PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some new anime...

Shadow Trainer Ash
27th April 2003, 05:42 PM
Well, I've been looking at the many fansubs I have a choice of downloading, but I can't decide which to try. >_o Basically I'm looking for popular anime, although having a side of fantasy or futuristic kind of plot would be really convinient. So any suggestions?

Red Angel
27th April 2003, 06:02 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion or Vandread for futuristic, or The Slayers for fantasy comedy... can't help you with the fansubs, though... sorry.

By the way, it MAY be helpfull to mention what you've watched so nobody suggests anything redundant...

KaptainSarcasm
27th April 2003, 06:25 PM
A copy of Magic Knight Rayearth has just come into my hands by the chance of some passing wind. Usually, when I get fansubs off of E-Bay, they suck. But I just got this 8-disk set of MKR off of it, and the subtitling is pretty darn good, not to mention it has the English version, anyway, but the voices suck.

MKR is worth the purchase/download, I guess. I mean, it's very long, so it would take a while, but it would be cool if you got it and then watched it, because then the two of us could discuss it. I'm having a difficult time deciding if I like it, so a second oppinion would do me well. And you, I should suspect.

Okay, all done. ^^

Shadow Trainer Ash
27th April 2003, 07:14 PM
Umm... ^^; *feels stupid* Maybe I should've done what Red Angel said, because I've already seen all those anime... Thanks very much for trying to help, though. ^_^ I'll post up what I've seen:

Wolf's Rain
Ninja Cadets!
Real Bout Highschool
Magic Knight Rayearth
Chobits
RahXephon
Chance Pop Session
Silent Mobius
Ragnarok EX
Get Backers
RAVE
Record of Lodoss Wars
Naruto
Kiddy Grade
Gensoumaden Saiyuki
Hikaru no Go
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto
I'll/CKBC
Dear Boys
Spiral
Scrapped Princess
D.N. Angel
Matantei Loki Ragnarok
Narue no Sekai
Slayers
Ranma 1/2
Vandread
Di Gi Charat
Ah! Megami-sama
Vision of Escaflowne
Senkaiden Houshin Engi
Shinseiki Evangelion
The Soultaker
Pita-ten
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Star Ocean EX
Fruits Basket
.hack//SIGN
.hack//DUSK
.hack//LIMITALITY
Shaman King

And I think that's it...

FerioFlareon
27th April 2003, 07:44 PM
::looks over list:: What!? No Utena!? Revolutionary Girl Utena! GO! Heh ^^; Just a suggestion... it's kinda fantasy/highly symbolic/metaphorical for a lotta stuff.. it's got some yuri/yaoi which personally annoys me, but it's not enough to degrade from the series, imo.

And... Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a very good anime movie ("about vampires?" ".....yeah"). ...

KaptainSarcasm
27th April 2003, 08:06 PM
Why does yuri/yaoi annoy you? :confused:

Anyway, no Cardcaptor Sakura, either? Gasp! You should see that! Megumi Ogata's in that one, she does the voice of Shinji from Evangelion. She's Yukito Tsukishiro/Yue. She's so goddam GOOD in that series, too. Definently worth seeing if you're into the voice acting scene.

Shadow Trainer Ash
27th April 2003, 08:35 PM
Well, I've read the manga of Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura (I've read a lot more manga than I've seen anime)... but nope, haven't seen the anime yet. ^^; Me ish very broke... (not much a 14 year old can buy without a job) saving up for A-kon this summer.
And I didn't put Cowboy Bebop or Trigun down because they're on television and I thought it'd be kinda evident that I've seen them... so... yeah. ^^;;

I heard Vampire Hunter D was good, but I'm not sure if my parents will let me watch it. x__X; They're very very strict when it comes to anime, and usually I can only get away with it by downloading fansubs. (Yes, I'm one of those poor patheitc souls who hasn't even seen Akira yet because her parents think she's too young to see a R-rated movie -___-; )

But personally I like yaoi/yuri ^^; Not much of yuri, but I'm a pretty big fan of yaoi when it comes to certain series or video games.

FerioFlareon
27th April 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by KaptainSarcasm
Why does yuri/yaoi annoy you? :confused:

Because of my own personal beliefs [which is why I said it "personally annoys me" and not "it's wrong" or something like that]. But if ya like it, yeah, that'd probably make Utena all the better ^^;

I haven't seen Akira yet either XD It strikes me from appearence as one of those having an undeserved grandiose cult following [like Evangelion- I've seen it, it's great, but it's not THAT great]. But yeah... can't judge till I've seen it ^^;

Mewtwo-D2
27th April 2003, 11:08 PM
Well, here's my personal reccomendation list based on what you've seen ^_^

Series:
Arc the Lad- sci-fi, fantasy, action
El Hazard- sci-fi, fantasy, comedy
Dragon Half- fantasy, comedy
Here is Greenwood- comedy
Rayearth OAV- sci-fi, fantasy, action
Tales of Eternia- fantasy, comedy, action
Tsukaikage Ran- historical comedy, action
Socerous Stabber Orphen- fantasy, action, drama
Maison Ikkoku- drama, comedy, slice-of-life
Magical Project S- Magical Girl, comedy, parody
Sakura Wars 2- action, historical sci-fi, comedy
Rurouni Kenshin, OAV- historical drama
Rurouni Kenshin, series- historical comedy/drama
Shinesman- action, comedy, parody
Macross Plus- sci-fi, action, drama

