PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] gameboyonline.com is fun help me make a team

Katie
24th April 2011, 10:54 AM
I haven't played red in 10 years but now I'm playing online and need help making a kickass team.

I just beat sabrina and my team is ~lvs 35 so keep that in mind with recommendations for what I can learn/TM now, but "final" move sets are appreciated too. It's not too late for me to pull a pkmn out of a box to train up but I swear to god if you make me pull out lv 4 spearow... or I could keep an eye out for new pokemon whilst on my pokemon journey. just remember this is online, I cannot trade for blue-only pkmn.

Lapras lv 35
water gun
sing
confuse ray
body slam

awesome hp, can't wait for ice beam

Gloom lv 35
mega drain
acid
poison powder
sleep powder

this guy was pretty cool when I got him as a wee oddish but he's starting to lag and runs out of mega drain pp stupidly fast :/

Beedrill lv 35
twineedle
fury attack
poison sting
cut

I needed a pokemon who could cut :/ surprisingly holds his own, twineedle is fun against the right pkmns

Charizard lv 36
ember
slash
rage
earthquake

I heard somewhere that a good charizard is flamethrower slash earthquake and swords dance? soooo I've got 2 of those and flamethrower's pipsqueak little brother ember

Hypno lv 36
hypnosis
dream eater
confusion
headbutt

prob my favorite. kills everything. is a baller.

Pikachu lv 35
thunderbolt
thunderwave
swift
quick attack

crappy stats but I already wasted my thunderbolt tm on it so I guess I'll keep it!

thanks, much 'ppreciated

edit: trained more, got a couple more moves, yay

MeLoVeGhOsTs
25th April 2011, 03:49 AM
I just restarted Crystal because of this thread:D

Ok for suggestions:

I haven't played red in 10 years but now I'm playing online and need help making a kickass team.

I just beat sabrina and my team is ~lvs 35 so keep that in mind with recommendations for what I can learn/TM now, but "final" move sets are appreciated too. It's not too late for me to pull a pkmn out of a box to train up but I swear to god if you make me pull out lv 4 spearow... or I could keep an eye out for new pokemon whilst on my pokemon journey. just remember this is online, I cannot trade for blue-only pkmn.

Lapras lv 35
water gun
sing
confuse ray
body slam

awesome hp, can't wait for ice beam.

It has acces to Icebeam + Thunderbolt which gets resisted by almost nothing, Laturn and Magneton are examples but both of them are not in this generation (well Magneton doesn't have his steel typing so meh). Furthemore, Blizzard is always > Icebeam in RBY since it has a pretty decent accuracy! Still, Lapras is quite bulky so you can use Rest with it. It also has acces to Confuse Ray which I recommend, or Reflect if you're a fan of it. You can keep Body Slam, since the paralysis boost would really benefit Lapras.

Gloom lv 35
mega drain
acid
poison powder
sleep powder

this guy was pretty cool when I got him as a wee oddish but he's starting to lag and runs out of mega drain pp stupidly fast :/

Sleeppowder and Megadrain are gonna be the best thing you get on Vileplume in this generation. I suggest adding Swordsdance (yes I suggest it a lot) and Body Slam/Hyperbeam. Hyperbeam is a good attack in RBY since it doesn't require a recharge if you knock out the enemy pokemon. You could also use Stun Spore + Sleeppowder if you like it.

Beedrill lv 35
twineedle
fury attack
poison sting
cut

I needed a pokemon who could cut :/ surprisingly holds his own, twineedle is fun against the right pkmns

Swordsdance again, Twineedle, Hyperbeam and a filler. It doesn't really matter what you use as a filler, might aswell be Cut.

Charizard lv 36
ember
slash
rage
earthquake

I heard somewhere that a good charizard is flamethrower slash earthquake and swords dance? soooo I've got 2 of those and flamethrower's pipsqueak little brother ember.

Swordsdance is again a suggested move and combine it with EQ, Flamethrower/Fireblast and another physical attack like Body Slam or Hyperbeam. Boring:D

Hypno lv 36
hypnosis
dream eater
confusion
headbutt

prob my favorite. kills everything. is a baller.

