PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Drago
6th June 2011, 05:48 AM
Originally a thread by Metallixs Girl in January '06 (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12685)

Well, the original thread was more about MG's distaste for how caffeine was addictive and marketed to kids, but I figure I might as well just gauge the general stance on caffeine.

In my case, I am well addicted to caffeine. Coffee more so than soda drinks. The latter I drank a lot more when I was younger, but I guess coffee kind of filled my need for caffeine. I basically need coffee in order to operate in the morning, and whenever I'm filming something, I'll typically need several cups in order to stay focused and sharp.

Over the last few years, I've also had an unhealthy addiction to energy drinks. Loved those suckers. This kind of made sense, considering that for about the entire year of 2008, I was working night shifts until 2 am, and not getting home until 4. I must admit, seeing energy drinks gives me a weird kind of tick or twitch in my face. If they're discounted in any way, I have to resist an almighty urge to buy buy buy.

I also drink several cups of tea a day. I guess if you don't really care much about caffeine, feel free to discuss what else you drink, too.

Magmar
6th June 2011, 06:55 AM
I have a Dunkin Donuts coffee and sandwich (#5, kudos if you know what a #5 is) every Friday before work. I used to do this every day. Now I do it once a week because I'd rather have abs than flabs. :P

However I do brew my own coffee from home and sometimes if I have to open at work go to the Nordstrom eBar for a coffee, but I use skim milk and cancerous substitutes for sugar.

In the afternoons, I'll sometimes have unsweetened green tea with lemons which has some caffeine. I'm allergic to chocolate and don't drink soda so this is the extent of my caffeine!

shazza
6th June 2011, 07:07 AM
A coincidence I was reading this article (http://www.news.com.au/business/business-smarts/too-much-coffee-and-stress-can-lead-to-hallucinations-la-trobe-university-study-warns/story-e6frfm9r-1226070379743) previously, as well as posted a status on Facebook a few hours observing the anxiety ridden nature that caffeine can provoke from lack of sleep -- "All drinking coffee achieves after 4 hours sleep is 100 manic thoughts at once that makes no sense."

I love the taste of coffee. Cappuccinos are my favourite. But if I've had over 7 hours sleep, I try to refrain from it since it gives me this manic high with a dreary come down. I try to alternatively drink green tea; I have about 5 cups a day. Although today has been an exception.

Same with energy drinks. I used to drink V's during uni, but I've switched to Mother mainly when I need one. Love the taste but try to have it as a sometimes thing. Hate the taste of Redbull because it reminds me of Jagermesiter and an incident when 17.

Magmar
6th June 2011, 07:12 AM
Ha shazza for the same reason, I can no longer drink Red Bull. I very, very rarely have an energy drink (I'd say 2-3 a year lol only if I'm in dire straits with school stuff)... Didn't even think of that.

Four Loko, however... :partyhat:

Oslo
6th June 2011, 07:33 AM
This past year transformed me from a coffee celibate to an addict. It was that sudden. I adore coffee and it's really not hard to come by when the average university campus is armed with at least 40,000 coffee outlets.

I'll only Red Bull after an all-nighter or if I'm doing a graveyard shift after little sleep. Tastes like candy. My mind's latent connection between it and Jager hasn't spoiled my love/appreciation for it.

shazza
6th June 2011, 07:44 AM
While I despise the taste of Red Bull alone, I can now enjoy Jagermeister once more or do Jagerbombs without hesitation. It's just the taste of Red Bull alone.

Blademaster
6th June 2011, 05:19 PM
I don't consume caffeine anymore. Only the rare bit of chocolate gets it into my system now.

Heald
8th June 2011, 03:03 PM
I've basically stopped drinking coffee and moved onto world teas, which are awesome. I don't drink them for the caffeine, I drink them for the taste.

As for caffeine, I rarely have energy drinks anymore, and when I do, it isn't for the energy, it's for stuff like Jagerbombs or vodka-Red Bulls.