Movies:
Princess Mononoke- fantasy, action
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind- sci-fi, action
Grave of the Fireflies- historical tragedy
Ghost in the Shell- sci-fi, action
Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia- sci-fi, action, fantasy
Rumic World: The Laughing Target- sci-fi, horror
Otaku no Video- psuedo-documentary, comedy
Vampire Hunter D- drama, action, fantasy, sci-fi (It's an excellent series, and nothing too questionable)

Manga:
Dragon Knights- fantasy, comedy, drama
Urusei Yatsura- comedy, sci-fi
Cowboy Bebop- sci-fi, comedy, action, drama
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne- Magical Girl, fantasy, action, drama
El Hazard- sci-fi, comedy, fantasy
Violinst of Hameln- comedy, fantasy, drama, action
Time Stranger Kyoko- fantasy, comedy

For consideration:
Hellsing- action, drama, horror
Akira- action, sci-fi, drama (very confusing, but worth seeing at least once)
Bastard!!- action, sci-fi, comedy
Wrath of the Ninja- historical action, drama (bloody, but still pretty fun)
Adventures of a Mini-Goddess- comedy, SD (Adorable, though without too much substance)
Kodoma no Omocha- comedy on crack
Excel Saga- comedy on crack, parody
serial experiments lain- sci-fi, horror, drama

Hope that was helpful at all ^^; If you want more info, I'll post it later

Darkmaster Kagemusha
28th April 2003, 07:30 PM
SILENT MOBIUS!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!. It's by far the best Animé (IMO) that is on the planet. Here's a website if you wanna check it out: Attacked Mystification Police Department Archives Home (http://www.anime.com.au/vtong/silent1.html).

UmbreonCurse
29th April 2003, 07:43 AM
Well......just abiout everyone mention the anime that I was going to mention..the only ones I have to add are:

One Piece
Fist of the North Star
X/1999
Fughi Yugi
Queen Esmeraldas
Tokyo Babylon
Darkside Blues

kalad1
29th April 2003, 04:13 PM
well, if you don't mind fansubs, there are two series I'd suggest.

Kiddy Grade(don't let the title decieve you)
Final Fantasy Unlimited

Ash Ketchum aka Satoshi
30th April 2003, 02:48 PM
you can't go wrong with Overman King Gainer, champ... crisp animation, futuristic, just finished airing in Japan, great story, and popular. :D

Shadow Trainer Ash
1st May 2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone. ^_^ (Although a few of you still put down anime that was on my list ^^;;; )

I'll go try some of these out.

SingingJigglypuff
2nd May 2003, 01:51 AM
Well, I've read the manga of Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura (I've read a lot more manga than I've seen anime)... but nope, haven't seen the anime yet.

The Utena anime and the Utena manga are actually quite different (and the movie is VERY far removed from both of them). In fact, that's one of the reasons I bothered to to see the show and read the manga, since usually I only do one or the other.

I don't have too much to add (and I don't think you really need anything else on your list with all those options), but here is my two cents:

I know someone already mentioned Shinesman, but I want to second that heavily and also advise that watching the dub is actually more amusing than watching the sub for once. ;)

A few more you may possibly be interested in that weren't mentioned:

Star Ocean EX - fantasy, comedy
Saber Marionette J - not quite sure how to classify this one, probably sci-fi/fantasy, comedy
Berserk - drama, action
Inuyasha (it wasn't on your list, but for all I know you might have seen this one) - fantasy, comedy, action
Angelic Layer - It's CLAMP; classify it as you will.
Flame of Recca - I've only seen the anime, but I hear the manga is better. The anime has some decent combats, but some of the characterization is nothing to write home about. Based on opinions of those that have seen both, the consensus is that the manga is better than the anime. (genre: mostly action)

Last Exile
2nd May 2003, 02:08 AM
Try Card Captor Sakura for something light-hearted and Evangelion for something full-on and apocalyptic. Gundam and Slayers are also good futuristic ones. Maybe Akira if you want to go back where it all began. ;)

Shadow Trainer Ash
2nd May 2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by SingingJigglypuff

Flame of Recca - I've only seen the anime, but I hear the manga is better. The anime has some decent combats, but some of the characterization is nothing to write home about. Based on opinions of those that have seen both, the consensus is that the manga is better than the anime. (genre: mostly action)

I remember watching Flame of Recca a great deal ago... it was my first fansub I think when I was around twelve. I don't remember it much anymore though, so I guess I should try downloading them again and then try locating the manga at A-kon. :)

Chibi_Sugar
15th May 2003, 06:47 PM
Full Moon wo Sagashi te, Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar, or Kare Kano. 3 of my favorites, more to the shoujo side. Full Moon is about a 12 year old girl who wants to be a singer, but only has a year to live, Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar is about a little girl who finds a little fairy, and Kare Kano I haven't seen enough of ><

Shadow Trainer Ash
15th May 2003, 07:21 PM
I like Full Moon. ^_^ I've read the manga, but haven't seen the anime yet... same with Kare Kano. Sugar looks a bit too... XD; I dunno. Cutesy for me, if you know what I mean. ^^; Broccoli's works are known to be a bit ... uh, I dunno XD Eccentric?

SmoothCriminal
17th May 2003, 06:55 PM
Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 =D