PDA

View Full Version : How did you come up with your names?

Drago
6th June 2011, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by... I have no idea, back in July '06.

So, how'd you come up with your usernames? Not just for TPM, but others, too.

DragoKnight was the result of struggling to come up with a username after I discovered that my first choice, Draco, had already been taken. Draco was the name of my first Dragonite, and I guess I wanted to stay with the dragon theme, so I just fiddled with the Dragonite name itself. Funnily enough, I'm occasionally referred to on here as 'Drago' these days, quite similar to my original choice.

Also, one day before I joined as DragoKnight, I had already registered the username Antman. I made three posts, then decided I didn't like it. Antman = common nickname for Anthony. Yessum.

Oslo
6th June 2011, 06:37 AM
Absolute lamest username origin ever: I have a thing for national capitals. I don't know why. I'm a bit of a geography buff in that respect, I guess. "Oslo" is just my favourite by name, though I could have just as easily been Cardiff or Asunción or Belgrade or Manila. Oreos for anyone who can name the nation that corresponds to each of the above capitals without using Wikipedia.

Man, I am just a beacon of coolness. :cool2:

mattbcl
6th June 2011, 06:39 AM
The "matt" part should be fairly obvious. The "bcl" part, on the other hand, has never been. When I was a kid I was "encouraged" (read: forced) to take Band as a class, so I was told to pick an instrument. I happened to see a picture of a bass clarinet and thought it looked strange... for those who don't know, it basically looks like a clarinet that's been twisted to match the general shape of a saxophone. Being one to stretch boundaries as far as I could in my own little form of rebellion, I chose that for concert band and stuck with it for 6 years.

I might not have taken this particular screen name but for my mom, whose screen name is very similar, so I guess you could call it an homage (her name is also four letters and she has shortened the name of her primary instrument to three letters for her own screen name). Also, it's been a long time since I've played my BCL but I have a harder time remembering a lot of screen names and passwords. I find it easier just sticking to one.

ChobiChibi
6th June 2011, 06:49 AM
Olso, Cardiff is the capital of Wales. Oreos plz :D

Matt I have a new found respect for you. I played Bass Clarinet for 5 years in my concert band. They're the best instrument ever! I had to give mine back to the music service, but if I ever get the chance to buy one I will.

My username story is a bit lame. I was totally into drawing Chibis, and my friend's username was moshimishi, so I sorta copied her ^^; But I had a name change 3 years or so ago. No Oreos to the person who knows what that was.

Magmar
6th June 2011, 06:49 AM
Absolute lamest username origin ever: I have a thing for national capitals. I don't know why. I'm a bit of a geography buff in that respect, I guess. "Oslo" is just my favourite by name, though I could have just as easily been Cardiff or Asunción or Belgrade or Manila. Oreos for anyone who can name the nation that corresponds to each of the above capitals without using Wikipedia.

Man, I am just a beacon of coolness. :cool2:

Manila = The Philippines, like manila folders, not manila wafers:partyhat:
Belgrade = ...............No Idea.
Cardiff = Wales! I'm partly of Welsh heritage :P
Asuncion = Paraguay, one of my best friends was adopted from Asuncion.

Why am I magmar? //roll &dice=1 &sides=151
the result was 126.
yes.

I was "rude boy" on here for a while because I got hammered one night and thought changing it was a good idea

Jeff
6th June 2011, 07:03 AM
My parents gave it to me.
The end.

OK, there is a little more to it than that. My full first name is Jeffrey, which is what my family calls me (since they call my dad Jeff), but my friends have always called me Jeff. I used to correct them, but now I go by either one. When I joined, I guess I chose Jeff over Jeffrey because I was still being a bit rebellious.

I also go by Jeff02 at some sites. The 02 part comes from 2002, which is when I graduated high school. When I was in high school, it was popular to put your graduation year in your screen name, so that's how that started.

On AIM and YouTube, I'm IslanderJeff02. The "Islander" part comes from where I live, Kent Island, Maryland.

mattbcl
6th June 2011, 07:04 AM
Chobi: No kidding? Okay, now I know I'm among friends here. Even as much as I hated playing it for the longest time, I did find myself pining to play an instrument of some kind for a long time afterward (I also had to give mine back to music service). Then my mom, who's in 2 or 3 different symphonies throughout the year, heard one of their bass clarinettists was going to retire and intended to sell one he wasn't using anymore. $400 later, mine's under my bed. Doesn't see much light but I'll get it out once in a while. My skill and embouchere have languished, though. Anything above high G and I have to really strain.

nsmbwii
6th June 2011, 07:06 AM
nsmbwii was what I had been using since 2008 for usernames for sites, and I only use it here because it's easy to remember.

Oslo
6th June 2011, 07:35 AM
Oreos to Chobi and Magmar. Belgrade, incidentally, is the capital of Serbia.

The More You Know.

nsmbwii was what I had been using since 2008 for usernames for sites, and I only use it here because it's easy to remember.

This might make me sound dumb, but doesn't your name come from New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Didn't that game not come out until, like, 2009?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th June 2011, 09:43 AM
Belgrade, incidentally, is the capital of Serbia.

I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS ONE!

Anyway, I came up with Mikachu Yukitatsu in 2001 or something. Mikachu from Pokemon's Pikachu and my own name Mikael. Yuki is snow and tatsu dragon. I like winter. Also, Yuki has the same syllable as my middle name Juhana (note the Finnish pronunciation) and Tanska is my surname. There're abbrevations, too, Mika, Mikachu, MY, MYT and mikayuta.

