PDA

View Full Version : RPG Courthouse

ChobiChibi
15th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Right. So I'm sick of all the pointless bickering that's currently going on in my MSN window right now.

I want real ideas. If you want something done, tell us about it. How are you going to go about doing it? What do you want help with?

This is all about constructive criticism, guys. Please aim to give a positive for every negative thing you may say.

This is also where you can ask for our Modly Stamp of Approval (MSA) for something that you may think needs it. Whether it be a new style of RPG, a tourny, a contest, whatever. We will discuss it here and give you feedback here. When it's ready, we'll give you that pretty stamp.

ANY bickering, bitchiness, unfriendliness, digs at each other, snide comments etc. and I will delete posts. Simple as. We are sharing here. Constructive sharing.

*deep breath* Alright. Here are the old council rooms. (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20556) Feel free to bring up anything from there, but only if you truly want to discuss it, not for shiggles. I'm locking and unstickying it for reference.

So... Play nice :3

Asilynne
24th June 2011, 04:04 PM
I like the penny for our thoughts idea ;D

Also, to stay more on subject I guess, bringing up the mentoring thing, now that TPM is seeing more people coming in, we can mentor the ones interested in rpg. I suggest people can sign up for it and be assigned a newbie, kinda like Big Brothers/Big Sisters or something, only we're helping them get the hang of and enjoy RPG rather than staying out of drugs and gangs XD

Second, a revamping of the rpg rules because its old and outdated, its 2011 for goodness sake! Enough of the dry boring rules topic, we can keep the required rules without it being boring and lame that no one reads lol Color would help too, and better formatting.

Also to steal from asb we could use this as a suggestions box where no one has to be afraid to suggest ideas for the betterment of rpg, and maybe even get some of the suggestions implemented? ASB is really good at really LISTENING and implementing peoples good ideas and I think we are awesome enough to do that too :)

Anyway thats my idea list for now, I need food after working in the heat so long x.x

Mew Master
24th June 2011, 05:24 PM
-,- It's not long and boring, though I'd admit it's a bit vague on some aspects. Though if the current rules topic is like "War and Peace" then my usual RPG posts must be so much worse. :eyeroll2:

While I have no issues sinking to stealing from ASB, how about a list of topics focused for newbies and as a general set of guidelines (these are called Rules).

First off an Introduction and General Rules thing where newbies can head in first to see what's going on. Things to include:

Introduction
-What is RPG
-How to play
-Differences between Sign Up, RPG, and Lounge Topics
-Terms (always useful)
-Basic Forum rules and social skills (basically the boards in general

Making an RPG
-Advice from Veteran players on what to include
-Common Genres (Comedy, Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ect) and mixing it up.
-Sign-up Topic
- What to include in the Sign-up sheet
- Premise
- Useful Links

Joining an RPG
-Though covered, some advanced advice on writing, including characters, checking personalities. Think of it as RPG writing 401

And as for the mentoring thing... Usually newbies will contact ppl when they have questions (mod or not) for advice and to plot, so to me it seems a bit... redundant. Especially when more of the (in)famous RPers are not as active as they used to be...

Asilynne
24th June 2011, 05:32 PM
I got the idea for the mentors thing from my new job, where they put a trainee like me out in the field with an experienced tech to show them the ropes, and the tech tends to be like a big bro to the trainee and a sort of friendship bond is made. So basically thats what I mean, any new rpger would have a built in friend in their mentor. I really like being trained like that and I think it would translate well to rpg.

Mew Master
24th June 2011, 05:33 PM
While you may think it's good, I think it's a bit redundant since newbies will usually approach veterans on their won without an initiative program. Just sayin.

Asilynne
24th June 2011, 05:35 PM
While you may think it's good, I think it's a bit redundant since newbies will usually approach veterans on their won without an initiative program. Just sayin.

I think this post is redundant :P lol

ChobiChibi
24th June 2011, 05:42 PM
ANY bickering, bitchiness, unfriendliness, digs at each other, snide comments etc. and I will delete posts. Simple as. We are sharing here. Constructive sharing.

Kthxbai :3

ChobiChibi
16th August 2011, 05:53 PM
Because I'm feeling productive, it's time to read and reply to the comments made :D Not too late then Hudd *cough*

Get ready for a monster of a post...

