PDA

View Full Version : IRL: Dealing with Depression

mario72486
15th April 2011, 10:13 PM
Imagining that you lived in the anime-verse, how would you handle a Pokémon with severe depression?

The reason I ask is that I'm preparing to write another piece based on the Ultimate Battle Frontier (http://pokemon-ubf.deviantart.com/) competitions on Deviantart. This one in particular would involve the same characters from 'Challenging the Blizzard,' but would take place shortly before the 2011 UBF.

The Pokémon in question is Leo's Steelix, Iron Maiden. She was caught as an Onix back when Leo started his journey, and was the first he actually captured. As the years passed and the rogue's journey progressed, she was eventually relegated to the backup roster. It wasn't until recent events occurred that she is finally called to rejoin his main team. Not being used in ages has taken its toll, and Iron Maiden is down in the dumps. Leo wants to find a way to return her to her old self.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could take this and how Leo could deal with this situation? And also, what other examples of Pokémon depression have people devised for their own works?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th April 2011, 10:57 PM
I should know something about this but all that comes to my mind is the anime ep Chikorita's Big Upset where there was a Pokemon psychiatrist.

Perhaps Steelix should be given some extra stimulus or inspiration, like some form of art therapy. Like arranging rocks or breaking them, or digging up tunnels.

Or it could just be given a prescription of Opamox or something. Not really.

Blademaster
16th April 2011, 09:41 AM
..........What is this thread I don't even...

Telume
16th April 2011, 05:20 PM
http://irowiki.org/ow/images/c/ce/Dum.gif

... wat?

crown34
16th April 2011, 07:40 PM
...I don't get it.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th April 2011, 01:17 AM
I was confused, too, at first, but why not try to read only the first sentence:

Imagining that you lived in the anime-verse, how would you handle a Pokémon with severe depression?

Blademaster
17th April 2011, 01:35 AM
...Why?

shazza
17th April 2011, 01:43 AM
With berry's being prominent in the second generation (as far as I know), I would try to search for a merry berry. :)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th April 2011, 03:59 AM
Honestly I love trying to explain how things work in the Pokémon World but in this case ... I got nothing.

I guess there are psychologists that particularly care for Pokémon. Most likely they have toys there and other Pokémon for company to cheer them up.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th April 2011, 06:32 AM
...Why?

It's for a fanfic, that's why!

Magmar
21st April 2011, 06:53 PM
Increase motivation by making changes to the environment. Ensure that the onix knows that its contributions to the organization are valued and needed. Amplify the significant work that you delegate to the onix. Provide frequent feedback and attention as needed. Create rewards that will motivate the onix to perform well. Treat all your pokemon in equitable ways. Make sure the onix's good behaviors are rewarded and poor behaviors are turned into learning opportunities for you and your onix to maintain a healthy working relationship. When appraising your pokemon's performance, don't give in to errors of recency or leniency. Make sure that her achievements are recognized over the course of the review cycle. Give the onix a raise and increase benefits. Make sure that when measuring your onix's personality that you are using reliable instruments that are free from validity errors. If using a dichotomous scale make sure that all factors measure the job of being a pokemon. If you don't know the job of a pokemon, conduct a job analysis. For example inter rater reliability. Would I ask a pokemon master give onix the same performance rating as you would? Your appraisal should measure the job of a pokemon, not be contaminated by measuring other things, or deficient in that it fails to measure things important to a pokemon's job. Use concurrent validity (criterion-related validity) because onix is already on your roster.

Train that onix in something new to develop her skills further. Maybe a new tm will increase motivation. Remember that attitudes lead to intentions which lead to behaviors. If your onix is not behaving as she used to, try to unearth her intentions. Work on that first. Drive her to intend to win and her attitude towards pokemon battling will change. Is the onix part of a team? Does onix get to take part in decision-making? Talk to your onix and figure out what she wants to get out of pokemon battling. Create rewards based on her personal goals that are in line with your goals. The onix has unique ideas and talents that can be leveraged in a team of diverse pokemon from all backgrounds. Reintegrate the onix into the team as a trusted member of your team rather than as an estranged, distant member.

To improve onix's self efficacy, you should turn to the Expectancy Theory model. First expectancy judgment--"If I fight hard, I will win the battle." Then instrumentality--"If I win the battle, I will get a reward." Then valence--"I want the reward." If these factors are present then they should work to increase motivation of your pokemon. Don't give in to the self serving bias or the fundamental attribution error. If onix loses the pokemon battle it could be due to the environment not the pokemon. If onix wins it could also be due to the environment not the pokemon. Beware of causal attributions.

...What, you asked how to motivate a subordinate to achieve your goals, did you think I wasn't going to give you a management major schpiel?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st April 2011, 10:33 PM
Wow Magmar, that was good. At first, I thought you copypasted a text from a webpage when I saw the length of your post, but then I noticed the words 'Pokemon', 'Onix' and 'Battle' inserted there and there. My doubts vanished, I know you do better. Truly, I only noticed one factual error, it's Steelix, not Onix!