PDA

View Full Version : Job interview!

Asilynne
8th March 2011, 11:57 AM
I just got a job interview today for a vet tech position in a veterinary hospital. I'm so nervous, this has been what I've wanted for quite awhile, and I don't want to screw it up. Anyone got any tips on how to totally nail an interview? I've been at my current job for almost 2 years and that interview wasn't exactly super professional, so it's been quite a while since I've had an interview in a professional setting.
Any advice on clothes, tips on what to say or what to do are most welcome!

Telume
8th March 2011, 11:58 AM
Congratulations! I know how nervous you can be, when I was first hired at my job, I did NOT sleep the first night. So I went into work and crashed so hard the night after. LOL >_<

You'll be fine though, once you get past the interview, just show a little confidence and you'll NAIL it. :)

Blademaster
8th March 2011, 12:04 PM
You're too damn nice, Asi. Keep that in mind, dress professionally, and be serious yet polite. None of that emote or lol bullshit in the interview. Professionalism, courtesy, dedica-...

Wait I've barely ever even had *a* job, let alone one of any magnitude like this. Why are you listening to me? Don't listen to me. Don't even listen to me about not listening to me.

Asilynne
8th March 2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you guys! I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep the night before but fortunately the interview is at 12pm and not super early. I'll try not to say 'lol' during the interview but it will be hard XD jk

Mikachu Yukitatsu
8th March 2011, 12:41 PM
Good luck! I don't know too much about this since I didn't get my last job through an interview. Hope you get the job, and even if you don't, remember you'll have more time for TPM then.

As for myself, I doubt I know how to spell 'lol' properly.

The_Missing_Link
8th March 2011, 12:58 PM
- Maintain eye contact. Personally, it's tough for me to look strangers in the eye but it has to be done

- Practice your interview the night before. Have someone ask questions you think they're going to ask you (what are your strengths/weaknesses, why you want to work here, etc.). Do not give a short answer. When you practice and your answer is only a few words, try to stretch it out and make it more full

- Sound confident. Try to refrain from using "umm" or "like" too much

- A nice blouse and good pair of pants will probably suffice

- Get a good night's sleep and have breakfast in the morning

Asilynne
8th March 2011, 02:03 PM
Thank you!! Saying like might be hard unfortunately but I've been wanting to get out of that habit anyway XD I'll get Ben and Sarah to bombard me with questions, this is good advice <3

DarkestLight
8th March 2011, 02:10 PM
Make sure that if you had any lies on your resume, that you clear that up immediatly. One time I forgot I put down I spoke fluent 1337 sp33k, and they were like \/\/3|| Wtf IZ |)33Z?

And I was shit outta luck :(. Moral of the story: Make sure you know what you put on your resume and be ready to clarify anything that might seem questionable.

Dark-San
8th March 2011, 09:00 PM
Why nobody asked me? I have attend like thirty odd interviews over the past two months now. There are at least three things you will need to look out for when you are preparing for one.

Firstly, it all starts out with your resume. It has to be only One page. Yes, you hear me right... only one page. With a resume more than one page, it will be regarded as a failure. No offense but I have around eight variations of resumes. The only successful ones are those with one page resume submitted and the hit rates for those lengthy resumes are only like one in four chances.

The format of the resume should be as followed,

Basic Information

1) Title - I called mine 'Curriculum Vitae of XXX'
2) Photograph - Get a professional one taken. Preferably one with a upper formal wear.
3) Name (Alias)
4) Contact numbers - Do not include your home number. Just your mobile number will do.
5) Email
6) Age - No need for your date of birth. Employers definitely do not have an interest in it.
7) Marital Status
8) Nationality
9) Objective - What is your objective? What is your long term goal? What do you see yourself as in five years time? Customize this section to suit the job that you are doing. Interviewers will be on the look out for this part.
10) Academics and Working Experiences - Lumped them together. Do not bother to separate the two sections. And remember to address all time gaps if any.
11) Skills - What skills does you have? Better if you have certificates to prove them. For me, I differentiate my skills into hard skills, soft skills and computer skills. And how these skills can be transferable to the next job.
12) Date of availability - One month notice? One week notice? Immediate?
13) Expected salary - Do not be a cheapskate and just give an amount. Give a range, the employers will be glad that they have a range to work on. Also do not put in any unreasonable amount. A hike of around fifteen to twenty percent is reasonable. More than that, it will turn the prospective employers off or even if they are interested, you will find it difficult to explain.
14) References - Put in at least two names. Better if they are your ex-colleagues or your former boss. Inform them in advance that you are putting in their names so they can prepare themselves.

