PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2011: Cock Blocked

Drago
6th April 2011, 09:17 PM
Meh, I had nothing better to do right now. It's still early days, but if anyone wants to discuss the lack of a season, or the upcoming draft (and how much of a horrible Ryan Leafesque bust Ryan Mallett is going to be), feel free.

To me, the most interesting news piece to have come from all this was Adrian Peterson claiming the current labour situation was like modern-day slavery (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vikings-Adrian-Peterson-calls-NFL-labor-situation-modern-day-slavery-031511), an audacious claim that I found disgusting. When you're scheduled to make 11 million big ones, you don't even say that in jest. AP is a good guy, but he was way out of line with that one.

It's also cute how the big name guys like Brady and Manning didn't even bother showing up for their own court case (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tom-Brady-Peyton-Manning-no-show-at-lockout-court-hurts-NFL-players-040611). It's the guys like Batch, Vrabel, who attended. Nice.

Go nuts, donuts.

Ultimate Charizard
6th April 2011, 09:48 PM
Its ok cos Ocho-Cinqo is apparently going to play Soccer next season so not everyones losing out.

For opinions listen to this Podcast. Im even on it ;)

http://www.lordkat.com/turducken-tasty-126-save-chicken-wings.html!

Jeff
7th April 2011, 07:50 AM
Well, wouldn't you know just this morning I found this in my Facebook news feed. http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/04/06/nfl-players-want-to-end-lockout/

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I feel that nobody wants there to not be a season, and as we get closer to September, both sides will be a little more willing to compromise.

Drago
28th April 2011, 08:54 AM
Lockout lifted, draft only hours away!

So who you got for your team? I know it's a little late to be asking the question, but my eyes will be set firmly on Nick Fairley. Could be the big man in the middle to replace Haynesworth for the Titans. After that, I'm thinking they look QB in round 2 (Dalton seems to be the hot name around Tennessee, but what are his odds of still being there?), LB in round 3, and I'm hoping Alex Green in the fourth. Maybe even Greg Salas in the third to help offset the issues surrounding Kenny Britt?

Can you tell I'm a Hawaii homer? :heh:

Also, I'm closely following the path of Ryan Mallett, my (predictable) pick for bust of the year. I hope to hell he doesn't find his way to Tennessee. Otherwise I'll be hearing these wise words all over again...

“Thanks… to my new coaches, my new owners and everything… It’s a privilege for me to be up here with them. I feel like I need to reward them in some way… So, uhh…

Hopefully uhh… a Super Bowl ring or two can, uhh… do that the next few years.”

~ Ryan Leaf

Jeff
28th April 2011, 07:43 PM
Whoever the Ravens pick, I just hope he stays away from stairs.

Telume
28th April 2011, 08:16 PM
I should probably point out that, while Ochocinco is playing Soccer, he's not in the full team. He's in the reserve league, so he doesn't have a contract with the full MLS side.

(He's playing for Sporting Kansas City in case you're wondering.)

Jeff
25th July 2011, 05:49 PM
Mega bump for NO MORE LOCKOUT!!!!

Telume
25th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Means my dad has work.

Ultimate Charizard
25th July 2011, 06:23 PM
NO MOAR LOCKOUT = MOAR FOOTBALL!

And the reason....

.....because noone wanted to sign Bret Favre and there couldnt be a season without him. Too many fast food restaurants with corporate sponshorships were losing too much money in Hail Mary'd happy meals after giving him a dayjob so demanded The Eagles step up and gave him a contract and one more chance to die on the field.

Drago
25th July 2011, 07:37 PM
After yet another infuriating off-season (two years ago, my man McNair got killed in the offseason, this year, football was killed), we're finally back to normal, though the rich got richer and the backbone, the fans, got stiffed, and are expected to come crawling back like dogs. ...And of course, we will. I already want my Jake Locker jersey.

This should be an interesting free agency period. Damned quick, too, of course. My eyes will be on Matt Hasselbeck, who I'm hoping to take the reigns for the Titans. McNabb would be nice, too, but likely too expensive. Anyone watching any other FAs with particular fancy?

mr_pikachu
26th July 2011, 01:28 AM
In case anyone forgot what's really important in all this.... (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22651) :cool:

One of the things that some players were discussing a few weeks back was the difficulty of moving on short notice -- especially since they couldn't count on their contracts actually being upheld until the deal was in place. As such, a number of players were hesitant to relocate their families without guaranteed salaries to finance their new homes. With a number of teams reporting to camp tomorrow, I'll bet the rookies in particular are having a great time frantically throwing together cross-country moving plans....