I also use the name tanksatsuken which comes from my surname and Odin's sword from Final Fantasy videogames, zantetsuken!

Zak
6th June 2011, 10:25 AM
It is my name!

But I was SpinaZak238 back in 2001... was just trying to think of some Pokemon I could fit it with, since this was the POKEmasters. It was actually almost Zakdos... as for the 238, it was just to match my AIM sn at the time.

Telume
6th June 2011, 10:37 AM
I've been using this name for a while now but, it's the name of one of my characters, Telume Ebspen, which is my AIM name is the character's first and last name. I mainly use him in roleplays I do on IRC. He's half-Gallade, half-Human able to switch between either form.

pic:
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1237/telumezebspen.png (http://img847.imageshack.us/i/telumezebspen.png/)

DivineAll
6th June 2011, 11:10 AM
I wanted a name that was basically all-purpose for login-reasons. It also had to sound like it was all-purpose but was easy to remember. In the end, the All part is for the all-purpose reasons, and the Divine part sounded all-purpose to me, at the time. Thus, DivineAll... or AllDivine for other places when I feel like mixing it up.

Lady Vulpix
6th June 2011, 11:40 AM
Ah, this poll shows up once in a while but I can't find any of my old answers so I'll retype it.

I first joined a Yahoo Group called "Manga Anime & Comics Zone". I was using my real name there, but I noticed most members had usernames related to the theme of the group, so I started thinking of a name that would suit me. I never did change my name in there, but the idea was already bouncing in my head. When I finally stumbled upon TPM and decided to create an account, I resumed the thought process where I'd left it: it would have to be Pokemon-related, a Pokemon I liked and which I could somehow relate to, but my username would also have to make my gender clear because I didn't like the prospect of people getting it wrong. And so, the name Lady Vulpix was born!

Cynder
6th June 2011, 02:49 PM
I went through quite a lot of different screen names before I reached this one - the first (and worst) was 'ponyta lover', not capitalised because I was 8 and had no regards for grammar at all. Cynder came from the character from Spyro the dragon, and I guess it just stuck. As the final part of my DA name is 'AlmondEyes', I'll explain that too. Yeah, I'll explain that there is no explanation xD I had a random moment of inspiration and wanted a different name for Smogon (which I never use ironically) and when it came to DA both names were taken so I stuck with AlmondEyes on the end of Cynder so ended up with 'CyndersAlmondEyes' as my name on DA. Yeah, random stupid usernames ftw. Oh yeah, I knew where Cardiff is. Turns out I don't live that far away from Wales :P.

ChobiChibi
6th June 2011, 04:18 PM
Ha, I don't live that far from Wales either. I dunno about you, but I could hop in a car, drive about an hour until I reach a bridge and be in Cardiff soon after. TORCHWOOD <3

Blademaster
6th June 2011, 05:38 PM
I used to love Yu-Gi-Oh!, and my favorite card was called the Buster Blader. He was and still is the star of my Warrior deck and he and his soldiers kicked EVERYONE'S asses.

I was the master of Buster Blader. The rest just sorta fell into place by itself.

Becky
6th June 2011, 06:16 PM
Mine's my real name, and I like it, so I use it.

Some people address me as Rebecca. Whichever is fine! :)

mattbcl
6th June 2011, 06:21 PM
Becky: Soon enough you're probably going to be The Doctor.

Fett One
6th June 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm a Star Wars fan. I came up with my name by combining Boba Fett's name with the name of his ship the Slave One to get Fett One.

Becky
6th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Matt: nice. :) Good idea for a future name... Dr. Becky!

Shadow Wolf
7th June 2011, 09:13 AM
Jajaja, imagination runs wild... even on usernames. :)

Hmm... my username has some kind of stupid/dark background, but I guess I don't feel ashamed to say it...

The first username was pretty obvious (shinypkmnchaser - shiny... pokemon... chaser...). At that time, I had as much obsession on finding a shiny pokemon as I have now on finding peearlescent weapons on Borderlands.

However, I though of getting a username in which I could feel identified all my life.

As some of you might know, we sometimes get compared with other people. In my case, my family compares me with my brother, usually putting him in a more successful level than me. Thus I always felt like I will be only a shadow of him (my fam telling me to follow him [like a shadow follows you when you walk away from it] but me doing the opposite [running from his image when it tries to reach me])

And the wolf part... Wolves are usually seen as lone animals, even though in reality, they hang together in packs. That's how I identify myself also: being a lone person though I don't mind joining a group, as long as the group knows how to behave. Plus wolves are usually portrayed in the night howling at the moon. That how I would say that my muse for poetry surges (at night: in my lone space and time. howling at the moon: my poems usually being dedicated to a girl I like.)

So yeah, that's how Shadow Wolf is born.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
7th June 2011, 10:57 AM
My name's Alex and I was the Austrian vicemaster in the 2000 Pokémon championship, playing with level 100 Pokémon. Simple as that.

Bear
7th June 2011, 03:02 PM
So, how'd you come up with your usernames? Not just for TPM, but others, too.

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/uploaded_images/Bear-Grandfather-Mtn-Tim-Floyd-779608.jpg

MeLoVeGhOsTs
7th June 2011, 04:02 PM
I like..ghosts?

DarkestLight
7th June 2011, 05:15 PM
Bear & MLG ftw

:p Me? Long story short, I like oxymorons. I'll type the rest later, waaay too busy selling stuff on EBAY.

Heald
8th June 2011, 02:52 PM
It's a Scottish word for a god-like force that strikes like lightning and booms like thunder.

Not really, it's just my name. Lol.