I love this pokemon. Psychic is a more reliable attack then Dreameater, but it's your choice. Rest to keep it alive, along with Hypnosis. It can also reflect, mimic and thunderwave.

Pikachu lv 35
thunderbolt
thunderwave
swift
quick attack

crappy stats but I already wasted my thunderbolt tm on it so I guess I'll keep it!

As good as it gets. Add Bodyslam/Hyperbeam again if you wish, along with Submission, just because it can:D

thanks, much 'ppreciated

edit: trained more, got a couple more moves, yay

Hope this helped you out a bit, otherwise don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Poryhedron
25th April 2011, 10:44 AM
Aren't you limited to a single Swords Dance TM if you can't trade?

Blademaster
25th April 2011, 12:26 PM
I think they can be bought in the Celadon Department Store.

It's been years since I played Yellow, so don't hold me to that.

Crazy Elf Boy
25th April 2011, 02:04 PM
According to my sources you only find 1 in the Silph Co building as a pick up.

Blademaster
25th April 2011, 07:34 PM
If you only get one, then I'd suggest sticking it on either Charizard or maybe Hypno. Vileplume and Beedrill are a bit too frail and lacking in power attacks to really make use of Swords Dance as much as the others.

Beedrill's attack strength makes Twineedle and Hyper Beam must-haves. You can also stick Toxic on it, since your Gloom already has a Poison-inducing move.

Speaking of Gloom, Vileplume is the flimsiest fully-evolved RBY Grass Pokemon. Special Attack is all it has going for it, so for God's sake, Mega Drain and Solarbeam that motherfucker. And keep Sleep Powder on it. Stun Spore or Poisonpowder are viable last moves, but there's little else it can do unless you want to risk giving it Petal Dance.

Pikachu is OK, but Submissioning Rock/Ground types is fun. Your call.

Charizard would probably get the best use out of Swords Dance. That, Flamethrower/Fireblast, Earthquake, and your choice of last move. I'd go with Fly because I love STAB, but in-game is where Fly shines. Online, you're probably better off with Body Slam or Mega Punch/Kick.

Lapras is the Swiss army knife of your team. Its attack and Special Attack are identical, so go any which way you want with it. I'd go with Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam/Blizzard, and Confuse Ray. It learns Body Slam by leveling up, though, so your call there.

Hypno again has identical normal and Special stats when it comes to attacking, so it can be a royal pain in the ass to take down. I'd take advantage of its sturdy defenses as well and use it as something of a staller: Hypnosis and Thunder Wave can keep annoying targets at bay for a bit, and Dream Eater... Well, Psychic IS more reliable, but come on. Hypno without Dream Eater is like Probopass without the moustache. You might as well just not even bother. I'd say Thunder Wave, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, and either Psychic or Mega Punch/Kick. Or combine Thunder Wave and a power attack by giving Hypno Body Slam. Yeah, Body Slam, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, and Psychic is what I'd roll with.

Oh, and I suck at competitive play, by the way. :D

Katie
26th April 2011, 09:32 AM
you know I'm not committed to keeping each pokemon here, they're low level enough to trade out for something in the PC or catch later to make a perm addition to ze team. if gloom sucks I can dump it before I start wasting TMs, what's a good pkmn to put in his place?

what is STAB? and what do you mean online? and it won't let me teach fly to charizard anyway.

and yeah I was gonna ask where to get more swordsdances. same goes for thunderbolt, can I get another one for lapras somewhere? I already used the one I had on pikachu who's really starting to suck, fking 77 hp when everyone else is 95-145

prolly should have mentioned that I need surf somewhere in the team too, I assume on lapras.

I gotta go to work but I'll look over the suggestions and figure out wtf the moves yall are suggesting actually do and then post an updated team "idea"

ps I beat koga, wooooooot
edit: fuck it didn't save apparently, I have NOT beaten koga 8(
also I can't find tm 03 uhmmm, probably missed it somewhere

Blademaster
26th April 2011, 07:23 PM
what is STAB?

