PDA

View Full Version : Funny/odd translations

Lady Vulpix
23rd February 2011, 08:46 AM
Have you ever viewed a translated webpage and found phrases that made no sense at all, or took on a different meaning upon translation? You can share them here.

This is one I've found today.

Original phrase: "在台東都蘭有民宿業者發揮巧思,化腐朽為神奇將常人眼中不值錢的漂流木變成獨樹一格的傢俱" (in traditional Chinese).

Google translation: "There are blue in Taitung play ingenuity B & B industry, the impossible will be worthless in the eyes of ordinary people into a unique form of driftwood furniture"

Babelfish translation: "Has the people karma display ingenious conception in the Taitung Dulan, melts to not the valuable drift wood turn mysteriously decayed the average man eye in an alone tree standard the furniture"

Source: http://blog.sina.com.tw/snowrober/article.php?pbgid=32787&entryid=611390

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd February 2011, 01:11 PM
The Google Translator 'translated' your first sentence to Finnish like this:

Oletko koskaan katsottu käännetty verkkosivun ja totesi lauseita mitään järkeä lainkaan, tai otti eri eaning kun käännös?

And here's how Mikachu'd literally translate that back to English:

Have you ever been looked a translated of a webpage and stated sentences any sense at all, or took another eaning (well I guess you meant meaning) than a translation?

The Finnish translator machines are amazingly advanced these days, I have noticed. It's not like Finnish would resemble English, you know?

Blademaster
23rd February 2011, 03:11 PM
ANYTHING you enter into this fucking thing. (http://www.conveythis.com/translation.php)

Seriously, I just typed in your Chinese string of chicken scratches and it spat out ""Shopping information evening / B & B Furniture haovujyazhi Car." as the translation (after the maximum 56 translations). Give it a try.

EDIT: Mikachu's Finnish crap is even better. "Long and Cooking, it is important to remove kosukitai service."

Jeff
23rd February 2011, 05:38 PM
ANYTHING you enter into this fucking thing. (http://www.conveythis.com/translation.php)

Nice.

Input: "What is this I don't even"
Output: "I do not know what"

Telume
23rd February 2011, 05:49 PM
I hate Babelfish, Google Translate does a MUCH better job but, it still has its bugs.

crown34
23rd February 2011, 08:36 PM
Apparently "You idiot" comes out to " I'm an idiot" ... what type of bull%^& mind rape is this!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd February 2011, 11:05 PM
Obviously, the sentence I got from Google Translator is bad Finnish.

Oletko koskaan
OK...

katsottu
I think this is a participle, but it's in the wrong form given the beginning of the sentence.

käännetty
Hey, where's the auxillary verb? Also, two participle in a row?

verkkosivun
In Finnish lanugage, the one who owns something comes first, not the other way around!

ja totesi lauseita
The subject changed for some odd reason.

mitään järkeä lainkaan
The negative verb 'ei' would have worked wonders.

tai otti eri
Bad inflection.

tarkoitus
Wrong case again.

kun käännös?
This one sounds more like a beginning of a new sentence, there's a difference between 'kun' and 'kuin'.

Telume
24th February 2011, 10:58 AM
Mika. did you translate your spanish using google translate?

Lady Vulpix
24th February 2011, 12:43 PM
I used Google Translate on this page (http://www.dc.uba.ar/materias/plp/cursos/2011/cuat1/Normativa), which belongs to the subject I'm teaching and is written in Spanish. Google detected it as Italian. I disabled language detection and set it to translate the page from Spanish to English.

The weirdest phrases I got were: "The deadline for the redelivery of practical work that have not been approved in the first instance is the date that is taken up second part." and " Who for some reason need particular note its partial or practical work before the return date must inform the teachers at the time of delivery".

What those phrases were supposed to mean was: "The deadline for re-submission of projects which have failed in the first instance is the date of the second make-up exam." and "Those who, for some particular reason, need their exam or project graded before the established date, must inform the teachers at the time of submission".

Blademaster
24th February 2011, 05:06 PM
Apparently "You idiot" comes out to " I'm an idiot" ... what type of bull%^& mind rape is this!

Let's ask it!

"Mind rape"

...56 translations later we get:

"Heart attack"

Magmar
24th February 2011, 11:05 PM
Clicked stumble and this is the first thing I got:

Of course, there are many other nutritious foods other than those that we have included on our list that we feel are wonderful, health-promoting foods.

40 translations later:

"A long list of health and nutrition, not many people."

