PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me it's true?!

AKA Pokemon Fan
27th April 2003, 02:50 PM
Click on this (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1542925&cat=50713&type=2&dept=4096&path=0%3A4096%3A41938%3A50705%3A50713) link. You'll see that the Pokemon movies ar elisted as being in Widescreen formats!

One of my main complaints against the dubs has always been that they released the movies with the sides of the screen all cut off in Letterbox format. Is it true that these really are in the original screen format they were intended for?

*Hopes and prays but crosses fingers*

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
28th April 2003, 02:52 AM
Pokémon movie questions belong in the Anime forum. *moves*

Light_Togetic
28th April 2003, 10:16 AM
It looks like that's what it says to me! It says it's widescreen... so it must be widescreen, I guess. Hmmm... seeing this makes me wished I hadn't bought the first two movies on DVD already...

AKA Pokemon Fan
28th April 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Light_Togetic
It looks like that's what it says to me! It has the widescreen 5:1 ratio... so it must be widescreen. Hmmm... seeing this makes me wished I hadn't bought the first two movies on DVD already...
I have the first three on VHS, so at least I won't have to buy the more expensive DVDs all over again (except 4ever if they ever release it as Widescreen). Now I just have to get the money together and spread the word about this set.

And here I was thinking I'd never see the the movies whole ever again after they leave the theatres... of course I wonder how many fans will be willing to buy again for the Widescreen...:confused:

Hanada Tattsu
28th April 2003, 04:31 PM
That's cool, I always hated the letterbox thingies.

I have all five movies on VHS, except I have Movie 4 on DVD as well. I wouldn't want to buy the DVD's again just for that change, but it is cool how future buyers can buy them on widescreen.

Entropy
28th April 2003, 05:32 PM
Argh! I recently bought the second movie on DVD a few weeks ago and this comes up. So frustrating. Of course, it would have been smart of KidsWB! to have done this when the DVD'S were first released...but that's just me.

Hanada Tattsu
28th April 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
Argh! I recently bought the second movie on DVD a few weeks ago and this comes up. So frustrating. Of course, it would have been smart of KidsWB! to have done this when the DVD'S were first released...but that's just me.

I agree, they would really have gotten a lot more people buying the DVD's because of the widescreen format.

I've heard complaints about the DVD's solely because about the letterbox full screen fiasco.

Blue Hiker
29th April 2003, 05:08 AM
Looks like a mistake.

Best Buy lists the aspect ratio as 1.33:1, which is full screen.

I'm pretty sure it's just the three DVDs shrinkwrapped together, which means it's exactly the same as buying them separately (just cheaper).

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Blue Hiker
Looks like a mistake.

Best Buy lists the aspect ratio as 1.33:1, which is full screen.

I'm pretty sure it's just the three DVDs shrinkwrapped together, which means it's exactly the same as buying them separately (just cheaper).

Oh, so that means on one DVD there's three movies instead of one, and even all three of them are all full screen?

That's not good... :no:

Light_Togetic
29th April 2003, 02:17 PM
Sadly, yes it's true, I went on amazon.com to look at the set, and they were also in Fullscreen format. :( :( So they are indeed just three DVDs, wrapped together in some cheap plastic, and put at a cheaper price than buying them seperate. Oh well... I guess I'll just stick with the Japanese versions for widescreen... *sniff*

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 03:46 PM
That really sucks, they should just have an option for viewing the film in full screen or wide screen, like some selective Disney DVD's I know of.

It would really make customers happy, don't ya think?

Entropy
29th April 2003, 06:45 PM
So I got my hopes up for nothing. Damn it...

Well, I guess I'll go back to saving up money for buying Revelation Lugia. I want to hear Furura's voice! She's my favorite character. I'm sorry: that's something no poster should find out about me. :P

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 06:54 PM
So I got my hopes up for nothing. Damn it...

Well, I guess I'll go back to saving up money for buying Revelation Lugia. I want to hear Furura's voice! She's my favorite character. I'm sorry: that's something no poster should find out about me. :P

LOL, are you talking about the dub for the movie, or the original?

Cause if you're talking about the dub, Melody had the most annoying, "valley girl" voice you could ever imagine. It was so annoying. :(

Flura, on the other hand, had a real kind voice from what I remember of the Japanese version of the film.

Entropy
29th April 2003, 07:09 PM
Really? I've grown to Melody's voice because I've been watching the American dub for so many times. I just wish I knew what Furura sounded like. Geez, all I need is at least $20 bucks and Revelation Lugia is mine!

