PDA

View Full Version : I'm effing mad.

DarkestLight
12th May 2011, 09:22 PM
True Story (http://gaming.icrontic.com/article/nea-video-games-are-an-art-form)

The US federal government, by way of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), now considers video games a form of art, making a true step toward recognition for the oft under-recognized form.

WHAT IS THIS? (http://gaming.icrontic.com/news/the-smithsonians-video-game-list-revealed/)

SMITHSONIAN IS A BUNCH OF FOOLS! FOOLS DAMNIT!

Oslo
12th May 2011, 09:43 PM
Yay, flOw made the cut! :)

(Maybe I'm just not a big enough gamer because I really dun have a problem with that list. :s: Sorry.)

classy_cat18
12th May 2011, 10:19 PM
Major props to those who put Rez on the list. How did Zak and Wiki make it on there?

Also, shouldn't this be in Video Games?

DarkestLight
12th May 2011, 10:50 PM
Someone can move it if they wish, but I figured it could evolve into a general discussion about Art and Video Games either way, so I guess it could go there :O

Blademaster
13th May 2011, 02:20 PM
Who the fuck put STAR STRIKE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUm_55M6tnQ&feature=related) on that list?!

Jeff
13th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Another big WTF is the lack of Sonic games other than SA1. Then again, it could be worse. They could have picked Sonic '06 to represent the series.

The_Missing_Link
13th May 2011, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see Roger Ebert play Flower and tell me it's not art

RedStarWarrior
13th May 2011, 05:03 PM
The problem is that the Smithsonian was stupid enough to ask the public what to put on there. They should have only consulted experts in the video game industry, such as historians, developers (individuals, not companies), etc.

The fucking public is stupid.

crown34
13th May 2011, 05:17 PM
Well Minecraft belongs there for sure.

Telume
14th May 2011, 01:26 AM
Wait, does this mean Portal will be included on this now?

Drago
14th May 2011, 01:52 AM
Star Fox: Assault
:sweat:

Cynder
14th May 2011, 06:06 AM
SimCity? WTF? Ahh well, quite possibly the coolest game ever is in there... Okami FTW!

But since most of the games seem to be classics, than why the hell is pokemon red or blue not in there?

Jeff
14th May 2011, 08:03 AM
Or ANY Pokémon game for that matter. Seriously. Epic fail.

DarkestLight
14th May 2011, 08:51 AM
See this is what I mean. At first I thought I was being nostalgic about what I felt were games that quite literally could be seen as art. So instinctively, I went off because I saw no Sonic 1-which really introduced a new sensation of speed to home consoles (I'd say Sonic 2 did moreso, but still...)

I had to search to find the original ballot...can't find it. But I did find the criteria

Ha...even better (http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/winninggames.pdf)

That's what I was looking for. Here is the list of all the games, the winners and the categorical breakdown. I wanna know what you all would have voted for-and now I have more reason to go to the damn Smithsonian. Maybe this can tie in with the TPM meetup? Huh, there's a logical idea :O.

Wow. Earthworm Jim vs Sonic CD and Moonwalker. Moonwalker, hell no. But damn, I'd be torn too between Jim and SCD.

WHAT? HTF DID TOMB RAIDER BEAT NIGHTS! Nights was a hell of a more cleaner, psychadelic at times but fantastical shove into aerial motion and artistic transition while still being a flying (and terrestrial if you sucked) game.

OOMFG!! I WISH I KNEW ABOUT THIS >O!

FFVIII BEAT GRANDIA. No. Fanboy written all OVER that choice. The art in Grandia FAR. FAR. FAR. usurps anything in FFVII and I love both of those games. Hell, I'm shocked they even picked Grandia, Good on ya there...

Wind Waker beat ToS? >.> I'm really getting sick of all the Zelda hype.

classy_cat18
14th May 2011, 10:54 AM
No way! Choosing between LttP, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound is one sadistic choice! Couldn't they have put all three in that exhibit?

I can't believe they had Clockwork Knight up there...I used to like that game.

...Don't judge me.

And Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 over Ikaruga? Wait, couldn't they have had put Ikaruga down in Gamecube where it belongs? Who were the idiots who catagorized these games!?

DarkestLight
14th May 2011, 12:00 PM
And Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 over Ikaruga? Wait, couldn't they have had put Ikaruga down in Dreamcast where it belongs? Who were the idiots who catagorized these games!?

Fixed for accuracy cuz DC pwns GC

classy_cat18
14th May 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm just saying that if they really had to pick a Target for Gamecube, they should've saved Ikaruga for that and saved us from Star Fox: Assault. Dreamcast has a good choice for Target already!

Blademaster
14th May 2011, 12:47 PM
Wait, that .pdf didn't clarify anything. What were the criteria? Just picking shit out of a hat and then narrowing it down from 240 to 80?