Jeff
24th February 2011, 11:13 PM
Some Pokemon quotes:
"I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear."

...20 translations later we get:

"I am very short, they feel more comfortable, easy to do." (for the record, I ran the same one through 50 translations and got: "They are fast and efficient.")

"You're ten-thousand light-years from facing Brock!"

"It is a million light years away, because the river?"

"Cosmic energy for the win!"

"The cosmic energy is finished!"

...and so is this post.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
25th February 2011, 08:44 AM
Mika. did you translate your spanish using google translate?

Never. That would've been odd given the meaning of the sentence 'I like to study languages' although my accidential incorrect word choice made it sound silly as well. I always want to make it of my own when I translate something, otherwise I'd translate the whole TPM into Finnish via Google translator.

TPM in Finnish (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16985)

And I did this without translation services as well. Unless you count plain Interent dictionaries.

Dark-San
17th March 2011, 09:33 AM
This is one I've found today.

Original phrase: "在台東都蘭有民宿業者發揮巧思,化腐朽為神奇將常人眼中不值錢的漂流木變成獨樹一格的傢俱" (in traditional Chinese).

Google translation: "There are blue in Taitung play ingenuity B & B industry, the impossible will be worthless in the eyes of ordinary people into a unique form of driftwood furniture"

Babelfish translation: "Has the people karma display ingenious conception in the Taitung Dulan, melts to not the valuable drift wood turn mysteriously decayed the average man eye in an alone tree standard the furniture"

Source: http://blog.sina.com.tw/snowrober/article.php?pbgid=32787&entryid=611390

Whoa, you open up a thread just for this translation? Gabi, wouldn't it be better if you just private message me and ask me to translate this phrase? Of course, never trust google or babelfish translation. They are never right. Ah right, back on the topic...

The above phrase just tells you that some guy that run a hostel from the northern strip of Taiwan at the Dulan county thought of a different (or creative) way to convert useless drifting pieces of wood into artistic furniture.

Well this is kind of level is easy cake for me. The most difficult that I have run into as a scanlator, are phrases that mixes untranslated Japanese Kanji with Chinese sentences. Without prior knowledge of basic Japanese, I probably misinterepted the entire paragraph. And yes official Chinese translated mangas do have those mistakes.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th March 2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry Dark-San, but I believe Lady Vulpix didn't make this topic to get the proper translation, just for some fun. Cool bonus though. And she studies Chinese herself. Correct?

By the way, I finally found the Youtube video for the piece of music I wanted you, Dark-San, to translate into hanzi (Chinese characters) years ago.

QNPWAS5Or74

Here (http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/spriggan/jingling.htm) are the pinyin lyrics for more help! Though you don't need them...;)

Thanks in advance.

Lady Vulpix
17th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Mikachu's right, I posted this thread to share the fun of those and other ridiculous translations we've come across. I wasn't asking for a proper translation, but thanks anyway. I had been able to get the gist of it, but not every word. I do study Mandarin Chinese, but I don't know all those characters yet. Someday... In any case, I agree with you in that automatic translators can't be trusted. That's why I posted this thread in the first place, to poke fun at them.

So why don't we get back on topic and post more weird translations?

Blademaster
17th March 2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah. Fucking backseat Moderators.

Also, more nonsense from the shitty translator, starting with us!

1. Blademaster + 56 translations = "Great."
2. Lady Vulpix + 56 translations = "Dream Girl."
3. Mikachu Yukitatsu + 56 translations = "Mikatshu iukitatsu."
4. Telume + 56 translations = "Home."
5. Jeff + 56 translations = "Jeff."
6. Magmar + 56 translations = "Gel."

As you can see, the odd-numbered translations are pretty much accurate, whereas the even-numbered ones are nonsensical and incorrect.

I hereby deduce that the Bad Translator is correct roughly 50% of the time. :science:

Telume
17th March 2011, 07:03 PM
Except that translator is intentionally bad. >_>

Your name with Google translate: espadamaestro.

(I took it and put it together after translating seperately)

Of course this is using the english word order and it's horribly wrong but yeah. :D

Translated it's probably Maestro de Espada or something to that effect.

Lady Vulpix
17th March 2011, 07:15 PM
I'd say "maestro de la espada" or, more literally, "maestro del filo".

Google Translate auto detect for Telume: French to Spanish translator: Telum.

From an e-mail I received: "¡¡¡Acabo de recordar que tenemos que arreglar para ver cuando ir al restaurante griego!!!"