Bear
26th July 2011, 10:18 AM
Meh, anyone who actually thought the season wasn't going to happen is pretty gullible. The lockout and extended negotiating period were just dramatic tools to generate public interest in football during the offseason. There's no way these businessmen were dumb enough to risk losing the absurd amount of profit that is generated from a football season.

Deadwood_Zen
26th July 2011, 12:03 PM
Meh, anyone who actually thought the season wasn't going to happen is pretty gullible. The lockout and extended negotiating period were just dramatic tools to generate public interest in football during the offseason. There's no way these businessmen were dumb enough to risk losing the absurd amount of profit that is generated from a football season.
Thank you. WAAAAAAY to much money involved in the NFL to let it "go to waste".

Ghost
27th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Giants pick up Herzlich and Baas.... both solid signings. I'm really hoping they pick up Barrett Ruud though. That would actually bring some stability to our middle linebacker position....

DragoKnight- How do you feel about the Titans getting Hasselbeck? PS: Mallet won't bust

Drago
28th July 2011, 10:29 PM
I'm very very happy with the Hasselbeck signing. He isn't the same Hass of old, but he's an accurate leader who can bridge the gap to Jake Locker so well. They've trained together, both been the big names in Washington, and Hass is an overall good guy, someone you can trust and count on.

There is, simply, no one who could have suited the role better. Hass might even make us competitive this year? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but he has the tools to get it to receivers, and the Titans have more offensive playmakers than you might think... (three!)

And as for Mallett... I really don't like him. If he succeeds, I'll always attribute it to the strength of the Pats masking his flaws, whether or not that claim is justified.

mr_pikachu
29th July 2011, 03:44 AM
Haynesworth and Ochocinco (God, I hate that name) to the Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=6814510).

Yeah. Discuss. Or just say "What?" if that makes more sense to you.

Ghost
30th July 2011, 01:24 AM
Jets miss out on Asomugha: that's killer. The Eagles secondary is absolutely stacked. So much that its almost unfair. Rodgers-Cromartie as your nickelback? That's not right.

I feel the Titans have the potential of being a really good team within the next few years, especially when Locker steps in . The kids a gamer, pure and simple. His last year at Washington may not have been spectacular but you have to realize he was carrying the entire team. Give him a year under Hasselbeck and I feel he will have the potential (keyword) to be as good as Brett Favre in his prime.

The Patriots are also being ridiculous. If Haynesworth and Chad Johnson are as good as they could be (and i have a feeling they will) their defense and offense will receive a significant boost.

And Drago, I understand the hatred for Mallett. He has huge character concerns, but a cannon for an arm and great football instincts. He will succeed due to the fact that he has a great football environment and two of the best mentors he could ever ask for (Brady and Belicheck)

Drago
30th July 2011, 02:43 AM
Ghost, you speak the truth on all fronts...

Random question: looks like I'll be heading to a Rams/Giants game this year. Thing is, I don't support either team, so what in the hell do I wear?

Was considering some blue shit to keep me neutral, and maybe my UH visor. I mean, Greg Salas went to UH... but is that a tad too obscure?

mr_pikachu
30th July 2011, 11:26 AM

Random question: looks like I'll be heading to a Rams/Giants game this year. Thing is, I don't support either team, so what in the hell do I wear?

Was considering some blue shit to keep me neutral, and maybe my UH visor. I mean, Greg Salas went to UH... but is that a tad too obscure?

You wear a Rams shirt, because you support the Rams. It's that simple.

Also, I'm not so sure about the Haynesworth/Ochocinco signings. Given how Belichick operates, I'd be concerned that Chad in particular might corrode the team's discipline and respect for their head coach's authority. Talent aside, it doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to be part of a team.

Deadwood_Zen
30th July 2011, 04:22 PM

Is someone taking you? What team do they support? Just wear an extra jersey of theirs, if they have one.

The_Missing_Link
30th July 2011, 06:13 PM

You don't need to wear any team-related gear. I went to a Pats game once but I don't care for them so I wore non sports-related clothing

Either that or just wear whatever gear your friend gives you if you're going with someone and they have something extra to give

mr_pikachu
31st July 2011, 01:56 AM
Well, Haynesworth is already doing just as much work (http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6819103/albert-haynesworth-practice-conditioning-fail) for the Patriots as he did for Washington. Still think that was a good trade for New England?

kainashi
31st July 2011, 08:39 PM
he practiced today after passing the conditioning test. :eek:

mr_pikachu
1st August 2011, 03:32 PM
Haynesworth: Okay, he's on the right track now. The question is whether he'll stay on track throughout the season. I'm not yet convinced, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

The NFL may be returning, but Randy Moss is not (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6823929/randy-moss-retire-13-seasons-153-touchdowns). Time to update the ol' draft board, people.

