PDA

View Full Version : Weird quirks.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th April 2011, 03:39 AM
During a runthrough of any pokemon game, you come across strange little things you do (or NEED to do) where you always wonder: do other people do that too? Cliche example: pressing B+ Up when waiting for a pokeball to 'click'.

So this a thread dedicated to all your crazy ass quirks!

I have an autistic need to always talk to the enemy trainer first. I can't be 'caught' by coming across their eye-sight. I like to make the challenges, or something...:D

Drago
11th April 2011, 04:22 AM
I can't lose. Simply cannot. And it's not because I don't want to fork out the money when I die. I just hate losing. So I save fairly frequently and reset if I end up losing somewhere.

The only time I accepted a loss was at the end of White, against Ghetsis, since I couldn't be arsed fighting N and catching Zekrom over again.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th April 2011, 07:01 AM
I also can't play past 6pm. My brain just goes anti-pokemon then..

..and auto-alcohol:D

Jeff
11th April 2011, 07:43 AM
Whenever one of my Pokemon takes a hit, I always used to hold right on the control pad and B. I started doing it back in Red out of the hope that it was some sort of cheat to reduce the damage you take from the attack. No, nobody told me it was a cheat, I just figured it was, and was convinced it was working.

I still do that from time to time, and the hold B to catch Pokemon thing. Also, when I'm trying to catch something, I like to press left and right in time with the ball shaking.

Deadwood_Zen
11th April 2011, 08:49 AM
MLG, I do the same ting with trainers. I just can't stand the sight of them challenging me :O:

Lady Vulpix
11th April 2011, 09:36 AM
I do (did?) that thing with trainers too. As for holding B or pressing it repeatedly, I did it back in Red, but then I stopped doing it.

Magmar
11th April 2011, 09:47 AM
I hold up as the Pokeball flies, then press B as soon as it blows up.
I also try to ONLY use Pokeballs, and may reset until Pokeballs catch that legendary.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th April 2011, 10:47 AM
I also can't seem to train any pokemon that I'm not going to be using for the entire game. It just seems a waste of EXP =/ Since B/W, that kinda sucks since high leveled pokemon dun get any expierence from battles (unless the opponents levels are high aswell).

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
11th April 2011, 11:49 AM
The only real quirk is that I have made it a habit to talk to each and every character in the game. I can't move past a single one, I have to talk to them all.

Asilynne
11th April 2011, 12:35 PM
^ Same here, I talk to everyone, its an RPG habit I got XD

I also like the pokeball to match the pokemon. So basically if I'm catching a cute pink pokemon, I will make sure its a female and I'll use a Heal Ball so that it matches >.> I also have to name each and every one, even if I never plan on using it. In those cases I'd name it something it looks like or reminds me of like Trashbag or Dumptruck or if they piss me off I will name them bad words ;D Even the pokemon I catch to use as trading fodder I will name things like Throwaway.

Blademaster
11th April 2011, 12:42 PM
pressing B+ Up when waiting for a pokeball to 'click'.

I can't lose. Simply cannot. And it's not because I don't want to fork out the money when I die. I just hate losing. So I save fairly frequently and reset if I end up losing somewhere.

The only real quirk is that I have made it a habit to talk to each and every character in the game. I can't move past a single one, I have to talk to them all.

I also have to name each and every one, even if I never plan on using it.

All of these.

Also, I play survivalist. I usually have well over 100,000 Pokedollars by end game because I buy very little and live off of what I find on the ground and with the Dowsing Machine instead.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th April 2011, 03:36 PM
Asi, I do that too!

Some species HAVE to be male for me, some female. Also adjusted name and I like six different pokeballs (as I normally only train 5 max anyway). So starter gets pokeball (or first capture if I ditch starter), then greatball, ultraball or any special balls I pick up during the runthrough.

I also buy all my pokeballs in ten-fold to get premierballs:D

Chris 2.1
11th April 2011, 05:08 PM
I always like different Pokeballs. In Plati, Torterra was in plain, Rapidash in Premier, Medicham in Heal, etc.

Also I read in a magazine (Nintendo unofficial or something) on Stadium, if you held A, it helped the accuracy of moves like Blizzard or Fire Blast. So I tend to subconsciously do that during a pinch.

Dryk
11th April 2011, 10:33 PM
If I'm hitting an enemy, I'll hold to the left of the little pad hoping it will hurt him some more. If he's hitting me, I'll hold to the right hoping it'll do less damage.

Then when I throw a Pokeball, I almost always mash A hoping that helps.

Finally, when I'm doing a runthrough, if I see a pokemon in the wild I haven't caught, I will usually take the time to capture it or I will walk around extra in grass looking for rare pokemon.

DarkestLight
11th April 2011, 10:55 PM
I do just about everything here, from the talking to the name asshattery XD. THe one thing I do the most of is evolve Happiness Pokemon by biking back and forth like 10K steps, then pitching them in the Box aptly named: "Fuck off."

Magmar
12th April 2011, 08:10 AM
I also name my Pokemon silly/inappropriate things.

Asilynne
12th April 2011, 10:36 AM
I also name my Pokemon silly/inappropriate things.