Google Spanish to English: "I just remembered that we have to arrange to see when going to the Greek restaurant!"

The funny thing is that, if you remove the opening exclamation marks, it changes "to arrange" into "arranged". @_@

Another e-mail, which uses abbreviations: "Gabriela por favor traeme una nota dirigida al director del depto diciendo que pedís licencia en tu cargo de ay1 simple a partir de tu designación como JTP".

Google translation: "Gabriela please bring me a note to the director of the dept saying that you ask your licensed by simple ay1 from your appointment as JTP".

Telume
17th March 2011, 09:10 PM
Gabi, my name doesn't translate. It's not from any particular language. It's completely made up >_>

Unless you just wanted to see what you'd get in French, in which case: YOU MISSED THE E :(

Lady Vulpix
18th March 2011, 08:59 AM
I didn't miss the E. I wrote Telume into the translator and it detected it as French and translated it into Telum.

Blademaster
18th March 2011, 02:17 PM
I like my theory better.

Lady Vulpix
6th April 2011, 08:54 AM
Another one, from Spanish to English, on Google Translate.

"No tengo que rendirte cuentas."=>"No I have to give you an account."

On Babelfish: "No tengo que rendirte cuentas."=>"I do not have rendirte accounts."

The real translation would be more along the lines of "I don't have to account for my actions to you".

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th April 2011, 11:48 AM
"I just got mad idea. What if I would inject between Pokemastersiin messages so that I would write them first to the Finnish language myself, eg in Notepad? Then I would copy the entire trash Google Translator, give it to my text translated from Finnish into English and then postaisin results in here? Hardly allow me to write this bad English ...

Pystynhän better!"

If you wonder what that thing was...

Sain juuri hullun idean. Entä jos pistäisin välillä Pokemastersiin viestejä niin, että kirjoittaisin niitä ensin suomen kielellä itsekseni esim. Muistiolla? Sitten kopioisin koko roskan Google Translatoriin, antaisin sen kääntää tekstini suomesta englantiin ja sitten postaisin tuloksen sellaisenaan tänne? Tuskin antaisitte minun kirjoittaa näin huonoa englantia...

Pystynhän parempaan!

I just got a crazy idea. What if I sometimes put messages to Pokemasters by writing them first in Finnish, with e.g. Notepad? Then I'd copy the whole crap into Google Translator, letting it to translate my text from Finnish to English and then post the result as it is here? I hardly believe you'd allow me to write English this bad...

I can do better, you see!

Blademaster
6th April 2011, 01:45 PM
"No tengo que rendirte cuentas."=>"No I have to give you an account."

Go go Gadget Bad Translator!

"No tengo que rendirte cuentas."

...56 translations later we get:

"Complex products and services to start."

Lady Vulpix
29th May 2011, 03:12 PM
Funny: Google translates "Powered by Google" to Spanish as "Desarrollado por Google", which means "Developed by Google". Intelectual theft, anyone?

Lady Vulpix
21st November 2011, 01:09 PM
OK, sorry for the double post, but no one's posted here in months and I believe this translation takes the cake. This is a photo I took in my hotel room in Shanghai.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/11/19/09fac2bb-0b62-467d-b328-7591918a8758.jpg

Also available on FaliBlog (http://cheezburger.com/View/5457038080).

kurai
21st November 2011, 01:28 PM
so products here have their branding and information printed in both english and french

there is a bottled milk product called "MILK 2 GO"

in french they call it "LAIT'S GO"

a masterpiece

Uraziel
23rd November 2011, 02:14 PM
Do I have to explain what happened when I once google-translated a 'press digest'? :D
(Drücken Sie Verdauen, for those who happen to understand German.)

Lady Vulpix
23rd November 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand German, but I think I can imagine how you could mistranstlate that.

Now, I used Google to translate the words from an old Chinese poem I heard during my trip: "桂林山水甲天下". It actually means "Guilin's landscape is first in the world". Now, I could easily see it translated as "Laurel forest mountain water first class under the sky" which would be a more literal, word-by-word translation. And it wouldn't be too far off. Not compared to what I actually got when I entered that phrase on Google Translate.

What I got was... "Semiotic".

So... how did Google come up with that translation?

Lady Vulpix
9th February 2012, 09:53 AM
I'm posting this one because it was really funny. I found it on a computer Q&A web page.

Original phrase: 我的电脑用着用着就突然黑屏了
Approximate manual translation: While using my computer, I suddenly got a blank screen
Google translation: Why does my computer with the use of speed becomes Mana