With the resume settled, let us proceed on the types of typical questions that they will ask in an interview.

1) Tell me about yourself - Do talk about yourself in a natural manner. Be cool and calm. Better still chat about your interests relating to the job applied. Say if you are applying for the position for a vet. Only talk about your love for animals.
2) What do you know about us? - Chat about the company's history, their vision and their objectives. Talk about how you see yourself align to those.
3) Why do you want to work for us? - Talk about your previous experiences and how those skills that you have acquired in them can be (skills) transferable into the present job that you are applying for.
4) Why did you leave your last job? - Do not talk anything negative about your previous employer. Even if your last boss is a suck-cock stink ass or even if your colleague sexually harassed you all the time. Instead of praising them, you can talk about seeking new challenges ahead or you want a job that has something to do with your academics. At least for me, the latter reason will be better.
5) What are your salary expectations? - Here is the tricky part. If this question was asked in the first interview, throw it back to the employers. Do not answer the question by any means. Instead insist on looking at the entire package before you can put a figure to it. If this is ask during the second interview, just gave the same range as the one you have put in your resume.
6) If we were to ask your good friend about your strength or weaknesses, what will you think they will say? - Concentrate on the positives. Give real life examples when necessary. It is more appropriate that way. As for the negative, just give one that is totally unrelated to the job.
References from Singapore e2i. Copyright to Seow Bee LEng, Continuum Learning

Thirdly after you are done with your questions, remember to take note of your body language.

1) Remember to greet.
2) Wait until you are offered a chair.
3) Make good eye contact.
4) No lip pouting.
5) No lip compression.
6) Absolutely do not cross your arm.
7) Give a firm handshake.

After you are done with the interview, remember to send in a thank you email to the HR personnel in charge of contacting. And also call back four or five days later to ask about the selection process.

Lastly good luck for your interview and also remember that interviews is always about the 'art of selling by telling'.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
9th March 2011, 02:24 AM
Thanks Dark San, I can use this stuff:D

Blademaster
9th March 2011, 05:56 AM
Same here.

DarkestLight
9th March 2011, 06:20 AM
o.O I do find that to be incredibly helpful, except the picture part. At least for the US, we don't require a picture to be sent in with resumes since most are done online and most employers find it a pain to sift through attachments they didn't ask for.

(Also depends on the job, if it was modeling or something, then yes photo/headshot needed)

Make paper copies when you are called in so they can have one if they don't have yours printed out already. Always good to be prepared.

But yes, its a astounding bit of helpfulness there Dark

Mikachu Yukitatsu
9th March 2011, 08:41 AM
A funny coincidence, my former roommate had a job interview, too, today, just 3 hours ago. He was succesful and is going to start in wood industry next month.

RedStarWarrior
9th March 2011, 04:50 PM
I demand an update on the interview!

Dark-San
9th March 2011, 06:08 PM
Let me know what else do you want to know for the interview questions. You will be surprise that HR will spout even the most unexpected and nonsensical questions just to catch you off guard.

CuteLassJigglypuff
9th March 2011, 07:13 PM
Congrats!

Show up early for the interview. Also, turn your cellphone off.

Good luck.

Dark-San
9th March 2011, 07:56 PM
I demand an update on the interview!

Like?