Thanks Hanada.

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 07:13 PM
Really? I've grown to Melody's voice because I've been watching the American dub for so many times. I just wish I knew what Furura sounded like. Geez, all I need is at least $20 bucks and Revelation Lugia is mine!

Thanks Hanada.

No prob, it's just that I Flura has a much more nicer voice than her dub equivalent.

Some people may like Melody's voice, it's just that I've grown to the Japanese version more than the dub.

Entropy
29th April 2003, 07:16 PM
Heh, complete contrasts. lol

I just have a hard time finding any video clips of the movie on the 'net. It's so annoying....but don't worry about me. I know the rules around here and I won't ask for any clips on here officially. I'm innocent.

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 07:45 PM
Heh, complete contrasts. lol

I just have a hard time finding any video clips of the movie on the 'net. It's so annoying....but don't worry about me. I know the rules around here and I won't ask for any clips on here officially. I'm innocent.

Good, thanks for acknowlodging (sp?) the rules. :)

A lot of places used to have it, but there are a lot of places that didn't. To my knowledge, none of those sites are currently open or running.

Entropy
29th April 2003, 07:54 PM
Ok, received. Thanks for your help. I need that movie.

AKA Pokemon Fan
29th April 2003, 10:25 PM
Guys this site and the store itself is selling them listed as Widescreen. The fact that Amazons DVDs aren't isn't proof of anything. Can someone offer any real evidence that these DVDs are not Widescreen versions?

Geodude on Bulbagarden in fact has said he's seen these for sale and they are listed as Widescreen.

Hanada Tattsu
29th April 2003, 10:32 PM
Well, if the guy who actually owns the DVD's says that they are in widescreen, that means that they are in widescreen, as he actually has the DVD's.

The guys listing stuff on Amazon may have been mistaken with the former releases of the DVD since they were in full screen letterbox format.

ILikePokemonP
30th April 2003, 01:41 AM
My Canadian Pokemon 4Ever dvd is widescreen, does this help at all?

Hanada Tattsu
30th April 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
My Canadian Pokemon 4Ever dvd is widescreen, does this help at all?

Oh, thanks. I do have a question though, is there an option to view it in letterbox format as well, or only widescreen?

Light_Togetic
30th April 2003, 09:56 AM
Hmmm, maybe one of us should try to find it in a store, and actually look at the box(es). But this is so confusing!! Why can't all internet stores list things the same?? Is it really that hard to read the specifications of a DVD? Anyway *crosses fingers that it's widescreen and that those baffoons(sp?) at Amazon are wrong* I hope it really is widescreen.

Hanada Tattsu
30th April 2003, 02:59 PM
Well, my American Pokemon4Ever DVD is only in full screen letterbox, so I don't know if the Canadian and the American DVD's are different.

Entropy
30th April 2003, 03:28 PM
Why would they be? Isn't the US and Canada in the same 'DVD Region' or not?

Hanada Tattsu
30th April 2003, 03:30 PM
Why would they be? Isn't the US and Canada in the same 'DVD Region' or not?

I don't think so, I think the USA is Region 1, and Canada is Region 2, but I may be wrong.

Someone please clear that up, thanks.

ILikePokemonP
30th April 2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu

I don't think so, I think the USA is Region 1, and Canada is Region 2, but I may be wrong.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia/dvd/graphics/dvd_region_map.jpg

Well, there doesn't seem to be any viewing options except default. Pikachu's Pikaboo is full screen though.
That is very strange that they made two versions for one region. I don't understand how these big companies think ;o

Entropy
30th April 2003, 03:45 PM

Well, I am right thanks to ILikePokemon:P's evidence. So I guess there is no difference between the Canadian and US version of Pokemon movies. They are one in the same.

AKA Pokemon Fan
7th May 2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
Well, there doesn't seem to be any viewing options except default. Pikachu's Pikaboo is full screen though.
That is very strange that they made two versions for one region. I don't understand how these big companies think ;o[/COLOR]
Where in Canada did you buy your DVD? Is there a way to buy that DVD on the Internet? i.e does that store have a website? Everywhere I've looked has Pokemon 4ever in Fullscreen.

Hanada Tattsu
7th May 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
Where in Canada did you buy your DVD? Is there a way to buy that DVD on the Internet? i.e does that store have a website? Everywhere I've looked has Pokemon 4ever in Fullscreen.

Yeah, some online places that sell the DVD are pretty notable, like Amazon (http://www.amazon.com). That's who I reccomend. But if they're in the same region, then they should be the same.

Thanks, ILP.

Nikku-San
9th May 2003, 03:44 AM
I just don't get what's so great about Widescreen. The top and bottom is all smooshed and it's like watching a rectangle inside a square, lol. And I don't really notice anything missing in my fullscreen versions.... like what COULD be missing?

Light_Togetic
9th May 2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
I just don't get what's so great about Widescreen. The top and bottom is all smooshed and it's like watching a rectangle inside a square, lol. And I don't really notice anything missing in my fullscreen versions.... like what COULD be missing?

When converting the picture from the widescreen that all movie theaters have to a square shape to fit your TV, they end up cutting the sides of the picture off. Haven't you ever noticed on the movies that people on the sides of the screen will say something, but all you can see of them when they're talking is a bit of hair, or a foot or arm? Like for example, in Pokemon 2000, Jessie tells James to bring out Wheezing in Lawrence's airship, but all you can see of her as she's talking is her leg... It gets kinda annoying if it's your favorite character that gets squashed out of the screen!

However, I can see where you're coming from, because I didn't really like Widescreen until I got used to it. I used to find the extra blackness on the top and bottom distracting and annoying. But then I found the lack of the sides of the picture more annoying.;)

Entropy
9th May 2003, 10:54 AM
Togetic pretty much covered it, but it's also the fact that it seems you are missing something out as well. If anything, the cropping is done poorly and considering what you are paying for it, you are being had.

Hanada Tattsu
9th May 2003, 07:10 PM
Togetic pretty much covered it, but it's also the fact that it seems you are missing something out as well. If anything, the cropping is done poorly and considering what you are paying for it, you are being had.

I personally prefer Full Screen to non-anime movies, more like television shows. That's just me. I prefer Widescreen to animated movies, like Pokemon.

Pokemon Neo
12th May 2003, 02:56 AM
lol I'm actually getting the Pokemon Collection in a few days.I didn't have any of the movies(dub) so I figured I might as well buy all 3 at the same time.As for the widescreen issue,I called up columbia house to ask in what format the 3 movies were in and they told me fullscreen.So,it looks like there are still no widescreen versions of Pokemon 1-3.

But don't give up hope yet.Two words:"Collector's Edition".The way I see it,Warner Bros. could make some quick cash by releasing special edition DVD's of all 3 movies that would include a widescreen format and(if were lucky enough) the original japanese track with english subtitles.Although,that may be asking for too much.At this point,I'd just be happy if they release widescreen formats.I don't even think they would have to make that much prints.Maybe something like 20,000-50,000 prints would be enough.These types of DVD's will pretty much be for the hardcore fans of the series.

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th May 2003, 12:17 PM
I've ordered the collection from Walmart as well so we'll soon find out if they are really Widescreen. *Crosses fingers*

Hanada Tattsu
12th May 2003, 05:45 PM
Well, if Columbia House said they're full screen, I think it's definately gonna be full screen.

As for a "Collector's Edition" DVD, I guess it is a good idea.

AKA Pokemon Fan
14th May 2003, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry to say this but I recieved the DVDs today and they are standard fullscreen...:(

So I wrote an email to them about false advertising.:mad:

Hanada Tattsu
15th May 2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
I'm sorry to say this but I recieved the DVDs today and they are standard fullscreen...:(

So I wrote an email to them about false advertising.:mad:

That sucks. :(

Who are you writing the letters too, Walmart or Amazon? Amazon takes this stuff very seriously, they have good customer service, but that doesn't make up for false advertising.

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th May 2003, 09:42 AM
That sucks. :(

Who are you writing the letters too, Walmart or Amazon? Amazon takes this stuff very seriously, they have good customer service, but that doesn't make up for false advertising.
It was the walmart.com help service, amazon didn't have anything to do with site. Walmart in turn sent a generic apology email that looks like it was written by a computer program... I love walmart in general but this is a serious score against them.

Hanada Tattsu
15th May 2003, 04:47 PM
Walmart has bad customer service, and it appears that this generic apology letter doesn't help.

Entropy
15th May 2003, 04:56 PM
They are the biggest major store in the globe today...so it's not a surprise to me. Hmm, the bigger a company/corporation becomes, the more discontented we become with them....

Examples include:

Viacom
News Corp.
Microsoft
AOL/Time Warner
Sony

it goes on...

Hanada Tattsu
16th May 2003, 08:48 AM
I was watching a widescreen film yesterday, and I too noticed that I don't like the screen chopped off. I don't like it that much either, I'll prefer Fullscreen too.