Let's just hope he doesn't become another Favre. Speaking of which, where do you think Brett the Infinitely Resurrected (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/771388-nfl-trade-rumors-latest-on-kevin-kolb-reggie-bush-and-more-top-trade-targets/entry/111468-brett-favre-rumors-will-a-team-bring-in-favre-at-some-point-this-season) will return this year?

Ghost
1st August 2011, 09:42 PM
You wear a Rams shirt, because you support the Rams. It's that simple.

Also, I'm not so sure about the Haynesworth/Ochocinco signings.

Haynesworth has the motivation now to prove everyone wrong, which he didn't necessarily have in Washington. He had all the money in the world, so he figured he didn't have to try as hard. Not to mention that playing for a non-contender likely diminished his desire to play. Washington's defensive line was also sub par, leading to constant double teams.

Playing for the Patriots is a completely different experience than the Redskins seeing as they have constantly been playoff contenders for the past ten years. He's also going to be lining up next to Vince Wilfork all year, one of the best DT's in the league still, leading to more one on one matchups where Haynesworth can succeed. Haynesworth likely realizes that this is one of his last chances: If the Patriots can't get him to play then no one can.

Given how Belichick operates, I'd be concerned that Chad in particular might corrode the team's discipline and respect for their head coach's authority. Talent aside, it doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to be part of a team.

Randy Moss had the same concerns coming into 2007 after playing for the Raiders, and look how that turned out for the Patriots. I'm not saying that Ochocinco is of equal talent level of Randy Moss back then, but he's still a damn good player. All Ochocinco has done on Twitter is rave about how he'd love to play for Belichick, so why would he do anything to piss the man off?

Also: I say that Brett retires for good this time. He's got nowhere to go where he can start (except maybe San Fransisco, but that's doubtful), and the supposed Eagles landing spot that was rumored during the lock out has been filled up by Vince Young.

Drago
4th September 2011, 09:57 PM
Pre-season is OVA. :yes:

Tix to Rams/Giants have been PURCHASED. :yes:

Andy Fantuz FAILED as a Bear. :no:

Bear
8th September 2011, 11:45 AM
R U RDY 4 SUM FTBL!?!?!?!

Classtoise
14th September 2011, 01:14 AM
R U RDY 4 SUM FTBL!?!?!?!
Only if you promise to keep it down to the actual football season this time and not pre/post-season and drafts and pre-draft predictions and post-draft analysis and post-pre-draft prediction analysis just so we can talk about football for the 3 months we don't have to listen to people talk about football.

And you may have ONE football themed show and only during Superbowl season.

Bear
14th September 2011, 07:37 AM
wut?

Ryoto
14th September 2011, 09:26 AM
Bear and Ryoto are confused! They hurt themselves in confusion!

Bear
14th September 2011, 03:57 PM
Another Scotsman, huzzah!

Ghost
16th December 2011, 12:49 PM
My predicitions for Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco were wrong... Haynesworth got another team to pick him up somehow and Ocho is just sucking ass on a whole different level... I guess this is why they pay analysts -__-

Seeing as this hasn't been posted in in way too fucking long, I figured i'd give it one last final bump. (On a sidenote, HOLY SHIT this forum is pretty dead)

What are your thoughts on the season so far? Surprises? Upsets? Things your remotely care about? Or will you just let this topic fade back into oblivion?

I am mostly surprised about the Texans still winning without Schaub. The Giants and Jets still suck, as they find a way to every year. BUT what makes me the most happiest guy in the world is the fact that the Eagles are one of the worst teams in the NFL right now. From self-proclaimed "Dream Team" to 5-8. Thank you Lord!

Mr.E
18th December 2011, 02:19 AM
TIM TEBOW?

TIM TEBOW.

Master Rudy
18th December 2011, 06:26 AM
The Giants and Jets still suck, as they find a way to every year. BUT what makes me the most happiest guy in the world is the fact that the Eagles are one of the worst teams in the NFL right now. From self-proclaimed "Dream Team" to 5-8. Thank you Lord!

Fixed that for you.....

Anyway I'm going to be extremely embarassed if the Jets lose to the Eagles. In order to prevent a Pats clinch they have to win and New England needs to lose to the Broncos today.