Same Type Attack Bonus.

Basically, if a Pokemon uses a move of that Pokemon's type, the move becomes 1.5 times stronger. So, say, a Charizard (Fire/Flying) using Earthquake (a Ground move) would do Earthquake's standard 100 damage, whereas a Ground Pokemon like Nidoking or Rhydon using Earthquake would do 100 damage x1.5 = 150 damage.

and what do you mean online?

I assumed that since the site's name is gameboyONLINE.com, there'd be a way to battle online. My mistake.

Strange about Charizard not learning Fly, though. It can learn that HM in every Generation...

Swords Dance, as has been said, is a one-time TM that is in the Silph Co. somewhere. Thunderbolt is also a one-time move, sadly, given to you in the Vermilion Gym.

If you aren't happy with Pikachu, Jolteon is a great choice for an Electric-type in RBY: It's both fast and can learn a Swiss army of moves. Stick Thunder and Thunder Wave on that motherfucker ASAP, and don't forget to teach it Pin Missile so it can troll Psychic types that are too strong for Beedrill. Remember, Beedrill is part-Poison, so Psychic Pokemon will rape it as hard as it rapes them, if not harder. Jolteon's attack power sucks, but Double Kick and Pin Missile are still good moves for it just for type coverage. Or you can give it Sand-Attack or Flash so it can cripple beefy mofos and then whittle them down with its other moves.

Poryhedron
26th April 2011, 08:33 PM
Sadly, Charizard could not learn Fly in Red and Blue versions. It only gained that ability in Yellow.

Blademaster
27th April 2011, 02:07 PM
Well that's fucking dumb. I dunno what else to stick on it then. Probably some Normal power move.

Katie
30th April 2011, 09:55 PM
k, well, still undecided but this is what I'm leaning towards.

1. :131: Lapras
blizzard
surf
confuse ray
body slam

I'm not so excited about the 5pp of blizzard when I get to the elite four, my memory is fuzzy but you have to fight them all in a row without pokecenters if I remember right? so it has ice beam in its place for the time being while I decide.

2. :015: Beedrill
twineedle
toxic
hyperbeam
cut

he has all these taught now so he's all set, and good GOD hyperbeam is expensive.

3. :006: Charizard
flamethrower (or fire blast?)
earthquake
swords dance
body slam (??)

currently has slash, not entirely sure on body slam but if I finish the rest of the team and still have the TM I guess I'll use it. still up in the air about FT/FB but I seem to have a lot of 5pp moves already, I'd rather not run out of my one fire move so fast.

4. :097: Hypno
hypnosis
dream eater(or thunderwave?)
psychic
rest?

not completely sold on keeping both DE&P so I might dump DE for thunderwave? especially if I go with rest I won't need the stolen hp so bad.

5. pretty sure I'm dumping :025: Pikachu for something else. what about a Zapdos or Electabuzz, Electrode or Magneton? (e: magneton/electrode suck nvm.) what are some good movesets for them? (remember I DON'T have the thunderbolt tm anymore) Jolteon is pretty cool but I wanna look at everything.

6. pretty sure I'm dumping :044: Gloom too, what would be a good replacement+moveset? exeggcute/or? if I don't really need a grass pokemon then tell me, and let me know a good type that would round out the rest of the team please. :)

additional question (after final team is decided): where should I use my pp-ups, hp-ups, calciums, irons, etc. etc. etc.? they take up space in my item pc but I'm not sure where to use them yet.

edit: added pkmn smilies 8)

Blademaster
30th April 2011, 10:50 PM
Lapras

Looks good to me. I personally prefer Ice Beam's 10PP to Blizzard's 5, but it's not as vital as it is in GSC when Lance has some actual Dragon-types on his team of Dragons and Blizzard tends to miss more anyway.

Beedrill

Enjoy raping everything with crappy Defense. :D

Charizard

Again, I prefer the 10PP moves to the 5PP ones, but if you have PP Up's, Ethers, Elixirs, etc.., then go for Fire Blast.