XD!!!! Nice. Once I got a female Mr. Mime somehow so I named it Bulldyke ;D

Blademaster
12th April 2011, 05:08 PM
Probably one of the LESS offensive nicknames that particular Pokemon has gotten...

papabopp
12th April 2011, 08:10 PM
I do most everything here as well.

Oslo
12th April 2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I can kind of locate myself in a lot of these quirks. I'm generally pretty partial to themed nicknames. All the Pokemon I catch per run-through share a common nickname theme: Shakespearean names, McDonald's menu items, swear words, modernist poets, the word for "toilet" in various languages, capital cities (zing), actual given names that can be created using only the letters in the Pokemon's species, famous black people, prime numbers, overrated movies (I have fond memories of Garden St8 the Breloom), rhetorical devices, types of cheese, cliche names for fictional 90's dot-com companies...

I always manage to outdo myself every time.

Deadwood_Zen
12th April 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does all of these weird things in game :D

MeLoVeGhOsTs
13th April 2011, 02:32 AM
OSLO!

Blademaster
13th April 2011, 01:59 PM
I have the same nicknaming habit. Always trying to outdo myself... It used to be just fitting words and such that sounded cool, then the generic mythological figures, then it became Mario characters (like in ASB!), then general video game characters, then in Black I started naming the new Pokemon what I felt their names should have been (Oshawott named Wotter, Blitzle named Zapra, female Swanna named Swancess, etc.).

I'm going to go with stupid puns on this run through. My Haxorus shall be named Leet, just to be gloriously unoriginal.

Deadwood_Zen
13th April 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm going to go with stupid puns on this run through. My Haxorus shall be named Leet, just to be gloriously unoriginal.
I rofl'd.

Drago
13th April 2011, 10:52 PM
I only noticed this last night, while playing White, I have been poking the touch screen during damage in a subconscious effort to either make it a critical hit if I made the attack or prevent it from knocking out my Pokemon if I'm taking it.

I wonder if I did the same thing with Pearl, as well?

nsmbwii
22nd April 2011, 02:20 PM
I have an obsession with making up ideas for new pokemon and drawing them. Currently made about 40 new monsters, along with abilities and dex entries. If only I had a scanner...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd April 2011, 01:39 AM
I sometimes check if I 'saved properly' after stopping playing. Meaning when I decide to quit, I save first, then reset, and then load, to see if I 'saved properly'. I know it consumes the battery but that's why I don't do it so often.

classy_cat18
23rd April 2011, 10:38 AM
I catch myself saving my game two or three times in a row because I quickly forget if I saved.

If a Pokemon I catch is or will be a Water/Ground type, they'll most likely be named Slippy after my Quagsire from Silver. Mareep and evos will be Beacon and they're always female. I've started having trouble coming up with nicknames, and ended up naming my Sawk S.K. Guru (cookie for anyone who figures that out).

Oh, and I also can't lose. Ever.

Jeff
23rd April 2011, 05:18 PM
I have an obsession with making up ideas for new pokemon and drawing them. Currently made about 40 new monsters, along with abilities and dex entries. If only I had a scanner...

I do the same thing, except I don't draw them anymore. I've now come up with ideas for over 250 pokemon.

Blademaster
23rd April 2011, 06:14 PM
Same here. Sadly, most of them are either long-lost or have been... already implemented by GameFreak.

Shadow Wolf
23rd April 2011, 10:04 PM
Well, apart from identifying myself with some quirks...

-I have this habit of exploring every inch of an area. Whether it is a town, a field or a cave, I just couldn't get out of it until I explored everything. And if I couldn't, I'd take note of what I would possibly need and I would go back as soon as I got it.

-Getting extremely ready for any battle I consider though. (And in extreme, I mean buying at least 30 full restore, 30 Full Heal, 30 hyper potions, 40 of each ball (in case of catching a pokemon), and in the case of the elite four: fighting the first battle, estimate the possible level of the champion and leveling up my pokemon by abusing vs seeker or wild pokemon 'till I felt ready.

-and the most tedious one: trying to find a shiny pokemon at least once in every game (I would choose a few possible pokemon in a same route, go to the place and spend probably two months trying to find one (Until DPPt came out and made things easier with the pokeradar. I got bored of chasing shiny pokemon)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd April 2011, 10:15 PM
-and the most tedious one: trying to find a shiny pokemon at least once in every game (I would choose a few possible pokemon in a same route, go to the place and spend probably two months trying to find one (Until DPPt came out and made things easier with the pokeradar. I got bored of chasing shiny pokemon)

Thus your old username, shinypkmnchaser, right? Did you change it because of the addition of the Pokeradar?

Shadow Wolf
24th April 2011, 11:53 PM
Mikachu: Not really. I chose shinypkmnchaser at my username because I was chasing a shiny Rayquaza at that time, but I felt lke I needed a username that I could identify myself with for the rest of my time at TPM. That's why the change.

I still hunt for shiny pokemon, but I prefer to do it in GSC, Fr,Lg and RSE. It's more challengung and more exciting, since you don't know when its going to appear (With the pokeradar, the grass shines when you can find a shiny pokemon). :)