Also, to stay more on subject I guess, bringing up the mentoring thing, now that TPM is seeing more people coming in, we can mentor the ones interested in rpg. I suggest people can sign up for it and be assigned a newbie, kinda like Big Brothers/Big Sisters or something, only we're helping them get the hang of and enjoy RPG rather than staying out of drugs and gangs XD

And as for the mentoring thing... Usually newbies will contact ppl when they have questions (mod or not) for advice and to plot, so to me it seems a bit... redundant. Especially when more of the (in)famous RPers are not as active as they used to be...
Alright, so I see where Asi going with this, but I also see Denny's objections. I guess we don't necessarily need a mentoring system as such, but perhaps it would be useful to name a few people, other than the mods obviously, that are willing to help out newbies. I mean, when Whitlea came along, she got a good response from a number of people, which is encouraging! So instead of a mentoring system that's in your face and perhaps patronizing (since y'know, someone might be around the same age as us, or perhaps have more experience than we know about), it is more of a service that's available to those who seek it.

Second, a revamping of the rpg rules because its old and outdated, its 2011 for goodness sake! Enough of the dry boring rules topic, we can keep the required rules without it being boring and lame that no one reads lol Color would help too, and better formatting.
Yeah, I'll give you that. A lot has changed since they were written. I'm not sure how un-boring we can make rules, exactly, since most rules in life are boring XD
But I do like Denny's basic format. Would be willing to work with that, with suggestions of course. Cos the current rules assume that people know what everything means, y'know? Of course, a lot of us know what things mean, but new people won't.
I'm not turning the topic into a rainbow though. Subtle use of colours is necessary.

Also to steal from asb we could use this as a suggestions box where no one has to be afraid to suggest ideas for the betterment of rpg, and maybe even get some of the suggestions implemented? ASB is really good at really LISTENING and implementing peoples good ideas and I think we are awesome enough to do that too :)
This place right here is kinda a suggestion box, just with a bigger, scarier title XD I was pissed off when I made the topic, so that explains a lot... Anywho, can make this topic a bit more happy and friendly looking if needs be.
And hey, I'm always willing to implement ideas, so long as they ARE good XP I don't really believe that any idea of change works without other's input.

Alright, so that's pretty much all I've gotta say on that. Now, girls and boys, I would like some responses to that and some ideas/opinions on the following:
- RPG Rules (anything obvious you think needs changing from the current topic)
- Newsletter
- Tournament
- Awards
- Anything that used to happen that you think should come back
- Anything you feel passionate about from the Council Rooms

In my personal opinion with regards to the newsletter and tournaments that we used to have, I'm only willing to put in as much effort as the rest of you. I'm just being honest here, because I don't want to pour my heart and soul into something if I'm gonna get nothing back from it. And I expect a lot of you feel the same.
That and I've never participated in a tourny. So if someone could dig up one that they think went particularly well and tell us why, that would be fantastic :)

Asilynne
16th August 2011, 10:05 PM
So instead of a mentoring system that's in your face and perhaps patronizing (since y'know, someone might be around the same age as us, or perhaps have more experience than we know about), it is more of a service that's available to those who seek it.

Would be willing to work with that, with suggestions of course. Cos the current rules assume that people know what everything means, y'know? Of course, a lot of us know what things mean, but new people won't.
I'm not turning the topic into a rainbow though. Subtle use of colours is necessary.

Anywho, can make this topic a bit more happy and friendly looking if needs be.
And hey, I'm always willing to implement ideas, so long as they ARE good XP I don't really believe that any idea of change works without other's input.

In my personal opinion with regards to the newsletter and tournaments that we used to have, I'm only willing to put in as much effort as the rest of you. I'm just being honest here, because I don't want to pour my heart and soul into something if I'm gonna get nothing back from it. And I expect a lot of you feel the same.

This is all the things that I believe too. I never wanted a mentoring system that was REQUIRED or too ultra structured, just a casual group of people who agree to help people out that have questions. I'm not a big fan of too much bureaucracy remember :)

As for the tournaments, I really like the idea that Weasel had about the character tourney, it got a lot of submissions but didn't go very far due to lack of input from judges etc (not to point fingers, just a fact). I was in two tournaments which were successful, and I would love to help design one :) I still have a lot of ideas for one that I never got to use because the interest just wasn't there, but I think "if we build it, they will come". *puts hand in* so if anyone is willing I'd like to work with them to make one :)

(also doing the news again would be awesome)

Kuro Espeon
27th August 2011, 05:40 PM
*pokes courthouse* Asi wanted me to post in here, so I am. :D

*cough* Anyway. RPG Tourney... Hmmm... Interesting idea. I likes it. :D I kinda like the idea of posting it kinda in a Pokemon-battle style. Where we play ourselves and our characters are like our Pokemon. XDD