PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: Next Nintendo console to be revelealed at E3

Jeff
25th April 2011, 09:09 AM
Nintendo has officially announced the successor to the Wii. The announcement was rumored to coincide with the upcoming investors' meeting, which will be starting in 17 hours. No games have been announced, but it was mentioned that the new console will be playable at E3 2011, so we can expect game reveals there. Current rumors regarding games have focused on Rockstar and Retro Studios as developing games for the new system. None of the rumors seem to be pointing at a Pokémon game being available for the system early on, but it's certainly a possibility, and we can expect to see Pokémon games for the new console down the road. There isn't any other confirmed information on the new system, only conflicting rumors, so don't believe everything you read unless it comes directly from Nintendo.

Press release:

Nintendo Co. Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011 in Los Angeles.

Sales of the new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.

DarkestLight
25th April 2011, 09:18 AM
And here we go. Gen 8, lock and load!

Blademaster
25th April 2011, 12:24 PM
So Project Cafe is real after all...

I wonder what it'll wind up being named. And, of course, what sort of launch titles will be available. They only have 2 months...

Will Nintendo be able to follow up with their bait-and-switch strategy from Hell and have some awesome new title(s) to lead things off with (DKC2 Returns from Retro, maybe?)? Or will they rely on the 3DS and the Wii's trump card (Skyward Sword) to keep the momentum going until the 'Cafe' gets its bearings?

Deadwood_Zen
25th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Hm... Hopefully it can compete with PS2/260 graphics-wise. More games wouldn't hurt. Then again, I shouldn't get my hopes up...

Blademaster
26th April 2011, 06:52 PM
Actually, it's reportedly stronger than the Xbox360 and PS3.