At the start of the season I predicted a Jets/Packers Super Bowl. As sour as the season has been at times I still believe the Jets have a chance. I will however admit I don't look forward to it being against the Packers :-/

Bear
18th December 2011, 07:11 AM
What sucks about the Yets is Mark Sanchez and Brian Schottenheimer. If they got rid of those two they'd be elite.

Pittsburgh is dying slowly and painfully, eventually the injuries will catch them :(

Jeff
18th December 2011, 07:25 AM
As a Ravens fan, the biggest surprises for me, well there were three. Yeah you know them. The first wasn't that big a deal, the Titans are a decent team. The last two though were just WTF boiled down into its purest form. This coming from the team that blew out the Steelers, beat them again at Heinz, and also beat the Texans and Niners.

Luckily the curse seems to have been broken with the road win over the Browns. Hoping they go into SD tonight and bring home a playoff spot, and maybe even the division title next week if the Steelers' injuries do catch up with them.

Bear
18th December 2011, 11:52 AM
I would be personally satisfied if the Ravens lost and Steelers won this week, but I'm not banking on it :D

Ghost
18th December 2011, 02:02 PM
What sucks about the Yets is Mark Sanchez and Brian Schottenheimer. If they got rid of those two they'd be elite.

Pittsburgh is dying slowly and painfully, eventually the injuries will catch them :(

I feel like if Sanchez had developed at all the past two years and hadn't stayed the same QB he was when he entered the league the Jets would be great. He's a good QB, but he's way too inconsistent and makes the same bad throws week after week. In a way, he's almost just like Eli Manning.

Speaking of Eli and the Giants, I can barely watch this game any more. Our defense is getting torn up by Helu and Rex Fucking Grossman and Jacobs/Bradshaw can't run and our receivers can't catch.

Jeff
18th December 2011, 03:07 PM
If you listen closely, you can hear the corks popping.

Roy Karrde
18th December 2011, 03:18 PM
Did I wake up in some messed up alternate world? I just turned on the TV and not only did Indy win, not only did the Packers lose, but New York pissed away their playoff chances in spectacular fashion.

Ghost
18th December 2011, 03:27 PM
Did I wake up in some messed up alternate world? I just turned on the TV and not only did Indy win, not only did the Packers lose, but New York pissed away their playoff chances in spectacular fashion.

We must be in the same world... Because I just heard the annoucers on the Jets game talking about how the Miami Dolphins were seriously considering Brian Schottenheimer for their Head Coach position.

DOES JEFF IRELAND NOT WATCH FOOTBALL? THE JETS ARE IN THEIR DIVISION FFS, THEY SHOULD KNOW HOW AWFUL SCHOTTENHEIMER IS.

EDIT: Also, Ocho Cinco just scored his first TD :D

Bear
18th December 2011, 10:19 PM
lolravens

Drago
18th December 2011, 10:23 PM
Titans loss to Colts... Leaves them mathematically alive, but damn man, they don't deserve it now. 2012, here we come... :(

Ghost
18th December 2011, 10:55 PM
Titans loss to Colts... Leaves them mathematically alive, but damn man, they don't deserve it now. 2012, here we come... :(

Did Locker end up playing?

Bear
19th December 2011, 08:58 AM
Am I the only person who has known for years that Hasselbeck is an average QB that will never win a SB or even be considered in the elite or HoF discussion? Feels like people keep giving him chances hoping he'll do something, and he never does...

Drago
19th December 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think it's fair to lump this one on Hass. He's clearly banged up, and shouldn't have been out there. He's doing the best with limited weapons (once Britt bit the dust, our offense took a major hit), and a subpar o-line.

He's limited in the sense that he needs the tools around him to succeed. Locker, on the other hand, can make plays. He managed to drive them downfield for a TD late in the game, and he has really looked sharp. I would prefer one more year to develop, but we'll see what happens this offseason.

Titans need: legitimate pass rusher, upgrade at receiving positions, rebirth of CJ2K and retooling on the o-line.

Jeff
19th December 2011, 03:05 PM
lolravens

OK, make that four surprises.

Please. No more, Ravens. I don't like surprises.:(

Bear
19th December 2011, 03:14 PM
to be fair the Chargers are ridiculous this time of year, so it's not like it's an embarrassment to lose to them. It just came at the worst possible time for the Ravens.

Drago
26th December 2011, 06:31 PM
In case you missed it...

CtaDy_Y9kNI