PDA

View Full Version : benefits from evolving pokemon early

chanveil
16th March 2011, 01:36 AM
i used to have one of the guides for firered and in it, it said that if I evolved a growlithe early into the arcanine it would have better stats but at the cost for a worser movepool while if i leveled it up for flamethrower i would lose some stats.- is this true???

i have been thinking about it but i don't beleive it is true as pokemon like Hydreigon even though they evlove at high levels can still get the same Spatk as an Exeggutor.
Could somebody please verify this.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th March 2011, 01:03 PM
Compare the move learning like I did here for

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th March 2011, 01:04 PM
Well evolving them earlier gives tham better stats earlier on of course. In the end they'd have the same stats though. As for the movepool it depends on the Pokémon. Arcanine was an extreme case if I remember correctly, once you evolved it it only learned a single move I think.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th March 2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry for my former reply, I was in a hurry and my connection went off. Anyway, to give you an example I was about to give earlier, I may present a part of my Black and White Pokemon research:

50 64
Deino > Zweilous > Hydreigon
Scary Face 52 55 55
Hyper Voice 58 64 68
Outrage 62 71 79

Larvesta > Volcarona
Quiver Dance 59
Flame Wheel 60
Heat Wave 60
Bug Buzz 70 70
Amnesia 80
Rage Powder 80
Thrash 90
Hurricane 90
Flare Blitz 100
Fiery Dance 100

I don't know if this reply is readable either.

Drago
16th March 2011, 10:54 PM
Well evolving them earlier gives tham better stats earlier on of course. In the end they'd have the same stats though. As for the movepool it depends on the Pokémon. Arcanine was an extreme case if I remember correctly, once you evolved it it only learned a single move I think.
Do the Pokemon's stats really adjust to their evolution's numbers no matter when you evolve them? That's surprising. I always just kind of assumed that if you delayed the evolution, then the Pokemon would be weaker in the end.

DarkestLight
17th March 2011, 07:04 AM
It depends on the Pokemon.

Evolving your Pokemon early allows you to have a stronger beast, and have the base stats for that stronger beast. Lower level evolutions do not have the same end base stats as their higher evolved forms (for the most part). Therefore all around, you will have a weaker creature.

The benefit to evolving later is yes-a greater movepool. Some pokemon, like the monkey trio. Once you evolve them, they don't learn any more moves-and so it would be a waste to do so early on.

Below is Panpour's Maximum limit for all its stats (If it had been given a helpful nature, has a 31 IV in the stat and 252 EV's. The first column is lvl 50, the second is lvl 100)

HP: 157 304
Attack: 115 225
Defense: 110 214
Sp.Atk: 115 225
Sp.Def: 110 214
Speed: 127 249

Now, here's Simipour's

HP: 182 354
Attack: 165 324
Defense: 126 247
Sp.Atk: 165 324
Sp.Def: 126 247
Speed: 168 331

O.o There. All around, evolved forms have a higher base stat total they can achieve, which leads to better numbers.

Now, to answer Drago's inquiry.

Yes. When you evolve you Pokemon, you now have access to their "true" stat total, instead of the pre-evo's. However, there are alot of factors determining this..
1) Pokemon Nature
2) EV spread
3) IV's (can't control those as readily..so ..yeah)

In any event, you'll start to notice, as you level up the evolved creature (usually around lvl 45-65), larger gains in your leveling stats (Sometimes as drastic as +8 for certain categories-like my Drillbur's Atk since I waited for a while to evolve him.) in order to help you near that higher total.

When you reach 100, that Pokemon will reach its target range. May not be the maximum, but it will be within the range designated for the creature. :o

nsmbwii
21st March 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolution almost always boosts all of the stats. A few exceptions being Karrablast who loses speed, Shelmet who loses defence, and Trapinch who loses attack.

On the other hand, the new Eviolite item makes some unevolved pokemon useful.

Chansey overall will have higher defence and special defense with a Eviolite on than it's own evolution. Magenton will have higher defences along with a higher speed than Magnezone.

But, since they are evolved, Magnezone and Blissey have more devastating power and can do more damage with a Thunderbolt than Magneton and Chansey.

Also, some not fully evolved pokemon have different abilities than their evolution. Zwelious has Hustle, which can make it's attack stat better than Hydreigon. But it than has a mediocre special attack along with defences.