Asilynne
9th March 2011, 09:45 PM
I agree a big thank you to Dark San thats a lot of really good info! I'm feeling pretty good about it but I'm still kinda nervous since its tomorrow >.< I'll have some time in the morning to get ready and eat breakfast without having to get up too early, and I will leave an hour early to make sure I get there on time even if I get lost. I'm bringing a paper copy of the resume even though I had already emailed it to them just to make sure, and I will turn my cell phone off ;D

So yes I will give an update after the interview!!

Dark-San
9th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Good luck, sister...

Blademaster
10th March 2011, 08:02 AM
So, who wants to take bets on whether she got the job or not?

Dark-San
10th March 2011, 08:07 AM
You won't know until two weeks later. Usually if you are shortlisted, you will need to attend a second and probably third interview. For my worst case, I had went for three interviews and that includes a personality test. Only to realize that they had already employed someone else two weeks later when I called.

But for Asi, I will vote a yes. =3

RedStarWarrior
11th March 2011, 10:02 PM
You won't know until two weeks later. Usually if you are shortlisted, you will need to attend a second and probably third interview. For my worst case, I had went for three interviews and that includes a personality test. Only to realize that they had already employed someone else two weeks later when I called.

But for Asi, I will vote a yes. =3
My previous experience involved one interview and then a call two days later saying I got the job. Heh...they even canceled the rest of the interviews for the position. ;)

Blademaster
12th March 2011, 07:34 AM
You didn't threaten anybody, did you?

Asilynne
13th March 2011, 06:58 PM
Ok, it went pretty well I think, she asked me a few questions and went over what the duties were, let me ask some questions too. At the end she said she'd let me know sometime this coming week.
Regardless, I've got another interview for a different vet clinic tomorrow, and this one I'm a little less nervous about since I've already been through one :)

Drusilla
13th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Well, for my (late) two cents worth... Here's a tip that I have used when *conducting* interviews. (Bwahahaha, management experience ftw!) Ask a question. Let the candidate answer. Then let that God-awful silence hang. Human instinct is to fill in that silence, so the candidate will 95% of the time proceed to elaborate... and you'd be surprised at the kind of stuff you learn when you let them babble.

So.... if they do that to you, be careful where you let the conversation go. *That* will be the sort of thing that they will really make note of. Not only what you say, but how you say it, what you emphasize, ect. Just a heads up.

That being said, good luck!

Dark-San
14th March 2011, 06:08 AM
You didn't threaten anybody, did you?

Quoted for truth.

The job that I just recently started on, took me two interviews to clear. >.<;

Bear
14th March 2011, 10:39 AM
Brandy you should have called me - I interview people for a living!

Anyway the biggest thing I can say for ANYONE is this - SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU SPEAK. Go out of your way to make what you say clear and deliberate. Even if you aren't confident, fake it. Remember, you already know the stuff they're asking of you.

Link
14th March 2011, 10:47 AM
What Bear said, plus, show no fear to the person giving you the interview. If someone thinks you're scared to be on the interview, I think that decreases your chances of getting the job. Just be laid back and always show signs of interest in the person that is giving the interview in a strictly professional way.

Blademaster
14th March 2011, 02:28 PM
This is all valuable information...

Asilynne
15th March 2011, 11:20 AM
Dammit James!! I forgot lol Well I can still call you in case I get another one. This last one went even better than the first, and I like the place a lot more than the first too, its a smaller hospital and the people are great. It went awesomely! Now I have to wait for the vet to decide, and call me back for a second interview, I really hope I get that one. These tips helped!

Telume
15th March 2011, 03:14 PM
Great to hear, hoping you have the best of luck, hope you get the job!

Blademaster
15th March 2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, good luck!

Still taking bets, folks.

Asilynne
21st March 2011, 12:56 PM
Well I had an interview today for a grooming place and got called back just now offering me the job, so of course I took it :) But now I got another call from a vet clinic giving me an interview on Wed. The grooming place seems like it has really nice people and decent pay, but a vet clinic is what Ive wanted, so now I'm confused o.o Where was that call last week?!