Also, I forgot about Slash. It crits pretty much constantly in the older games, so I'd say to keep it if you haven't got enough time to set up Swords Dance. Or if you do. OVERKILL!!!! :hellyeah:

Hypno

I'm not a Hypno expert, but if you're gonna go defensive with this thing, maybe Reflect/Light Screen would help? I mean its only attack is Psychic if you ditch Dream Eater; all its other moves you have there are for stalling, so why not complete the package?

Magneton?

In RBY? Don't bother. No Steel resistances and its ONLY good stat is Special attack, which is great for Thunder and... oh wait, that's all it has, except for the then-Physical Tri-Attack. Since Confusion stacks with other status fuck-up-eries, you CAN try Thunder Wave+Supersonic, but I wouldn't waste the effort.

Electrode

Not so great because of its limited movepool and low stats, but that Speed... <3 Thunder and Eplosion are mandatory if you wanna do any decent damage, and its Speed makes Double Team great as well. Your last move isn't gonna help much most of the time... It can be Thunder Wave if you still have the TM, or maybe Swift/Sonicboom if you wanna do some surefire damage. Other than that, meh.

Zapdos

High stats make this probably the best choice... Even if only fags use Legendaries against the Easy4. :P Seriously, its Special is great, and its Attack is quite respectable too. Stick Thunder and Drill Peck on it, along with your Fly HM, and you have rape on wings. Be a bitch and give it Whirlwind or Thunder Wave, or go kamikaze with Double-Edge. Zapdos, Legendary or not, is probably the logical choice.

Electabuzz

Electabuzz, my favorite Electric-type's middle form... It's a bit frail due to lower HP and Defense than the other choices here, but the rest of its stats almost rival Zapdos in terms of sheer balanced offensive power and speed. Again, Thunder (or if you want more PP, Thunderpunch) is vital for raw damage. Submission is great for Rock/Ground hybrids or the beefy Normal types that the rest of your team will have some trouble with. Also, PSYCHIC MOTHERFUCKER. Your last move can be whatever you want... Thunder Wave or Double Team for stalling (Though this can backfire because, again, 'buzz is fragile.), Body Slam if you still have the TM, or you can go for broke and use Psywave and Metronome just for fun. Nothing quite like your Electric Pokemon Metronoming a Bubblebeam at one of Bruno's Onix's. :cawg:

Gloom

I've tl;dr'd enough, but Grass pummels Water, Ground, and Rock. Your Electric type can handle the former, and Lapras can handle the latter two. Though they weren't a big threat in Gen I, Rock Pokemon can wreck your team. A Rock/Ground type in particular will floor everybody you have except Hypno. Since all the Grass Pokemon in RBY are part Poison (except loltangela and the iffy Exeggutor), I'd recommend a Rock resisting Pokemon, like a Ground type or a Fighting Pokemon. Marowak, Hitmonlee, Machoke/Machamp, or even Primeape or Poliwrath can kick some serious ass.

additional question (after final team is decided): where should I use my pp-ups, hp-ups, calciums, irons, etc. etc. etc.? they take up space in my item pc but I'm not sure where to use them yet.

I usually use them on whatever Pokemon has the highest stat in that area. Most HP gets HP Up, highest Attack gets Protein, etc..

Mr.E
1st May 2011, 05:45 PM
There's no point in wasting time with buff/status moves and crap in-game, except maybe sleep moves for tougher battles.

Slash is boss, Zapdos is pretty good because it naturally learns Drill Peck too. Ice Beam is better than Blizzard if PP is your concern, just don't forget that Surf has plenty of PP and is a perfectly fine neutral attack. The only time you need Ice attacks over Water are against Lance's dragons and Rival's Exeggutor, since both types are neutral or ineffective against everything else.

Could always use good ol' Dugtrio to round things out. Natural Dig means using your Earthquake TM is no problem and it also learns Slash.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
2nd May 2011, 04:32 AM
I always used Swordsdance ingame. Dance once or twice and sweep the team if you're faster.

Blademaster
2nd May 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm a boss and never bothered with stat moves. I just sweep everything without them. :cool2: