PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] G-G-G-Ghosts!

mattbcl
31st May 2011, 08:58 PM
Anybody else think it'd have been fun to capture the ghost Marowak in Lavender Town's Pokémon Tower? Personally, I feel it'd have been a novel concept to make that one a unique capture - imagine having a Ground/Ghost-Type Marowak at your disposal. STAB on any Ghost moves you put on it, can't be hit by Normal attacks, just to name a couple fun conceptual perks.

While on the subject, if Marowak's not your cup of tea, what Pokémon would you have liked to see as the haunting presence of the tower? Scyther? Rapidash? Bellsprout? Magikarp? (I'm going to hell for that one...)

Poryhedron
31st May 2011, 09:18 PM
STAB on Ghost-type moves wouldn't have been that big a deal in RBY. The only move it would affect is Lick.

If I could have chosen a pokémon to wind up part Ghost-type in RBY, it would probably be a Normal-type, since Normal's only weakness is Fighting and Ghosts are immune to Fighting. Ghost's only weakness back then was Ghost, and Normal-types are immune to Ghost attacks...so, pretty much a weakness-free pokémon who gets STAB on moves like Body Slam, Tri Attack and Hyper Beam and is immune to Normal, Fighting, and Lick.

Blademaster
1st June 2011, 12:35 AM
Ghost Porygon.

Do the impossible.

Mr.E
3rd June 2011, 11:37 PM
And yet Fighting was junk in RBY anyway, so the immunity is about as meaningful as Ghost STAB would be...

Blademaster
4th June 2011, 03:30 PM
Fighting has NEVER been junk. Even with limited movesets, Primeape, Machoke/Machamp, and Hitmonlee were outright motherfuckers to contend with.

Granted the abundance of Poison was sort of annoying, but most every Fighting type could learn Dig or Earthquake, so...

Poryhedron
4th June 2011, 04:29 PM
Was Poison really the problem with Fighters back then? I'd think it was the fact that Psychic was the top of the heap and Fighting can't handle Psychic.

Blademaster
4th June 2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah but what idiot sends out a Fighting Pokemon to deal with a Psychic with no way to counter it?

Magmar
12th June 2011, 09:35 AM
The best strategy for fighting pokemon in RBY was to have a quick one that had high attack like Hitmonlee, give it a move like Body Slam and hope for paralysis on that alakazam. A second body slam if it stays paralyzed and the fight is over.

Mr.E
24th June 2011, 10:51 PM
The problem with Fighting pokémon is that there weren't any good Fighting MOVES in RBY, Hitmonlee the only exception with Hi Jump Kick and it's just too slow and god-awful fragile. Otherwise, Machamp would be probably be at least decent. It was one of the best in GSC once it got Cross Chop.

Toucan Sundae
25th June 2011, 02:53 AM
It would work the same way with any psychic type in RBY, wouldn't it?

I seem to remember ghost type attacks being completely resisted by Psychic types. So a Ghost/Psychic would have no weaknesses either (as bug does not-very effective against ghost type), so something like ghost/psychic Alakazam would kill everyone forever.

NidoSpeedRan?
21st July 2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry for the late post, I'm new here. ^_^

I honestly think that Mew would be a good ghostly presence here. Only trick is to make it unable to capture.

Or maybe a starter pokemon that is opposite to your starter type? Second evolution, and a high level?

But in all honesty, I liked the Marowak. It was a sick pokemon. I just wish I had caught it.... =(

Whitlea
27th July 2011, 01:43 PM
I felt very sorry for the spirit of Marowak and was more happy letting it go in peace rather than capturing it. What Team Rocket did was wrong and it deserved to rest rather than go through countless more battles. For me, the games aren't just about battling but understanding the storylines and characters. If I could see another spirit of a PoKéMoN in the games then I would have liked it to be perhaps a Lapras that you could only encounter at nights whilst traveling oversea or in a cave. Would have been creepy but fun!

mymyilikepie
31st July 2011, 08:53 AM
A ghost type Scyther. Hell ya

23Fists
26th October 2011, 09:11 PM
I would love a Ghost Sandslash or Ghost Nidoking because they are my 2 favorites :3

mattbcl
26th October 2011, 09:33 PM
Ghost Sandslash would definitely be awesome. And ghost Nidoking would actually be a fairly simple build, game-wise - it's half-Poison, so replace the Ground type with Ghost and the resists are exactly the same as with Gastly/Haunter/Gengar.