certain frequencies, but if you don't turn shit up too loud, then you are less likely to lose your ability to hear them.

I already know I can hear said frequency (only because I can hear all the annoying frequencies on the iPhone apps), but the page won't load for me currently.

Cammy White
22nd January 2011, 02:50 PM
That is so weird! I couldn't hear a thing, but when I played it my boyfriend suddenly went "What is that horrible noise?" We're both the same age, born 4 months apart. Weird!

Master Rudy
23rd January 2011, 12:16 AM
Ugh.....that was easily one of the more annoying high pitched sounds I've heard in awhile. Kinda hurt my ears actually :-/

I'm managing the cat part of the shelter now though so it's a lot quieter but the damage has been done :( anything that can be done for it or is it too late?

Once your hearing is damaged that's it.....if it's really bad you may want to look into making a doctor's appointment for a hearing test and see if you need a hearing aid Bran.

Cirrus
23rd January 2011, 12:19 AM
I do believe that there might be a certain pitch that only teenagers can here, but I believe the one buzzing around now isn't it. I'm 19 and I can hear it.

Asilynne
23rd January 2011, 12:03 PM
My hearings not bad enough to need a hearing aid o.o. I just can't hear things like dog whistles anymore lol

Blademaster
23rd January 2011, 03:45 PM
You could hear those to begin with?

Deadwood_Zen
23rd January 2011, 04:13 PM
I can hear dog whistles, they just hurt my ears. I can't hear as many low frequencies, which sucks because I like playing bass in drop tuning :[

Katie
25th January 2011, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately I can hear it. Do you know its frequency? Related, I read a news story about teenagers using a high pitch on their phones to cheat without their teacher hearing it too. Seems stupid, in the time it takes to learn morse code or whatever I'm sure you'd be able to learn how to multiply fractions or whatever legitimately.

Also I too can hear when a CRT TV is on but has nothing on the screen/no intentional audio. It's the most irritating thing. It's not the electricity in the wires though, wtf.

Blademaster
25th January 2011, 02:17 PM
Also I too can hear when a CRT TV is on but has nothing on the screen/no intentional audio. It's the most irritating thing. It's not the electricity in the wires though, wtf.

This, I don't get it either.

Maybe we're psychic?

Little_Pikachu
25th January 2011, 04:15 PM
After turning my volume up a bit I could hear the high pitched noise straight away and I'm a year off 30. Those electric cat scarers used to do my head in, I think I have sensitive ears, but I can easily not hear someone saying my name 2 foot away.

Deadwood_Zen
25th January 2011, 05:39 PM
It's a noise only awesome people can hear. And me.

crown34
25th January 2011, 05:41 PM
I'm 14 and I heard the sound, nearly burst my eardrums.