PDA

View Full Version : Gym "Obstacles"

chanveil
26th January 2011, 09:11 PM
What is your opinion on gym obstacles, such as the lift's in Byron's gym or
the warp panels in the Mosdeep Gym? Do you think Gym's should be done "Anime-style", in which you walk in the gym and challenge its leader?
Personally I find them fun, but a few were somewhat vexing. I'd also like some variety, however. I wouldn't mind a straight challenge, but I'd prefer obstacles be kept
for most gyms.

Jeff
26th January 2011, 09:14 PM
To me, it's part of the gym challenge. I like to think of gyms as being Pokemon's equivalent to dungeons. In Zelda, you don't walk into a dungeon and challenge the boss right away. Same thing here.

Dryk
26th January 2011, 10:21 PM
^ I agree, I think that its usually mostly fun, and sometimes the extra trainers are good quick experience for my lower leveled pokemon, so I would keep them there.

Andrew
26th January 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm trying to think of a time I enjoyed the Gym challenges. Probably Blaine's Question Machines or Giovanni/Blue's escalators.

Apart from that. No. I really don't like gyms with annoying little things. I want to get in, kick some ass and get out.

Blademaster
26th January 2011, 11:34 PM
I like clever ones, that make you think. Wallace's fragile ice floor, Blaine's quizzes, Morty's invisible paths...

All-battle Gyms like Norman's and the like can fuck right off.

I honestly think Gen IV overdid it a bit, too. Volkner's and Byron's Gyms were a bit unnecessarily complicated, and you STILL had to fight through a lot of them.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
27th January 2011, 12:07 AM
The gym challenges overall are interesting, without them you'd be just leveling up in a bush. Which is fun, too, though.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
27th January 2011, 03:18 AM
I like them, as long as there is enough fighting. Since that's what I came to do.

Magmar
27th January 2011, 04:38 PM
I liked them all, except for Lt. Surge's trash can puzzle. I found that more stressful than anything, what with having to save after finding the 1st, and reset if the next one is not the 2nd.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
28th January 2011, 08:00 AM
I always find them a bit annoying. You're finally in the gym, you want to challenge the Leader and you have to go through all those obstacles and warp panels and gym trainees first.

Blademaster
28th January 2011, 04:27 PM
I liked them all, except for Lt. Surge's trash can puzzle. I found that more stressful than anything, what with having to save after finding the 1st, and reset if the next one is not the 2nd.

Why waste the time resetting? I just randomly guess and find my path that way really easily.

Dogfish44
30th January 2011, 11:19 AM
Gym Challenges are important - They add a bit of training/mental exercise, which I like.

The one thing that annoys me is having to REDO the puzzles. Once they're done, they should stay that way...

Telume
30th January 2011, 01:15 PM
I think the biggest dick move was Fuschia's gym puzzle.

Player: "OH LOOK KOGA'S RIGHT THERE" *try to walk right up to him*
Wall: *NO U*
Player: *FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*

Blademaster
30th January 2011, 07:21 PM
...I don't think you quite grasp what "No u." means...

CuteLassJigglypuff
31st January 2011, 03:22 PM
I like the gym puzzles. The only one I hated is the annoying trash can puzzle in Lt. Surge's gym.

Telume
31st January 2011, 06:14 PM
I like the gym puzzles. The only one I hated is the annoying trash can puzzle in Lt. Surge's gym.

Watson's puzzle was pretty much a rehash of that, sort of.

chaos_redefined
2nd February 2011, 12:52 AM
Most of the first gyms were kinda lacking... Especially when you realize that their line-up is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty pathetic. They could have had some sort of puzzle to make it so that trainers who start their journey at the opposite side of the world have some sort of reason to think of these gyms as more than a quick badge. (Assuming that in the pokemon world, there are trainers who start over in, say Saffron City or Canalave City, and that it is pure co-incidence that we start in the town we do.)