I do take caffeine pills out with me on a night out as tiredness is an absolute killer for me with my job, so if I go out drinking or have a night on the town after work, I'll be packing caffeine pills to keep me ticking along.

RedStarWarrior
9th June 2011, 10:54 PM
Tea HAS caffeine in it.

Heald
10th June 2011, 01:15 AM
I know, hence why I said 'I don't drink it for the caffeine'.

Try to keep up sport :)

crown34
10th June 2011, 05:13 AM
Used to chug Monster like water... then quit after I got really sick from it once.

Becky
10th June 2011, 09:19 PM
I love a good cappuccino or espresso, and coffee in general, but sometimes I do have to be in the mood for it. Anyone here a fellow Starbucks Gold card member?

I also like Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, but we don't have those in the Midwest.

Lady Vulpix
10th June 2011, 09:31 PM
I also drink several cups of tea again (or infusions in general). Some of them have caffeine, others don't. I don't really care during the day, but I make sure not to drink anything with caffeine after 10PM, to prevent myself from losing sleep because of it (I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, caffeine can only make it worse). In any case, I love drinking tea, I can enjoy mate every now and then, but not coffee or sodas, let alone energy drinks.

shazza
10th June 2011, 09:58 PM

:lol:

Gavin Luper
11th June 2011, 12:06 AM
I can only surmise that I'm caffeine-dependent since I don't recall the last day I went without either a coffee or a tea ... for the last year at least.

But I've actually moderated my intake a lot better now. Last year I was drinking anywhere from two to five coffees (espressos or cappuccinos) every single day while I was working full-time.

Back at uni now so I mostly just have one soy chai latte or English Breakfast tea in the mornings and that's enough; or maybe a Camomile tea at night, but there's no caffeine there.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of energy-drink haters ... I can't stand the taste of any of them, but like others, give me a Jagerbomb and I'll be fine with it.

abunaidesu
11th June 2011, 07:59 PM
The only caffeine I ever consume anymore is in white tea. I've been trying to cut back on Starbucks and other overpriced coffee shops.

RedStarWarrior
12th June 2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah, yeah. I don't think I was responding to you, but I could have sworn someone said tea didn't have caffeine in it. I was tired, though, so I blame that.

DarkestLight
12th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Hrm. I drank coffee from 11 years old to 12 yrs old-and now I never touch it. Think I overloaded my brain on it. I drink clear sodas mostly (Sprite), sometime orange or grape. Never liked dark soda. Must be the caffeine that turns me off, that or the syrup.

Energy drinks are a no-no. The last time I had one I went on a 4 day bender. Didn't crash hard, it was just hyperactivity all the time, even I wasn't liking it.

Uhh yeah, that's about it. Just juice really :O

Blademaster
12th June 2011, 06:37 PM
Not totally related, but I'm interested in brewing some sweet tea since summer is upon us. I already have a method, but I'm not sure if the tea is gonna be too bitter or not. The method calls for 4 teabags for about half a gallon.

Too strong?

abunaidesu
12th June 2011, 10:15 PM
Not totally related, but I'm interested in brewing some sweet tea since summer is upon us. I already have a method, but I'm not sure if the tea is gonna be too bitter or not. The method calls for 4 teabags for about half a gallon.

Too strong?

4 pitcher-size cold-brew tea bags
2 quarts cold water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
sliced lemons (optional)
sliced oranges (optional)
mint sprigs (optional)

Place the tea bags in a large pitcher. (I like to wrap the string around a wooden spoon and suspend it over the rim of the pitcher so I don't have to fish out the bags). Add the 2 quarts of cold water and steep for 30 minutes to one hour depending on how strong you like your tea.

Meanwhile, combine the 1/2 cup of sugar and the 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat.

Remove the tea bags, squeezing them by pressing against the wooden spoon. Add the sugar mixture and stir until combined. Pour over ice and garnish with lemon, orange, or mint if desired.